A quote from the Vatican.

Zetherin

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 07:03 pm
@Elmud,
Elmud wrote:
I have heard all of the arguments Xris. You would have to had lived my life to completely understand my certain certainty in regards to this matter. But, that is me. You are free to believe what you wish.

I genuinely have a curious mind, and I'd really enjoy hearing why you've come to this conclusion. I understand it's personal, but if you're comfortable detailing anything I'd love to hear.
Elmud

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 10:01 pm
@Zetherin,
Aw. I'm not good at testimonials Zeth. I am not religious, and I am not a Christian.So, it is a personal thing. Some things are best left personal. Thanks for asking though.
xris

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 03:39 am
@Elmud,
Elmud wrote:
Aw. I'm not good at testimonials Zeth. I am not religious, and I am not a Christian.So, it is a personal thing. Some things are best left personal. Thanks for asking though.
Well i find it difficult you proposing knowledge of a subject and not sharing it.You have made a faith driven statement opposing my post, how am i to debate if you just say im wrong but wont tell me why..:perplexed:..Believe it or not i know im right,i was a christian and believe there was a man called jesus.
Zetherin

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 10:12 am
@Elmud,
Elmud wrote:

Oh, you're very good with testimonials, my friend. Hit any squirrels lately? :bigsmile:

I understand, just thought I'd ask: I've been researching his historicity for some time, so I'm interested in whatever evidence you may believe or have heard.
0 Replies

Elmud

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 03:15 pm
@xris,
xris wrote:
Well i find it difficult you proposing knowledge of a subject and not sharing it.You have made a faith driven statement opposing my post, how am i to debate if you just say im wrong but wont tell me why..:perplexed:..Believe it or not i know im right,i was a christian and believe there was a man called jesus.
Believe it or not Xris. I don't like to debate. Quite often, I get my butt kicked. lol. But, its okay to play the loser every now and then. As long as both viewpoints are set forth.
xris

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 03:54 pm
@Elmud,
Elmud wrote:
Believe it or not Xris. I don't like to debate. Quite often, I get my butt kicked. lol. But, its okay to play the loser every now and then. As long as both viewpoints are set forth.
i dont think your being fair playing the looser.We all get our rear kicked now and again but the inmates here wears slippers so it dont hurt too much.
GoshisDead

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 03:58 pm
@xris,
xris wrote:
i dont think your being fair playing the looser.We all get our rear kicked now and again but the inmates here wears slippers so it dont hurt too much.

I agree with you and I agree with Elmud, its not really playing fair, but as far as the slippers thing goes, in regards to personal spiritual experience some people in here wear cleted slippers.
0 Replies

Elmud

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 04:38 pm
@xris,
xris wrote:

To be honest, its more about a weakness I have than anything else. In times past, I got so wrapped up in an issue that I became emotionally distraught to the point of actually losing my focus and saying things that did not make any damn sense at all. When debating, one has to steer clear of appeal to authority, circular reasoning and sometimes, the all too easy trap of the ole ad hominem. Its a lot of work to me. Too much work. I'm lazy Xris. lol. In the case of Jesus, it is an emotional thing. So, i have to steer clear of my personal feelings on the matter. Hope ya understand.
Zetherin

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 04:51 pm
@Elmud,
Elmud wrote:
To be honest, its more about a weakness I have than anything else. In times past, I got so wrapped up in an issue that I became emotionally distraught to the point of actually losing my focus and saying things that did not make any damn sense at all. When debating, one has to steer clear of appeal to authority, circular reasoning and sometimes, the all too easy trap of the ole ad hominem. Its a lot of work to me. Too much work. I'm lazy Xris. lol. In the case of Jesus, it is an emotional thing. So, i have to steer clear of my personal feelings on the matter. Hope ya understand.

If you're too lazy to enter into critical discussion, I'm quite surprised you've made your way to a philosophy forum!
Elmud

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 05:23 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:
If you're too lazy to enter into critical discussion, I'm quite surprised you've made your way to a philosophy forum!

I enjoy others points of view.
Elmud

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 05:51 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:

To be quite honest, I open myself up to Xris because he seems to be a nice guy. I like to share opinions on things. If by saying, critical discussion you mean debating an issue into the ground with the sole purpose of "winning', then yes, call it what you want. Lazy. Standoffish. Whatever. Ive had my share of apologetic discussions with others that do not share my view. I found that it limits open minded discussions. You beat a dead horse. I enjoy every now and then a challenge. I like to put my two cents in now and then. You want evidence of the existance of Jesus? I have none. you want me to prove the existance of God?I can't. And, if i could, i would not. That is "my" philosophy. If you do not care for this philosophy, then ignore it. Its that simple.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 08:39 pm
@Elmud,
Elmud wrote:
I enjoy others points of view.

But judging from the fact you have 304 posts, it appears that you're contributing, and dare I say... critically discussing! From my experience with you, it doesn't appear you fear critical discussion in general.

Either way, I've enjoyed your company.
Quote:

To be quite honest, I open myself up to Xris because he seems to be a nice guy. I like to share opinions on things. If by saying, critical discussion you mean debating an issue into the ground with the sole purpose of "winning', then yes, call it what you want. Lazy. Standoffish. Whatever. Ive had my share of apologetic discussions with others that do not share my view. I found that it limits open minded discussions. You beat a dead horse. I enjoy every now and then a challenge. I like to put my two cents in now and then. You want evidence of the existance of Jesus? I have none. you want me to prove the existance of God?I can't. And, if i could, i would not. That is "my" philosophy. If you do not care for this philosophy, then ignore it. Its that simple.
I'm sorry I struck a nerve, it wasn't my intention. I asked politely about your belief in Jesus. I didn't think I was being rude.

Zetherin wrote:
I genuinely have a curious mind, and I'd really enjoy hearing why you've come to this conclusion. I understand it's personal, but if you're comfortable detailing anything I'd love to hear.
Elmud

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 09:18 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:
But judging from the fact you have 304 posts, it appears that you're contributing, and dare I say... critically discussing! From my experience with you, it doesn't appear you fear critical discussion in general.

Either way, I've enjoyed your company.
I'm sorry I struck a nerve, it wasn't my intention. I asked politely about your belief in Jesus. I didn't think I was being rude.

Zeth. He was constantly, consistently asked questions on the how and why of things. Over and over and over again, he taught them about "faith". Love, and faith. I cannot imagine the pressure that they put on him. Pressure and force.

I'm getting older. I have many more years behind me than I have ahead of me. I have spent a great deal of time trying to prove the improvable. Forsaking the very teachings of the one whom I love. At this point in my life, I want to try and be faithful to his philosophy of faith. Trust. He never asked anything else of us than this. To have faith, and love one another as he loved us. I want to try and be faithful to this as best I know how.

Sorry I got a little emotional. But, that is a part of me and a part of what makes me a fallible human being. I understand curiosity better than anyone. That is a part of our nature as human beings. I am curious too about things.

No, for me personally, I have no doubts. But, that is just me. I cannot explain it any other way than to just put it in the category of faith, and love. I enjoy talking with you. Hope to talk with you again. Thanks for listening.
xris

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 08:41 am
@Elmud,
I understand your feelings even if i find it bit frustrating not debate your opinions, but thats life..My plc playing up so i might be gone for a while..talk to you soon xris.
0 Replies