Matter at the fundamental stage is waves and vibrations

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 05:34 pm
Matter is made of waves

Matter at the most fundamental stage is just waves vibrating at different frequencies, maybe at this primordial level it is just quantum foam vibrating out into the universe, creating our reality, in this universe of ours

In other word it is the "Prime Mover?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,929 • Replies: 33
No top replies

north

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 08:19 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;146372 wrote:
Matter is made of waves

Quote:
Matter at the most fundamental stage is just waves vibrating at different frequencies,

of course it is

all matter has frequency
0 Replies

ughaibu

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 08:37 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Does Aristotle say so?
north

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 08:40 pm
@ughaibu,
ughaibu;146438 wrote:
Does Aristotle say so?

does it matter ?
ughaibu

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 09:02 pm
@north,
north;146441 wrote:
does it matter ?
As far as I know, "the prime mover" is character in a story by Aristotle, so the only way to decide whether or not quantum foam is the prime mover, is to consult Aristotle.
north

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 09:12 pm
@ughaibu,
ughaibu;146457 wrote:
As far as I know, "the prime mover" is character in a story by Aristotle, so the only way to decide whether or not quantum foam is the prime mover, is to consult Aristotle.

so tell us what the prime mover is then...
ughaibu

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 09:15 pm
@north,
north;146464 wrote:
so tell us what the prime mover is then...
Aristotle is available, free of charge, online.
north

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 09:19 pm
@ughaibu,
ughaibu;146467 wrote:
Aristotle is available, free of charge, online.

not going there

you brought this up , not me , tell me , what this Aristotle " prime mover " is..

you know what it is, so say so
ughaibu

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 09:20 pm
@north,
north;146468 wrote:
not going there

you brought this up , not me , tell me , what this Aristotle motivator is..

you know what it is, so say so
You land on a snake, go back to post number five.
north

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 09:23 pm
@ughaibu,
ughaibu;146469 wrote:
You land on a snake, go back to post number five.

why bring up this " prime mover " if you don't know what this " prime mover " is ?

it makes no sense
ughaibu

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 09:34 pm
@north,
north;146472 wrote:
why bring up this " prime mover " if you don't know what this " prime mover " is ?

it makes no sense
What is it that you cant understand about post five?
1) the guy asks if quantum foam is the prime mover
2) the prime mover is mooted by Aristotle
3) if the guy wants an answer to his question, then he is best advised to read Aristotle!!
north

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 09:38 pm
@ughaibu,
ughaibu;146476 wrote:
What is it that you cant understand about post five?
1) the guy asks if quantum foam is the prime mover
2) the prime mover is mooted by Aristotle
3) if the guy wants an answer to his question, then he is best advised to read Aristotle!!

and if the guy suggests that prime mover is the answer , it would be should be a good idea that he explains what he means
ughaibu

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 09:39 pm
@north,
north;146479 wrote:
and if the guy suggests that prime mover is the answer , it would be should be a good idea that he explains what he means
Okay, let's see what he comes up with.
north

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 09:51 pm
@ughaibu,
ughaibu;146480 wrote:
Okay, let's see what he comes up with.

continue on then
ughaibu

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 10:07 pm
@north,
north;146481 wrote:
continue on then
I suggest you read the thread again from the beginning. In the opening post the question "in other word it is the "Prime Mover?" is posed. I take this to mean something like "I think that quantum foam might be the prime mover, am I correct?". Neither the question nor the purported answer was suggested by me. If you want answers about what Alan McDougall meant, then you'll need to await them from him. If you want to attempt to answer his question yourself, then my question remains unchanged, "does Aristotle say so?". And if you want to know why I ask this question, my answer remains unchanged, "the only way to decide whether or not quantum foam is the prime mover, is to consult Aristotle". If you want to speculate or talk about other stuff, that's your affair, feel free.
north

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 10:18 pm
@ughaibu,
ughaibu;146485 wrote:
I suggest you read the thread again from the beginning. In the opening post the question "in other word it is the "Prime Mover?" is posed. I take this to mean something like "I think that quantum foam might be the prime mover, am I correct?". Neither the question nor the purported answer was suggested by me. If you want answers about what Alan McDougall meant, then you'll need to await them from him. If you want to attempt to answer his question yourself, then my question remains unchanged, "does Aristotle say so?". And if you want to know why I ask this question, my answer remains unchanged, "the only way to decide whether or not quantum foam is the prime mover, is to consult Aristotle". If you want to speculate or talk about other stuff, that's your affair, feel free.

I agree then with Alan's first post

but why would you ask , " does Aristotle say so ? "

what galvinized you to ask this question ?
prothero

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 11:00 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Matter is made of waves

Matter at the most fundamental stage is just waves vibrating at different frequencies, maybe at this primordial level it is just quantum foam vibrating out into the universe, creating our reality, in this universe of ours

This is basically string theory. In which the ultimate constituent of "matter" in not inert (billard ball) point particles but vibrating strings.

There are a lot of interesting implications to this but just to point out a few interesting philsophical implications and the potential answers to some perenial questions.

One matter would not be infintely divisible. The smallest constituent would be a string of Planck dimensions. The different particles could merely be different vibrations of the string. Ony certain vibrations would be allowed explaning some quantum features.
To allow for metaphors the universe would look more like some cosmic symphony composed of harmonically vibrating strings, than like a billiard ball table or a ping pong match. Space, time, and gravity would probably also be quantitized not smoothly continous. Different particles would pop into and out of existence as a result of stochastic quantum fluctuations.

For people like me who think reality is composed of "events" not particles and the world is fundamentally quantitized and discontinous not point particel and smoothly continuous. It is a great theory and it explains a lot. It is also in many ways more friendly to a notion or reality as in some ways more perceptive, interactive and experiential than the inert point particle view. The universe runs on energy and vibrations not on "matter".
A notion that is more spiritual and theist friendly than the mechanistic deterministc machine view of classical mechanics and the point particle continous space time of general relativity.

The prime mover is spirit not matter and energy is more akin to spirit than to matter.
north

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 11:05 pm
@prothero,
prothero;146500 wrote:
This is basically string theory. In which the ultimate constituent of "matter" in not inert (billard ball) point particles but vibrating strings.

There are a lot of interesting implications to this but just to point out a few interesting philsophical implications and the potential answers to some perenial questions.

One matter would not be infintely divisible. The smallest constituent would be a string of Planck dimensions. The different particles could merely be different vibrations of the string. Ony certain vibrations would be allowed explaning some quantum features.
To allow for metaphors the universe would look more like some cosmic symphony composed of harmonically vibrating strings, than like a billiard ball table or a ping pong match. Space, time, and gravity would probably also be quantitized not smoothly continous. Different particles would pop into and out of existence as a result of stochastic quantum fluctuations.

For people like me who think reality is composed of "events" not particles and the world is fundamentally quantitized and discontinous not point particel and smoothly continuous. It is a great theory and it explains a lot. It is also in many ways more friendly to a notion or reality as in some ways more perceptive, interactive and experiential than the inert point particle view. The universe runs on energy and vibrations not on "matter".
A notion that is more spiritual and theist friendly than the mechanistic deterministc machine view of classical mechanics and the point particle continous space time of general relativity.

The prime mover is spirit not matter and energy is more akin to spirit than to matter.

what of the macro world though ?

which is the ordering of the micro world
ughaibu

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 12:40 am
@north,
north;146488 wrote:

See post five. And if you need to ask this question again, please explain what it is that you dont understand.
north

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 12:48 am
@ughaibu,
Quote:
Originally Posted by north http://www.philosophyforum.com/images/PHBlue/buttons/viewpost.gif

ughaibu;146532 wrote:
See post five. And if you need to ask this question again, please explain what it is that you dont understand.

character