veracity of evolution

richrf

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 07:34 pm
@Pathfinder,
Pathfinder;86743 wrote:
Biology= the study of life AFTER its conception

From what I understand, this is considered the limits of biology and evolutionary theory.

Rich
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 07:37 pm
@richrf,
richrf;86718 wrote:
I am speaking directly about Darwin's Theory.
No one cares about Darwin's theory except for historians of science. Evolutionary biology owes nothing more than historical credit to Darwin. The Theory of Evolution and all of the supporting science stand perfectly fine on its own without Darwin.

richrf;86718 wrote:
1) Life emerged from matter.

2) Life emerged from living processes.

Both are claimed to be facts. I would like to know which of these two are facts or are they both facts, or are neither facts. If either or both of these are facts, I would like to know what makes them facts.

Both of these pertain to Darwin's Theory
No they don't, Darwin's theory does not address the origin of life.

And seeing the way you present these as dichotomous, I'm not sure you know what you mean by the word "matter" or the term "living processes". If these were meant to be credible scientific propositions, I'd suggest using more precise language.
0 Replies

Berner

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 07:38 pm
@Pathfinder,
richrf;86738 wrote:
Yes, I was debating the above declarations. If anyone wants to comment on them, I would appreciate it.

They aren't really my field of study so no help there.

richrf;86738 wrote:

OK. It is an plausible explanation. I would agree with that also. However, what is considered plausible needs to be defined more precisely. I would say that I have talked to people who do not think it is plausible, and they may represent the majority of the population on earth.

Truth isn't affected by what the majority thinks. 1000 years ago all of Europe thought the Sun revolved around the Earth. That didn't make it so.

richrf;86738 wrote:

Are you describing this as a well confirmed, theory of what happened in the past and how species evolved? If so, can you give me a brief description of how this was confirmed?

Genetics and Paleontology. Go to:

www.talkorigins.com

They have a lot of the documented, sourced evidence about this stuff which is too much to be posted here.

richrf;86738 wrote:
Would you put Relativity and Quantum theories which make no representation of what happened in the past, but are purely predictive in nature, in the same class as theories such as species evolution theories which purport to explain what happened in the past. I realize that they may be both theories, but a theory that is purely predictive to me is completely different than one that suggests something may have happened millions of years ago. How does one distinguish the two, or is it necessary to distinguish the two.

Evolution does make predictions though. It makes predictions about the types of fossils that two species' ancestors ie Between dinosaurs to birds there should be a species that displays characteristics both found in birds and dinosaurs (see Archaeopteryx). It makes predictions about what things that should be seen in the genomes of two animals that are related ie the fusion of two great ape chromosomes to form humans number 2 chromosome.

richrf;86738 wrote:

Yes, but the example you gave does not purport to explain who made the shoe, how you purchased it, and what gave you the idea to throw it in the air. The two, for me, are completely different. Now, if you told me that Newton's Law not only predicts that the shoe will fall to the ground and the shoe was purchased at Zappo and was shipped via UPS because UPS was the cheapest way to ship it, then I would have a problem. The former part is predictive and repeatable, the latter part is pure speculation.

Again that's not evolution like I said earlier. Also I won't comment on it since it's not in my field of discipline, and not something I've studied in depth.
richrf;86738 wrote:

Thanks for helping me understand your perspective. I hope I have explained mine clearly even if we may disagree.

Rich

Thank you for at least entertaining the possibility.

Pathfinder;86743 wrote:
Again as I have pointed out so many times here, what these people are talking about is AFTER the fact. All of this biologic process and function is AFTER life has been given.

How do you know there was something to "give" life?

Pathfinder;86743 wrote:

They cannot answer the question of the concept of life other than what life is AFTER it is conceived.

Biology= the study of life AFTER its conception

Once again:

EVOLUTION PERTAINS TO THE BIODIVERSITY WE SEE. THE THEORY IS NOT CONCERNED WITH WHERE THE LIFE CAME FROM.

Pathfinder;86743 wrote:

The only answers they have come up with is that life comes from potassium, life comes from the earth matter, and that life comes from the process of life.

If you really think this is the stand of the study of Abiogenesis then you haven't really looked too deeply into it.

Pathfinder;86743 wrote:

We may have to rest our case here as well and call it a day unless they can figure out how to respond sensibly.

It'd be nice if you respond to some of the answers given to you. We might as well just label you as a creationist troll and ignore you from now on in this thread.

Pathfinder;86743 wrote:

Oh and Oden, no no I am not going to say you got OWNED, I was just going to say that when I was in high school taking biology we were clearly taught that it was hypothetical theory. Much more is known today, but nothing that can declare it as a factual process of life.

Observation has shown that species change over time. Evolution happens. Quit covering your ears and screaming LALALALALALALALALA.
prothero

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 07:42 pm
@richrf,
richrf;86718 wrote:

For me a plausible explanation is different from a fact. Are they the same? The whole discussion began with several forum members declaring evolution as a fact. Which is it? A plausible explanation or a fact?

When you say that evolution is a well confirmed theory, can you define for me how you define evolutionary theory? What I object to is seeing something in a microscope change (I see things change all the time), and then declare this is what happened millions of years ago. So, I would like to know what you mean by evolutionary theory.

And to be explicit, do you believe that Darwin's Theory of the Origin of the Species is a Theory or Fact? I am using your definition of Theory. I do not know yet what your definition of fact is?
Thanks.Rich

Semantics and linguistic analysis have never been a big interest of mine. So arguing about facts, opinions, beliefs and theories and the differences between them do not hold great interest.

In general a fact is something that can be empirically confirmed and verified independent of any general theory. Uranium decays into lead at a steady and verifable rate.. Fossils of a certain type are found in rocks of a certain age. The living things those fossils represent can no longer be found on the earth . The DNA of mokeys is 98% homologous with the DNA of humans, etc.

Evolution as a theory, ties together the observed facts in the biosphere and in the fossil record as well as observations from genetics, anatomy, physiology and all other major fields of biology. Evolution is THE unifying theory in all of biology. Evolution is not a fact. It represents truth by coherence, consistency, correspondence and consensus but, it is a theory not a fact. Theories are actually more powerful than facts

My larger interest is in distinqhishing the theory of evolution from the metaphysical assertions that people make about the theory. Evolution is a historical process. It can not be demonstrated by laboratory experiment or repeated in its details.

Evolutionary theory properly understood as a scientific theory says nothing about whether the process is "blind and indifferent" or "spirit expressing itself through matter". Assertions such as these are not scientific, they are not part of the theory of evolution, they are metaphysical assumptions or philosophical speculations pure and simple.

Materialists, atheists, and mechanistic determinists like to seize upon evolution as confirming their metaphysical worldviews. It does nothing of the kind. It is merely compatible with them. Evolution as a theory is also compatible with several forms of naturalistc theism as opposed to supernatural theism. Such metaphysical assertions are mislabeled as science in an effort to use the power of the label "science" to confirm materialist and atheistic "metaphysics".
Pathfinder

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 07:46 pm
@odenskrigare,
Im not a creationist and I am not disputing that species changes over time, and I am not disputing the possibility of evolution.

And what Rich had in his post above about life coming from matter and a life process was his quoting what someone else said.

These were answers to our question about where life comes from.

The only answer we got to our question was that life comes from potassium, life comes from earth matter, and that life comes from life processes already established.

These are the answers we received to our question.

I have responded to all the questions given to me, and I await their response to the question of how life originates in a living form. Something besides it was always there, or it came from the earth.
ACB

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 07:50 pm
@Pathfinder,
Pathfinder - Can you please have a look at my post #251 and let me have your comments on it.

I think you are raising a valid phenomenological question. If one considers life not from an objective, biological point of view, but from a subjective, first-personal, 'inside' point of view, then the question of where life (individual identity, the 'self') comes from and goes to, at conception and death respectively, is a mysterious and interesting one. However, as I have explained in post #251, I think it is a separate issue from biological evolution (please study closely my reasons for thinking this). So I think your argument would be more appropriate to the metaphysics forum; I would be happy to discuss it there.
Aedes

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 07:58 pm
@Pathfinder,
Pathfinder;86763 wrote:
The only answer we got to our question was that life comes from potassium, life comes from earth matter, and that life comes from life processes already established.

These are the answers we received to our question.
Life has chemical constituents, just as any other matter in the world does. The major chemical constituents are organic molecules, i.e. carbon/hydrogen - based molecules. The most common atomic elements in living things, by far, are carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen, phosphorus, and sulfur, though many others (iron, magnesium, iodine, zinc, sodium, potassium) are known to participate in biological processes.

In other words, the chemical constituents of life have the same old inorganic building blocks as anything else. The carbon in my body's organic molecules is the same carbon that you'll find in graphite. The iron in my hemoglobin is the same you'll find in iron ore. Etc.

So this leads us to the decision point -- do you think that life suddenly *poofed* into existence by the arbitrary assemblage of all this inorganic stuff? If not, then you don't believe in divine creation.

Alternatively, one can surmise that this process happened slowly, over eons, in an environment rife with chemical substrate and full of energy (which is necessary to catalyze reactions) -- and this process took place on a massive scale, i.e. the entire surface of the earth.

The latter explanation sure makes a lot more sense, even if we don't know exactly how it transpired or what the earliest "proto"-life forms looked like.

What we know from experimental evidence is that if you take the inorganic chemical constituents, put them in water, and bombard them with energy, organic molecules are spontaneously generated, even amino acids. For technical reasons (i.e. the microscopic scale and time course of such an experiment), I doubt "life" will ever arise from it. But I think we have a compelling idea of how life came into being.
Pathfinder

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 07:59 pm
@ACB,
ACB;86764 wrote:
Pathfinder - Can you please have a look at my post #251 and let me have your comments on it.

I think you are raising a valid phenomenological question. If one considers life not from an objective, biological point of view, but from a subjective, first-personal, 'inside' point of view, then the question of where life (individual identity, the 'self') comes from and goes to, at conception and death respectively, is a mysterious and interesting one. However, as I have explained in post #251, I think it is a separate issue from biological evolution (please study closely my reasons for thinking this). So I think your argument would be more appropriate to the metaphysics forum; I would be happy to discuss it there.

Okay ACB taking into consideration that Rich has peaked my curiosity about chinese metaphysics I will open a thread there and get bavk to you.
0 Replies

richrf

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 08:00 pm
@prothero,
prothero;86759 wrote:
Semantics and linguistic analysis have never been a big interest of mind. So arguing about facts, opinions, beliefs and theories and the differences between them do not hold great interest.

Yes, I agree. It is only of interest when someone proclaims a fact when it is a theory or speculation. Declaring something as a fact, tends to terminate discussion.

prothero;86759 wrote:
In general a fact is something that can be empirically confirmed and verified independent of any general theory.

Sounds fine to me, though whether we the measurements we are making are reliable can be debated. Fossil dating does change over time and therefore facts do change.

prothero;86759 wrote:
Evolution as a theory, ties together the observed facts in the biosphere and in the fossil record as well as observations from genetics, anatomy, physiology and all other major fields of biology. Evolution is THE unifying theory in all of biology. Evolution is not a fact. It represents truth by coherence, consistency, correspondence and consensus but,i t is a theory not a fact.

Sounds reasonable. I have no problem with someone coming up with an idea that is plausible theory. The question is plausibility in the eyes of the beholder. Many people, including myself, feel that science has taken a big leap from what has been observed into what they embrace within the evolutionary theory. I would say that there are many little theories explaining many different aspects of biology, but tying them all together is a big leap.

In physics there is the math. And from the math, we are able to say that there is no way at present to unify Relativity and Quantum Physics. So the math keeps the physicists in check. There is no such check on biologists who appear to make all type of assertions about a broad range of topics by simply putting it under the general, safe umbrella of evolutionary theory. A safe place to hide, even when there is no substantiating observations.

prothero;86759 wrote:
My larger interest is in distinqhishing the theory of evolution from the metaphysical assertions that people make about the theory. Evolution is a historical process. It can not be demonstrated by laboratory experiment or repeated in its details.

This is precisely the leap that troubles me. When one talks about historical processes, there are things that have been observed and things that have never been observed. And that is where I would draw the line. For example, I can speculate on what happened in history 2 million years ago but that is much different from theorizing what happened in the lab. The theories, if split apart, would carry totally different weight with me.

prothero;86759 wrote:
Evolutionary theory properly understood as a scientific theory says nothing about whether the process is "blind and indifferent" or "spirit expressing itself through matter". Assertions such as these are not scientific, they are not part of the theory of evolution, they are metaphysical assumptions or philosophical speculations pure and simple.

This I agree with. Whether or not I agree with all that is included within evolutionary theory is one thing. But I will definitely agree that matters about spirit, emergence of life, etc. are metaphysical in nature.

prothero;86759 wrote:
Materialists, atheists, and mechanistic determinists like to seize upon evolution as confirming their metaphysical worldviews. It does nothing of the kind. Such metaphysical assertions are mislabeled as science in an effort to use the power of the label "science" to confirm materialist and atheistic "metaphysics".

I agree. I also do not attempt to make any assertions about the scientific basis for metaphysical worldviews. Metaphysical worldviews is a discussion outside that of anything to do with science. I am quite comfortable with that.

Thanks for clarifying your position and views.

Rich
0 Replies

Pathfinder

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 08:04 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;86768 wrote:
Life has chemical constituents, just as any other matter in the world does. The major chemical constituents are organic molecules, i.e. carbon/hydrogen - based molecules. The most common atomic elements in living things, by far, are carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen, phosphorus, and sulfur, though many others (iron, magnesium, iodine, zinc, sodium, potassium) are known to participate in biological processes.

In other words, the chemical constituents of life have the same old inorganic building blocks as anything else. The carbon in my body's organic molecules is the same carbon that you'll find in graphite. The iron in my hemoglobin is the same you'll find in iron ore. Etc.

So this leads us to the decision point -- do you think that life suddenly *poofed* into existence by the arbitrary assemblage of all this inorganic stuff? If not, then you don't believe in divine creation.

Alternatively, one can surmise that this process happened slowly, over eons, in an environment rife with chemical substrate and full of energy (which is necessary to catalyze reactions) -- and this process took place on a massive scale, i.e. the entire surface of the earth.

The latter explanation sure makes a lot more sense, even if we don't know exactly how it transpired or what the earliest "proto"-life forms looked like.

What we know from experimental evidence is that if you take the inorganic chemical constituents, put them in water, and bombard them with energy, organic molecules are spontaneously generated, even amino acids. For technical reasons (i.e. the microscopic scale and time course of such an experiment), I doubt "life" will ever arise from it. But I think we have a compelling idea of how life came into being.

so then are you admitting to not knowing where life originates and how it actually enters into a life form? Bceause these other characters are not saying that. they are saying that they know where life comes from and they have us their ansers as ,

1. earth matter
2. potassium
3. life processes.
4. THAT
and you do not want to go to number 4 with us.
Aedes

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 08:10 pm
@Pathfinder,
Pathfinder;86772 wrote:
so then are you admitting to not knowing where life originates and how it actually enters into a life form?
I cannot respond to a question that regards life as "entering" a "life form". It's not a biological notion of life, it's a metaphysical one, and I don't mix metaphysics with biology.

But suffice it to say that we have very compelling evidence as to the environment that life evolved in; we have very compelling evidence as to the nature of early life; and we do NOT know exactly what the earliest life forms looked like or the nature of related chemical assemblages at the time.

Based on this evidence, you can't regard all propositions about the origin of life to be equally persuasive. That is, if you are willing to consider evidence when you make intellectual judgements.

Pathfinder;86772 wrote:
Bceause these other characters are not saying that. they are saying that they know where life comes from and they have us their ansers as ,

1. earth matter
2. potassium
3. life processes.
4. THAT
and you do not want to go to number 4 with us.
I don't know what all this is you're saying here. Go back to my explanation -- it's a lot more reflective of the mainstream scientific position than any of your 1 through 4 here.
0 Replies

richrf

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 08:13 pm
@Berner,
Berner;86756 wrote:
They aren't really my field of study so no help there.

Thanks.

Berner;86756 wrote:
Truth isn't affected by what the majority thinks. 1000 years ago all of Europe thought the Sun revolved around the Earth. That didn't make it so.

I realize that Truth and how we arrive at Truth is an epistemological issue. So no reason to pursue this. I just want to point out, that there may be a very large segment of the world that does not consider your view of plausibility or truth, Truth.

Berner;86756 wrote:
Genetics and Paleontology. Go to:

www.talkorigins.com

They have a lot of the documented, sourced evidence about this stuff which is too much to be posted here.

I understand. My basic point here is that inference, deduction, speculations, etc. about what happened in the past are different for me than what can be observed in the lab and repeatable. So, for me, evolutionary theory is mixing lots of assumptions about the past and blending it in what is observable and repeatable (predictive) and creating a mushy kind of theory that is not nearly on the same level as Relativity and Quantum Theories.

Berner;86756 wrote:
Evolution does make predictions though.

There is a difference for me, in predicting what will occur from what happened. If evolutionary theory made predictions of what will happened and stayed within those boundaries, I would be comfortable. However, that is not what it is doing. It is suggesting what happened. As, I suggested in my example, I consider this on a totally different plane than predictive sciences such as Relativity and Quantum Theories, which make no claim of what had happened. In fact, Quantum pretty much embraces the concept that there is no determinism (except super-determinism), and therefore there is no way of knowing what did happen in the past.

Berner;86756 wrote:
Again that's not evolution like I said earlier. Also I won't comment on it since it's not in my field of discipline, and not something I've studied in depth.

Fair enough.

Berner;86756 wrote:
[Thank you for at least entertaining the possibility.

And thank you for taking the time to clarifying your position and listening to mine.

Rich
0 Replies

Pathfinder

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 08:17 pm
@odenskrigare,
Aedes, you do not mix metaphysics with biology because that is the only way you can avoid the dilemma it creates for you.

What you are saying is that you cannot answer the question of how life is spawned into a form. How a form can one minute be nonliving and the next be a life form.

Whether you attribute that to metaphysical thinking or not you cannot answer the question.

And the 1-4 thing is what the others came up with , not me. I can't help that you have not kept up with the thread.
Aedes

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 08:21 pm
@Pathfinder,
Pathfinder;86778 wrote:
Aedes, you do not mix metaphysics with biology because that is the only way you can avoid the dilemma it creates for you.
No, I do not mix metaphysics with biology because biology generates ideas through systematic observation, while metaphysics generates ideas through mental masturbation.

Pathfinder;86778 wrote:
What you are saying is that you cannot answer the question of how life is spawned into a form.
What I'm saying is that your way of phrasing the question is biologically incomprehensible. Your terminology is imprecise, indistinct, and makes metaphysical assumptions that are irrelevant to biology.

Pathfinder;86778 wrote:
Whether you attribute that to metaphysical thinking or not you cannot answer the question.
It makes as much sense as a forensic pathologist trying to figure out why Jesus was missing from the cave.
0 Replies

Pathfinder

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 08:27 pm
@odenskrigare,
my metaphysical assumptions are irrelevant to biology because they create a dilemma for biology that they cannot get around.

Life remains a mystery and so does the origin of our existence. In my mind that is true biology.
richrf

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 08:28 pm
@Pathfinder,
Pathfinder;86778 wrote:

My own feeling that this is not necessarily so. Einstein was able to develop what he felt were scientific theories independently from is own spiritual views. I think this is perfectly acceptable. Other people don't even want to develop spiritual views. This is also I think quite reasonable. Not everyone has to think about everything.

The issue I have is when someone uses scientific views, which are completely independent of metaphysical views, in order to ridicule metaphysical views.

David Bohm, developed a very plausible alternative interpretation to Quantum Physics which competed against the Copenhagen view. It provided exactly the same predictive capability of the Copenhagen view, but it was a realism interpretation that combined the notion of the a pilot wave and a particle (as a footnote, for twenty years, the physics world thought that such a model was impossible based upon the Von Neumann's postulates.). So far so good.

On top of this, he developed a metaphysical view of the Universe which he called the Implicate Order. This was separate and distinct from his deBroglie-Bohm pilot wave/particle interpretation.

So, it is possible to have:

1) A theory (Quantum Theory)

2) Interpretations of that theory (deBroglie-Bohm, Copenhagen, Multi-universe, etc.)

and

3) a Metaphysical model on top of this that attempts to explain life, consciousness, etc.

I think this is very reasonable. Would you agree?

Rich
0 Replies

odenskrigare

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 08:34 pm
@Pathfinder,
Pathfinder;86785 wrote:
my metaphysical assumptions are irrelevant to biology because they create a dilemma for biology that they cannot get around

the majority of biologists get around your "dilemma" by ignoring it, or being entirely unaware of it

I'm not sure whether that's going between the horns of the dilemma or what
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 08:35 pm
@Pathfinder,
Pathfinder;86785 wrote:
my metaphysical assumptions are irrelevant to biology because they create a dilemma for biology that they cannot get around.
Biology doesn't bother with them, so why should that be a dilemma?

Pathfinder;86785 wrote:
Life remains a mystery and so does the origin of our existence. In my mind that is true biology.
Your "true biology" has nothing to do with the actual scientific discipline and practice of biology, so you'd save some confusion by picking a differnet word for it.

---------- Post added 08-29-2009 at 10:40 PM ----------

richrf;86788 wrote:
So, it is possible to have:

3) a Metaphysical model on top of this that attempts to explain life, consciousness, etc.

I think this is very reasonable. Would you agree?
Just as long as it's recognized that 3) falls outside the scope of physical science and verifiability of any sort. So if the question is about observable nature, then 3) is not applicable. If the question is about the meaning of observable nature, then perhaps it is.

Honestly I think that much skepticism about biological explanation comes from the fact that humans want to be more than mere things. To explain ourselves in rote physical terms seems to some at a metaphysical level to diminish us.

But I feel that it's a perfectly healthy view to think of ourselves as unique, wondrous, and special, irrespective of how we came into being. There are many incongruities in life. It's the price of not being omniscient.
richrf

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 09:49 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;86795 wrote:
Honestly I think that much skepticism about biological explanation comes from the fact that humans want to be more than mere things. To explain ourselves in rote physical terms seems to some at a metaphysical level to diminish us.

But I feel that it's a perfectly healthy view to think of ourselves as unique, wondrous, and special, irrespective of how we came into being. There are many incongruities in life. It's the price of not being omniscient.

Yes, I completely agree.

Rich
Kielicious

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 12:15 am
@richrf,
I really think some people should override their ego for one second and realize the implications of what they are asserting. To think that a half intelligent Joe Schmo on a random philosophy site with no knowledge whatsoever about the field they are criticizing can some how pose questions that are supposed to crumble the foundations of a theory that has stood the test of time in high glory for more than 150 years -over scientists that actually work in the field- is laughable. Way to downplay all biologists and the history within it as well. Do you really think these 'question crumblers' have only been bestowed by your innovative intellect? Please. I understand the ol' saying of "Aim High" but that line of thinking is clearly wishful.