Libertarianism vs. Anarchism

hue-man

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 02:37 pm
There is a thin line between libertarianism and anarchism. Anarchism argues that there is no justification for the state because no amount of coercion should be permissible. Libertarianism argues that the state should be minimized to protecting individuals from aggression and coercion with a minimal amount of coercion.

I personally believe that libertarianism has a better argument on it's side for the existence of the state. I especially believe that individualist anarcho-capitalism is more vulnerable to valid arguments.

Anarchism fails to minimize coercion because it favors liberty's theoretical inviolability over its practical protection.

Anarchism fails to:

- Prevent coercion by strong persons and aggressive foreign states

- Prevent aggressive use or pollution of unowned resources

- Prevent unfair treatment of creditors by bankrupt debtors

- Regulate natural monopolies

- Prevent anti-competitive artificial monopolies

- Prevent torture and extinction of organisms

I welcome any agreements or disagreements from critical thinkers.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,581 • Replies: 32
No top replies

Krumple

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 05:24 pm
@hue-man,
I agree with ya Hue,

In a lot of ways anarchist neglect to see that people are horrible with governing themselves. You might be able to get small groups to play nicely with each for a little while but it never is that simple especially with more demand on resources. The lazy always return to the easiest amount of labor to obtain the most amount of return. Usually in the form of stealing or killing then taking.

"Anarchy only lasts until the candy runs out".
hue-man

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 05:56 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple;65748 wrote:
I agree with ya Hue,

In a lot of ways anarchist neglect to see that people are horrible with governing themselves. You might be able to get small groups to play nicely with each for a little while but it never is that simple especially with more demand on resources. The lazy always return to the easiest amount of labor to obtain the most amount of return. Usually in the form of stealing or killing then taking.

"Anarchy only lasts until the candy runs out".

Thanks for your response, Krumple. However, I do have some disagreements with the quote above. I don't know that people are horrible with governing themselves. The anarchist societies in pre-revolutionary Spain governed themselves quite well. I'm merely arguing that anarchism, especially in the form of anarcho-capitalism, is inadequete at creating a just society. Even if you remove capitalism from an anarchistic society and replace it with communism, you still have problems like extinction of organisms, destruction of valuable eco systems, and incidents of aggression and coercion by foreign states and domestic aggressors.

I don't believe that all people who steal and kill are merely lazy. Unemployment and poverty is not merely a result of laziness. That's a kind of smug thing to believe.

My conclusion is that we should first change our economic system from the monetary capitalist system to an economy based on the collective communal ownership of the means of production and the equal distribution of goods and services. Then we should minimize the state to an institution that exists strictly to prevent aggression and coercion with a minimal amount of coercion; the state should only exist to protect the rights of persons and other organisms.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 08:03 pm
@hue-man,
Quote:
Unemployment and poverty is not merely a result of laziness.

When did I say unemployment or poverty were due to laziness? I said lazy people tend to want to do the least amount of work with the most return. Which sometimes includes stealing or killing instead of putting in the work themselves.

Quote:
equal distribution of goods and services.

You can never get this, because there will be some pompous ass who thinks they are better than everyone else who deserves more of something or everything else. It doesn't work and no amount of forcing it will ever make it work.
Yogi DMT

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 08:34 pm
@hue-man,
Anarchism definitely fails to address a few issues this is because the system (or lack of system) is set up so that the world may be more of a fend-for-yourself enviroment forcing us to use survival skills and technique that we wouldn't have to use in under libertarianism. Under libertertarianism, we are far less concerned with survival because we have a strong government to defend us and support us in most cases, then us as individual become less able to survive without any higher authority and justice. When living under anarchism we are then forced to live without as much protection and therefore become more cautious about our well-being. I agree with krumple and what he has illustrated that we as humans unfortunately put ourselves before everyone in most cases, you say that in effect we are naturally corrupt. Without laws and order, very few people would not take the chance to steal if they could. That is our fundamental flaw. We cannot all coexist as equals without taking from one another and causes tension and conflict. People are naturally selfish and that is another flaw with everyone living without any control and authority.
0 Replies

hue-man

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 10:34 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple;65767 wrote:
You can never get this, because there will be some pompous ass who thinks they are better than everyone else who deserves more of something or everything else. It doesn't work and no amount of forcing it will ever make it work.

Anecdotes; this statement seems to be grounded in cynicism more than facts. I mean you may be right, but this statement is not a fact. Even if someone did want more than someone else, that doesn't mean that he will get more than someone else. Furthermore, why would they want more when they could basically have all of the goods and services that they need?

---------- Post added at 12:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 AM ----------

Yogi DMT;65771 wrote:
Anarchism definitely fails to address a few issues this is because the system (or lack of system) is set up so that the world may be more of a fend-for-yourself enviroment forcing us to use survival skills and technique that we wouldn't have to use in under libertarianism. Under libertertarianism, we are far less concerned with survival because we have a strong government to defend us and support us in most cases, then us as individual become less able to survive without any higher authority and justice. When living under anarchism we are then forced to live without as much protection and therefore become more cautious about our well-being. I agree with krumple and what he has illustrated that we as humans unfortunately put ourselves before everyone in most cases, you say that in effect we are naturally corrupt. Without laws and order, very few people would not take the chance to steal if they could. That is our fundamental flaw. We cannot all coexist as equals without taking from one another and causes tension and conflict. People are naturally selfish and that is another flaw with everyone living without any control and authority.

I agree, but I believe that it's the monetary system and the unequal distribution of goods and services that causes people to behave that way. People behave differently in different societies. I'm also not so sure that state authority actually prevents crime that much.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 10:59 pm
@hue-man,
Quote:
Furthermore, why would they want more when they could basically have all of the goods and services that they need?

Because some people don't want what they need, they want to feel better than everyone else, they want to feel more privileged or special so they will do what ever that takes, if it means having more or controlling more they will do that.
hue-man

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 08:14 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;65784 wrote:
Because some people don't want what they need, they want to feel better than everyone else, they want to feel more privileged or special so they will do what ever that takes, if it means having more or controlling more they will do that.

I understand your skepticism, but don't you think that this view stems more from cynicism than actual facts? We've never had a socio-economic system that was fully egalitarian in its foundations. People want wealth and power because those values are induced by our socio-economic system. Just observe human behavior in more primal societies compared to human behavior in "civilized" societies. It's the environment that causes the behavior.
0 Replies

jimkass

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 11:34 am
@hue-man,
I had many a debate with anarcho-capitalists on my point that they merely redefine 'government' to exclude their 'defense agencies'.

The root argument is what role coercion properly has in human social life. Libertarians and anarcho-capitalist would agree (I think) that the only proper role is limited to resistance against the use of it, and to objectify it's use in settling disputes.

On the other hand, Hue-man's notion of "equal" distribution would require a massively centralized agency of coercion that would have control of virtually every aspect of the individual's life.

Capitalism allows the value, importance and distribution of wealth to be determined in a more democratic fashion by the individuals actually involved in the creation, distribution and consumption of that wealth.

Capitalism is, properly, an ecological system, not a centralized dictatorship.

JIM
hue-man

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 12:14 pm
@jimkass,
jimkass;66198 wrote:
I had many a debate with anarcho-capitalists on my point that they merely redefine 'government' to exclude their 'defense agencies'.

The root argument is what role coercion properly has in human social life. Libertarians and anarcho-capitalist would agree (I think) that the only proper role is limited to resistance against the use of it, and to objectify it's use in settling disputes.

On the other hand, Hue-man's notion of "equal" distribution would require a massively centralized agency of coercion that would have control of virtually every aspect of the individual's life.

Capitalism allows the value, importance and distribution of wealth to be determined in a more democratic fashion by the individuals actually involved in the creation, distribution and consumption of that wealth.

Capitalism is, properly, an ecological system, not a centralized dictatorship.

JIM

Please explain how my notion of equal distribution requires a centralized agency of coercion that would have control of virtually every aspect of the individual's life?
jimkass

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 12:44 pm
@hue-man,
How can it not ?

Some kind of power elite with have to determine what the individual can properly claim to need and what one person must contribute to society to qualify as the object of distribution.

Thus the government becomes the arbiter and enforcer of proper individual values, proper individual goals and, therefore, the direction of individual lives.

That about covers it, no ?
hue-man

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 01:05 pm
@jimkass,
jimkass;66208 wrote:
How can it not ?

Some kind of power elite with have to determine what the individual can properly claim to need and what one person must contribute to society to qualify as the object of distribution.

Thus the government becomes the arbiter and enforcer of proper individual values, proper individual goals and, therefore, the direction of individual lives.

That about covers it, no ?

No, that doesn't cover it. There will be no political elite. Individual and collective needs will be determined by direct democracy through consensus. The government wouldn't aggressively enforce any values other than the minimization of coercion. Individual's will choose their own way of life as long as it doesn't conflict with the rights of other people.
henry quirk

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 01:25 pm
@hue-man,
"...some pompous ass who thinks they are better than everyone else..."

yeah: that would be me

HA!

anarchism and libertarianism are fictions just like republicanism, democratism, democracy, capitalism, communism, atheism, christianity, justice, morality, ethics, equality, natural rights, etc.

these fictions, and a truck load of others, are sometimes useful...nice models for galvanizing the domesticated to move in one direction or another

but: they're just fictions...that is: they have no basis in how the world seems to work...they exist only as ideas of men, implemented by men

when men are gone: the fictions go too

for my money: gimme the true anarchy of the 'free market" (which is NOT the same as a capitalistic market)...that is: gimme the unrestrained interactions of, between, and among individuals

a cog described my position as advocating for a return to the 'wild west'...the cog is probably right

all i know: the veneer of civilization is thin and dishonest...the dull and stupid are invariably elevated while the cunning and smart are forced to lower themselves...such is the demand of 'equality' and 'justice'

bottom line: anarchism, libertarianism...both have too many goddamned rules to follow

---------- Post added at 02:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 PM ----------

"Individual's will choose their own way of life as long as it doesn't conflict with the rights of other people."

but: that's not how the world works...it never has worked this way and it never will

the basic transaction of the world is 'prey' or 'be prey'

amoebas do it...platypi do it...even fragile human beings do it

so, do it: use the other guy before he uses you

it's not ALL 'bad'

marriage is a good example: mutually agreed upon 'use'...half the time it actually works out

them's pretty good odds as far as 'eat' or 'be eaten' goes...
jimkass

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 10:32 am
@hue-man,
hue-man;66213 wrote:
No, that doesn't cover it. There will be no political elite. Individual and collective needs will be determined by direct democracy through consensus. The government wouldn't aggressively enforce any values other than the minimization of coercion. Individual's will choose their own way of life as long as it doesn't conflict with the rights of other people.

So we have a national referendum if I want a HD TV ?

Either your 'vision' needs more elaboration or it is utter nonsense. Please cook up a scenario of how your utopia works.
hue-man

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 10:43 am
@jimkass,
jimkass;66375 wrote:
So we have a national referendum if I want a HD TV ?

Either your 'vision' needs more elaboration or it is utter nonsense. Please cook up a scenario of how your utopia works.

I don't think we need a consensus vote to figure out if people want entertainment or need food, clothing, and shelter, jimkass.

I don't believe in utopia. I'm not proposing that we can have a perfect society. I'm simply proposing a better society, but your cynical thinking probably leads you to believe that improvement is as impossible as perfection.

The point is that your argument, that we need an authoritarian dictatorship to have an economic system where goods and services are distributed equally, is a false argument.
Eudaimon

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 01:33 pm
@hue-man,
Hue-man, I think also that thy arguments are to a great extent utopian. Consensus? It doesn't work if there are people who want to have more than others, as henry said. Communism beginning from Karl Marx imlied coercion...
I cannot choose between anarchism and libertarianism. The other thing is that I am now living under anarchy: none can make me do what I don't want. I have no need in punishments also, therefore I have no need in government. See, all this presupposes we have something valuable in life, something worth protecting. For those who are free from desire to the worldly things, there is no need in government, I should even say it doesn't exist for them.
But these are only elite. The masses when deprived of government, will reestablish it sometime again, just because they ascribe value to worldly things. Anarchy is only for few.
It is impossible to build a good house from straw however one may arrange it.
hue-man

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 04:10 pm
@Eudaimon,
Eudaimon;66425 wrote:
Hue-man, I think also that thy arguments are to a great extent utopian. Consensus? It doesn't work if there are people who want to have more than others, as henry said. Communism beginning from Karl Marx imlied coercion...
I cannot choose between anarchism and libertarianism. The other thing is that I am now living under anarchy: none can make me do what I don't want. I have no need in punishments also, therefore I have no need in government. See, all this presupposes we have something valuable in life, something worth protecting. For those who are free from desire to the worldly things, there is no need in government, I should even say it doesn't exist for them.
But these are only elite. The masses when deprived of government, will reestablish it sometime again, just because they ascribe value to worldly things. Anarchy is only for few.
It is impossible to build a good house from straw however one may arrange it.

No offense, but this is all very rhetorical, Eudaimon. A Utopia is a perfect society, and I believe that that's impossible. I haven't committed to anarchism, but many of its arguments are valid. Desire for the worldly things has nothing to do with government. Government's primary function is the protection of individual rights with a minimal amount of coercion. Virtually all people value the minimization of coercion, and virtually everyone values their individual freedom of non-coercive actions. That value is not a worldly thing, and by worldly I assume that you mean superficial.
Poseidon

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 04:36 pm
@hue-man,
Anarchy is devoid of concept unless qualified by another term like "Christian Anarchy". ( a real historical group )

All the govt of the day has to do is say "yes we are anarchically going to just carry on doing what we always did. Its anarchy, so we can do what we want".

I could never tell the difference between Libertarianismationalismistcism and Anarchy, when studying human rights philosophy.

Your definition :
Quote:
Libertarianism argues that the state should be minimized to protecting individuals from aggression and coercion with a minimal amount of coercion.

So its a protection racket?

The age old question :
Who protects the individuals from state aggression?

Who stops the aggressors from simply boodoggling their way into the states power?

I don't like to pose tough questions like this without attempting to answer them:

We are born into democracy, so we can only postulate any new move on the basis of this. So, I would go with internet voting on particular issues, rather than electing a govt which waters down all issues and actually does nothing except increase its size and budget and beaurocracy.

I could call this Logical Individualized Technoligism.
(Sorry if the logic moved me off topic a bit - but its logic - and I am its slave)
L.I.T.'s great advantage would be to ensure that the decision makers at least are smart enough to use a computer. In effect : meritocratic free choice.
0 Replies

Eudaimon

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 08:04 am
@hue-man,
hue-man;66444 wrote:
No offense, but this is all very rhetorical, Eudaimon. A Utopia is a perfect society, and I believe that that's impossible. I haven't committed to anarchism, but many of its arguments are valid. Desire for the worldly things has nothing to do with government. Government's primary function is the protection of individual rights with a minimal amount of coercion. Virtually all people value the minimization of coercion, and virtually everyone values their individual freedom of non-coercive actions. That value is not a worldly thing, and by worldly I assume that you mean superficial.

How art thou going to keep people in communes, or, to express that better: should capitalistic relationships be banned in that new society?
Further, dost thou really think that if every one had enough food and house, that would prevent crimes? If yes, then it is difficult to explain why richmen, milliardaires even, commit crimes. But I'll try to explain that. There are things that cannot be divided and namely these cause the most part of crimes. Someone has a pretty wife, another wants her too... To communalise women? But woman is also human and should have right decide whom to sleep with. Another example: someone has a picture of Picasso and he want that to be his only; another man thinks otherwise. Thou seest conflict here is inevitable. At least, it cannot be resolved by mere change of conditions, political system etc.
Consensus is also a bad idea, just like modern elections. Just imagine we have a physician and the question is how to cure a certain illness. Should we seek decision via voting when voters have no knowledge in medicine... Here the contradiction is obvious, but this is exactly the same thing we have in politics. How do we know this man is better than that? How can we, not being economists, know which anti-crisis program is more suitable? This is a heavy argument against democracy. But don't think that I am commited to something like monarchy, oligarchy, aristocracy or so. It's just that I think we cannot know the best political system and shouldn't therefore give so much value to its improvement.

hue-man;66444 wrote:
Desire for the worldly things has nothing to do with government. Government's primary function is the protection of individual rights with a minimal amount of coercion. Virtually all people value the minimization of coercion, and virtually everyone values their individual freedom of non-coercive actions. That value is not a worldly thing, and by worldly I assume that you mean superficial.

Listen, what for should individuals have rights? Are rights something different from legalisation of possession of 'material goods', namely that worldly or superficial things, and based on fear of deprivation of them...
0 Replies

xris

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 08:09 am
@henry quirk,
henry quirk;66218 wrote:
"...some pompous ass who thinks they are better than everyone else..."

yeah: that would be me

HA!

anarchism and libertarianism are fictions just like republicanism, democratism, democracy, capitalism, communism, atheism, christianity, justice, morality, ethics, equality, natural rights, etc.

these fictions, and a truck load of others, are sometimes useful...nice models for galvanizing the domesticated to move in one direction or another

but: they're just fictions...that is: they have no basis in how the world seems to work...they exist only as ideas of men, implemented by men

when men are gone: the fictions go too

for my money: gimme the true anarchy of the 'free market" (which is NOT the same as a capitalistic market)...that is: gimme the unrestrained interactions of, between, and among individuals

a cog described my position as advocating for a return to the 'wild west'...the cog is probably right

all i know: the veneer of civilization is thin and dishonest...the dull and stupid are invariably elevated while the cunning and smart are forced to lower themselves...such is the demand of 'equality' and 'justice'

bottom line: anarchism, libertarianism...both have too many goddamned rules to follow

---------- Post added at 02:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 PM ----------

"Individual's will choose their own way of life as long as it doesn't conflict with the rights of other people."

but: that's not how the world works...it never has worked this way and it never will

the basic transaction of the world is 'prey' or 'be prey'

amoebas do it...platypi do it...even fragile human beings do it

so, do it: use the other guy before he uses you

it's not ALL 'bad'

marriage is a good example: mutually agreed upon 'use'...half the time it actually works out

them's pretty good odds as far as 'eat' or 'be eaten' goes...
Ya hoo cow boy..whose going to be sheriff in this wild west economy..