is Phenotype All ?

memester

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 10:00 pm
@Aedes,
Hey Paul..how long does it take for a thesis to pass muster ?

It's been a while and I wonder if the judge paid attention to the major fault i pointed out to him. I mean, he asked me what's up with the genus.
so I'm curious, it's been 6 months and not a peep.

See, they know cladistics, but they don't know the critter. I think I shocked him with a supplier for a different critter, one that he thought was extinct. :{

I may have been a bit harsh, regarding the fault, and I'm not getting communications. They're a family almost..in fact some of them literally are family.
memester

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 10:27 am
@memester,
Hey Paul..I heard a lecture ( trying to recall accurately) in which the prof stated that of all the reviewed Psych literature published, something like 75% of it has a colon or semi-colon in the title, and of those without, only 5 % get published ? First comes the sexy bit, then the explanatory boring bit.
He suggested that perhaps an odd kind of filtering was going on
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 10:44 am
@memester,
Interesting -- though I wonder if it's much different than other kinds of publications.

You can search PubMed for free, so you can do a search for various psych topics to see. (You're not going to have electronic access to the full article though without an institutional subscription)
memester

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 12:46 pm
@Aedes,
He was a Psych, so that's why he looked at Psych literature. I'd guess it's probably endemic, but he noted that in the past, it wasn't so.
So without drawing conclusions, he just thought it [Edit]might be[End Edit] advisable for anyone writing a paper to use that information - just in case it was subconscious filtering by judges.
0 Replies

BrightNoon

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 01:03 pm
@memester,
memester;69043 wrote:
Definitions of "phenotype" are usually shown in contrast to "genotype".
Most often some kind of equation is given, showing phenotype resulting from genotype and environment, and perhaps, "random variation".

The definition given almost always says phenotype is the observable trait(s) of an organism.
My question is this; as we are able to observe more, we are able to observe the genes.
So how is it that the genotype is never thought of as part of a possible phenotype ?

Thanks !

It would seem to me that phenotype is everything, everything of consequence with regard to the organisms behavior, relations with the world, etc. It includes genotype and the environemntal influences under which genetic potential developed. Genotype is a much more easily quantifiable sort of description, and so perhaps more useful for the purpose of categorization.
0 Replies

memester

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 09:46 pm
@gregulus,
gregulus;69542 wrote:

Edit: To be more clear about epigenetics, the environmental impact doesn't directly effect the expression of genes. Rather, the environmental stimulation influences other cellular mechanisms that then regulate the gene.
I don't think this is quite correct, gregulus. I'll have to look about, but my bet is that both what you mention - that is: that indirect environmental influence takes place- and that also direct action from environmental chemicals or other, takes place.

And produces epigenetic changes.
Edited for comprehensibility and coherency and civility :perplexed:
Aedes

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 09:53 pm
@memester,
memester;70239 wrote:
I don't think this is quite correct, either, gregulous. I'll have to look about, but my bet is that both what you mention, takes place, and direct action from environmental chemicals and possibly more...take place to produce epigenetic changes.
I agree with you. It may be a number of steps removed, but there is ABSOLUTELY an environmental effect on gene expression.

Many organisms require two different hosts to complete their life cycle, including such major human pathogens as malaria (mosquitos and humans), schistosomiasis (snails and humans), and echinococcus (dogs and sheep -- and on occasion humans). The recognition of the new host causes major developmental changes in the organism that require alterations in gene expression.

And there are countless examples.

When days start getting shorter, female mosquitos respond to a very specific daylight trigger by altering gene expression and going into an overwintering state called diapause. Some colleagues of mine do research on this.

Stressed bacilli (from thermal or chemical stressors) form spores, again requiring altered gene expression...

Even the leaves turning red in the fall, and bears hibernating in the winter, are direct examples of environmental signals stimulating altered gene expression.
0 Replies

memester

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 09:53 am
@Aedes,
Aedes;70118 wrote:
Interesting -- though I wonder if it's much different than other kinds of publications.

You can search PubMed for free, so you can do a search for various psych topics to see. (You're not going to have electronic access to the full article though without an institutional subscription)
One postulation that he offered was that smart contemporary writers use smart language, to hold interest, and that use of the colon or semicolon might not be the cause of acceptance or rejection, rather the tendency to approve of smart contemporary writing might have been a cause.

Either way, I suppose it's good enough reason to align yourself with that group; write in smart contemporary fashion - and put that semi- colon or colon in there; sexy/explanatory.
Aedes

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 10:47 am
@memester,
memester;70348 wrote:
One postulation that he offered was that smart contemporary writers use smart language, to hold interest, and that use of the colon or semicolon might not be the cause of acceptance or rejection, rather the tendency to approve of smart contemporary writing might have been a cause.
You can see the table of contents online from various publications like the American Journal of Psychiatry. Not a ton of colons and semicolons on a quick glance.

Quote:
Either way, I suppose it's good enough reason to align yourself with that group; write in smart contemporary fashion - and put that semi- colon or colon in there; sexy/explanatory.
I think it's less common in my subspecialty -- one wonders if it would cause harm. The editors put a colon in the title of an article I wrote once and added an insipid subtitle. I've been biased ever since.
memester

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 11:52 am
@Aedes,
Aedes;70358 wrote:
You can see the table of contents online from various publications like the American Journal of Psychiatry. Not a ton of colons and semicolons on a quick glance.

I think it's less common in my subspecialty -- one wonders if it would cause harm. The editors put a colon in the title of an article I wrote once and added an insipid subtitle. I've been biased ever since.
oops..psychology

not only are recognized Journals included, but all things published by recognized Publishers; books, magazines, articles, papers and so on were. So I might have misled myself for a second in conflating papers with publications. But they were reviewed for acceptance by judges.

A quick glance at American Journal of Psychology shows quite a number, in the journal and in the references, but not nearly 75%, and I should mention that the study he did, was for 2003.

Contents | Vol. 121 No. 4 | American Journal of Psychology

glancing through 1983 of that Journal, and being on this subject here, this colonated specimen caught my attention immediately
American Journal of Psychology | Vol. 116 No. 2| DAVID F. BJORKLUND : David S. Moore, The Dependent Gene: The Fallacy of "Nature vs. Nurture."

because it's hard to say which discipline the article is in.
And "perfect knowledge" sounds a bit much, but this was published.
the quick glance at this journal shows fewer than 50 % semi or colonized titles, I'd say. You wouldn't expect not to see some. I'm not sure that let's say 30 % having colon in title is even significant. After all, we get pretty close to 100 % with periods in the title.
So unless I saw something else by accident sometime, I wouldn't investigate further.

but I bet it pays to not use exclamation marks !
0 Replies

gregulus

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 08:07 pm
@memester,
memester;70239 wrote:
I don't think this is quite correct, gregulus. I'll have to look about, but my bet is that both what you mention - that is: that indirect environmental influence takes place- and that also direct action from environmental chemicals or other, takes place.

And produces epigenetic changes.
Edited for comprehensibility and coherency and civility :perplexed:

I don't know. Perhaps you are right. Epigenetics, though, to my understanding, refers to gene regulation without changing the underlying nucleotide sequence of the gene. I don't know that a gene can be turned on or off without complex mechanisms being involved that don't alter the genetic sequence of the genome. Sure environmental chemicals, carcinogens, etc. can induce mutations in the gene that induce a change in phenotype, but that's not really want epigenetics is about, as it changes the underlying DNA sequence of the gene.

Just to be perfectly clear, as the role that I'm placing on the environment has been misinterpreted in this thread previously, I am not downplaying the role on the environment in gene regulation. I am simply skeptical of a direct influence from the environment that can alter gene expression without inducing some sort of mechanistic response.
Aedes

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 08:21 pm
@gregulus,
gregulus;70484 wrote:
Epigenetics, though, to my understanding, refers to gene regulation without changing the underlying nucleotide sequence of the gene. I don't know that a gene can be turned on or off without complex mechanisms being involved that don't alter the genetic sequence of the genome.
Epigenetics specifically does turn genes on and off without modifying the nucleotide sequence. Things like histone acetylation (common in eukaryotes) and DNA methylation (common in prokaryotes) will cause covalent bonds to either histones or DNA itself without altering the sequence.

gregulus;70484 wrote:
I am simply skeptical of a direct influence from the environment that can alter gene expression without inducing some sort of mechanistic response.
Again, there are intermediate steps -- but the leaves wouldn't change color in the fall if environmental triggers did not alter gene expression.
gregulus

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 08:48 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;70485 wrote:
Epigenetics specifically does turn genes on and off without modifying the nucleotide sequence. Things like histone acetylation (common in eukaryotes) and DNA methylation (common in prokaryotes) will cause covalent bonds to either histones or DNA itself without altering the sequence.

Yes. That's what I was trying to get it. Sorry if I was unclear.

Quote:
Again, there are intermediate steps -- but the leaves wouldn't change color in the fall if environmental triggers did not alter gene expression.

Right. I wouldn't call that a direct influence, i.e. the environmental triggers themselves don't directly cause the phenotypic change. The change is caused by molecular mechanisms. These molecular mechanisms may very well be triggered by environmental changes, though.

I don't want to seem like I'm downplaying the role of the environment in gene expression. I feel like my posts are being construed as such.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 08:55 pm
@memester,
If you're playing billiards and you sink the 8 ball, you can still take credit for it even though it was the cue ball that hit the 8, and it was the stick that hit the cue ball.

Organisms have evolved to be responsive to their environment -- because they have to be. There may be intermediate messengers and processes to transmit the environmental signal to the genes in question, but that's just the solution to the problem. Like in billiards, there are rules.
gregulus

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 09:08 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;70499 wrote:
If you're playing billiards and you sink the 8 ball, you can still take credit for it even though it was the cue ball that hit the 8, and it was the stick that hit the cue ball.

Organisms have evolved to be responsive to their environment -- because they have to be. There may be intermediate messengers and processes to transmit the environmental signal to the genes in question, but that's just the solution to the problem. Like in billiards, there are rules.

I'm not denying this at all. I was referring to a direct influence. I'm not denying the rather significant influence the environment has on gene expression. I'm saying that a methane molecule won't enter the cell and methylate a gene on its own, for example.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 09:18 pm
@memester,
All right, well if you're going to be so exacting about direct influences, then you could just as easily say that your stomach doesn't directly break down food because it's actually the enzymes it secretes that are doing it.

What's important in this conversation is that the point be understood that our genome's activity and regulation is modulated by environmental factors.
gregulus

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 09:34 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;70510 wrote:

What's important in this conversation is that the point be understood that our genome's activity and regulation is modulated by environmental factors.

Yes. I took memester's argument to be one supporting what I was referring to as a direct influence. If that was not his argument, then my apologies for misreading.
memester

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 10:10 pm
@gregulus,
gregulus;70514 wrote:
Yes. I took memester's argument to be one supporting what I was referring to as a direct influence. If that was not his argument, then my apologies for misreading.
That is what I was going to look for; direct influence.
but I'm only looking to refute your quoted clarification, not all subsequent modification of it, as one of the modifications has a "hedge" built into it, of unknown height.

I already sense a problem because you use the term "gene regulation" , moving away from "gene expression", in a field where "regulation" has a very specific meaning, usually, and I see you moving freely, equating the two.
The challenge is to show change in gene expression without change in DNA sequence, was it not ?
gregulus

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 10:40 pm
@memester,
memester;70527 wrote:
That is what I was going to look for; direct influence.
but I'm only looking to refute your quoted clarification, not all subsequent modification of it, as one of the modifications has a "hedge" built into it, of unknown height.

I already sense a problem because you use the term "gene regulation" , moving away from "gene expression", in a field where "regulation" has a very specific meaning, usually, and I see you moving freely, equating the two.

I think you're putting far too much emphasis on semantics here. What is being discussed here is the regulation of gene expression. You and I both know this, and it is clear what my argument is. Your emphasis on diction is bordering on being a red herring, or if that is too strong, at least a ignoratio elenchi fallacy.

Quote:
The challenge is to show change in gene expression without change in DNA sequence, was it not ?

No. It has been established that the regulation of gene expressions without a change in the underlying DNA sequence of a gene is, by definition, what epigenetics is. The challenge was to show how the environment can directly influence such regulation. A direct influence, as I am defining it, is an influence that does not travel through any intermediate steps. The environment is known to stimulate certain cellular mechanisms controlling the regulation of gene expression, but it is not clear how the environment can directly cause such regulation, e.g. a methane molecule entering the cell from the environment and methylating the gene without any sort of assistance.

To make sure I'm clear, a direct influence should be seen as follows:
A ---> B, where A is the cause (environmental stimulation) and B is the effect (regulation of gene expression).

An indirect influence would be:
A ---> B ---> C, where A is the cause (environmental stimulation), B is some intermediate mechanism stimulated by A and C is the regulation of gene expression.
memester

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 10:45 pm
@gregulus,
gregulus;70528 wrote:
I think you're putting far too much emphasis on semantics here.
I think you're putting not enough, though ! :perplexed:

Quote:

What is being discussed here is the regulation of gene expression.
Not in the classical sense. What was being discussed, literally, is "gene expression".
Do you now have a problem with "gene expression"?

I tend to resist change in terms without showing need or showing justification for the change. It leads to equivocation error.

So you either must stick with your own term, "gene expression", or hop over to the "Abstract Gene Concept", where your concerned elements are included ! I thank Mr. Dawkins.
Useful, eh ?
Quote:

You and I both know this, and it is clear what my argument is. Your emphasis on diction is bordering on being a red herring, or if that is too strong, at least a ignoratio elenchi fallacy.
Then may I be so bold as to suggest that we co-operatively avoid that fishy stench, by having you stick by your words !
0 Replies