is Phenotype All ?

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2009 02:56 am
Definitions of "phenotype" are usually shown in contrast to "genotype".
Most often some kind of equation is given, showing phenotype resulting from genotype and environment, and perhaps, "random variation".

The definition given almost always says phenotype is the observable trait(s) of an organism.
My question is this; as we are able to observe more, we are able to observe the genes.
So how is it that the genotype is never thought of as part of a possible phenotype ?

Thanks !
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,714 • Replies: 98
No top replies

gregulus

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2009 01:23 pm
@memester,
memester;69043 wrote:
Definitions of "phenotype" are usually shown in contrast to "genotype".
Most often some kind of equation is given, showing phenotype resulting from genotype and environment, and perhaps, "random variation".

The definition given almost always says phenotype is the observable trait(s) of an organism.
My question is this; as we are able to observe more, we are able to observe the genes.
So how is it that the genotype is never thought of as part of a possible phenotype ?

Thanks !

Because the phenotype of an organism is a consequence of the particular genotype the organism has (and in some regards environmental and developmental conditions). It seems circular to consider genotype as part of the overall phenotype of an organism.
memester

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2009 08:28 pm
@gregulus,
gregulus;69188 wrote:
Because the phenotype of an organism is a consequence of the particular genotype the organism has (and in some regards environmental and developmental conditions). It seems circular to consider genotype as part of the overall phenotype of an organism.

This is my puzzle.
It seems not the case, that phenotype is necessarily a consequence of genetics. If proceeding in enquiry rather than asserting knowledge, one can find, for instance, that adult humans may have a "tanned" or "untanned" phenotype...under the bikini line.
The difference between phenotype "tanned" and phenotype "untanned", is due solely to an environmental influence, namely UV exposure.
To argue that we need the genetics to produce melanin produces no helpful results of investigation. We would need to assume, or we need to know the genetics, before we can investigate.

If, for instance, we observe that in areas that receive no sun, there is no tan, one might experiment, and add sunlight...and then see a phenotypic change as a result. Voila, the difference between phenotype "tanned" and phenotype "untanned", is due solely to an environmental influence, namely UV exposure.

To argue that we need the ability to produce melanin in the first place leads nowhere. cancels out any possible gain from enquiry, and replaces it with "knowledge" that is not true.

If we were to look at a population , some of which had only 4 digits on the hand, we could assume the difference is a consequence of genetics, but it may be a consequence of injury...so assumption that genetics is the cause of the difference is not helpful.

It brings us to asserting that the phenotypic difference between "tanned" and "untanned" is a consequence of "genetics".
Whereas, the phenotypic difference is solely due to environmental difference.
Phenotype "tanned" is not encoded for.

So that's where I'm stuck; although phenotype may be - but is not always - a consequence of genotype, genotype must always be a possible phenotype.
Therefore, Phenotype can be Phenotype plus environmental influence.

It seems as though the above statement must be wrong. But why is it wrong ?
What I am guessing at is that the first "Phenotype" ( tanned) is not the same as the second "Phenotype" ( tan-able ).

Help ! :bigsmile:
When it comes to people with Phenotype "4 digits per hand", (after having a finger cut off both hands ), is the second kind of Phenotype, "Phenotype 'fingers cut off-able' " ?
gregulus

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 07:07 pm
@memester,
memester;69291 wrote:
This is my puzzle.
It seems not the case, that phenotype is necessarily a consequence of genetics. If proceeding in enquiry rather than asserting knowledge, one can find, for instance, that adult humans may have a "tanned" or "untanned" phenotype...under the bikini line.
The difference between phenotype "tanned" and phenotype "untanned", is due solely to an environmental influence, namely UV exposure.
To argue that we need the genetics to produce melanin produces no helpful results of investigation. We would need to assume, or we need to know the genetics, before we can investigate.

If, for instance, we observe that in areas that receive no sun, there is no tan, one might experiment, and add sunlight...and then see a phenotypic change as a result. Voila, the difference between phenotype "tanned" and phenotype "untanned", is due solely to an environmental influence, namely UV exposure.

To argue that we need the ability to produce melanin in the first place leads nowhere. cancels out any possible gain from enquiry, and replaces it with "knowledge" that is not true.

If we were to look at a population , some of which had only 4 digits on the hand, we could assume the difference is a consequence of genetics, but it may be a consequence of injury...so assumption that genetics is the cause of the difference is not helpful.

It brings us to asserting that the phenotypic difference between "tanned" and "untanned" is a consequence of "genetics".
Whereas, the phenotypic difference is solely due to environmental difference.
Phenotype "tanned" is not encoded for.

So that's where I'm stuck; although phenotype may be - but is not always - a consequence of genotype, genotype must always be a possible phenotype.
Therefore, Phenotype can be Phenotype plus environmental influence.

It seems as though the above statement must be wrong. But why is it wrong ?
What I am guessing at is that the first "Phenotype" ( tanned) is not the same as the second "Phenotype" ( tan-able ).

Help ! :bigsmile:
When it comes to people with Phenotype "4 digits per hand", (after having a finger cut off both hands ), is the second kind of Phenotype, "Phenotype 'fingers cut off-able' " ?

Phenotype is still a consequence of genetics. A phenotype is not necessarily observable to ordinary human senses. The effect of a gene may only be molecular, but it should still (and is) considered to be a phenotype.

Also, I'm not sure that I would call tanning a phenotype, as it would be similar to calling something like a hair style a phenotype. Certainly I would call natural skin pigmentation a phenotype, but that's not the same thing as tanning and certainly isn't due solely to environmental conditions.
Aedes

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 07:35 pm
@gregulus,
gregulus;69188 wrote:
Indeed, although gene regulation is a phenotype unto itself, and it determines how your genes are actually expressed. So the distinction is blurrier.
0 Replies

memester

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 08:27 pm
@gregulus,
gregulus;69511 wrote:
Phenotype is still a consequence of genetics.
Can be but is not always. Often is not.
Quote:

A phenotype is not necessarily observable to ordinary human senses. The effect of a gene may only be molecular, but it should still (and is) considered to be a phenotype.
of course !

Quote:
Also, I'm not sure that I would call tanning a phenotype, as it would be similar to calling something like a hair style a phenotype.
exactly.If I dye my hair blue, it's a phenotype..and the investigator does not need to know before investigating whether I dyed my hair or if it's a genetic trait or a result of a peculiar disease. He only has to identify the phenotypic difference in order to start investigating the cause. So Phenotype "blue hair" is legit. Of course, I need to have hair, and it needs to be able to hold dye... just as the dye needs to have certain attributes...but those aren't particulars that the investigation needs to know aforehand.

Quote:
Certainly I would call natural skin pigmentation a phenotype, but that's not the same thing as tanning and certainly isn't due solely to environmental conditions.
right, it's not due solely to environmental influence on that individual. It's a genetic trait; encoded for.

If you think "tanned" is not a phenotype, why not? Isn't phenotype "pink" in pink flamingos ( solely a result of pigment in feed) a phenotype..although it's not encoded for ?

these public educator guys think so
Evolution 101: Genotype versus Phenotype

---------- Post added at 10:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 PM ----------

Aedes;69519 wrote:
Indeed, although gene regulation is a phenotype unto itself, and it determines how your genes are actually expressed. So the distinction is blurrier.
These days regulation is included in "genetics", I'd say.
In fact, Dawkins defines the gene as basically "anything that does what I'm talking about " Smile

Here's an interesting link showing how different specialties treat the word differently.Sandwalk: The Richard Dawkins Definition of a Gene Is Seriously Flawed

we can get into Gene-funtional or Gene-philosophical and Gene -developmental.

---------- Post added at 10:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 PM ----------

gregulus;69511 wrote:
Phenotype is still a consequence of genetics.
'Epigenetics' Means What We Eat, How We Live And Love, Alters How Our Genes Behave

research into epigenetics
NOVA | scienceNOW | Epigenetics | PBS

the circumstances your grandparents faced... can affect your longevity

I think it's useful to look to difference between phenotypes to see how not all differences in phenotype are a consequence of genetics. e.g. the difference between phenotypes in flamingos; all of a brood are born white...feed half of the brood pigment feed and feed half of the brood pigment-free feed, and you see a phenotypic difference...environmental influence made the difference.
gregulus

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 11:07 pm
@memester,
Aedes;69519 wrote:

But gene regulation is a result of complex interaction between various molecular structures (chiefly proteins, but not solely), which, as I alluded to earlier, are considered phenotypic.
memester;69528 wrote:
exactly.If I dye my hair blue, it's a phenotype..and the investigator does not need to know before investigating whether I dyed my hair or if it's a genetic trait or a result of a peculiar disease. He only has to identify the phenotypic difference in order to start investigating the cause. So Phenotype "blue hair" is legit. Of course, I need to have hair, and it needs to be able to hold dye... just as the dye needs to have certain attributes...but those aren't particulars that the investigation needs to know aforehand.

The connection between a flamingo's pigment and a hairstyle is a stretch, as one is a conscious choice and the other is not. Regardless, I would argue that a flamingo's genetic make-up does have an effective on their color, albeit an indirect one. It is the inability to metabolize the molecule that causes their pigmentation that leads to the observed phenotype.

Quote:
right, it's not due solely to environmental influence on that individual. It's a genetic trait; encoded for.

If you think "tanned" is not a phenotype, why not? Isn't phenotype "pink" in pink flamingos ( solely a result of pigment in feed) a phenotype..although it's not encoded for ?

'Epigenetics' Means What We Eat, How We Live And Love, Alters How Our Genes Behave

research into epigenetics
NOVA | scienceNOW | Epigenetics | PBS
If you do insist on calling "tan" a phenotype, then it is still a consequence of genetics, as the skin cells produce melanin to protect themselves from UV radiation.

I am well aware of epigenetics. You're going to be hard-pressed to find a phenotype that isn't influenced by genetics in some way. I never meant to imply that genetics was the sole-contributor to an observed phenotype, as any student who has taken introductory biology can (hopefully (!)) tell you. The point that I was trying to make was that phenotype is connected to genetics in very complex ways. Even when environmental factors influence genes (not necessarily by mutation, but via other mechanisms), genetics plays a role in the expressed phenotype.

Edit: To be more clear about epigenetics, the environmental impact doesn't directly effect the expression of genes. Rather, the environmental stimulation influences other cellular mechanisms that then regulate the gene.
Aedes

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 07:05 am
@memester,
memester;69528 wrote:
These days regulation is included in "genetics", I'd say.
Yes, but genotype and genetics are different concepts. Ones genotype is generally defined as one's DNA sequence. The regulation of a given gene, however, is likely to be highly polygenic and susceptible to all sorts of environmental and endocrine/paracrine signals. Thus, the regulation of gene expression cannot be synonymized with genotype -- it's a phenotypic effect unto itself, however much it depends on the underlying genes.
0 Replies

memester

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 08:02 am
@gregulus,
gregulus;69542 wrote:

The connection between a flamingo's pigment and a hairstyle is a stretch, as one is a conscious choice and the other is not.
A couple of questions; How do you have this information aforehand, before investigation ? How do you know that flamingos don't choose whether or not to partake of red-pigmented shrimp ? What if I introduce to their diet a more attractive-to-the-bird-in-some-way-but-differently-coloured shrmp ?
The assumptions may lead to needless error. In the case of white or yellow skinned chickens, it the mutation which DISABLES processing of pigment that produces yellow skinned chicken. Normally, in white chickens, the pigments are used as a nutritive vitamin source. In Pink Flamingos, it may be the same, a gene is disabled...or perhaps they just eat so much pigment that left-overs stain the feathers. Do we really know causes before investigation ?

MOST IMPORTANT DISTINCTION; the phenotype we were talking about was not "pigmented with beta-caroteines" phenotype. It was phenotype "Pink", a colour. Different colouration - as noted through our perception apparatus - was the distinction made by us.
Thusly is your pigmentation-cause argument totally disposed of. Colour detected by our senses is not necessarily a result of pigmentation; it can be structural, from a prism or as oil on water has colours. I don't think you are actually claiming that baseless assumption trumps investigation.

How do you know that the hairstyle was a choice, rather than as a result of sleeping upside down hanging from a tree limb, or the person just survived a hurricane, or went swimming and Mom towelled him dry, or that genetic encoding which makes them choose certain styles was the cause..choosing a neat style or a messy stye, one that hides their face, etc. ?

How about if the person is in a schizophrenic state and he's standing naked at the bus stop..will we assume that his hair style was chosen freely ? what if he was so paranoid that he insisted his hairstylist be blindfolded and working with safey scissors ? what if it's a child that had chemo even though he didn't want to have chemo ?

You see, I don't think it's the role of investigators of a phenomenon, to assume everything about causes, out of hand.

Allow me to give another fantastical example of why it's important to not pretend to know everything, before investigation.
We are checking into some bird populations. During a certain season, we notice many of the birds have mud marks on their bills and faces.

A week later, we find many of the birds are dead. All the birds we see still living have the mud smeared about their beaks, all dead birds do not. So we always CREATE phenotype. The main investigative purpose of CREATiING phenotype is of course, a mere categorization, done to distinguish one type from another -whether done visually, by weigh scale, measuring stick, or chemically - for investigative purposes - not for making assertion.

We then check the mud and find that it's bentonite clay, a toxin neutralizer. We notice upon further investigation that the birds with stained beaks eat clay after eating poisonous seeds, and the birds that didn't eat clay, died . This mud-on-beak phenotype may be caused by behaviour that is very important to the continuation of that bird species, and it may behaviour that is learned, encoded for, or mere chance. This may be zoopharmacognosy in action. We do not know until we investigate properly, and this is not done through baseless assumption.

If we don't CREATE phenotypes according to OUR wishes alone, then "phenotype" is a fairly useless distinction.

Phenotypes are just names WE give, and those names don't necessarily need to be constrained, limited to only those differences that we have knowledge of the underlying causes for.

Quote:

Regardless, I would argue that a flamingo's genetic make-up does have an effective on their color, albeit an indirect one. It is the inability to metabolize the molecule that causes their pigmentation that leads to the observed phenotype.
Unfortunately, this line of reasoning can be extended endlessly; let's note that another "indirect cause" of the colour of flamingos as seen by us, is light, the sun, light bulbs, our lens, retinas, our parent's desire to have a child, and ultimately, the Big Bang. This possibly endless "indirect cause-naming " makes our investigation turn to mush.
Quote:
If you do insist on calling "tan" a phenotype, then it is still a consequence of genetics, as the skin cells produce melanin to protect themselves from UV radiation.
I am well aware of epigenetics. You're going to be hard-pressed to find a phenotype that isn't influenced by genetics in some way. I never meant to imply that genetics was the sole-contributor to an observed phenotype, as any student who has taken introductory biology can (hopefully (!)) tell you. The point that I was trying to make was that phenotype is connected to genetics in very complex ways. Even when environmental factors influence genes (not necessarily by mutation, but via other mechanisms), genetics plays a role in the expressed phenotype.
In the case of an investigation of male baldness in New York we are doing a counting survey in the population. Bald headed men are just one kind, being observed and counted for the investigation: how do we know as they walk by, if the head has been shaved by choice, or it's male pattern baldness, or chemo, or perhaps last night the guy passed out at his frat keg party and got shaved ? Do we then say that it was his genetics that make him like beer and also his genetics that made him pass out early ?

If we make such assumptions out of hand we kill any possible investigation.

---------- Post added at 11:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 AM ----------

Aedes;69574 wrote:
Yes, but genotype and genetics are different concepts.
Yes - to some, but not to others. To those who use the term "Gene" in a functional way, rather than a moleclular way, or developmental way, they're one and the same.
Quote:

Ones genotype is generally defined as one's DNA sequence. The regulation of a given gene, however, is likely to be highly polygenic
Not if we use the term in an evolutionary biologist's way, a functional way, rather than the molecular biologist's way; in the "functional gene" way, we include junk DNA , RNA, and more - not just DNA sequences
gregulus

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 09:46 am
@memester,
OK, it seems like we need to make three separate distinctions here. Phenotype can depend on genetics, environment and a combination of the two. I disagree that my statement regarding genetics influencing flamingo pigmentation leads to an infinite regress because it does. If you want to say it does, then the assertion that an organism's genotype is in and of itself a phenotype must also lead to an infinite regression because it is unclear where the distinction of phenotype would stop. Not the molecular level, what about the atomic or the subatomic? To be clear, I don't want to say that your claim does lead to an infinite regression, but if you reason that mine does, then using similar reasoning, yours must as well.

The genotype-phenotype distinction is goes something like this: heredity produces, or at least leads to, certain effects. Some of these effects may be induced by environmental conditions, but heredity plays a factor nonetheless. It is dangerous to try to consider genotype a particular phenotype because the distinction is a very important one when studying the evolution of a species. That is, it would be impossible to adequately understand things like evolution without recognizing that the physical properties of an organism (the properties that are actually acted on during natural selection) are ultimately determined by what an organism's genotype is. That isn't to say that we are able to predict an organisms phenotype based solely on genetics in most instances. It can be done for certain genetic diseases such as CF, but in regards to the system as a whole, it is unlikely that the majority of characteristics can be predicted.

There is a reason why the terms genotype and phenotype were coined.

---------- Post added at 10:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 AM ----------

Quote:
Yes - to some, but not to others. To those who use the term "Gene" in a functional way, rather than a moleclular way, or developmental way, they're one and the same.

I'm not sure I follow. Molecular biologists talk about genes in a "functional way" all of the time.

There is a distinction between genetics and genotype. Genetics is a word pertaining to the study of heredity, whereas a genotype is the complete genetic makeup of an individual.
Quote:
Not if we use the term in an evolutionary biologist's way, a functional way, rather than the molecular biologist's way; in the "functional gene" way, we include junk DNA , RNA, and more - not just DNA sequences

Junk DNA is part of an organism's genotype. Genotype does not refer to activated genes, but all of an organism's DNA sequence.
memester

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 12:08 pm
@gregulus,
gregulus;69619 wrote:
OK, it seems like we need to make three separate distinctions here. Phenotype can depend on genetics, environment and a combination of the two.
Can we use "
caused by", instead of "depends on" when talking about phenotypic difference ?
Quote:
I disagree that my statement regarding genetics influencing flamingo pigmentation leads to an infinite regress because it does.
if it does, why do you disagree ?

Quote:
If you want to say it does, then the assertion that an organism's genotype is in and of itself a phenotype
I'd have to point out that I said"possible phenotype", as the choice is ours, depending on what we are naming for classification purposes.

Quote:
must also lead to an infinite regression because it is unclear where the distinction of phenotype would stop.
Yes, and in fact, that relates to what I tried to convey in the intial point I made in the opening post.
Quote:

Not the molecular level, what about the atomic or the subatomic?
never stop, as long as we can identify a difference.

Quote:
To be clear, I don't want to say that your claim does lead to an infinite regression, but if you reason that mine does, then using similar reasoning, yours must as well.
Yes ! both lead to it. that's my point. but one is always acknowedged, the other is seemingly never acknowledged.
Quote:
The genotype-phenotype distinction is goes something like this: heredity produces, or at least leads to, certain effects. Some of these effects may be induced by environmental conditions, but heredity plays a factor nonetheless.
What induces the change or difference, that is is what we are looking for. The naming of phenotype itself is only an observation and noting of the differences perceived, by which to start the investigation. If we knew nothing of genetics, we woud still use phenotype kind of classification, mere naming of difference observed, in order to then investigate cause.
Quote:
It is dangerous to try to consider genotype a particular phenotype because the distinction is a very important one when studying the evolution of a species.
Argument from consequences. It may be a good argument, but what if it's not ? If our concepts have blurring of lines, should we ignore that and create distinct but illogical boundaries ?
Quote:
That is, it would be impossible to adequately understand things like evolution without recognizing that the physical properties of an organism (the properties that are actually acted on during natural selection) are ultimately determined by what an organism's genotype is.
going back to original cause of everything , that would be naming as cause something that is not the cause of THE DIFFERENCE in phenotype. It is related , as is our eye to colour of bird , but it is NOT THE CAUSE of the DIFFERENCE !
Quote:
That isn't to say that we are able to predict an organisms phenotype based solely on genetics in most instances.
if we can't predict, even though we know the genetics, then it isn't the cause.

Quote:
It can be done for certain genetic diseases such as CF, but in regards to the system as a whole, it is unlikely that the majority of characteristics can be predicted.
of course..because genetics are not the sole cause of the differece seen in the phenotype. If genetics were the cause, then we would see the same phenotype in every normal specimen of the population having those genetics...such as humans normally having five digits per hand, one nose per face, two eyes, etc.. No amount of food or sunlight or work will make you have 4 fingers, unless the genetics, including all junk DNA and RNA and epigenetics, has a change somewhere..

Quote:
There is a reason why the terms genotype and phenotype were coined.
I'm not sure I follow. Molecular biologists talk about genes in a "functional way" all of the time.
Yes, and there's a reason why "ultimate cause of everything in the universe" is not included in the cause of a phenotypic change or difference.
We don't say that primeival forests are the cause of a car moving. That's ridiculous, and particularly not useful. Depending on what subject we are studying, we can include cause that is not cause of difference, but only so far.
In Law, we cannot claim that the universe is responsible, as the intitial cause of everything, when we are talking about cause of death in a murder case. We may extend ourselves to include the cause of his murderousness, in disposition of the case.
But that is not what we are looking for in cause of death; what cause d the difference between the person being alive one minute and dead the next.
Loss of blood supply, due to knife in the back, is a cause, and whose hand held the knife is included, of course...and even some other details are considered to be relevant in whether it's manslughter or murder.

Usefulness to us in the particular area of study, is what counts.

Molecular biologists MAY talk about "gen" in a functional way, but the different uses of "gene" are most useful as used for the different purposes. Paleontologists often use a certain meaning, other sciences use a different meaning.

Quote:

There is a distinction between genetics and genotype. Genetics is a word pertaining to the study of heredity, whereas a genotype is the complete genetic makeup of an individual.
There is that distinction for some, some, sometimes, and not for others, though both are legit.
Quote:
Junk DNA is part of an organism's genotype. Genotype does not refer to activated genes, but all of an organism's DNA sequence.
I know. but for some, only the actual "chromosomal" DNA sequence is the gene. For others, it includes anything that is part of replication, modulation, mediation, modification, error, phenylation....whatever is involved in any way in what they are talking about. And that's legit too.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 01:35 pm
@memester,
memester;69590 wrote:
To those who use the term "Gene" in a functional way, rather than a moleclular way, or developmental way, they're one and the same.
No they're not. That's like saying that walking is synonymous with leg.

The function of a gene is called "gene expression". They are not the same terms. The product of gene expression is an RNA transcript that has a sequence complementary to the gene. The regulation of gene expression involves different actors. The gene cannot be synonymized with its function.

memester;69590 wrote:
Evolutionary biology at the level of a gene is just applied molecular biology, so it's a semantic difference. Evolutionary biologists study things like haplotype maps, SNPs, etc, so they need this lexicon every bit as much as a molecular biologist.

There are no RNA genes except in RNA-based viruses like HIV and influenza. There are DNA sequences that are non-coding sequences, like promoters and telomeres and introns. There are further distinctions, however. The coding sequences following a promoter that specify the mRNA are the gene. The entirety of the DNA sequence downstream from the promoter, including non-coding sequences like introns, is an open reading frame, not a gene. The site on a chromosome where a gene exists is a locus, not a gene.
memester

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 01:50 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;69665 wrote:
No they're not. That's like saying that walking is synonymous with leg.
yes it is. It's like saying walking is synonymous with "balancing while putting one LEG in front of the other LEG and moving forward".
Quote:

The function of a gene is called "gene expression". They are not the same terms. The product of gene expression is an RNA transcript that has a sequence complementary to the gene. The regulation of gene expression involves different actors. The gene cannot be synonymized with its function.
but in fact it is done, legitimately, by scientists. You or I might not agree, but such terms exist, and respected experts say it's so. Similarly , the word "species", having so very many definitions, is used differently in different fields. e.g. A paleontologist might not use the biological concept of species for definition, if he can't tell if interbreeding was possible. Every scientist may in certain times use different meanings, but what I was talking about was a tendency to use certain meanings because of the demands of certain work.
Quote:

Evolutionary biology at the level of a gene is just applied molecular biology, so it's a semantic difference.
semantics is precisely what we're dealing with here.
Quote:
Evolutionary biologists study things like haplotype maps, SNPs, etc, so they need this lexicon every bit as much as a molecular biologist.
sure, they use more than one meaning, depending on their work

Quote:
There are no RNA genes except in RNA-based viruses like HIV and influenza. There are DNA sequences that are non-coding sequences, like promoters and telomeres and introns. There are further distinctions, however. The coding sequences following a promoter that specify the mRNA are the gene. The entirety of the DNA sequence downstream from the promoter, including non-coding sequences like introns, is an open reading frame, not a gene. The site on a chromosome where a gene exists is a locus, not a gene.
I'm going to get references to back what I asserted.

here Sandwalk: What Is a Gene?
Aedes

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 01:57 pm
@memester,
memester;69669 wrote:
It's like saying walking is synonymours with "balancing while putting one LEG in front of the other LEG and moving forward".
A gene is a thing, not a process.

memester;69669 wrote:
but in fact it is done, legitimately, buy scientists.
I don't know, I've spent a long time in science and I've never heard that. My fellowship research, at a somewhat well known institution of higher learning, was in this very field (specifically the molecular evolution of the malaria parasite), and not in a single meeting, conference, conversation, or article in the years I spent there did I hear this claim.
memester

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 02:03 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;69673 wrote:
A gene is a thing, not a process.

I don't know, I've spent a long time in science and I've never heard that. My fellowship research, at a somewhat well known institution of higher learning, was in this very field (specifically the molecular evolution of the malaria parasite), and not in a single meeting, conference, conversation, or article in the years I spent there did I hear this claim.
here, you see the concept of abstract and developmental
gene Sandwalk: What Is a Gene?
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 02:07 pm
@memester,
I don't see where he and I disagree, except that he's lamenting the "traditional" use of the word gene that I share. He has not made any kind of case about acceptable uses of the word "gene" in scientific parlance, though, and his objections to the traditional use do NOT have to do with regulation of gene expression but rather the source of coding material to produce a transcript.
memester

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 02:11 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;69678 wrote:
I don't see where he and I disagree, except that he's lamenting the "traditional" use of the word gene that I share. He has not made any kind of case about acceptable uses of the word "gene" in scientific parlance, though, and his objections to the traditional use do NOT have to do with regulation of gene expression but rather the source of coding material to produce a transcript.
you don't see where he talks about different definitions being used in different science fields, for specific reason relating to type of work ? abstract( functional) vs. developmental (physical) gene, Gene-P ( phenotype) vs. Gene-D (develpmental) ?
Quote:
The concept of a gene is a fundamental part of the fields of genetics, molecular biology, evolution and all the rest of biology. Gene concepts can be divided into two main categories: abstract and physical. Abstract genes are the kind we refer to when we talk about genes "for" a certain trait, including many genetic diseases. Most geneticists and many evolutionary biologists use an abstract gene concept.

Philosophers have coined the term "Gene-P" for the abstract gene concept. The "P" stands for "phenotype" indicating that this gene concept defines a gene by it's phenotypic effects and not its physical structure.

Physical genes consist of stretches of DNA with a beginning and an end. These are molecular genes that can be cloned and sequenced. Philosophers call them "Gene-D" where "D" stands for "development"-a very unfortunate choice.
Larry provides some other sites to see, in the link.

You understand, I hope, that I'm not picking and choosing, rejecting any, I am exploring the relationships, based on what others accept.

I specifically note Dawkins' words, as he is Father to so many who live in His Light.:perplexed:
He defines "gene" at one point according to "selectability".
gregulus

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 02:57 pm
@memester,
The genotype is one of the causes, though. It seems you're trying to distinctly separate two things that, for all intents and purposes cannot be separated. I never once said that a person's genotype is the sole cause of that person's phenotype. It is ultimately the way to environmental influence and the person's genotype (via other genetic products) interact that give a particular phenotype. You're also incorrectly, as Aedes has pointed out, attributing the meaning of "gene" with its function. Like Aedes, in all of my time spent around scientists and doing scientific work, never once have I heard "gene" used in a sense that would imply genetic modification or gene function.
Aedes

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 03:07 pm
@memester,
memester;69680 wrote:
you don't see where he talks about different definitions being used in different science fields, for specific reason relating to type of work ? abstract( functional) vs. developmental (physical) gene, Gene-P ( phenotype) vs. Gene-D (develpmental) ?
No, I don't see that, am I just missing it? He talks about philosophers' coinage of different terms, and he talks about the so-called gene-p as an abstraction of the genetic determinant of a phenotype, but he to my reading doesn't talk about differential usage in different fields of science.
memester

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 03:20 pm
@gregulus,
gregulus;69697 wrote:
The genotype is one of the causes, though. It seems you're trying to distinctly separate two things that, for all intents and purposes cannot be separated. I never once said that a person's genotype is the sole cause of that person's phenotype.
Genotype IS the sole cause of phenotypic differences, sometimes, though. We have five digits per hand with the genes for that as sole cause. No amount of nutrition or lack of it or any other environmental necessity will make a person not have five digits per hand..only change in genetics can do that. Poor environment will , however, affect your height, reducing height achieved, away from your genetic full potential.

Quote:
is ultimately the way to environmental influence and the person's genotype (via other genetic products) interact that give a particular phenotype. You're also incorrectly, as Aedes has pointed out, attributing the meaning of "gene" with its function. Like Aedes, in all of my time spent around scientists and doing scientific work, never once have I heard "gene" used in a sense that would imply genetic modification or gene function.
"Incorrectly" is not a description that I admit as true. I will be showing, and have already show, that esteemed scientists say it is so - it's so regardless of your experiences. I don't say whether they're right or wrong, I'm merely relating the usages to each other.