Could you design a better universe than this one?

Alan McDougall

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 04:30 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;102858 wrote:
Yet all the unimaginable vastness of the universe proves is that we are small and our imagination is finite.

Come on guys lets try and improve on this universe!

I will start,

1) cut out evolution go right to the higher evolved at once

2) Give you creatures a better way of absorbing energy than the appalling present one of kill eat or be killed or eaten

3) Make it possible to reverse grand entropy

4) Eliminate death

See where you/ I want to go with this thread?
TickTockMan

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 04:50 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;102858 wrote:
Yet all the unimaginable vastness of the universe proves is that we are small and our imagination is finite.

I disagree that imagination is finite. I can imagine anything, and often do.
I make a small portion of my living by creating abstract/surreal art, so I
depend on imagination. Sadly, my talent often seems finite . . . .
0 Replies

Justin

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 05:54 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Alan,

This is hardly a challenge to Atheists and I get the feeling this thread, based on the title is an attempt to justify Theism which simply wouldn't provide a good argument.

As always, we're at stand still on the God thing because everyone has a different idea of what god is. What God is to one isn't what God is to all. Religions are religions and their idea of God is different from other religions. So God by definition cannot possibly be explained because we'd have to know which God is being talked about before we can start.

There would be many ways we could improve the universe and I think the first would be to discover the divine within it and within each other. To improve the universe we must first improve our perception of it and quit seeking an all-powerful deity in books and religions and become enlightened enough to know that omnipresence is omnipresent in all things. Seriously, we have to start at the beginning because to start now with the plethora of religions, gods, deities, dogmas and all that other stuff, is part of the reason we're killing the universe.

So, IMHO improvement has to start from the very beginning. If all of us are seeking God in things, in books, in money, in others, how is it any of us will be able to improve a universe we cannot comprehend?

Sure there are a lot of ways one could fantasize about how to change it, but this isn't a fantasy. I think we need to start by discovering heaven and god within ourselves before we can begin to comprehend and change this universe. And if we're all fighting about who's god is the right god and who's god we have to worship and give our lives to, that in-and-of-itself will not lead to improvement of our universe... as we've been so privy to observe during our stay here in the now.

The title of this thread is misleading if in fact it is a challenge to atheists... thus an attempt to debunk it if they cannot create a more improved universe than your god.

These are my thoughts on it. Peace!
Alan McDougall

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 06:57 pm
@Justin,
Justin;102897 wrote:
Alan,

This is hardly a challenge to Atheists and I get the feeling this thread, based on the title is an attempt to justify Theism which simply wouldn't provide a good argument.

As always, we're at stand still on the God thing because everyone has a different idea of what god is. What God is to one isn't what God is to all. Religions are religions and their idea of God is different from other religions. So God by definition cannot possibly be explained because we'd have to know which God is being talked about before we can start.

There would be many ways we could improve the universe and I think the first would be to discover the divine within it and within each other. To improve the universe we must first improve our perception of it and quit seeking an all-powerful deity in books and religions and become enlightened enough to know that omnipresence is omnipresent in all things. Seriously, we have to start at the beginning because to start now with the plethora of religions, gods, deities, dogmas and all that other stuff, is part of the reason we're killing the universe.

So, IMHO improvement has to start from the very beginning. If all of us are seeking God in things, in books, in money, in others, how is it any of us will be able to improve a universe we cannot comprehend?

Sure there are a lot of ways one could fantasize about how to change it, but this isn't a fantasy. I think we need to start by discovering heaven and god within ourselves before we can begin to comprehend and change this universe. And if we're all fighting about who's god is the right god and who's god we have to worship and give our lives to, that in-and-of-itself will not lead to improvement of our universe... as we've been so privy to observe during our stay here in the now.

The title of this thread is misleading if in fact it is a challenge to atheists... thus an attempt to debunk it if they cannot create a more improved universe than your god.

These are my thoughts on it. Peace!

Accepted Justin I thought of changing the Title to "Could you create a better universe than ours" leaving out atheist and God. Can you alter the title or is it too late?
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 08:35 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;102876 wrote:

Come on guys lets try and improve on this universe!

I will start,

1) cut out evolution go right to the higher evolved at once
The bacteria in our crap is more highly evolved than any of us. Why? Because it's had far more generation times. It has a new generation every 20 minutes -- we need to wait ~15 years, but routinely wait 30. Unless you want a universe with static conditions and never any biological stressors, the bacteria is actually better equipped to survive.
Alan McDougall

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 09:00 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;102925 wrote:
The bacteria in our crap is more highly evolved than any of us. Why? Because it's had far more generation times. It has a new generation every 20 minutes -- we need to wait ~15 years, but routinely wait 30. Unless you want a universe with static conditions and never any biological stressors, the bacteria is actually better equipped to survive.

Assuming you were an entity of a civilization unimaginably more advanced that we humans, with all the tools and resources to create anything you want to?. Why start with bacteria, why not start with a being like yourself, highly intelligent and capable. Would that not be a better factor in the survival race than a simple bacteria?

Do we really need 15 billion years or so just to create a puny human? Of course I accept your point of view that the bacteria might out live us

Would you create a virus these little devils only seem to exist to multiply and kill their host?
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 09:12 pm
@Alan McDougall,
If survival is our measure of success, then bacteria are "better".

If the ability to do thought experiments is our measure of success, then humans are "better".

FIRST
If we are going to "start" a 'bioverse', then we need to start with the simplest genetic common denominator. That is the cell. A large organism needs cells in part because cells (being very small) have an enormous surface area to volume ratio in comparison. The surface area of our alveoli alone could cover a parking lot. Being composed of cells allows us to have much more complicated interactions with the outside world. It also allows us more complicated functions (including cognitive functions) by having cells that are 1) differentiated from one another but 2) follow the same genetic program.

There can be no multicellular organism unless you've first had unicellular organisms. And bacteria were the first unicellular organisms.

SECOND
If all the bacteria disappeared from the earth, all humans would quite promptly follow. We have symbiotic relationships with the other organisms in our environment, including our microbiota. You can't will away symbiosis and still have an organism.

You're kind of advocating some solar-powered robot that is made of no parts.
Alan McDougall

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 09:20 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;102931 wrote:
If survival is our measure of success, then bacteria are "better".

If the ability to do thought experiments is our measure of success, then humans are "better".

FIRST
If we are going to "start" a 'bioverse', then we need to start with the simplest genetic common denominator. That is the cell. A large organism needs cells in part because cells (being very small) have an enormous surface area to volume ratio in comparison. The surface area of our alveoli alone could cover a parking lot. Being composed of cells allows us to have much more complicated interactions with the outside world. It also allows us more complicated functions (including cognitive functions) by having cells that are 1) differentiated from one another but 2) follow the same genetic program.

There can be no multicellular organism unless you've first had unicellular organisms. And bacteria were the first unicellular organisms.

SECOND
If all the bacteria disappeared from the earth, all humans would quite promptly follow. We have symbiotic relationships with the other organisms in our environment, including our microbiota. You can't will away symbiosis and still have an organism.

You're kind of advocating some solar-powered robot that is made of no parts.

So we are a composite being not a single entity? Point noted, but we are also just elements, quantum particles strung together as well, where to you draw the line?

Why build a building with small pebbles when you could fabricate a whole house as one unit?
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 09:25 pm
@Alan McDougall,
It's a matter of resolution. Forest or trees?

But composite though we are, we develop from a single cell, we have central organization and regulation of most physiologic processes, and we have a central consciousness.

There is a difference between Notre Dame de Paris and a pile of rocks. Notre Dame didn't start with a rock. It started with a blueprint.
Alan McDougall

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 01:26 am
@Aedes,
Aedes;102934 wrote:
It's a matter of resolution. Forest or trees?

But composite though we are, we develop from a single cell, we have central organization and regulation of most physiologic processes, and we have a central consciousness.

There is a difference between Notre Dame de Paris and a pile of rocks. Notre Dame didn't start with a rock. It started with a blueprint.

What blueprint did evolution/universe start with?

So you are saying we cannot improve biologically on the evolutionary process of the universe!!

The time it took to reach and evolve a being like us is enormous and the best humanity can hope for is the exist for a fleeting flash an infinitesimal moment before becoming extinct and vanishing from the cosmos

Surly the universe/evolution could do a better job in less time and allow its creatures to live for millions of years instead of a brief seventy or so?
kennethamy

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 02:33 am
@Pangloss,
Pangloss;102820 wrote:
This thread could make a nice attempt at collaborative fiction in the creative writing section...but it's got nothing to do with philosophy.

I've never heard of anyone, atheist or theist, who thinks that they could design a 'better' universe than what we have. And most atheists probably believe that no one is capable of performing such a feat, which could be reason that they became atheists in the first place. The burden of proof in this type of debate certainly lies with the theist who makes claims of a hidden, supreme architect living behind the impersonal laws of physics that cause this universe to behave as it does.

Voltaire certainly did think he could (had he been God) designed a better universe than we have. From your name, I know you must have read Candide, and you seem to be echoing the character who is your namesake. Do you think this is really the best of all possible worlds? Voltaire clearly did not. And Candide certainly has a lot to to with philosophy.
Pangloss

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 02:40 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;102965 wrote:
Voltaire certainly did think he could (had he been God) designed a better universe than we have. From your name, I know you must have read Candide, and you seem to be echoing the character who is your namesake. Do you think this is really the best of all possible worlds? Voltaire clearly did not. And Candide certainly has a lot to to with philosophy.

We've got to do what we can with what we have...why speculate about some world that could be, when we have so far to go before we reach the potential of this world? El Dorado cannot be reached by some act of God or divine intervention, but by people.
xris

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 05:33 am
@Pangloss,
A defined purpose written for all to see.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 08:20 am
@Pangloss,
Pangloss;102966 wrote:
We've got to do what we can with what we have...why speculate about some world that could be, when we have so far to go before we reach the potential of this world? El Dorado cannot be reached by some act of God or divine intervention, but by people.

I'm sorry for interrupting, but what is "El Dorado"? Upon googling, I came upon the Spanish legend (which I was already aware of), but I can't imagine that's what you were referring to. I'm going to assume it has something to do with the work kennethamy was speaking about?
kennethamy

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 08:27 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;102982 wrote:
I'm sorry for interrupting, but what is "El Dorado"? Upon googling, I came upon the Spanish legend (which I was already aware of), but I can't imagine that's what you were referring to. I'm going to assume it has something to do with the work kennethamy was speaking about?

Yes. In Voltaire's Candide, El Dorado is "the promised land" where everything will be just hunky-dory.

Candide: El Dorado
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 08:43 am
@kennethamy,
If I where to change the Universe the Universe would be itself, already changed, because, necessarily resulting of its convection, my nature and what I will, would be, should be, what "it" needs...(not wants, no such thing as freedom)
The Absolute is "unsurpasseble" ! (even and specially to itself)
Nothing within its boundaries can wish for something different from what "It" is...
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 09:44 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;102959 wrote:
What blueprint did evolution/universe start with?
Potential energy and chaos theory put into practice.

So you are saying we cannot improve biologically on the evolutionary process of the universe!!
Not by the ways you mention or by any understanding we have.

The time it took to reach and evolve a being like us is enormous and the best humanity can hope for is the exist for a fleeting flash an infinitesimal moment before becoming extinct and vanishing from the cosmos

Surly the universe/evolution could do a better job in less time and allow its creatures to live for millions of years instead of a brief seventy or so?
Bristlecone pines can live for 5000 years. Who knows how long a dormant bacterial spore can live.
0 Replies

Justin

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 11:03 am
@Alan McDougall,
Title changed from: A challenged to atheist can you design a better universe than this one?
To: Could you design a better universe than this one?

Thanks Alan for your consideration on making the change.
0 Replies