Resentment and the State

Bones-O

Reply Fri 22 May, 2009 09:10 am
First of all, apologies for the length of this post. It concerns what I consider an injustice in the relationship between the state and the individual.

EDIT: Given no responses, I've edited the thread to be more readable.

• The greatest needs of the individual are (i) to hunt or gather food; (ii) to find or build shelter.
  • In a state of nature, each individual principally has equal right to resources and habitat as any other - that is they are free to feed and take shelter.
  • The power structure of the state (as in government) is by and large along feudal lines, with a plurach instead of a monarch, and corporations and landowners in the place of Lords and Knights.
  • The freedom to feed and take shelter is suspended by the state.
  • One may 'rent back' this freedom by fulfilling obligations to the state either directly or indirectly via the corporations and landowners.
  • The contract between the state and the individual whereby such freedoms are suspended in lieu of fulfillment of obligations has not been agreed by the individual.
  • Because of the importance of these provisions, the state exerts much more control over its civilians than it could if it recognised the freedoms of the individual - the individual has had his freedoms ransomed.
  • The principle benefit afforded the individual by the contract he did not agree to is that where competition for food would rely on accidental circumstances in the natural state (e.g. geographical location, strength of competitor), the present form of the state (should) ensure that availability of resources is commensurate to extent of fulfilled obligations.
  • In the current climate, there is too much food to give rise to competition.
  • The suspension of these freedoms are economically unjustifiable: personal wealth is great enough an incentive to agree to fulfill obligations to the state.
  • Utopian visions consistently cite free availability of food and habitat as Utopian concepts - at least upon inspection, the individual does feel the lack of his freedoms and wishes the state to relinquish them.

Appraisal: The suspension of these freedoms of the individual is an unjustifiable crime - we are born into a contract we could never have agreed and have no choice but to act on its terms. Our technology has progressed the level that Utopian fiction has dreamed of, upon which hunger and homelessness should no longer drive our actions. There is no impediment to implementing at least this aspect of such a vision - of returning to the people what is rightfully theirs - except that in doing so the state would be relinquishing its greatest method of control. That it does not is unjust and this must be recognised on some level by us. I believe it is the duty of the state of any nation calling itself developed to ensure that the acquisition of food and shelter is not a determining factor in how the individual contributes toward his society, and that the state has never had claim over such freedoms - it simply took them as part of building a feudalism that remains intact today.

Cheers... Bones
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,646 • Replies: 55
No top replies

hue-man

Reply Fri 22 May, 2009 03:10 pm
@Bones-O,
Applause, applause, applause. I couldn't have said it better myself. We should have real self-government (anarchism and direct democracy), the collective ownership of the means of production, the equal distribution of goods and services, and the abolishment of the state and all coercive institutions.
Bones-O

Reply Fri 22 May, 2009 04:08 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man wrote:
Applause, applause, applause. I couldn't have said it better myself. We should have real self-government (anarchism and direct democracy), the collective ownership of the means of production, the equal distribution of goods and services, and the abolishment of the state and all coercive institutions.

Wow! I was getting ready for a real kicking, if from no others than the more nationalistically-minded who hate this kind of sentiment. I'm much encouraged. Many thanks hue-man.
0 Replies

Bones-O

Reply Fri 22 May, 2009 07:08 pm
@Bones-O,
Actually, anarchism makes a nice counterpoint. The key point to my argument is that the state criminalises direct self-provision - capitulation to the state's terms becomes a survival necessity. This is the 'crime' of which I spoke.

In an anarchism, I envisage one of two possibilities: one where the group takes responsibility for its own, e.g. it provides food and shelter for the whole group, for instance by having its own agriculture and housing plan; the other in which self-provision is protected. Freeloading, then, is self-regulating: anyone who does not add value to the group as at least free to provide for himself.

In a centralised government that includes government of agriculture and housing, as I said, direct self-provision is criminalised - the state has robbed us of this freedom. The only just action is ensuring all are provided for: including freeloaders. Since the state has not afforded them the possibility of isolationist existence, it cannot justifiably insist on making basic provisions a condition of employment. Such provisions should be a necessary payment for these rights. 1 + -1 = 0: balance. The state has reneged on this, what should be their end of the bargain. But the state is big, and I am small, and so I have to pay while it may sit on its hands.
Krumple

Reply Fri 22 May, 2009 07:49 pm
@Bones-O,
Quote:
the equal distribution of goods and services, and the abolishment of the state and all coercive institutions.

I really don't think you can realistically get this. I think people rely more on the concept then the practice of it. I'll try to explain what I mean by pointing out another flaw in the have all's with no effort.

A little while back (being lazy here) there was a thread about using technology to release the individual from the burden of forced production and given equal opportunity for life necessities.

That is all fine and dandy but it neglects something.

If you want to automate everything you have to change many factors not just one factor. For example. Power.

Power doesn't just magically appear at your home. Most of it travels along high tension power lines which need to be monitored daily, yes, daily. This requires individuals not some automated robot. Also this job is very risky and requires lots of training. If you are not sure what I am talking about I'll explain.

These high tension power lines can not be assessed from the ground, they require the use of a helicopter which requires a pilot. You could not automate the pilot for this job. It requires very skilled flying and assessment for it to work, something our current technology simply could not safely achieve. The pilot takes a worker up to the tops of these power towers and drops them onto the tower. If the helicopter is not properly grounded it will damage the helicopter and the worker. Hence the danger with the job. The workers job is not something that can be done with a robot either since it requires a physical presence. They attempted to use cameras to complete the job but it was discovered to miss much of the defects that a person can easily see. So they stick with an actual person over automated cameras.

Okay I apologize for a long explanation but here is my conclusion. This high risk job can not be automated, therefore how is it fair for those who do similar risky jobs who get the same house or food as a person who works a less risk intensive job? It can't be fair, won't be fair, and isn't fair. Therefore you would have to supply a higher standard of living for those who do higher risk jobs. As soon as you start to give one person more than you completely break this Utopian idea.

This doesn't even account for medical care or other such systems which would also probably be tagged onto equal distribution.
0 Replies

hue-man

Reply Fri 22 May, 2009 07:49 pm
@Bones-O,
Bones-O! wrote:
Actually, anarchism makes a nice counterpoint. The key point to my argument is that the state criminalises direct self-provision - capitulation to the state's terms becomes a survival necessity. This is the 'crime' of which I spoke.

In an anarchism, I envisage one of two possibilities: one where the group takes responsibility for its own, e.g. it provides food and shelter for the whole group, for instance by having its own agriculture and housing plan; the other in which self-provision is protected. Freeloading, then, is self-regulating: anyone who does not add value to the group as at least free to provide for himself.

In a centralised government that includes government of agriculture and housing, as I said, direct self-provision is criminalised - the state has robbed us of this freedom. The only just action is ensuring all are provided for: including freeloaders. Since the state has not afforded them the possibility of isolationist existence, it cannot justifiably insist on making basic provisions a condition of employment. Such provisions should be a necessary payment for these rights. 1 + -1 = 0: balance. The state has reneged on this, what should be their end of the bargain. But the state is big, and I am small, and so I have to pay while it may sit on its hands.

I agree, the state can make you do that because it's a coercive institution that fear mongers us into believing we need it for a just society. The fear mongering helps to maintain their power and wealth, and it is so organic that people believe being taxed is simply how things are supposed to be.

The anarchist society I propose is one where the community collectively owns the means of production and provides goods and services to all of it's members.

---------- Post added at 09:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 PM ----------

Krumple wrote:
I really don't think you can realistically get this. I think people rely more on the concept then the practice of it. I'll try to explain what I mean by pointing out another flaw in the have all's with no effort.

A little while back (being lazy here) there was a thread about using technology to release the individual from the burden of forced production and given equal opportunity for life necessities.

That is all fine and dandy but it neglects something.

If you want to automate everything you have to change many factors not just one factor. For example. Power.

Power doesn't just magically appear at your home. Most of it travels along high tension power lines which need to be monitored daily, yes, daily. This requires individuals not some automated robot. Also this job is very risky and requires lots of training. If you are not sure what I am talking about I'll explain.

These high tension power lines can not be assessed from the ground, they require the use of a helicopter which requires a pilot. You could not automate the pilot for this job. It requires very skilled flying and assessment for it to work, something our current technology simply could not safely achieve. The pilot takes a worker up to the tops of these power towers and drops them onto the tower. If the helicopter is not properly grounded it will damage the helicopter and the worker. Hence the danger with the job. The workers job is not something that can be done with a robot either since it requires a physical presence. They attempted to use cameras to complete the job but it was discovered to miss much of the defects that a person can easily see. So they stick with an actual person over automated cameras.

Okay I apologize for a long explanation but here is my conclusion. This high risk job can not be automated, therefore how is it fair for those who do similar risky jobs who get the same house or food as a person who works a less risk intensive job? It can't be fair, won't be fair, and isn't fair. Therefore you would have to supply a higher standard of living for those who do higher risk jobs. As soon as you start to give one person more than you completely break this Utopian idea.

This doesn't even account for medical care or other such systems which would also probably be tagged onto equal distribution.

I don't want to make a long debate out of this, as it was done with the last thread, but here's a quick response.

Automation technology, robotics, and AI improve in a relatively short amount of time. Humans are becoming less and less necessary for most the of positions in the industries. This trend shows no sign of letting up, and so we can only expect it to increase. The motto of capitalism (cheapest labor for the largest profit) only insures that technology will continue to be used to make expensive labor less and less necessary. That job is more than likely to be replaced by automation in the near future. Is it fair for goods and services to be equally distributed to a worker who has a high risk job and one that has a low risk job. I think most people would find that fair because 1. the worker can quit the job whenever he wants, and 2. in a commune, every role is considered to be as important as the next. Everyone plays their part. Greed, egoism, and selfishness are the only reasons why one man wants more goods and services than the next man.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Sat 23 May, 2009 12:54 am
@Bones-O,
Quote:
I don't want to make a long debate out of this, as it was done with the last thread, but here's a quick response.

Automation technology, robotics, and AI improve in a relatively short amount of time. Humans are becoming less and less necessary for most the of positions in the industries. This trend shows no sign of letting up, and so we can only expect it to increase. The motto of capitalism (cheapest labor for the largest profit) only insures that technology will continue to be used to make expensive labor less and less necessary. That job is more than likely to be replaced by automation in the near future. Is it fair for goods and services to be equally distributed to a worker who has a high risk job and one that has a low risk job. I think most people would find that fair because 1. the worker can quit the job whenever he wants, and 2. in a commune, every role is considered to be as important as the next. Everyone plays their part. Greed, egoism, and selfishness are the only reasons why one man wants more goods and services than the next man.

Okay, you stepped all over the point that it couldn't be automated. So reusing that will not help you at all. I'll give you this other little tid bit of info you can happily check out.

On board modern aircraft carriers they have to monitor the movements of the workers and the objects on the deck of the ship to make sure things don't get bound up or bottleneck.

Thinking that a computer system could make the job easier to manage they went ahead and designed software to monitor and track these movements. They came to discover that using the software was actually more problematic than using actual models. It was not the fault of the software, or the user, using the software but that the simple 3D model compared to a 2D screen was a loss in performance for the system. It actually lowered the data result for the person monitoring the movements.

I am an avid user of technology but there are cases when technology simply can not solve the problem or the use of the technology actually lessens the quality of the service.

Your whole response to the worker being allowed to quit is sort of a cop out. Because we could assume the same for any scenario. We are not talking specifically about the worker but the fact that there is a demand for said worker. The riskier the job, the more benefits one will adamantly demand from the work.

You are not going to get people to be happy about placing their life in danger for the same pay as a job where there is no risk or less risk. It just won't happen without due compensation for those risks, which is usually in the form of a higher wage.

But saying all that there is still other aspects that are being neglected. There are going to be jobs that simply can not be filled by automation. That will lead to certain individuals receiving less or required to do more than another. Hench a break down in the Utopian concept, that is unless it is forced labor. But I won't go into forced labor again...
hue-man

Reply Sat 23 May, 2009 08:41 am
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:
Okay, you stepped all over the point that it couldn't be automated. So reusing that will not help you at all. I'll give you this other little tid bit of info you can happily check out.

On board modern aircraft carriers they have to monitor the movements of the workers and the objects on the deck of the ship to make sure things don't get bound up or bottleneck.

Thinking that a computer system could make the job easier to manage they went ahead and designed software to monitor and track these movements. They came to discover that using the software was actually more problematic than using actual models. It was not the fault of the software, or the user, using the software but that the simple 3D model compared to a 2D screen was a loss in performance for the system. It actually lowered the data result for the person monitoring the movements.

I am an avid user of technology but there are cases when technology simply can not solve the problem or the use of the technology actually lessens the quality of the service.

Your whole response to the worker being allowed to quit is sort of a cop out. Because we could assume the same for any scenario. We are not talking specifically about the worker but the fact that there is a demand for said worker. The riskier the job, the more benefits one will adamantly demand from the work.

You are not going to get people to be happy about placing their life in danger for the same pay as a job where there is no risk or less risk. It just won't happen without due compensation for those risks, which is usually in the form of a higher wage.

But saying all that there is still other aspects that are being neglected. There are going to be jobs that simply can not be filled by automation. That will lead to certain individuals receiving less or required to do more than another. Hench a break down in the Utopian concept, that is unless it is forced labor. But I won't go into forced labor again...

I didn't step over the point that some things can't be automated right now. In fact, I basically acknowledged it by saying that technology improves, and automation, robotics, and AI is being improved by us everyday. I'm saying that eventually the vast majority of these jobs are more than likely to be filled by machines, causing unemployment and mass decreases in consumption. This debate is going on right now in the ethics of technology.

You know, whenever someone talks about improving society, you always have cynics like you that call it utopian as a way to belittle the idea. Tell me, what is utopian about this idea?

In regards to the worker demanding more benefits, you're assuming that in a classless, moneyless society, where goods and services are distributed equally and without limits, workers will demand that they get more goods and services than someone else. That assumption has no basis in anything other than selfishness and egoism. It's actually quite petty and reflective of the values of the monetary system and the economic inequality it induces. You're stating this assumption as if it's fact.
salima

Reply Sat 23 May, 2009 10:24 am
@hue-man,
hue-man wrote:
I didn't step over the point that some things can't be automated right now. In fact, I basically acknowledged it by saying that technology improves, and automation, robotics, and AI is being improved by us everyday. I'm saying that eventually the vast majority of these jobs are more than likely to be filled by machines, causing unemployment and mass decreases in consumption. This debate is going on right now in the ethics of technology.

You know, whenever someone talks about improving society, you always have cynics like you that call it utopian as a way to belittle the idea. Tell me, what is utopian about this idea?

In regards to the worker demanding more benefits, you're assuming that in a classless, moneyless society, where goods and services are distributed equally and without limits, workers will demand that they get more goods and services than someone else. That assumption has no basis in anything other than selfishness and egoism. It's actually quite petty and reflective of the values of the monetary system and the economic inequality it induces. You're stating this assumption as if it's fact.

i believe a utopian society IS possible, actually. i had a friend once who had a masters' degree in business and worked in an office with me, but she always talked about how she once worked in a stable-shoveling horse manure included-and that she hoped to be able to do that again some day.

no matter how horrible or disgusting or boring or risky you think a job is, there is someone who would love to be able to do that for his vocation. i always loved book keeping-what a nut. and my favorite part of working in an office was filing papers.

i dont know how to make it happen but i think it will, i think it is happening now. i dont know how to argue about it, only to hope for it and believe in it.
0 Replies

Bones-O

Reply Sat 23 May, 2009 11:48 am
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:

On this front, and in an attempt to inject a little on-topicness, it isn't necessary either to automate everything or force labour. As I said in the OP, people will work of their own volition as a course to increase their personal wealth, however that wealth is measured. Rejecting money or personal property is not a key tenet of anarchism in the broadest sense - only the rejection of the state unifies all anarchisms. If the best job available is in the sewers, someone will do it. One's person's crutch is another's advantage.

---------- Post added at 12:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 PM ----------

Anarchism is a great ideal political philosophy. It's certainly a good thing promote the ideal, not least because anything that hurts unthinking dogma (and we are unthinkingly dogmatic about democracy) is a good idea.

In practise, I believe anarchism is not feasible on these population density scales. Anarchism relies on the decision of the individual to be social or be isolationist, and since the former has much greater survival advantages, the former is chosen. It is the individual who creates the government.

This either/or cannot occur with modern population levels (by modern, I mean like the last thousand years). A single self-ruling nation is impossible and local self-ruling groups are open targets for exploitation by antisocial elements. Because the population is so dense, such elements never face an isolationist existence.

This prediction is what gave anarchy a bad name - it became synonymous with chaotic self-indulgence and exploitation via activities we associate with crime in our current society. Anarchy connotatively came to mean an orgy of crime, and anarchists had to change their name to anarchism to rid themselves of those connotations, but the fundamental problem hasn't gone away. Anarchism can only succeed in the absence of anonymity, and high population densities ensure some level of anonymity.

Reply Sat 23 May, 2009 01:07 pm
@Bones-O,
How can social contact, based upon emerging centralisation and growth of the state in the 17th century, remotely close to the very decentralised and anti-statist feudal system?
Bones-O

Reply Sat 23 May, 2009 02:10 pm
@avatar6v7,
How can social contact, based upon emerging centralisation and growth of the state in the 17th century, remotely close to the very decentralised and anti-statist feudal system?

Glad you asked.

First, a feudal system is not entirely decentralised, insofar as there still exists a central government - a monarch. Latterly the monarch was the head of the feudal system.

Second, the national infrastructure of the feudal system is that resources and their means of production are owned by some form of elite - the aristocracy. The aristrocracy owned the land and directly or indirectly on behalf of the aristocracy those who lived off it laboured it. This could be indirectly, e.g. on behalf directly of vassals. The fruits of those labours make their way up the hierarchy in the form of homage. The means of those labours made their way down the hierarchy in terms of grants.

But while the labour begins with the peasants, the grants end with the vassals. In this way the feudal system denies the peasant the means of self-provision - in order to live and get back access to food and shelter (at the discretion of the landowners), the peasant was obliged to labour for the vassal or directly for the aristocracy.

That is the key similarity - the removal of the means of self-provision from the individual into the state system, here the government and the feudal hierarchy.

The formal political system is irrelevant - a feudalism may be compatible with any number of types of central government.

Nowadays this basic principle still applies. The means of production are held by, for instance, the farmers, the banks and the corporations, as is the produce, again by the farmers and the corporations.

Still self-provision is criminalised - we cannot go and hunt a sheep, cut down a tree or otherwise build shelter in a field because all of these things are privately owned by a modern day aristocracy. We labour the land, albeit in a very different way where the land itself is rarely but a location, and once and only once this obligation is fulfilled we are given a wage which we hand back to the aristocracy in exchange the food and shelter that, naturally, we have equal right to.

Again the homages work their way up from til to HQ to IR, now called profit and taxes.

The system is still modelled on the feudalistic principle of owning production (obviously there are other, e.g. military, aspects of feudalism - I'm not comparing to those) and still works by the same coup - remove the possibility from the individual of providing for himself, thus forcing him to work, directly or indirectly, for the state.
hue-man

Reply Sat 23 May, 2009 02:22 pm
@Bones-O,
Bones-O! wrote:
On this front, and in an attempt to inject a little on-topicness, it isn't necessary either to automate everything or force labour. As I said in the OP, people will work of their own volition as a course to increase their personal wealth, however that wealth is measured. Rejecting money or personal property is not a key tenet of anarchism in the broadest sense - only the rejection of the state unifies all anarchisms. If the best job available is in the sewers, someone will do it. One's person's crutch is another's advantage.

---------- Post added at 12:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 PM ----------

Anarchism is a great ideal political philosophy. It's certainly a good thing promote the ideal, not least because anything that hurts unthinking dogma (and we are unthinkingly dogmatic about democracy) is a good idea.

In practise, I believe anarchism is not feasible on these population density scales. Anarchism relies on the decision of the individual to be social or be isolationist, and since the former has much greater survival advantages, the former is chosen. It is the individual who creates the government.

This either/or cannot occur with modern population levels (by modern, I mean like the last thousand years). A single self-ruling nation is impossible and local self-ruling groups are open targets for exploitation by antisocial elements. Because the population is so dense, such elements never face an isolationist existence.

This prediction is what gave anarchy a bad name - it became synonymous with chaotic self-indulgence and exploitation via activities we associate with crime in our current society. Anarchy connotatively came to mean an orgy of crime, and anarchists had to change their name to anarchism to rid themselves of those connotations, but the fundamental problem hasn't gone away. Anarchism can only succeed in the absence of anonymity, and high population densities ensure some level of anonymity.

I don't believe that anarchism or self-government is unfeasible. I believe that we've been brainwashed into believing that it's unfeasible. I do, however, agree that it wouldn't work in the current economic system we have because of the crime that this current system generates. I believe that anarchism can only work in a society that doesn't run on monetary exchange for goods and services, and where goods and services are distributed equally by the community itself.
xris

Reply Sat 23 May, 2009 02:22 pm
@Bones-O,
Desire, desire for a better way drives us to examine alternative societies, the problem is we cant change society in revolutionary ways like it may have been possible in the late 19c and early 20c.Gradual progressive realisations of our limitations by the current mode of state control may bring a modification if both sides accept their need to change.Mass unrest would lead to unimaginable suffering,we must learn to adapt rather than throw Molotov's at our repressive democracies.
0 Replies

Bones-O

Reply Sat 23 May, 2009 02:32 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man wrote:
I don't believe that anarchism or self-government is unfeasible. I believe that we've been brainwashed into believing that it's unfeasible. I do, however, agree that it wouldn't work in the current economic system we have because of the crime that this current system generates. I believe that anarchism can only work in a society that doesn't run on monetary exchange for goods and services, and where goods and services are distributed equally by the community itself.

I think this ignores the fact that the success of the original anarchisms - early socal groups - was in survival advantage over antisocial or non-social activity. Social groups were small (not anonymous) and widely spread. A freeloader exploiting one group would be rejected by that group, leaving the freeloader isolated. Even if the freeloader happened upon another social group, they wouldn't likely accept him because they didn't recognise him as part of that group - he would be seen as a competitor only.

This cannot work with present day population levels. The social groups are too large and too close together, allowing a freeloader to run a savage burn on one group and move on to the next. The social groups would naturally become the exploited masses of a new burdgeoning elite to their own detriment.

This isn't being blinded by the current system - it's a simple description of how people behave. I've thought long and hard about the feasibility of anarchism because I do believe, in principle, it is the more just method of government. But anarchism relies on providing a survival advantage to social behaviour. Anarchism in today's population levels would provide a massive survival advantage in choosing antisocial behaviour.

---------- Post added at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 PM ----------

xris wrote:
Desire, desire for a better way drives us to examine alternative societies, the problem is we cant change society in revolutionary ways like it may have been possible in the late 19c and early 20c.Gradual progressive realisations of our limitations by the current mode of state control may bring a modification if both sides accept their need to change.Mass unrest would lead to unimaginable suffering,we must learn to adapt rather than throw Molotov's at our repressive democracies.

Too true, and now more than ever. It is literally impossible for the people to revolt against their government now. How could revolutionaries communicate? Messenger pigeon?
hue-man

Reply Sat 23 May, 2009 03:28 pm
@Bones-O,
Bones-O! wrote:
I think this ignores the fact that the success of the original anarchisms - early socal groups - was in survival advantage over antisocial or non-social activity. Social groups were small (not anonymous) and widely spread. A freeloader exploiting one group would be rejected by that group, leaving the freeloader isolated. Even if the freeloader happened upon another social group, they wouldn't likely accept him because they didn't recognise him as part of that group - he would be seen as a competitor only.

This cannot work with present day population levels. The social groups are too large and too close together, allowing a freeloader to run a savage burn on one group and move on to the next. The social groups would naturally become the exploited masses of a new burdgeoning elite to their own detriment.

This isn't being blinded by the current system - it's a simple description of how people behave. I've thought long and hard about the feasibility of anarchism because I do believe, in principle, it is the more just method of government. But anarchism relies on providing a survival advantage to social behaviour. Anarchism in today's population levels would provide a massive survival advantage in choosing antisocial behaviour.

When you say freeloader, what exactly do you mean? Are you saying that humans will be anti-social without the existence of a state or central authority? Doesn't that contradict the highly social element of human nature? Also, the community could still exile individuals who do not uphold the ethics of the community. Preventative measures, like education and community reinforcement, can be very effective in preventing corrosive behavior. Punishment can still be enforced by exile or self-defense, and rehabilitation for corrosive behavior, while encouraged by the community, can still be voluntary like the rehabilitation of drug addicts.

In reference to your original post; are you saying that the state should provide goods and services in light of the unfair demands that it forces on the individual? Is this not statist-communism?
Bones-O

Reply Sat 23 May, 2009 03:46 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man wrote:
When you say freeloader, what exactly do you mean?

The freeloader is the biggest threat to a self-governing group: the individual who takes what he can and gives nothing back. Like a pirate. Smile

hue-man wrote:
Are you saying that humans will be anti-social without the existence of a state or central authority?

No, like I said, naturally forming self-governing social groups encourage social behaviour, so long as the options are either join in or fend for yourself.

hue-man wrote:

Doesn't that contradict the highly social element of human nature? Also, the community could still exile individuals who do not uphold the ethics of the community.

The highly social element of human nature is the recognition than it's advantageous to work together than work alone. BTW I'm not saying all individuals will tend toward antisocial behaviour, simply that, in a population of our magnitude, there will be many antisocial elements. It stands to reason: if there's a resource, someone will exploit it. Dense anarchic groups are a resource.

As for exile, dense populations are more anonynous - we cannot account for everybody. We may exile one freeloader who will just move into another group, while accepting another freeloader exiled from another group. Because the population density is so large and groups so close together, we cannot form small enough and disparate enough groups that may self-govern - the competition is simply too high.

hue-man wrote:
Preventative measures, like education and community reinforcement, can be very effective in preventing corrosive behavior. Punishment can still be enforced by exile or self-defense, and rehabilitation for corrosive behavior, while encouraged by the community, can still be voluntary like the rehabilitation of drug addicts.

But you recognised yourself that the criminals reflect the society. You can teach a child that it's better for them to behave a certain way in society because they have no choice (well, the other choice is prison). Anarchism presents a choice: isolationism, and populous, dense social groups make that option very attractive.

hue-man wrote:
In reference to your original post; are you saying that the state should provide goods and services in light of the unfair demands that it forces on the individual? Is this not statist-communism?

Yes. Minimum dietary requirements met and reasonable housing and clothing provided for every individual irrespective of their contribution to society. Employment should not be a survival concern. It's the only just approach.

But this is not to say that all goods and services should be provided free - simply basic human needs the right to which the state has robbed from the individual. Above our minimum requirements, we may purchase food, confectionary, clothes, cars, toys, books, whatever in the fashion of our favoured capitalist democracy. And people will spend. People have been shown to spend money they don't even have on things they don't need to survive. It goes without saying the economy is vouchsafed even when people don't need to spend to survive.
hue-man

Reply Sat 23 May, 2009 04:36 pm
@Bones-O,
Bones-O! wrote:
The freeloader is the biggest threat to a self-governing group: the individual who takes what he can and gives nothing back. Like a pirate. Smile

So you're saying that people will steal the goods of the anarchistic society? Why would they steel if the goods were provided for free? It would be impossible to steal the goods if you're a part of the community because the resources belong to everyone within the community.

Bones-O! wrote:
No, like I said, naturally forming self-governing social groups encourage social behaviour, so long as the options are either join in or fend for yourself.

I'm confused. So now you're saying anarchistic self-government would work if it provides those two options?

Bones-O! wrote:
The highly social element of human nature is the recognition than it's advantageous to work together than work alone. BTW I'm not saying all individuals will tend toward antisocial behaviour, simply that, in a population of our magnitude, there will be many antisocial elements. It stands to reason: if there's a resource, someone will exploit it. Dense anarchic groups are a resource.

So some people will be anti-social for the sake of being anti-social? Why would they exploit a resource if there's no value in exploiting the resource? Are you saying that groups will form outside of the anarchistic governments and will become pirates? That would seem to be counter productive to the person who wishes to exploit the resources of the anarchistic communities, as it would make it harder for them to survive, and the anarchistic communities would defense themselves at all costs. The odds and benefits are against him no matter which way you look at it. Pirates do what they do for the same reason all economic criminals (crimes for profit or related to goods) do what they do. Pirates and all thieves rob and steal because goods and services are not distributed equally. The goods produced by the resources will be provided to everyone free of charge and without limits.

Bones-O! wrote:
As for exile, dense populations are more anonynous - we cannot account for everybody. We may exile one freeloader who will just move into another group, while accepting another freeloader exiled from another group. Because the population density is so large and groups so close together, we cannot form small enough and disparate enough groups that may self-govern - the competition is simply too high.

Can you use a more specific term than freeloader, like pirate or thief if that's what you mean? The anarchistic communities can be federated on an international level, making it impossible for the pirate to hide without a notice being sent to every community within the federation. If the thief is anonymous, then there is always defense of the resources. Then again, I don't know if there would be a such thing as a thief if that person is a part of the community. The goods produced by the resources are as much his property as anyone else within the community. If it's a person who has isolated themselves for some senseless reason, then the anarchistic communities will have to defend themselves against pirates.

Bones-O! wrote:
Yes. Minimum dietary requirements met and reasonable housing and clothing provided for every individual irrespective of their contribution to society. Employment should not be a survival concern. It's the only just approach.

But this is not to say that all goods and services should be provided free - simply basic human needs the right to which the state has robbed from the individual. Above our minimum requirements, we may purchase food, confectionary, clothes, cars, toys, books, whatever in the fashion of our favoured capitalist democracy. And people will spend. People have been shown to spend money they don't even have on things they don't need to survive. It goes without saying the economy is vouchsafed even when people don't need to spend to survive.

Are you insisting that we maintain the monetary system or that we discard it. This is very important because you're talking about the state providing goods free of charge. If you favor keeping the monetary system, then how would the state be able to afford this welfare system? Wouldn't you need to highly tax the wealthiest to give to those of lower classes? That's more like socialism, the dictatorship of the proletariat.
Bones-O

Reply Sat 23 May, 2009 05:19 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man wrote:
So you're saying that people will steal the goods of the anarchistic society? Why would they steel if the goods were provided for free? It would be impossible to steal the goods if you're a part of the community because the resources belong to everyone within the community.

It wouldn't be stealing per se, simply exploiting. The group relies on contributions from its members. If a member doesn't contribute but uses resources, that group's survival as a whole is comprimised since it is consuming more than it produces. The necessary result is to expel the freeloader. This threat of expulsion is what keeps people from freeloading. However if groups are large enough that a person may retain some level of anonymity, and close together enough such that a freeloader may conceivably attach itself to another group, the survival advantage of the freeloader is, overall, enhanced over that of the group contributor.

hue-man wrote:
I'm confused. So now you're saying anarchistic self-government would work if it provides those two options?

If it provides them and makes social behaviour more attractive than antisocial behaviour. In natural anarchic groups (small, widely separated), this attraction is overwhelming. But in large anarchic groups that are close together, it isn't.

hue-man wrote:
So some people will be anti-social for the sake of being anti-social?

No - many people will be antisocial for the sake of advantage. Work less and yet have more is the goal of many.

hue-man wrote:

Why would they exploit a resource if there's no value in exploiting the resource? Are you saying that groups will form outside of the anarchistic governments and will become pirates?

No, within. The pirate reference was to Pirates of the Caribbean from which I stole the phrase "Take what you can, give nothing back". Just a gag. See above for how antisocials would naturally arise within a group.

hue-man wrote:
That would seem to be counter productive to the person who wishes to exploit the resources of the anarchistic communities, as it would make it harder for them to survive, and the anarchistic communities would defense themselves at all costs. The odds and benefits are against him no matter which way you look at it.

Yes, the group will suffer and yes the group will exile him, but there are too many groups for his resources to end and the groups are too large to identify such antisocials. The only downside is if the group decides to kill him. But first they gotta catch him, another downside of large groups preserving degrees of anonymity.

hue-man wrote:
Pirates do what they do for the same reason all economic criminals (crimes for profit or related to goods) do what they do. Pirates and all thieves rob and steal because goods and services are not distributed equally. The goods produced by the resources will be provided to everyone free of charge and without limits.

Robin Hood steals because goods are not distributed equally. Pirates steal because the good weren't distributed to them. Economic crime has shown no signs of fair play - the poor who depend on credit cards are the biggest victims of credit card fraud.

hue-man wrote:
Can you use a more specific term than freeloader, like pirate or thief if that's what you mean?

Freeloader is the specific term in such a situation. It's someone who enjoys the benefits of a society's labour without contributing to it.

hue-man wrote:
The anarchistic communities can be federated on an international level, making it impossible for the pirate to hide without a notice being sent to every community within the federation. If the thief is anonymous, then there is always defense of the resources.

An anarchic co-operative is a nice idea. I wonder how far we can push it before it tends toward centralisation.

hue-man wrote:
Then again, I don't know if there would be a such thing as a thief if that person is a part of the community. The goods produced by the resources are as much his property as anyone else within the community. If it's a person who has isolated themselves for some senseless reason, then the anarchistic communities will have to defend themselves against pirates.

If a social group produces goods available freely to all, someone will emerge to take as much as they can without contributing. Enough of that will spell the end of the group. That's why I use the term freeloader rather than thief or pirate.

hue-man wrote:

Are you insisting that we maintain the monetary system or that we discard it. This is very important because you're talking about the state providing goods free of charge.

We can maintain it. The state isn't providing goods free of charge: it is providing them in payment for the land, produce and right to both that is no more one person's than another's. That's not free.

hue-man wrote:
If you favor keeping the monetary system, then how would the state be able to afford this welfare system? Wouldn't you need to highly tax the wealthiest to give to those of lower classes? That's more like socialism, the dictatorship of the proletariat.

A welfare system protects the accidentally disadvantaged: the physically and mentally incapacitated, the unsupported dependents, etc. I'm not proposing a welfare system, I'm proposing that every citizen has basic dietary, housing and clothing requirements met in payment for the loss of their right to self-provide. The monetary system, as I've said already, is vouchsafed: people will work for personal wealth above these basic survival requirements. You try and stop them. In fact, almost nothing would change except the state would lose a certain stranglehold it should never have possessed.

By the way, I'm not advocating capitalist democracy either. This initiative could work on any platform. A study of the pros and cons of each political philosophy is not necessary. I apologise if I gave the impression of championing anarchism. That was not my intention.

My position is solely this: If the state system does not allow its members to provide directly for themselves without first fulfilling obligations to others, it is encumbant upon the state to meet basic necessary survival needs of its members.
xris

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 03:13 pm
@Bones-O,
These groups that form under an anarchy how do they relate to each other? how do we insure the weakest survive this system? I have been here before asking these questions and ive never been convinced.The nearest system we have ever seen is the tribalism we experienced in Britain before it was united by a sovereign.It did not appear very good for the smaller tribes and might was the operative word.I can understand the desire for a more effective and just society but in my opinion anarchy would favour the strong against the feeble and less capable members who are now treated with understanding.
I'm am a moderate socialist who still thinks with good will and stricter corporate regulations we could have a fair and just society.Revolution creates monsters who abuse the weakness in society when revolt occurs.Any of these proposals would need revolt, no system collapses and is replaced with another without extreme action.Humanity must take small but significant steps ,judging each step by the result and adjusting if necessary.