A World without Religion

Zetherin

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 07:23 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
The difference has nothing to do with the number of God concepts available for consideration. The "ancient" atheist was not a self-proclaimed atheist; people were called atheists by their society if the person rejected the God or gods worshipped by the society in question; this does not mean that people who were called atheists were non-theists, only that their theism was not the same theism as practiced by the rest of that society.

It's a matter of the meaning of the word changing.

As I noted, atheists can not know every notion of "God" that has been, is, or will be. This means that modern and ancient atheists alike only denounce theism that they are of knowledge of, nothing more; if there is not a construct in mind, there is nothing to denounce. Ancient atheists could have been non-theists, denouncing every notion of "God" they knew, just as modern atheists can. Because they weren't of knowledge of other notions of "God", and they denounced the only notion of "God" they knew, they were non-theists. Whether they self-proclaimed this or not is irrelevant. Similarly, as a modern atheist I can denounce every notion of "God" I do know or I could practice a path of spirituality that deviates from the society I live in. If we don't call me an atheist for the latter, then we shouldn't call one from ancient times an atheist for also doing the latter.

I see no other distinction besides the amount of "God" constructs one has the capability to have knowledge of. Humans can accept or denounce notions of "God" just as they always have been capable of.

Why do you believe that ancient atheists could not have been non-theists?
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 07:34 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
The difference has nothing to do with the number of God concepts available for consideration. The "ancient" atheist was not a self-proclaimed atheist; people were called atheists by their society if the person rejected the God or gods worshipped by the society in question; this does not mean that people who were called atheists were non-theists, only that their theism was not the same theism as practiced by the rest of that society.

It's a matter of the meaning of the word changing.

There is some history in the Bible, but to say that the Bible is more history than anything else seems false.

The Gospels are clearly not history, but stories invented around the character Jesus. The epistles contain historical information, but were not histories: instead they were exhortations targeted toward specific audiences. The Old Testament has more history than the New Testament, but the history contained within is oral tradition, mythologized accounts of the past. Some parts of the Old Testament are purely mythological accounts, like Genesis.

The Bible is more didactic mythology than anything else.

There is even polytheism to the everlasting embarrassment of the Jews... My bet is tha Ahkanaten in Egypt was a descendent of Joseph, and that his people escaped during the exodus, taking the Egyptian habit of circumcision with them...It seem that only at that point did they reject all other Gods.
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 07:38 pm
@Elmud,
Theists have tended to want to answer questions regarding the origin of life or moral laws by claiming that there is a vaguely anthropomorphic all-powerful force or forces who has/have acted as architechts of the universe and dictators of what is good or bad.

Atheists are those who refute the need for this explanation.

Whilst both groups have, over time, come up with ever more sophisticated or seductive arguements and illustrations - I don't feel that there is a real paradigm shift between an athiest of yore and one of today.
Fido

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 07:56 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Yes, spiritualism is also religion, but I doubt children are born believing they can commune with the dead.

Yes; until modern times an atheist was someone who did not worship the community's deities, rather than someone who rejected belief in God.

As who knows it? Animism is one of the earliest forms of religion, and is still widely practiced around the globe. Prior to conversion to Islam, the religion of the Arabs was animistic. A sword made of bronze is still a sword even though swords are not typically made of bronze today.

This often is the case, however, it is not necessarily the case. Take, for example, the Baha'i faith.

A fixed religion is a quality of a stabile, located society, essentially civilized people... People living in an Ordu have greater reason to fear nature than those living in houses...The move from naturalism to animism represents a change in intelligence which is also shown in advanced technology... It is a sign of an advanced society to have a city God, and is a sign of an even greater advance to have only a single god beyond representation, and better yet to have no God... One must have some established practice and belief for one to be tied back as religion means, to the practice and belief of ones people... A religion needs a priesthood, and a priesthood is like an aristocracy in that it requires the support of a large population and an advanced technology....Every old man was a medicine man among the Indians, and it was to an individual spirit, their guide to which they would appeal... I know it is dated, but Jaynes book on the on the origin of consciousness in the breakdown of the bicameral mind...If you look at some guy like Moses who could not distinguish an inner voice from the voice of God.... If you read some of ancient liturature, you see that people were not different rationally, not better or worse, or less calculating in their behavior; but they were different in regard to their sense of psychology... You see Socrates dealling with his unconscious trying to break into his rational world with insights and advice.... Clearly, more primitive peoples construed such sub conciouse, unconscious messaging as communications of a special and unique, even supernatural being, and out of an indiviudal's God, or guiding spirit, everyones God, and was formed.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 08:03 pm
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen wrote:
Theists have tended to want to answer questions regarding the origin of life or moral laws by claiming that there is a vaguely anthropomorphic all-powerful force or forces who has/have acted as architechts of the universe and dictators of what is good or bad.

Atheists are those who refute the need for this explanation.

Whilst both groups have, over time, come up with ever more sophisticated or seductive arguements and illustrations - I don't feel that there is a real paradigm shift between an athiest of yore and one of today.

It is quite possible that the Christians were the greatest athiests of all time... They did not accept the physical representation of God, like the Jews; but unlike almost all people in the mediterainian area... The representation of the God was God... The first thing that would happen if your city was defeated was the enemy carting off capitives and your God...It is because of this feeling so common among people that few statues can be found from that area that are not defaced... The Christians like to knock the noses off statues to prove that the God was powerless, and no harm would come to them for the crime...
Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 08:11 pm
@Fido,
Zetherin wrote:

Why do you believe that ancient atheists could not have been non-theists?

They could have been. My point is about the way the word is and has been used: in modern times the word atheist underwent a change in meaning; the meaning changed from 'someone who rejects the god(s) of his society' to 'someone who rejects theism'.

Fido wrote:
The move from naturalism to animism represents a change in intelligence which is also shown in advanced technology

The shift from animism to polytheism/theism has nothing to do with intelligence but conditions of life.

Fido wrote:
One must have some established practice and belief for one to be tied back as religion means, to the practice and belief of ones people...

Religion does not mean to be tied back.

Fido wrote:
A religion needs a priesthood, and a priesthood is like an aristocracy in that it requires the support of a large population and an advanced technology.

Religion does not need a priesthood, organized religion needs a priesthood (or, at least, every organized religion that has existed thus far). Organized religion, however, does not need a large population: small hunter gatherer groups and early agrarian villages had organized religion.
Zetherin

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 08:36 pm
@Elmud,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
They could have been. My point is about the way the word is and has been used: in modern times the word atheist underwent a change in meaning; the meaning changed from 'someone who rejects the god(s) of his society' to 'someone who rejects theism'.
What is the difference between 'someone who rejects the god(s) of his society' and 'someone who rejects theism? Theism, for the individual in ancient times, would be the gods of the given society, no? What more could theism contain besides the religious/mythology notions one is aware?
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 08:36 pm
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen wrote:
Sounds suspect to me - what is it about children that makes you think they are born spiritualists?

I doubt children are born with much awareness of anything at all - but that they pick up stories and ideas at an early age.

I reckon if a child were raised with early influences being purely rationalist then the child itself may well not have any particular spiritualist bent.

However, it would be monstrously cruel, I think, to deny a child stories which revolve around fairytales, or fantasy, or Santa Claus, or ghosts. I believed in such things to varying degrees as a child - because adults deceived me about them. But I'm grateful for it because I think I would have imaginatively impoverished without them.

I don't think it made me a spiritualist though - it was just that at that age I was naturally credulous and enjoyed such tales and benefitted from the simple metaphores they illustrate - why this particular label of 'spiritualist' for children?

Where is the child that does not believe in ghosts or magic??? They do not understand cause and effect, and actually are missing the sense of conservation... The do not understand that they will not flush down the toilet, of fit down the dreain... Again, they grow up with the magic of love, where others anticipate their needs, come before they are called, and reasure them... Their fear is unfounded, and their understanding is unfounded... And what do we do but mystify them... The wires are hidden, but we flip the switch and the lights come on.. Is it any wonder that grown people do not understand electrical circuits??? Its all magic... When people do not understand they are forced to believe but what they believe will be individual..
Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 08:58 pm
@Fido,
Zetherin wrote:
What is the difference between 'someone who rejects the god(s) of his society' and 'someone who rejects theism? Theism, for the individual in ancient times, would be the gods of the given society, no? What more could theism contain besides the religious/mythology notions one is aware?

(Poly)Theism would be the belief in the god(s) of his society, yes, but not limited to those gods. Ancient people traded over vast distances and were aware of their neighbor's customs and rituals. Emperor Ashoka of India, who took the throne around 270, sent Buddhist missions to northern China, to Mesopotamia, to Egypt and Greece: his missions travelled the known world spreading the emperor's name and Buddhism. That's a remarkable demonstration, but we can begin to see, to our surprise, just how worldly the ancients were.

But even if we set aside knowledge of foreign deities, imagine an Aristotle: he doubts the traditional pantheon and imagines a new sort of deity (in the case of Aristotle, the prime mover). Such a person would have been called an atheist even though they believed in some sort of god.
Fido

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 08:58 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:

The shift from animism to polytheism/theism has nothing to do with intelligence but conditions of life.

Religion does not mean to be tied back.

Religion does not need a priesthood, organized religion needs a priesthood (or, at least, every organized religion that has existed thus far). Organized religion, however, does not need a large population: small hunter gatherer groups and early agrarian villages had organized religion.

And that is what I am saying... Religion is organized... What does the dictionary definition say??? It is not individual but common... It is ritual, and what does ritual do??? Some body mentioned the primitives of South America, who had religion, and were civilized in a sense... But one thing their human sacrifices were supposed do was open a door to the future... In a sense that is true of all ritual, that marked by the calender, they are supposed to make time turn again to that same point one year later, with every one safe, and sound, alive and well fed...When spiritualism becomes a form of behavior and not just a form of thought, you have religion... Even among the Romans the priesthood was not a profesional office, but a political one... Caesar was once the pontif, which means bridge builder...Does it make you wonder why??? London bridge is falling down...Why??? The bones of the fair lady were rumoured to be those of a suicide, or a murder victim... My father helped build the Mackinaw Bridge... There are rumours of a man buried in the caisons... The story is common, mentioned in Saturday Night Fever...In fact, every cornerstone used to be an alter for a human sacrifice... Such were the fears of men that all natural forces must be Placated...

To have religion a people must have advanced to a point where spirituality was not everything, but something... Primitives where entirely surrounded by spirits, but the more technology a people has the more spirituality was just something among many obligations that needed attending to... It may not seem like much, but it is a serious difference...
Zetherin

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 09:09 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Such a person would have been called an atheist even though they believed in some sort of god.

And today Artistotle would be deemed a theist?
0 Replies

Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 09:11 pm
@Fido,
Religion can be individual, though: religion need not be organized. Religion is what man practices to fulfill his spiritual needs: spirituality and religion are the same. The distinction is not between religion and spirituality but between organized religion and spirituality.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 09:12 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Zetherin wrote:
And today Artistotle would be deemed a theist?

I would call him a theist because he invented his own god concept: the prime mover. Others interpret him differently. It's not that big of a deal, really, I was just looking for an example to clarify my point.
Zetherin

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 09:24 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
I would call him a theist because he invented his own god concept: the prime mover. Others interpret him differently. It's not that big of a deal, really, I was just looking for an example to clarify my point.

But if others may interpret him differently, then how can you make the claim that the term "atheist" has definitively changed as a whole? Wouldn't it be the case that others did not interpret him anything but a theist if the term atheist really has changed as much as you say?
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 09:55 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Religion can be individual, though: religion need not be organized. Religion is what man practices to fulfill his spiritual needs: spirituality and religion are the same. The distinction is not between religion and spirituality but between organized religion and spirituality.

Choice is heresy, or so I have been told, in the original sense of the word...When two similar things are clled by different names it is a give away that they are not the same thing... If nature is not given to superfluities, niether is language...It is possible that a republican is a democrat with his clothes on... But that is unlikely..
0 Replies

Icon

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 10:54 pm
@Elmud,
Religion is like a bottle. When we are young and have no teeth, we need to use a bottle to feed. As we get older, our dependence on the bottle goes away and the bottle is eventually tossed out.

The same is true with many human ideas and concepts. We need them as a jump point but we must eventually grow out of them. Religion is one of these things. Along with religion, segregation of all sorts, power mongering and collecting things. All these things need to vanish as we take the next step in human evolution.

"When I was a child I thought as a child but now that I am a man, it is time to do away with childish things."
Zetherin

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 11:49 pm
@Elmud,
Icon wrote:
Religion is like a bottle. When we are young and have no teeth, we need to use a bottle to feed. As we get older, our dependence on the bottle goes away and the bottle is eventually tossed out.

I disagree with this analogy. Spirituality seems intertwined with humanity, and is not something an individual necessarily grows out of. Are you to say every older human that has not done away with spirituality is a 'child'?

Quote:
The same is true with many human ideas and concepts. We need them as a jump point but we must eventually grow out of them. Religion is one of these things. Along with religion, segregation of all sorts, power mongering and collecting things. All these things need to vanish as we take the next step in human evolution.

Throughout our 200,000 year existence, we haven't 'grown out' of power mongering, religion, or segregation. What leads you to believe we must (or even have the capabilities to) 'grow out' of such things?
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 04:16 am
@Elmud,
Quote:
Choice is heresy, or so I have been told
- I believe 'heresy' is from the Greek word 'to have an opinion'. In the time that Christianity was formalised (dogmatised?) your opinion about it was worse than irrelevant - it was subversive, because it implied that you knew, or thought you knew, something different to what had been revealed by God. So if you strayed from orthodoxy by having 'views' ("hey you - you got an ATTITUDE!?!") then you were, ipso facto, heretic. (But bear in mind, this was before the invention of the 'person', or so it might be argued.)

That said, I think the idea that we could be 'without religion' is wishful thinking - no society has ever been without it. From neanderthal flower burials to the Crystal Cathedral, it is indisputable that humans are intrinsically 'homo religiosis', like it or not. And furthermore it is a generalisation to suppose that 'religion' is always regressive, superstitious, authoritarian. True, it often has been, but it also encompasses the sublime, the ecstatic, in my experience. I would not want to loose the latter in dumping the former.

Quote:
spirituality and religion are the same

Beg to differ. Spirituality is chosen, religion is imposed, to make a very simplistic distinction. Spirituality is (in my mind) the individual quest to interpret the meaning of experience (either generally, or of very specific experiences.) Religion is 'organised belief', believing what you are told to believe. Of course, they overlap and blur, and each contains parts of the other. But they are distinct. Eastern religions tend more toward experiential spirituality, Western orthodoxy towards imposed belief (indeed 'orthdox' means 'right belief'.)
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 04:49 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
Where is the child that does not believe in ghosts or magic??? They do not understand cause and effect, and actually are missing the sense of conservation... The do not understand that they will not flush down the toilet, of fit down the dreain... Again, they grow up with the magic of love, where others anticipate their needs, come before they are called, and reasure them... Their fear is unfounded, and their understanding is unfounded... And what do we do but mystify them... The wires are hidden, but we flip the switch and the lights come on.. Is it any wonder that grown people do not understand electrical circuits??? Its all magic... When people do not understand they are forced to believe but what they believe will be individual..
If you found parents who were willing to sacrifice their child's social skills and imagination by supressing stories of ghosts and teaching the facts behind electical circuits you may well have a merely rationalist child.

I happen to think it's a hideous vision - but I still deny that a child is born a spiritualist. That they come to believe (to varying degrees) in the supernatural is just evidence of the pervasiveness of telling children stories of the supernatural.
Fido

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 05:56 am
@Icon,
Icon wrote:

"When I was a child I thought as a child but now that I am a man, it is time to do away with childish things."

Spiritualism is like a teat... When you feel one in your mouth you know you are a God... When you learn you are not God, but cannot deny there is a God you are religious, because there the power of life is outside of people...Look at the evolution of religion in the minds of men... Where each man was a priest, able to conjure, to farsee, to curse, and to punish; and then to where this power became divided in the minds of men into good and evil, and finally where religion became only white and not black magic weilded by a professional class of priests...