A World without Religion

nerdfiles

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 12:55 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:
I don't understand the distinction.

Insects cannot rationalize on human level - they do not have the capacity to do so. What's the difference between "Insects do not have the capacity to evidence that they have a conception of death" and "Insects cannot have a conception of death". They of course cannot evidence a conception, because they cannot rationalize in this way (as far as we know). It seems you've added this *before* factor, which I'm not quite clear on.

I personally felt somewhat unsure of the clarity of my post short after providing it. I apologize let me try to rephrase, even if my rephrasing casts my prior post to a trash bin. I should like to clarify my argument, not so much that particular post. I should be brief since you might very well agree with me (but I cannot promise miracles; sometimes even God could not keep me from being long-winded).

What I'm trying to say is this: It is not the case that insects (animals generally) do not give us evidence that they have concept possession (which is presupposed by having a conception of). It's not like "that child is not giving me evidence that he is hurt (by crying)."

Crying would be a kind of evidence for "is in pain." That is because we consider it as such. It's criterial evidence. Any one child is or is not making this evidence available. Any one child could, in principle, provide it.

However, an insect could not give such evidence for concept possess. It's not that an insect, or some insects, somewhere, is or is not giving out such evidence. It's not that it's concealing its mastery of concept possession from us, as if we were supposed to look harder and harder for it, invest more empirical research into its study. An insect, as it conventionally stands, fails to be the kind of thing which could give us such evidence. It would be like asking for the evidence that a piece of pie is an atheist. It's not that the pie is not now, rather than some time later, giving the confirming or confuting evidence. The pie just isn't the kind of thing that could.

Thus, could not possibly (modal) and does not (empirical) is my distinction. It would not be an empirical discovery that insects do not have concept possession and further certain conceptions; it would have to be a decision about the meaning of our terms; i.e., "concepts," "conceptions," "possession of a concept," "to have a conception of," etc (along with the backing reasons for why we should now allow insects to engage in such an activity).
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 01:47 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:
I don't understand the distinction.

Insects cannot rationalize on human level - they do not have the capacity to do so. What's the difference between "Insects do not have the capacity to evidence that they have a conception of death" and "Insects cannot have a conception of death". They of course cannot evidence a conception, because they cannot rationalize in this way (as far as we know). It seems you've added this *before* factor, which I'm not quite clear on.

I don't think humans have the ability conceive of life in the abstract since it can never be so abstract as immediate..They do not have to know what life is to fear its loss...If it is all you know it is all you have...
0 Replies

ratta

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2009 05:21 pm
@Elmud,
i think thats a great idea coz as we know already without using the word god and subsequently the devil there is good and bad or what would u have what would u feel u would not exist, or r u just incapable of fulfilling ure own wishes. its out of ure hands it already exists but as long as people keep thinking that their in control they tend to lose moral judgement and think what the hell i will do what i want im in control but the ''wiser'' of us know already that the world exists coz we are not blind and can look at the way peoples skin ages. or do u have no skin here what r u are u an alienwith no skin. what are these things that speak like u and think like u walking around that have skin or did i just imagine it maybe u underestimate the devil/god who covered u in sin after the fruit was eatin. well the car has a creater the chair has a creater is the world created by u. u seem to control it very well. if u created u then why choose to die how come you are u is it just you maybe you have always been here and if u are going to die as the skin dies no body said you were skin everybodys skin but your not everyone, guess what good news u cant be distroyed,how ever u are corruptable and as i said before its is a good idea thAT man 'kind' should think that there is no religion just tell them to close their eyes and thi nk happy thoughts and wish themselves out of the skin that their covered in u have no choice. the only catch that lucifer the most beautiful of angels fell was for the love of jesus and the loyalty he felt because jesus isnt just a man but he is gods computer, god can do anything with jesus anything he likes, even kill him becauase he knows that jesus is neither good nor bad hes just up for the craic. satan told mankind that he controled the darkness but really he is waiting til jesus opens up eternal darkness then he can feed on the souls and flesh of everyone and since no knows about religion i would say that to believe that u are in control of darkness without actually exerting any energy while ure on earth and ure controlling the most powerful force in the palm of ure hand our lord jesus the computer of god but seeing as how the is no devil and the is no god i would say thats ure best bet ure in control why not become a murde3rer sure u can do what ever u want well that sort of ignorance just leaves u looking like a fool i can see it but u cant because remember ure in control of ure own desting do u see the little cycle were in its called the wirld, u have to share coz believe me their is a warrior out there and hes not messing about hes serious.
love forever hatred forever where ever he is im jealous as hell but i wouldnt get 'stoned' as in hit by rocks coz that shits for mad men the worlds a crazy place never underestimate yourself or are u just hardcore powerful, there is no such thing as salvation jesus christ is the construct for the 'matrix' both heaven and hell mad hey?
god on him he my saviour but in all honesty make ure own mind up what are u listening to me for?
0 Replies