The Ship Theseus

Theaetetus

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 12:26 am
@sthack99,
sthack99 wrote:
Wow.... That must be a terrible feeling. I'm sorry.... Sad

I kinda "lost" my step sister in the same fashion. She was in a car accident many years ago and afterwards developed severe bipolar schizophrenia (it was probably always there lying dormant, but no one knew). She's still alive, but everything about her personality has completely changed, so I can't help but feel like the person I knew and loved is gone.

Please do not feel sorry for me because there is no reason. I am who I am and there is nothing that can be done about that. I am a product of my life, and I am forced to adapt to my world experience. I did not change personality wise (other than I did become a little more introverted and I think more abstractly), but I struggle with many things that I used to do very well instantaneously. Talking at times becomes difficult because my symbol association has went kind of haywire and unpredictable. But I have become more forgiving and acceptable to different viewpoints. No one I know very well would think that I am that much different, but I notice how my thought patterns have changed. I am just thankful that my mental capacities have not changed that much. Thinking differently may have changed my life for the better as far as I know right now.
0 Replies

Bones-O

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2009 12:31 pm
@sthack99,
When we say, the 'real' Theseus, do we mean the one originally built, the one originally purchased by the owner, or the one taken for repair, since physically all three might be noticeably different?
sthack99

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 07:57 pm
@Bones-O,
Bones-O! wrote:
When we say, the 'real' Theseus, do we mean the one originally built, the one originally purchased by the owner, or the one taken for repair, since physically all three might be noticeably different?

I would say the one that was originally labeled "Theseus". So are you saying the real Theseus wasn't in existance when it was taken to be repaired?
Zetherin

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 08:02 pm
@sthack99,
sthack99 wrote:
I would say the one that was originally labeled "Theseus". So are you saying the real Theseus wasn't in existance when it was taken to be repaired?

The point is: it's all perspective. We are the one's applying identity. If one didn't consider the Theseus 'real' after repair, it wouldn't be 'real' for them; the identity, perceptually, has changed. There's no definite "right" or "wrong" answer here since it wholly depends on the consciousness rationalizing.
Bones-O

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2009 11:47 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:
The point is: it's all perspective. We are the one's applying identity. If one didn't consider the Theseus 'real' after repair, it wouldn't be 'real' for them; the identity, perceptually, has changed. There's no definite "right" or "wrong" answer here since it wholly depends on the consciousness rationalizing.

My issue with 'identity is in the eye of the beholder' is this: If you have identical twins named Suzy and Lucy, and both tell you they are Lucy, which is the real Lucy? There is a definitive right and wrong answer, at least in any pragmatic viewpoint.

Further, if the identity of the ship is bestowed by the owner, he will naturally identify the ship rebuilt from old parts as Theseus since it most resembles Theseus (the other ship is shiny new). Thus again the old-parts ship is the real Theseus, in the only consciousness that matters to the question. The owner may well prefer a new Theseus though.
Zetherin

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2009 02:29 pm
@Bones-O,
Bones-O! wrote:
My issue with 'identity is in the eye of the beholder' is this: If you have identical twins named Suzy and Lucy, and both tell you they are Lucy, which is the real Lucy? There is a definitive right and wrong answer, at least in any pragmatic viewpoint.

Pragmatically we can differentiate the two humans as just that -- two humans, two different lifeforms. But once we assign a social identity, we go outside the realm of the definitive and into the realm of the subjective. There's no way to objectively measure which is "Lucy" or "Suzy", we can only assign a subjective identity to each human (through different physicalities, personality traits, etc.). We know they're different, but ultimately social identity really is in the eye of the beholder.

Take this for example:
Woman marries husband to which she identifies herself as "Lucy" to. Meanwhile, Woman initially introduced herself to a close friend of hers as "Suzy". Woman's husband and close friend have different social identities for Woman, and yet both *know*, relate, to the same human. There is no definitive right or wrong answer here; both parties could be correct.

I'd like to address this again:
Quote:
Who are we really? Are we our bodies? If we're not our bodies, are we our consciousness? Have you lost parts of yourself you have forgotten? Would amnesia erase your identity?
What really makes the Woman "Suzy" or "Lucy" and why?

Bones-O! wrote:
Further, if the identity of the ship is bestowed by the owner, he will naturally identify the ship rebuilt from old parts as Theseus since it most resembles Theseus (the other ship is shiny new). Thus again the old-parts ship is the real Theseus, in the only consciousness that matters to the question. The owner may well prefer a new Theseus though.

Why is it the only consciousness that matters in question? What if both of the ships had the same amount of old parts, and both the owner and the ship-builder spent the same amount of time with each ship: Who would be correct?

It's not all about physicality, my friend. "Real", in the context we're using, is completely relative to the consciousness rationalizing. What makes a "Real" identity? A consensus or sentimental attachment, usually -- neither of which are 'definitive'.
0 Replies

Bones-O

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 10:25 am
@sthack99,
Zetherin wrote:
Pragmatically we can differentiate the two humans as just that -- two humans, two different lifeforms. But once we assign a social identity, we go outside the realm of the definitive and into the realm of the subjective. There's no way to objectively measure which is "Lucy" or "Suzy", we can only assign a subjective identity to each human (through different physicalities, personality traits, etc.). We know they're different, but ultimately social identity really is in the eye of the beholder.

Take this for example:
Woman marries husband to which she identifies herself as "Lucy" to. Meanwhile, Woman initially introduced herself to a close friend of hers as "Suzy". Woman's husband and close friend have different social identities for Woman, and yet both *know*, relate, to the same human. There is no definitive right or wrong answer here; both parties could be correct.

Why is it the only consciousness that matters in question? What if both of the ships had the same amount of old parts, and both the owner and the ship-builder spent the same amount of time with each ship: Who would be correct?

It's not all about physicality, my friend. "Real", in the context we're using, is completely relative to the consciousness rationalizing. What makes a "Real" identity? A consensus or sentimental attachment, usually -- neither of which are 'definitive'.

Sure, I get your answer to the problem: identity is entirely subjective, thus if in two different subjective consciousnesses the two ships are each deemed the 'real' Theseus, then both are correct, subjectively.

My first point is highlighted by the Lucy/Suzy problem. These two identities are pre-existing (e.g. have been established separately at some earlier time). Assuming no distinguishing characteristics or behaviours at a given 'measurement', which is Lucy, which is Suzy? This, in your solution, seems to allow that a person previously established as Lucy is now identified to be Suzy, and that this is perfectly correct on grounds of subjectivity. Here I disagree. This is not a problem of assigning identity but of correctly re-establishing it. There are the objects, pre-existing. There are the identities, previously established. Since the necessity of identity is that of distinguishing between unique objects, any theory of identity that allows identities and objects to be juggled around is useless, impractical. The real problem is in the linking.

As an aside, the question of the 'real' Theseus is a realist question, so the answer 'it is subjective' negates rather than answers the question, and the answer 'the question can't be answered because identity is subjective' assumes non-realism, an assumption that can't be justified given the question. I'm not saying it's not an answer to be discussed, but it doesn't appear to me as final as it does to you.

Identity is bestowed by subjective consciousness, yes. It is appraised by subjective consciousness, yes. But does it only exist in subjective consciousness once established..? I'd argue not. If I identify Suzy as Lucy and Suzy tells me I'm wrong, then I'm wrong. Why doesn't my establishing of Lucy's identity hold as much as hers if it's just a subjective matter? Because Suzy and Lucy are greater authorities on the identity of Lucy (and Suzy) than I am: that is to say that each has a more complete understanding of the properties that constitute the real identity 'Lucy' and more information by which to appraise those identities.

Identity is established on the basis of properties (I won't say physical properties just yet). If an identity of Theseus survives the repair, the same should hold as above. In subjective experience, the only problem then is correctly re-establishing that identity - i.e. the presence of absence of authority. There are two possibilities as to how identity survives: continuity of physicality, and continuity of form. The ship built out of old parts of Theseus is physically identical to the old Theseus, but was not always a ship, let alone the ship Theseus. The ship built from new parts was always a ship, however that ship was once the old Theseus entirely comprised of old parts which are no longer present. As far as I'm concerned, the question starts and ends here.

The problem of re-establishing the identity of Theseus is separate and does not appear to have been asked in the OP unless one already assumes the answer you give to be true (i.e. that there is no 'real' identity, only subjective identity) and the OP doesn't hint at this (in fact, given the word 'real', it hints at the opposite). This is then not a philosophical question so much as a guessing game, a test, a trick question, unless of course you can show completely that individual subjective appraisal is all, that is: that if I identify one twin as Lucy, I am as correct as if I identify the other as Lucy, so that any comlete reasoning of the question must necessarily come to the same conclusion you have come to.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 09:36 pm
@sthack99,
Bones-O! wrote:
The problem of re-establishing the identity of Theseus is separate and does not appear to have been asked in the OP unless one already assumes the answer you give to be true (i.e. that there is no 'real' identity, only subjective identity) and the OP doesn't hint at this (in fact, given the word 'real', it hints at the opposite). This is then not a philosophical question so much as a guessing game, a test, a trick question, unless of course you can show completely that individual subjective appraisal is all, that is: that if I identify one twin as Lucy, I am as correct as if I identify the other as Lucy, so that any comlete reasoning of the question must necessarily come to the same conclusion you have come to.
Well, yes, I don't believe there's "complete reasoning", except insofar as what is agreed upon, or, in the case of humans, what name the person identifies themselves as. It's not always simply individual subjective appraisal, but one usually founded on consensus.

Let's suppose:

Woman A introduces herself as Lucy
Woman B introduced herself as Suzy

If I started calling woman A Suzy, I would be "wrong" in the sense that it was established (by her) that her name, her identity, was instead Lucy. Likewise, if I referred to woman B as Lucy.

But let's suppose woman A introduced herself as Suzy (in other words, speaking against her own appraisal), her identity, as Suzy, would be just as "real" to me. I could go through my whole life referring to this woman as Suzy, and nothing would really change. Yes, I could differentiate her from women B because of the properties you explain, but in terms of social identity, regardless what name I was presented with, that person would still be that person.

Let's suppose even further woman A actually decides to have her name changed (via city hall, an 'official' social identity change) to Suzy. You're saying I was "wrong" (identity-wise) up until the point she went to city hall, or was I "wrong" up until the point woman A decided to have her name changed? Is social identity completely dependent upon personal appraisal at any given point in time (the latter), or are there other factors (ie. "official" - city hall, former)?

This isn't even taking into account "Self", which would complicate things even further. Because, as I note, what really defines "Self"? But, we will stay at the surface, focusing on: Social Identity (since this is what I think you're more referring to)

Bones-O! wrote:
As an aside, the question of the 'real' Theseus is a realist question, so the answer 'it is subjective' negates rather than answers the question, and the answer 'the question can't be answered because identity is subjective' assumes non-realism, an assumption that can't be justified given the question. I'm not saying it's not an answer to be discussed, but it doesn't appear to me as final as it does to you.
I can't imagine how one would approach the question from a "realist" perspective. If we speak of any substance non-human (ie. a creature/object/etc. that cannot verbalize an identity for themselves) then the burden of proof rests directly on those that are engaging in the identification; the ship doesn't apply meaning: we do. I'm not saying the question cannot be answered, I'm saying the question can be answered in many ways. This could be based upon 1.) Individual appraisal 2.) A consensus appraisal. Consensus appraisal appears to have the final say: So, of course, if I were to say the 'Titanic' was actually called 'Sobertit', I'd be "wrong" insofar as identification of that object was established already.

In this particular scenario, since the physicality of the ship was disturbed (and assuming visualization is a key for identification of inanimate objects), it really is up in arms. I've seen adaquate reasoning from various perspective [and I've even pondered this with another example dealing with a bike], it really does appear to come down to opinion. If you do believe there is a concrete, "complete", undeniable answer to this problem, please do share. As far as I can see, however, it really is this complicated.
ACB

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 08:21 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:
In this particular scenario, since the physicality of the ship was disturbed (and assuming visualization is a key for identification of inanimate objects), it really is up in arms. I've seen adaquate reasoning from various perspective [and I've even pondered this with another example dealing with a bike], it really does appear to come down to opinion. If you do believe there is a concrete, "complete", undeniable answer to this problem, please do share. As far as I can see, however, it really is this complicated.

I agree with this as far as the ship is concerned.

However, I think that in the Lucy/Suzy case the distinction between names and identity has become somewhat blurred. The question is not so much whether Woman A calls herself Lucy or Suzy; it is whether she can be re-identified as the same person (regardless of her name) at a later date. If we have all the relevant knowledge, we clearly can re-identify her, and likewise Woman B, because the two women have a continuous existence as whole persons. (Even if they were identical twins, we could theoretically keep an eye on them all the time to remain aware of who is who.)

The Theseus case is different, because the two ships do not have a continuous whole existence. Here, having all the relevant knowledge will not enable us to decide the issue. Whereas the problem in the Lucy/Suzy case is only semantic (naming) and/or epistemological (recognition), in the Theseus case it is ontological. In the former, there is a clear 'realist' answer, but in the latter there is none. If pressed, I suppose you could say that neither ship is the true Theseus in a realist sense, as neither meets the clear criterion of continuous whole existence. But that does not stop people from reaching a social consensus to call one of them Theseus (or calling them Theseus 1 and Theseus 2).
Bones-O

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 08:38 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:

Let's suppose:

Woman A introduces herself as Lucy
Woman B introduced herself as Suzy

Again, though, you've shifted the issue to the establishing of identities not the re-establishing of previously established identities. The fact that you can't treat the problem I posed suggests you may be well aware of the limitations of your theory of identity.

Zetherin wrote:

This isn't even taking into account "Self", which would complicate things even further. Because, as I note, what really defines "Self"? But, we will stay at the surface, focusing on: Social Identity (since this is what I think you're more referring to)

Not at all: I'm referring to identity as a means of differentiating between unique objects, be they people, boats, whatever. A set of properties that completely and uniquely define such an object. Objective identity, I suppose.

Zetherin wrote:

So, of course, if I were to say the 'Titanic' was actually called 'Sobertit', I'd be "wrong" insofar as identification of that object was established already.

Precisely, and the identity of the Theseus (and Lucy) is similarly previously established. The question then is: if the identity of the Theseus survives (and the question appears to presuppose that it does), how does it do so: by continuity of physicality or continuity of form? This would provide a means of re-establishing subjective identification.

Zetherin wrote:

Well, I gave my answer but I'm not a formalist - that doesn't mean I can deny formalism, alas. I think it's less a matter of opinion and more of definition: one person says the new-parts ship is the Theseus because of continuity of form; another that old-parts ship is Theseus because of continuity of matter; a third that either is fine because identity is subjective. All are really talking about three different types of identity.
Bones-O

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 08:49 am
@ACB,
ACB wrote:

However, I think that in the Lucy/Suzy case the distinction between names and identity has become somewhat blurred. The question is not so much whether Woman A calls herself Lucy or Suzy; it is whether she can be re-identified as the same person (regardless of her name) at a later date. If we have all the relevant knowledge, we clearly can re-identify her, and likewise Woman B, because the two women have a continuous existence as whole persons. (Even if they were identical twins, we could theoretically keep an eye on them all the time to remain aware of who is who.)

As I said earlier, 'Lucy' and 'Suzy' are just labels for the identities. Perhaps I need to go into more detail as people keep adding their own in order to solve the problem. Let's say you meet Lucy on Monday. She's a happy-go-lucky type, quick to laugh, loves dogs, hates cats, and is good with children. You meet Suzy on Tuesday. She's a bit edgier, a bit competitive, like she's got something to prove, loves cats, hates dogs and keeps children at arm's length. You (a man now, irrespective of your actual gender) much prefer Lucy but think you've got a chance with Suzy.

On Wednesday you walk into a room and Lucy and Suzy are there. Which is which? You don't have all the relevant knowledge, but the relevant knowledge does exist. The identity of Lucy is not subjective: Lucy doesn't hate dogs just because you've mistaken her for Suzy. In other words, the previously established identities are not mutable, and are not just names either.

ACB wrote:

The Theseus case is different, because the two ships do not have a continuous whole existence. Here, having all the relevant knowledge will not enable us to decide the issue. Whereas the problem in the Lucy/Suzy case is only semantic (naming) and/or epistemological (recognition), in the Theseus case it is ontological. In the former, there is a clear 'realist' answer, but in the latter there is none. If pressed, I suppose you could say that neither ship is the true Theseus in a realist sense, as neither meets the clear criterion of continuous whole existence. But that does not stop people from reaching a social consensus to call one of them Theseus (or calling them Theseus 1 and Theseus 2).

There's an inconsistency in method here. The Lucy/Suzy problem is a problem of subjectively appraised identity. For the owner of the Theseus, for instance, it matters not if the boats do not have a continuity of existence if he does not see any disruption. The disruption is objective. If this defines or changes or destroys the identity, then identity is objective also.
Khethil

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 08:52 am
@sthack99,
sthack99 wrote:
Since I didn't see any threads on this (except maybe one post), I thought I'd start one to see what everyone's view is on this paradox. There have been many different variations of it, so I'll post the one I like the most....

Let's say there's a really old ship called Theseus. This ship is really famous; it had been in several movies and was even the scene of a crime when a famous rapper was shot and killed on it. Well, anyway, the ship is in need of numerous repairs. The owner finally decides to get it fixed, and docks it at the repair shop. After the mechanic starts repairing it, he realizes that the entire ship needs to be repaired, so he slowly starts replacing it bit by bit. Well, because of the ships fame, the mechanic thought it would be a neat idea to, instead of throwing away the old parts, build an identical ship out of the remains. So, as he's replacing the parts on the existing ship Theseus, he starts assembling the new ship Theseus. When he gets done, he has two identical ships; one made entirely out of new parts, and one made out of the old parts.

Which one is the real ship Theseus?

I don't see this as much of a paradox as a play on words; not a very good one either.

• Which is the "real" ship (as "real", in this context, remains undefined) is a semantic way of trolling for debate.
  • One having "old" parts then another, "... made of entirely new parts" equals to two "identical" ships? Woops, that's not identical
  • Naming them both "Theseus", alone, makes them both "Theseus"; while having the comprised of different components makes them not identical - a play on 'titling' and similarity

We see these from time to time. They don't really speak to contradictions and paradox of a situation, only to word meanings and context. As such, I suppose it could be a good exercise in linguistic use - but not much more

Thanks
Bones-O

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 01:39 pm
@Khethil,
Khethil wrote:
I don't see this as much of a paradox as a play on words; not a very good one either.

• Which is the "real" ship (as "real", in this context, remains undefined) is a semantic way of trolling for debate.
  • One having "old" parts then another, "... made of entirely new parts" equals to two "identical" ships? Woops, that's not identical
  • Naming them both "Theseus", alone, makes them both "Theseus"; while having the comprised of different components makes them not identical - a play on 'titling' and similarity

We see these from time to time. They don't really speak to contradictions and paradox of a situation, only to word meanings and context. As such, I suppose it could be a good exercise in linguistic use - but not much more

Thanks

You're quite right - I noticed the second point and I think the third was mentioned earlier. Identical strictly means 'are the same thing'; however I infer the OP means identical in form. A few additional points like these make it a little more interesting.

I'm still interested in the identity problem.

1. There is a ship named 'Theseus' which has a set of properties which identify it before its is taken to be repaired.
  2. After rebuilding, there is a ship with the same form and same material constitution... the same set of properties as the ship known as 'Theseus' prior to repair. This suggests to me that since the properties are identical, the ships are identical - literally. This ship is the Theseus.
  3. The Theseus of (2) was not always a ship: all of the matter was disassembled into a pile, which means its properties are not time-independent. If the identity of Theseus survives, it must be time-dependent.
  4. In the disassembling of the parts of Theseus, an actual ship persists, and this ship is initially the Theseus (identically). If the properties of this identity are time-dependent, then as each part is replaced the identity may evolve to assimilate that part. This suggests the shiny new ship is the Theseus, even though it is not identical to the Theseus prior to repair, and the crappy old ship is.

So the reason to accept the crappy old ship is that it is, after reassembling, actually identical to the Theseus prior to repair. The reason to accept the shiny new ship is that it was always a ship and this was once the Theseus, and as this ship changed the identity of the Theseus changed with it.

I have two new-ish responses to this.

1. Time-dependent identities require observers to assimilate changes. These observers need to be the highest authorities. The highest authority on the identity of the ship is its owner. The owner will recognise the crappy old ship as the Theseus (see [2]). The crappy old ship is thus the Theseus. UNLESS the owner is present for the repair, in which case the owner will assimilate all changes (assuming they're gradual enough) and will recognise the shiny new ship as the Theseus. I'm not sure this resolves the paradox though simply because the overriding fact is that the crappy old ship is identical to the Theseus, the shiny new is not.

2. If identity is time-independent, it perhaps can be shared, the repaired ship becomes less and less the Theseus as it is repaired and the crappy old one becomes more and more the Theseus as it is rebuilt.
0 Replies

nameless

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 02:02 pm
@sthack99,
The question is born from illusion.
Everything is always different (nothing ever 'changes'!), the entire universe is (a) different (manifestation/perception) from moment to moment.
Although the ship looks like 'the same' ship/body/univese for a minute/day/decade, it is a completely different ship. The illusion is that it can ever 'be the same', from moment to moment; it cannot, nothing is.
As, in actuality, nothing can ever be 'the same' from moment a' moment (not even memory!), the original question is a false dilemna.
We see similarity, and in our ignorant and inherent limitations, imagine 'continuity'.
Too bad old Theseus (and Aristotle and Plato and Newton and Buddha...) didn't have the benefit of QM!
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 03:47 pm
@Bones-O,
Bones-O! wrote:
Again, though, you've shifted the issue to the establishing of identities not the re-establishing of previously established identities. The fact that you can't treat the problem I posed suggests you may be well aware of the limitations of your theory of identity.

I gave you an example of reestablishment of previously established identity:

Zetherin wrote:
Let's suppose even further woman A actually decides to have her name changed (via city hall, an 'official' social identity change) to Suzy. You're saying I was "wrong" (identity-wise) up until the point she went to city hall, or was I "wrong" up until the point woman A decided to have her name changed? Is social identity completely dependent upon personal appraisal at any given point in time (the latter), or are there other factors (ie. "official" - city hall, former)?

I understand where you're coming from, as you probably don't feel this is a reestablishment of identity -- the "identity" I was speaking of was more verbal (Suzy or Lucy), a categorization in mind. And I note that here:

Zetherin wrote:

Yes, I could differentiate her from women B because of the properties you explain, but in terms of social identity, regardless what name I was presented with, that person would still be that person.

You're merely speaking of "identity" in the case of physicality, because of the ship problem. Which is fair, I should have clarified beforehand.

Bones-O! wrote:

Not at all: I'm referring to identity as a means of differentiating between unique objects, be they people, boats, whatever. A set of properties that completely and uniquely define such an object. Objective identity, I suppose.

I differentiated between inanimate objects and humans because humans can verbalize, and essentially choose their social identity. This makes the human social identity (again, not touching on "Self") that much more vulnerable. The establishment can be changed on a whim. Again, I should have clarified further that I wasn't merely speaking of objective identity; I took the conversation to a new level (humans intricacies) without alarming you. For this I apologize.

Bones-O! wrote:
Precisely, and the identity of the Theseus (and Lucy) is similarly previously established. The question then is: if the identity of the Theseus survives (and the question appears to presuppose that it does), how does it do so: by continuity of physicality or continuity of form? This would provide a means of re-establishing subjective identification.
What is the difference between "Form" and "Physicality"? In the case of a ship, I would think the judgment of identity would be predominantly dependent on visual perception.

Bones-O! wrote:
Well, I gave my answer but I'm not a formalist - that doesn't mean I can deny formalism, alas. I think it's less a matter of opinion and more of definition: one person says the new-parts ship is the Theseus because of continuity of form; another that old-parts ship is Theseus because of continuity of matter; a third that either is fine because identity is subjective. All are really talking about three different types of identity.

Yes, you're correct. I was speaking of another definition of identity, and I clearly see yours. I share yours also, I just wasn't articulating my other thought very well. I think we see eye to eye.

ACB wrote:
Perhaps you misunderstood my post. I noted that of course you could re-indentiy each person as unique objects:

Zetherin wrote:
Yes, I could differentiate her from women B because of the properties you explain, but in terms of social identity, regardless what name I was presented with, that person would still be that person.

However, as a social identity, "Suzy" and "Lucy" aren't inherently attached to either body. Again, I'm asserting the proposition social identity (human identity, absent of "self") is vulnerable. I believe the complicating factor, the differentiation is: The person's ability to alter their social identity, and I gave an example. Again, I understand physicality can be distinguished (Objective Identity, as Bones notes), but the "identity" I'm speaking of here is verbal, categorization of mind -- social identity.

Bones-O! wrote:
There's an inconsistency in method here. The Lucy/Suzy problem is a problem of subjectively appraised identity. For the owner of the Theseus, for instance, it matters not if the boats do not have a continuity of existence if he does not see any disruption. The disruption is objective. If this defines or changes or destroys the identity, then identity is objective also.

This is precisely what I meant to say.

nameless wrote:
Everything is always different (nothing ever 'changes'!), the entire universe is (a) different (manifestation/perception) from moment to moment.
Although the ship looks like 'the same' ship/body/univese for a minute/day/decade, it is a completely different ship. The illusion is that it can ever 'be the same', from moment to moment; it cannot, nothing is.
As, in actuality, nothing can ever be 'the same' from moment a' moment (not even memory!), the original question is a false dilemna.
We see similarity, and in our ignorant and inherent limitations, imagine 'continuity'.
Too bad old Theseus (and Aristotle and Plato and Newton and Buddha...) didn't have the benefit of QM!
This is just dismissing the problem completely. Of course one can still identify with an object even though it's never the 'same'. These 'ignorant limitations' are seen in every human -- do you not apply meaning, identity, to anything because you understand the universe is in a state of flux? That's absurd. It's important you put focus on the human condition instead of just making this needlessly abstract, dismissing the problem completely.

If, however, you can sincerely say you never apply identity to inanimate objects because you understand nothing is the 'same' moment to moment, I'll give you a cookie. Remember, Quantum Mechanics is a new way of making sense of the world, yes, but it doesn't remove initial handlings with the world we understand so dearly! You understand that we could extrapolate your perspective out to nearly everything; you could argue that at the planck level everything is probabilistic and we never really know anything. This is just sidestepping problems like this.
nameless

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 04:08 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;51641 wrote:
nameless wrote:

This is just dismissing the problem completely.

A better understanding of existence eliminates many so called problems that arise from the ignorance of a 'poorer' understanding, or lack of.
From a Perspective of understanding, there is no 'problem' in the first place. Yes, I dismiss it completely as a manifestation of ignorance. No ignorance, no problem.

Quote:
Of course one can still identify with an object even though it's never the 'same'.

What you emotionally/egoically 'identify' with is not logic or science, it is ego and psychological processes.

Quote:
These 'ignorant limitations' are seen in every human -- do you not apply meaning, identity to anything because you understand the universe is in a state of flux?

'Meaning' is in the eye of the beholder.
'Identity' is different from moment to moment.

Quote:
That's absurd.

Thats 'science'.

Quote:
It's important you put focus on the human condition instead of just making this rationally abstract, dismissing the problem completely.

Truth/reality is 'important'.
Notions and emotions (though part of 'truth/reality') have no importance in the answering of a scientific/logical question such as the one posed. Knowledge eliminates many questions, such as this one.

Quote:
If, however, you can sincerely say you never apply identity to inanimate objects because you understand nothing is the 'same' moment to moment, I'll give you a cookie.

The identity of anything is defined universally, momentarily. 'Identity' (of anything) is different from moment to moment. The universe is different from moment to moment, whether something is perceived as 'animate' or 'inanimate' (both are a matter of Perspective).
What kind of cookie? *__-

Quote:
Remember, Quantum Mechanics is a new way of making sense of the world, yes, but it doesn't remove initial handlings with the world we understand so dearly!

The 'flat earth' that you dearly love and attach to is now obsolete.
Quantum is not a way to make sense of the 'world', it describes an entirely new reality/universe!

Quote:
You understand that we could extrapolate your perspective out to nearly everything; you could argue that at the planck level everything is probabilistic and we never really know anything.

Welcome to the 'new' QM world. You can never really 'know' anything, you 'believe/think' that you do is all, emotion and ego and psychology rather than science and critical thought.

Quote:
This is just sidestepping problems

The 'problems' that flat earthers find are of no interest to anyone who is not a 'flat earther'. Irrelevent to modern scientific and logical thought. A 'non'-problem. Do you have a problem with pink elephants, also? The 'problem' (problems are in the eyes of the beholders) was due to illusion. No illusion? No problem!

"To escape one's illusions is to plunge headlong into chaos!" -Iota
Zetherin

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 05:13 pm
@nameless,
nameless wrote:
The 'problems' that flat earthers find are of no interest to anyone who is not a 'flat earther'

Are you trying to use the book Flat Landers as reference material? Even the most ardent quantum physicists still have interest in "problems" presented in this "flat earth". You're supposing one should deny any family/political/livlihood "problems" (practically anything life-related) once the fundamentals of quantum mechanics are learned? Haha.

It may be a 'non'-problem to you, but don't place the cause of your newfounded epiphany on the shoulders of quantum mechanics -- it was your interpretation of how to live your life after discovering quantum mechanics that led you here. One can still find value in contemplating "problems" such as this and still have interest in the 'quantum world'.

nameless wrote:
The 'flat earth' that you dearly love and attach to is now obsolete.
Quantum is not a way to make sense of the 'world', it describes an entirely new reality/universe!

So, this is just how you address everything? Any contemplation that requires "old" logical thought isn't of any concern to you? I truly wonder how you communicate with others in real life, then! Do you say to everyone, "No, I must not communicate with you in a language, as I don't really *know* these words, I *think* I know! Gah!"

nameless wrote:
Notions and emotions (though part of 'truth/reality') have no importance in the answering of a scientific/logical question such as the one posed.
This is a scientific question? Interesting, I guess I missed the part where it was announced one had to utilize the scientific method to derive an answer.

nameless wrote:
'Meaning' is in the eye of the beholder.
'Identity' is different from moment to moment.
...huh?

I don't understand your differentiation. As far as I understand, identity is part of the application of meaning.

nameless wrote:

What you emotionally/egoically 'identify' with is not logic or science, it is ego and psychological processes.

That's correct, Shrodinger. Emotions are usually referred to as 'illogical'. Shall we deny all emotional tendencies in an effort to make ourselves completely "logical and scientific"? You're aware that our decision-making processes have much to do with our emotional psyche, right? Unless you've been born a sociopath or have had serious brain injury, you make choices with emotion just like the rest of us. Sorry you can't see you're just as 'human'!

nameless wrote:
Welcome to the 'new' QM world. You can never really 'know' anything, you 'believe/think' that you do is all, emotion and ego and psychology rather than science and critical thought.
Oh. Then how do you 'know' any of quantum mechanics is true, then?
ACB

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 08:19 pm
@Bones-O,
Bones-O! wrote:
As I said earlier, 'Lucy' and 'Suzy' are just labels for the identities. Perhaps I need to go into more detail as people keep adding their own in order to solve the problem. Let's say you meet Lucy on Monday. She's a happy-go-lucky type, quick to laugh, loves dogs, hates cats, and is good with children. You meet Suzy on Tuesday. She's a bit edgier, a bit competitive, like she's got something to prove, loves cats, hates dogs and keeps children at arm's length. You (a man now, irrespective of your actual gender) much prefer Lucy but think you've got a chance with Suzy.

On Wednesday you walk into a room and Lucy and Suzy are there. Which is which? You don't have all the relevant knowledge, but the relevant knowledge does exist. The identity of Lucy is not subjective: Lucy doesn't hate dogs just because you've mistaken her for Suzy. In other words, the previously established identities are not mutable, and are not just names either.

I agree with all of the above. Please let me know if you disagree with anything I said about the Lucy/Suzy problem in my post #29.

Quote:
For the owner of the Theseus, for instance, it matters not if the boats do not have a continuity of existence if he does not see any disruption.

Why not? Why should the owner be the final arbiter on the matter?

Quote:
The disruption is objective. If this defines or changes or destroys the identity, then identity is objective also.

To simplify matters, I would prefer to say that identity is always objective. In the Lucy/Suzy case, it is objective and decidable (given sufficient knowledge). In the Theseus case, it is objective but undecidable, because the term 'identity' (though perfectly clear normally) is too imprecise to give a definite answer in such an unusual situation.
Zetherin

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 08:54 pm
@sthack99,
I don't really understand how identity can be objective. Isn't the application of identity, the application of meaning, subjectively applied? Existence would be objective, but I don't see how identity is. Perhaps I'm just not understanding the definition of "identity" being used here.

I'm assuming you guys are defining "identity" as Ann Rand's Objectivist axiom:

"Objectivism regards identity as the essence of existence: "Existence is Identity." The corollary of this is the Law of Identity, which states that everything that exists has an identity, and that whatever has an identity is an existent"

Again, perhaps I've been misinterpreting the word "identity" the entire time. I perceived "identity" as something that comes after the fact -- the whole which is the 'real' ship debate.
Theaetetus

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 09:01 pm
@Khethil,
Khethil wrote:

Thanks

I agree with this perspective on this so-called though experiment. The only identity problem that exists is how we use language to identify things. If we want to make this conversation productive, a new though experiment should be formed that better approaches the topic of identity than the one originally chosen.
0 Replies