The Ship Theseus

Zetherin

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 02:13 am
@ACB,
ACB wrote:
Ultimately, all that can be said is the following:

In one (objective) sense, the old ship is the Theseus.
In another (objective) sense, the new ship is the Theseus.
In a third (objective) sense, neither ship is the Theseus.

Any of these senses can be justified, by thinking of 'identity' in different ways. There is no unique answer to be discovered.

Yeah, you're right, it really depends on what "Identity" we're referring, as noted earlier. That has actually become the crux of this problem!
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 02:38 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
Mr. Fight the Power wrote:
It is useful that it forces us to think, but it is meaningless in that it doesn't refer to anything.

The question is posed as if there is something intrinsic to the vessels that would cause one or the other to be identifiable, but identity is generated on the observers end.

I don't think it is that simple. The ship is built of entirely new materials. However, it is spatially and temporally continuous with the ship which consisted of the old materials. It is that spatio-temporal continuity that justifies saying of it that it is still the Theseus. The issue is an old philosophical issue; that of persistence through change.
Zetherin

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 02:46 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
I don't think it is that simple. The ship is built of entirely new materials. However, it is spatially and temporally continuous with the ship which consisted of the old materials. It is that spatio-temporal continuity that justifies saying of it that it is still the Theseus. The issue is an old philosophical issue; that of persistence through change.

I'm not quite following. What gives the ship with new parts this spatio-temporal continuity with the ship consisting of old parts?
Bones-O

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 08:23 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:
I'm not quite following. What gives the ship with new parts this spatio-temporal continuity with the ship consisting of old parts?

Consisted, past tense. The ship built of new parts has spatio-temporal (and other) continuity with the original ship brought in for repair. Not the ship rebuilt from old parts, which has physical continuity with the original ship brought in for repair.
0 Replies

Bones-O

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 08:31 am
@ACB,
ACB wrote:

Any of these senses can be justified, by thinking of 'identity' in different ways. There is no unique answer to be discovered.

But can we choose one definition of identity which: a) is generally useful and reasonable, and b) gives an answer to the question? Any definition I've thought up so far that does give a single definite answer to the problem comes into conflict with other understandings of identity that are more generally useful.
ACB

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 12:34 pm
@Bones-O,
Bones-O! wrote:
But can we choose one definition of identity which: a) is generally useful and reasonable, and b) gives an answer to the question? Any definition I've thought up so far that does give a single definite answer to the problem comes into conflict with other understandings of identity that are more generally useful.

The problem is that, in language, usage precedes definition. It may sometimes be useful to regard one ship as the Theseus, sometimes the other, and sometimes neither. The word 'identity' therefore has to do at least three conflicting jobs, so it is logically impossible for it to have a single definition. The only solution I can think of is to specify the kind of identity meant, e.g. spatio-temporal, physical, continuous physical, absolute, or any other. 'Identity' on its own would be a generic term.

Personally, I think spatio-temporal is a rather weak kind of identity. Consider:

1. What is the maximum percentage of parts that can be replaced simultaneously without destroying the necessary continuity?

2. If, in addition to having its parts replaced one by one, the original ship is at some point temporarily dismantled, perhaps having its parts dispersed, does it still have spatio-temporal continuity after it is reassembled?

Nevertheless, I agree that spatio-temporal identity may be a useful concept in straightforward cases.
Bones-O

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 02:28 pm
@ACB,
ACB wrote:
The problem is that, in language, usage precedes definition. It may sometimes be useful to regard one ship as the Theseus, sometimes the other, and sometimes neither. The word 'identity' therefore has to do at least three conflicting jobs, so it is logically impossible for it to have a single definition. The only solution I can think of is to specify the kind of identity meant, e.g. spatio-temporal, physical, continuous physical, absolute, or any other. 'Identity' on its own would be a generic term.

I'm happy to assume that the other two of the conflicting jobs may be given different words to identify them. But when you say 'spatio-temportal identity', 'physical identity', etc, are you not simply talking about properties of entities rather than the entities being discussed? I'm fine with the the sub-classes of identity discussed but then cannot a property of an identity be another identity?

ACB wrote:

2. If, in addition to having its parts replaced one by one, the original ship is at some point temporarily dismantled, perhaps having its parts dispersed, does it still have spatio-temporal continuity after it is reassembled?

Actually, spatio-temporal identity might better be thought of in terms of spacetime worldlines. If such worldlines diverge then converge with passing time... well why not keep them unified under one identity however disparate they become? It makes a lot less sense to keep the identity beyond separation of worldlines if they do not later converge again.
ACB

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 07:36 pm
@Bones-O,
Bones-O! wrote:
I'm happy to assume that the other two of the conflicting jobs may be given different words to identify them. But when you say 'spatio-temportal identity', 'physical identity', etc, are you not simply talking about properties of entities rather than the entities being discussed? I'm fine with the the sub-classes of identity discussed but then cannot a property of an identity be another identity?

I think you are on an impossible quest here. 'Identity' is the property of being the same; but there is more than one way of being the same. (We are obviously not talking here about absolute identity, i.e. 'Theseus is identical to itself'.) Each of these ways of being the same is justifiable; there is no one 'real' way. If 'identity' is to have sub-classes, the word on its own must range over all the sub-classes; it cannot refer to a sub-class on its own, since it denotes the entire class. Therefore it must be generic. To give an analogy, there are male persons and female persons; there is not a third group simply called 'persons' (= 'real' persons).

Quote:
Actually, spatio-temporal identity might better be thought of in terms of spacetime worldlines. If such worldlines diverge then converge with passing time... well why not keep them unified under one identity however disparate they become? It makes a lot less sense to keep the identity beyond separation of worldlines if they do not later converge again.

But what if we do not know whether they will converge again? What if all the Theseus's parts are lying in a scrapyard awaiting disposal, but then some naval history enthusiast suddenly suggests reassembling it? Does the Theseus currently exist in that case?
Bones-O

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 03:37 pm
@ACB,
ACB wrote:
I think you are on an impossible quest here. 'Identity' is the property of being the same; but there is more than one way of being the same. (We are obviously not talking here about absolute identity, i.e. 'Theseus is identical to itself'.) Each of these ways of being the same is justifiable; there is no one 'real' way. If 'identity' is to have sub-classes, the word on its own must range over all the sub-classes; it cannot refer to a sub-class on its own, since it denotes the entire class. Therefore it must be generic. To give an analogy, there are male persons and female persons; there is not a third group simply called 'persons' (= 'real' persons).

In the case of the Theseus, we (perhaps) have an identity of the Theseus. Say the Theseus has its own special flag. That flag is unique, therefore has an identity. The flag is also a property of the Theseus.

What we're talking of here is different identities, or to put it another way identities of different entities. My point being that, yes, while there may be a spatio-temporal identity corresponding to the Theseus, spatio-temporal location/extension is also a property of the Theseus and thus constitutes the Theseus identity. I don't see any difficulty in this, and am not convinced this is an obstacle to defining a complete and unconditional Theseus identity. I think we simply have degrees of freedom in which to do the defining, namely in its continuity.

ACB wrote:

But what if we do not know whether they will converge again? What if all the Theseus's parts are lying in a scrapyard awaiting disposal, but then some naval history enthusiast suddenly suggests reassembling it? Does the Theseus currently exist in that case?

Well, in this case we do know. In cases where we don't, objectively (in a 4D view) our lack of knowledge does not effect the identity - it only creates shortcomings in the subjective identity.

We can consider this in 3D. A group of islands, say the Farne islands, are spatially discontinuous. The water between the islands is not the islands. Yet we have no problem identitfying the group of islands as one single identity. If we have always lived on one island and no nothing of the existence of others, again this does not effect the objective identity 'the Farne islands'. This is merely an absence of knowledge of that identity.

Same goes for temporal discontinuity.
ACB

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 07:50 am
@Bones-O,
Bones-O! wrote:
In the case of the Theseus, we (perhaps) have an identity of the Theseus. Say the Theseus has its own special flag. That flag is unique, therefore has an identity. The flag is also a property of the Theseus.

In that case we would be defining the Theseus as the ship (if any) that flies (or usually flies) that special flag. No problem there. But other people may wish to define it differently. There is no objectively 'right' definition.

Quote:
What we're talking of here is different identities, or to put it another way identities of different entities.

I don't follow. What different entities? If there is to be one entity/identity uniquely called 'the Theseus', what are the other entities to be called?

Quote:
My point being that, yes, while there may be a spatio-temporal identity corresponding to the Theseus, spatio-temporal location/extension is also a property of the Theseus and thus constitutes the Theseus identity.

Sorry, I do not know what you mean here. Can you please clarify. Are you saying that spatio-temporal continuity objectively/logically defines the Theseus identity? If so, I don't understand what you mean by "while there may be a spatio-temporal identity corresponding to the Theseus".

Quote:
I don't see any difficulty in this, and am not convinced this is an obstacle to defining a complete and unconditional Theseus identity. I think we simply have degrees of freedom in which to do the defining, namely in its continuity.

You mean that spatio-temporal continuity is crucial in defining identity, but that the definition of spatio-temporal continuity needs to be made precise? And that this process of achieving precision would itself be subjective?

Quote:
We can consider this in 3D. A group of islands, say the Farne islands, are spatially discontinuous. The water between the islands is not the islands. Yet we have no problem identitfying the group of islands as one single identity. If we have always lived on one island and no nothing of the existence of others, again this does not effect the objective identity 'the Farne islands'. This is merely an absence of knowledge of that identity.

Same goes for temporal discontinuity.

But in some cases it may not be obvious which of two groups a particular island should be assigned to. Geography may suggest one answer, history another. Gibraltar is geographically part of Spain, but historically part of the United Kingdom (it has been a British dependency for nearly 300 years). Which country is it 'really' part of? Wars have been fought over such matters.

Are you saying that, in disputed cases of spatial identity, there is always one objectively true answer, which can be deduced by applying an agreed set of (subjective) rules?
Bones-O

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 07:35 am
@ACB,
ACB wrote:
In that case we would be defining the Theseus as the ship (if any) that flies (or usually flies) that special flag. No problem there. But other people may wish to define it differently. There is no objectively 'right' definition.

Sure. I was continuing with the definition of identity as the totality of the properties that uniquely identify the entity.

ACB wrote:

I don't follow. What different entities? If there is to be one entity/identity uniquely called 'the Theseus', what are the other entities to be called?

I was saying that spatio-temporal identity, i.e. the identity 'the spatio-temporal extension of the Theseus', is not the identity 'the Theseus'.

ACB wrote:

Sorry, I do not know what you mean here. Can you please clarify. Are you saying that spatio-temporal continuity objectively/logically defines the Theseus identity? If so, I don't understand what you mean by "while there may be a spatio-temporal identity corresponding to the Theseus".

I simply meant that extension is a necessary property of the identity of the Theseus. Whether you wish to consider the identity of the extension of the Theseus... well that's reasonable. But, as above, the identity 'Theseus' and the identity 'the spatio-temporal contunuity of the Theseus' are not the same.

ACB wrote:

You mean that spatio-temporal continuity is crucial in defining identity, but that the definition of spatio-temporal continuity needs to be made precise? And that this process of achieving precision would itself be subjective?

I meant that any continuity (formal, physical, semantic, purpose, ownership, etc, etc) could (and I think should) be part of the identity of any entity. However, in dealing with the continuity of the identity itself (e.g. whether the identity of the Theseus survives the repair and, if so, how so) seems to be open to suggestion.

ACB wrote:

But in some cases it may not be obvious which of two groups a particular island should be assigned to. Geography may suggest one answer, history another. Gibraltar is geographically part of Spain, but historically part of the United Kingdom (it has been a British dependency for nearly 300 years). Which country is it 'really' part of? Wars have been fought over such matters.

Again, though, you speak of the subjective. The physical group of islands exists. In the absence of any subjective the identity would be utterly arbitrary: one might as well throw in the Sahara desert and call it something else. However, the identity of that group of islands, however arbitrary, exists objectively, with or without a name.

But in extending to subjective resolution, I see no problem either. Gibraltar has well-defined geographical (i.e. spatial) properties. It also has well-defined continuity of political properties. If one wishes to include 'which country Gibraltar is part of', these objective properties may be considered in the objective identity.

ACB wrote:

Are you saying that, in disputed cases of spatial identity, there is always one objectively true answer, which can be deduced by applying an agreed set of (subjective) rules?

I can't see why not. Spatial properties are less of an issue imo, since the question in the OP has been phrased such that the factors that most effect the question are:
(i) that there exist two (spatially distinct) ships
(ii) that the ships are formally identical
(iii) that one ship is physically identical to the Theseus but formally discontinuous
(iv) that the other ship is formally continuous from the Theseus but physically differently constituted.

On the subjective front, while the properties that uniquely define an entity may be subjectively chosen, thay may still objectively exist. This is the arbitrary nature of identity. The Universe has an identity and this isn't arbitary, but the universe can be said to consist of systems. Well, which systems (i.e. what are the identities of the systems)? There are infinite ways of subdividing the Universe but the identities of these arbitrary (and subjectively chosen) systems still objectively exist since they are uniquely specified by a complete set of objective properties.
Bones-O

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 07:50 am
@Bones-O,
Bones-O! wrote:
But in extending to subjective resolution, I see no problem either. Gibraltar has well-defined geographical (i.e. spatial) properties. It also has well-defined continuity of political properties. If one wishes to include 'which country Gibraltar is part of', these objective properties may be considered in the objective identity.

I should probably expand upon this. Any objective identity should be specified by only the minimum number of objective properties that uniquely define it. Of course, this has to be the minimum number that always uniquely defines that entity, possibly including in hypothetical situations such as that of the OP.

This causes a huge problem in considering questions such as this. If we do not ever consider a property that was not required to uniquely define the entity at a given time of consideration, we may struggle to identify it at another time when it is required. For instance, there might be a property that we have not considered that specifies exactly which ship is the Theseus.

Conversely, if we consider properties not included in the necessary minimum, we may struggle to identify the entity because we look for continuity in something that should not be considered. For instance, we may consider the physicality of the Theseus when this is in fact irrelevant, and thus be tempted to choose the wrong boat.

And there is no way to know the minimum set of properties required to uniqely identify an entity at all times. We can, however, choose this minimum set. If I neglect physicality and include formal continuity, then the Theseus is uniqely identified after repair (the ship of new parts). If I neglect form and include physicality, the other ship is identified as the Theseus.

So, going back to what Khethil said ages ago, yes this is a semantic problem. We are given only the word 'Theseus', not its minimum set of identifying properties. This is not a paradox; this is more like Einstein's problem.
ACB

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 08:19 pm
@Bones-O,
Thank you for the clarification. I agree with much of what you say, but I have a few comments.

Bones-O! wrote:
Sure. I was continuing with the definition of identity as the totality of the properties that uniquely identify the entity.

OK.

Quote:
I was saying that spatio-temporal identity, i.e. the identity 'the spatio-temporal extension of the Theseus', is not the identity 'the Theseus'.

I agree. (I take it that by 'extension of the Theseus' you mean 'extension of the ship originally called the Theseus'.)

Quote:
I simply meant that extension is a necessary property of the identity of the Theseus. Whether you wish to consider the identity of the extension of the Theseus... well that's reasonable.

I am confused by your terminology here. If identity has the property of extension, how can extension have identity? Can you please clarify.

Quote:
I meant that any continuity (formal, physical, semantic, purpose, ownership, etc, etc) could (and I think should) be part of the identity of any entity. However, in dealing with the continuity of the identity itself (e.g. whether the identity of the Theseus survives the repair and, if so, how so) seems to be open to suggestion.

1. If we decide to make physical continuity the criterion of identity, which ship is the Theseus while the repair process is incomplete?

2. Is any kind of continuity appropriate? If the 'King of England' dies and his son immediately becomes 'King of England', we have continuity of title and role, but nobody would say the old king 'is' the new king.

Quote:
However, the identity of that group of islands, however arbitrary, exists objectively, with or without a name.

Isn't that just a tautology? (If the group of islands is there, then it exists.)

Quote:

Agreed.

Quote:
On the subjective front, while the properties that uniquely define an entity may be subjectively chosen, thay may still objectively exist. This is the arbitrary nature of identity. The Universe has an identity and this isn't arbitary, but the universe can be said to consist of systems. Well, which systems (i.e. what are the identities of the systems)? There are infinite ways of subdividing the Universe but the identities of these arbitrary (and subjectively chosen) systems still objectively exist since they are uniquely specified by a complete set of objective properties.

Agreed.

I will reply to your most recent post when I have considered it further.
Bones-O

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2009 01:16 pm
@ACB,
ACB wrote:

I agree. (I take it that by 'extension of the Theseus' you mean 'extension of the ship originally called the Theseus'.)

Sure, or in a time-dependent view, the instantaneous extension of the Theseus (which might not be a ship... it might sometimes by a pile of bits of a ship).

ACB wrote:

I am confused by your terminology here. If identity has the property of extension, how can extension have identity? Can you please clarify.

The extension of an entity is a property of an entity. The set of total properties of an entity define it uniquely (and maybe over-define it). Thus any property is part of the identity of an entity, including the property of extension.

Going back to the flag, this flag too is a property of an entity, and thus is part of the identity of that entity. But the flag is also an entity, and so has an identity. Switching 'flag of the Theseus' for 'extension of the Theseus', one could extend identities to non-entities, such as forms. Thus 'the extension of the Theseus' is a form that both ships after repair take. This form is identified by its complete set of properties, thus has an identity even though it is not an entity.

Hence: extension as a property is part of the identity of an entity, and the extension of an entity (or class of entities) may have an identity.

ACB wrote:

1. If we decide to make physical continuity the criterion of identity, which ship is the Theseus while the repair process is incomplete?

The Theseus is then the sum of the parts both left in the ship and lying around wherever waiting to be reconstituted.

ACB wrote:

2. Is any kind of continuity appropriate? If the 'King of England' dies and his son immediately becomes 'King of England', we have continuity of title and role, but nobody would say the old king 'is' the new king.

But we do have the identity 'the King of England' that persists precisely because of this continuity. Edward ceased to be King when he abdicated - 'King' is not a person but an occupation.

ACB wrote:

Isn't that just a tautology? (If the group of islands is there, then it exists.)

Yes, which highlights how arbitrary the idea of identities of sub-systems is in the absence of subjective consciousnesses to utilise them.
0 Replies

ACB

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2009 01:19 pm
@Bones-O,
Bones-O! wrote:
I should probably expand upon this. Any objective identity should be specified by only the minimum number of objective properties that uniquely define it. Of course, this has to be the minimum number that always uniquely defines that entity, possibly including in hypothetical situations such as that of the OP.

This causes a huge problem in considering questions such as this. If we do not ever consider a property that was not required to uniquely define the entity at a given time of consideration, we may struggle to identify it at another time when it is required. For instance, there might be a property that we have not considered that specifies exactly which ship is the Theseus.

Conversely, if we consider properties not included in the necessary minimum, we may struggle to identify the entity because we look for continuity in something that should not be considered. For instance, we may consider the physicality of the Theseus when this is in fact irrelevant, and thus be tempted to choose the wrong boat.

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that we should aim to specify the objective identity of the Theseus in such a way that there is always one and only one Theseus. But why must we do this? Why can we not decide in advance which properties we consider relevant, and, if on analysis it turns out that at a certain time no ship possesses all those properties, conclude that there is no Theseus at that time? And if it turns out that more than one ship possesses all those properties, why can we not then pragmatically add further properties on an ad hoc basis until only one ship has them all?

I am not sure how the physicality could be 'irrelevant'. If we decide at the outset that physicality is relevant to our needs, i.e. that it is useful, then it is relevant. The choice is a subjective one. Likewise, I don't see how the ship we choose could be the 'wrong' one, if our analysis leads us to it.
ACB

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2009 09:23 pm
@ACB,
I wrote my post #75 before I had read your post #74. I will reply to your post more fully later, but in the meantime I have the following further questions:

1. According to your argument, we have one entity called 'the Theseus' and another entity called 'the extension of the Theseus'. The latter (like the former) has properties, which are also entities in themselves, and so on. Should we invoke Occam's Razor to get rid of this infinite regress? For the purposes of this thread at least, why do we need to consider extension as an entity? Can't we just consider it as a property?

2. Suppose that, after the total repair of the original Theseus and the reassembly of its old parts, the ship made from the old parts is then irrevocably destroyed. Later, the ship with the new parts is completely repaired a second time, and the parts from the first repair are reassembled as a third ship. Can we now call the third ship the Theseus on the grounds of physical identity? Or would this be inconsistent, as we relied on spatio-temporal identity at the first stage?
0 Replies

Bones-O

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 02:56 pm
@ACB,
ACB wrote:
If I understand you correctly, you are saying that we should aim to specify the objective identity of the Theseus in such a way that there is always one and only one Theseus. But why must we do this?

I don't mean, in this case, that there is one ship and that ship is the Theseus necessarily. By definition an identity must be of only one thing. This could describe many sub-entities, such as the Farne Islands.

ACB wrote:

Why can we not decide in advance which properties we consider relevant, and, if on analysis it turns out that at a certain time no ship possesses all those properties, conclude that there is no Theseus at that time? And if it turns out that more than one ship possesses all those properties, why can we not then pragmatically add further properties on an ad hoc basis until only one ship has them all?

You can choose which are relevant. You will get an answer with respect to the identity you yourself defined. I can choose a different identity, get a different answer and neither of us have any claim to be correct at the expense of the other. All an identity requires is that the entity it describes is unique and the identity describing it is unique: i.e. there is an exact one-to-one relationship. As long as these are fulfilled, we have an identity, so yes it's very ad hoc.

ACB wrote:

I am not sure how the physicality could be 'irrelevant'. If we decide at the outset that physicality is relevant to our needs, i.e. that it is useful, then it is relevant. The choice is a subjective one. Likewise, I don't see how the ship we choose could be the 'wrong' one, if our analysis leads us to it.
For instance, if there is only one ship in the world and it is called the Theseus, what it is made of doesn't jump out at you as being a defining characteristic. If it is made of soap, so be it. If another ship is built, let's say it is identical but made of straw, then physicality becomes relevant.

ACB wrote:

1. According to your argument, we have one entity called 'the Theseus' and another entity called 'the extension of the Theseus'. The latter (like the former) has properties, which are also entities in themselves, and so on. Should we invoke Occam's Razor to get rid of this infinite regress? For the purposes of this thread at least, why do we need to consider extension as an entity? Can't we just consider it as a property?

Anything that has a complete set of properties that defines it uniquely has an identity. The fact that there is an infinite number of possible systems to be described thus doesn't mean you have to consider an infinite number of identities. Also, Occam's razor demands the simplest model: introducing a vetting process for what constitutes an identity above and beyond a unique and complete set of properties would be that due for a shave.

ACB wrote:

2. Suppose that, after the total repair of the original Theseus and the reassembly of its old parts, the ship made from the old parts is then irrevocably destroyed. Later, the ship with the new parts is completely repaired a second time, and the parts from the first repair are reassembled as a third ship. Can we now call the third ship the Theseus on the grounds of physical identity? Or would this be inconsistent, as we relied on spatio-temporal identity at the first stage?

I'd say you can do it as you please, so long as you're consistent. Take these examples:

Identity 1: Physicality of (original) Theseus -> Ship of old parts is Theseus.
Identity 2: Form (inc. extension, exc. temporal) of (original) Theseus -> Both ships are the Theseus.
Identity 3: Physicality and form of (original) Theseus -> Ship of old parts is Theseus.
Identity 4: Physicality and form (inc. temporal) of (original) Theseus -> Part of ship of new parts is part of Theseus, Part of ship of old parts is part of Theseus.
Identity 5: Physicality and form (inc. temporal) of (original) Theseus and coincidence of physicality and form --> Neither ship is the Theseus... the Theseus has been destroyed.

Whatever you define, you will get a valid answer, but you can't hold you definition to be better than any other.
ACB

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 06:23 am
@Bones-O,
Bones-O! wrote:
For instance, if there is only one ship in the world and it is called the Theseus, what it is made of doesn't jump out at you as being a defining characteristic. If it is made of soap, so be it. If another ship is built, let's say it is identical but made of straw, then physicality becomes relevant.

If there is only one ship, then yes, physicality is irrelevant. But you stated earlier: '....we may consider the physicality of the Theseus when this is in fact irrelevant, and thus be tempted to choose the wrong boat'. This implies the existence of more than one, in which case it is always open to us to deem physicality relevant.

Quote:
Identity 2: Form (inc. extension, exc. temporal) of (original) Theseus -> Both ships are the Theseus.

How can this be so? How can both ships be 'the' Theseus? Isn't it necessarily unique? I can understand how part of each ship can be part of the Theseus according to Identity 4, but not how both ships can ever be the whole Theseus.

Quote:
Whatever you define, you will get a valid answer, but you can't hold you definition to be better than any other.

I agree entirely. This has been my view right from the beginning of this thread. Objectively there exists a complex set of entities; it is up to us (individually or collectively) to decide subjectively how to group, categorise and name them.
Joe

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 10:56 am
@ACB,
i didnt read the bulk of responses so Im not sure if this was brought up. I believe the reason i would label the ship built from older parts the original, because of the idea of Time. I have the idea that there is a past of some sort that doesnt exist within the present made so by the fact everyone bases time on Chronology. Thats what makes it supposedly original.
Bones-O

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 11:26 am
@ACB,
ACB wrote:
If there is only one ship, then yes, physicality is irrelevant. But you stated earlier: '....we may consider the physicality of the Theseus when this is in fact irrelevant, and thus be tempted to choose the wrong boat'. This implies the existence of more than one, in which case it is always open to us to deem physicality relevant.

Ah, here I just meant that, for instance, the 'spirit' of the Theseus (I don't use this kind of terminology usually, but I know how ship owners personify their vessels) is important, but not the material. Like the Enterprise in the Star Trek films: the shape, the name, the idea it represents or its connotations and amalgamated history... these might be the defining (i.e. identifying) characteristics of a ship. But up until repair, there's only one Theseus and it has had only one physicality (lets say), so we may deduce from physical continuity that physicality is part of the identity of the Theseus when in fact it is more an idea, or a tradition. So we look to the most physically identical ship when in fact the other may truly carry the identity.

ACB wrote:

How can this be so? How can both ships be 'the' Theseus? Isn't it necessarily unique? I can understand how part of each ship can be part of the Theseus according to Identity 4, but not how both ships can ever be the whole Theseus.

I should have been clearer: each ship is more than a part of the Theseus and the Theseus is more than one ship. The (continuous) form of the Theseus is now carried by the ship made from new parts; the physicality of the Theseus is now carried by the ship built from old parts. Since physical and spatial unity is not a property that identifies the Theseus in this identity, the Theseus is in both ships. This was an example of how the specification of identifying properties effects the answer to the question: here the identity is under-defined, insofar as it neglects to include physical and spatial unity in the set of identifying properties, thus allowing two ships to be, in part, the Theseus.

ACB wrote:

I agree entirely. This has been my view right from the beginning of this thread. Objectively there exists a complex set of entities; it is up to us (individually or collectively) to decide subjectively how to group, categorise and name them.

Sure. Your original point read like it depended on how we think of identity in general, rather than how we define individual identities, which is where I've ended up. Also, I still hold onto the notion of objective identities, but these cannot be subjectively known, only objectively defined. This is ontological (hence my electromagnetic image analogy). We observe entities and attempt to construct their identities from their observable properties. These are the subjective identities Zetherin spoke of. We can deduce objective properties from these observables, but not likely the complete set unless we define them ourselves. That's the trick: to define an objective identity, rather than deduce it subjectively. (Or, in other words, begin with the identity rather than the entity.)