Analytic Philosophy has missed the point of religion

Fido

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2009 05:26 am
@rhinogrey,
I bought a Penguin Classic this weekend for a dime: Cicero; On the Good Life.... In the introduction is a quotation from H.G. Wells, from an early edition of his Outline of History, by way of illustating the notion first put forward largely by Cicero, that we are all made of the stuff of God, that stuff being purely, Reason, and children of God, and so brothers....

"In the background of the consiousness of the world, waiting as silence and moonlight wait above the flairs and shouts, the hurdygurdys and quarrels of a villiage fair, is the knowledge that all humanity is one brotherhood, that God is universal and impartial, Father of Mankind, and that only in the universal service can mankind find peace, or peace be found for the troubles of the universal soul."..

I just offer this for thought, since there is plenty enough of scientific evidence for the universal brotherhood of mankind...
And if I remember correctly, Caesar, who appealed to the dispossessed citizen to establish his tyranny was the man in fact who came closest to making that brotherhood a reality in that day, even wishing Roman citizenship for all the colonies- Was hated by Cicero, and in the after math of the assasination, his head was nailed to his wall... But, I speak from memory rather from some book...I can fact check it.. I still own history...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2009 05:41 am
@rhinogrey,
Akeem; You try to tell me how people of the past were...The past is not so far away that we cannot touch it... And much as we abstract good and evil into God and the devil; in fact, these were always the dicotomy between the near and far, the inside of society and the outside... You just cannot understand western culture, tragedy being one example, without being able to see through the eyes of a person scapegoated for sins real, and imagined and driven out of society... WE bulllshit ourselves into thinking we exist apart from our communites... We do not exist apart; and far more than us, ancient people got their identity from their communites and could not think of themselves other than as part of this group or that... Community is so much easier when surrounded by enemies, and we see this in words like ethic which point at custom or character...One reflects honor onto ones people or lays them open to insult and attack... And honor itself was a function of status in community, so that we still say rehabilitate, having the meaning of restored to honor and saying returned to home... God is community, and when the Greeks scapegoated some poor unlucky soul to certain death, it was not for an actual crime, but for a presumed offense of the community against its god, just in case such an offense actually occured, so that the whole community could be on the good side of god, and pure in the sight of god...

Look at the Orestian trilogy... Why did Orestes kill his mother???Why did Electra tell him in some accounts that if he did not, that she would...Why did Their Mother kill Agamemnon, and was it for that murder that she was killed??? In fact; she was entitled to kill Agamemnon for he had killed her daughter, her tribe; but she was killed because she defiled the temple, and by extension, the whole community with human blood...Now, she inflated the ego of Agamemnon so he thought he was as good as the god, and went into the temple unwashed, which means he should die, but to kill him there was a crime against the whole community... And this brought dishonor to the whole family as well as the community; so that Electra was married off to a commoner, and thus her rage from the royal blood in her veins...But, to avoid blood feud, no one but Orestes, or some other member of her tribe could kill her, and it is for this reason that Orestes was not punished as guilty, because, while he had done the most terrible crime among ancients, that he had lifted the curse from his community... Look at Oedipus as one who did the opposite, that in killing father, and marrying mother brought a curse onto his whole community...What we normally think of as the lesser crime because it was done out of ignorance was actually the greater crime...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2009 07:09 am
@Akeem Scribe,
Quote:

Akeem Scribe wrote:
What exactly is it you are disagreeing with, that religion is conceived of by humans? We're both taking that position so that can't be it. You say that a community forms a religion. At least I can understand why you would think I don't agree with you, but I do. What I am saying is that after the creation of religion, religion helped structure the community. The structure religion gave helped man evolve culturally and live better lives. Though I would argue it has done very limited good in recent times.

Religion in no sense is created, but is natural, growing out of community, and out of the human ability to concieve of reality abstractly...Comunities are good to their members..God is the abstraction of that good...
Quote:

I'm not understanding your logic. What makes you so sure there was a two world dichotomy like that. There were no other variables at work, just those two huh? And what's with the Native Americans and talking about fate? How is that relevant at all? You keep saying the community makes the religion. Alright, I'll agree. How does that show religion has no effect on environment. We can see that it clearly does make a difference in how people behave, so whether it was all conceived by men doesn't matter. The fact that religion played a major role in history is undeniable. So why is the idea of religion being one of the variables that allowed humanity to better survive such an abomination in your eyes? It has lasted all this time, it must have had some benefit at some time. Why is that such a scary concept?

Back when I actually wanted to be a writer, I thought the key to being successful would be the ability to communicate with the limbic, the primitive and primeaval in the minds of men... On this course I read much of magic, and more of myths, and plenty of anthropology, and eventually a lot of history, especially of my native Americans...While I might agree that history has played a part in history, it began far back in prehistory and can be seen alive in the minds of children....But what does that really mean; that religion played a major role in History??? Does that not mean that exactly at the point when humanity should have grown more reasonable that superstition renewed its grip on the throat of mankind???
Quote:

Well you would guess wrong about me being a Muslim. I have no discernible religion. I don't see how the philosophers rejected anthropomorphism. That's like rejecting a style of music. If you mean they rejected it as in the idea that gods are not actual human-like figures, then it serves little purpose as I never claimed otherwise. Also, rituals have many purposes, that does not mean they are not an aid in organizing a community as many rituals require community participation.

I am only telling you what I have learned from a lot of reading of history...The three western religions share a very spiritual view of God in spite of the trinity notion held by many christians... Naturally, this is an old trend among the Jews, very old among Muslims, and Medieval among Christians...At the very point where philosophy was breaking with theology, theology was reaching a point with some of a purely spiritual understanding of God. This happened among the Muslims, and spelled the end of this marvelously philosophical people...When God is conceived of spiritually as everything, the only thing, and speculation upon the nature of God is denied to philosophy, then it dies on the vine...In Islam, philosophy used religion to stab itself in the heart... Once the God was conceived of as a being one could only reach spiritually and through the form of established dogma there was no need of philosophy...

Quote:

Quote:

At what point is any of this suppose to imply religion had no part in aiding human development?

Religion has been a positive poison for human development...The resistence to change of any form is multiplied in religion because it feels so threatened by education and secular knowledge...Why did the Catholic Church resists so strongly the understanding of the copernican universe???Did they think the truth would never come out... Even while Nietzsche was right to blame the church for the notion of individual equality, what did the church actually ever do for democracy as the expression of individual equality...They never taught the Bible because they did not want to open a can of worms, so the enlightenment was the fault of the protestants who taught people to read so they could read the Bible, and rejected irrationality, and found people who could read, read all and turned their rationality into the production of great weapons of war...

Quote:
Does it matter what the original god was in this context. Religion still structured the community. So community created religion, religion still improved it.

Religion as we know it structures larger communities... Catholicism was meant to be world wide... Islam comes closer yet to that goal, mostly because it offers both peace and justice, and supports rather than attacks community values... But, in asking for justice, and letting people make an issue of it, it has in fact limited the wealth of the people and their progress... Capitalism was built on exploitation...If you cannot charge interest, you cannot build capital for example...On the exploitation of the past is built the hope for freedom in the future that is both free of want, and free of inequality...

Only the Jews have limited their number by the nature of their religion... For them there has been no progress beyond a community faith...But it has loaded them with wealth, and justified them, and made them for all others the masters of parasitic capitalism....
0 Replies

Dichanthelium

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2009 03:32 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
What does religion do for people besides giving them a place and purpose in the universe, a simple explanation, and certainty???

Am I correct in assuming that this may be translated as:

"Religion just gives people a place and purpose in the universe, a simple explanation, and certainty."

If so, I think the statement will be hard for you to defend!
Fido

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2009 03:53 pm
@rhinogrey,
On the contrary; easy to defend; and impossible to prove...
Akeem Scribe

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2009 04:58 pm
@Dichanthelium,
Fido wrote:
Akeem; You try to tell me how people of the past were...The past is not so far away that we cannot touch it... And much as we abstract good and evil into God and the devil; in fact, these were always the dicotomy between the near and far, the inside of society and the outside...

We do have some insights into that part of our past. I am not saying that such a dichotomy had no influence on the development of religion. What I am disagreeing with here is the idea that it was the only influence or the most important influence. I believe there were many influences and that nature played just as large a role or larger than the insider/outsider dichotomy.

Fido wrote:
You just cannot understand western culture, tragedy being one example, without being able to see through the eyes of a person scapegoated for sins real, and imagined and driven out of society... WE bulllshit ourselves into thinking we exist apart from our communites... We do not exist apart; and far more than us, ancient people got their identity from their communites and could not think of themselves other than as part of this group or that... Community is so much easier when surrounded by enemies, and we see this in words like ethic which point at custom or character...One reflects honor onto ones people or lays them open to insult and attack... And honor itself was a function of status in community, so that we still say rehabilitate, having the meaning of restored to honor and saying returned to home...

Community is important, but part of the community is religion. I think that it would be a mistake to say that God is the community as in all religions gods are greater than the community. In the Abrahamic religions especially God is seen as the god of everything, not just their community. Religions evolve naturally from the community. The religious dogmas structured the community better than its previous disposition by giving laws for the community on absolute authority. Look at the laws of the Old Testament for example. You don't eat certain things because back then they might have killed you. You don't allow sodomy (sex without the purpose of reproduction) because it would facilitate the transmission of disease and possibly threaten the population. There are laws about land management, marriage, what happens to property after death, punishment for crime. There is no way you cannot tell me at that time creating such a structured system for the community did not help in the development of those communities.

Fido wrote:
God is community, and when the Greeks scapegoated some poor unlucky soul to certain death, it was not for an actual crime, but for a presumed offense of the community against its god, just in case such an offense actually occured, so that the whole community could be on the good side of god, and pure in the sight of god...

I want you to look at your logic here. God is the community, and the community killed people to be on the good side of God. In one breath you equate God with the community, and in the next you equate God to something greater than the community. You can't have it both ways.

Fido wrote:
Look at the Orestian trilogy... Why did Orestes kill his mother???Why did Electra tell him in some accounts that if he did not, that she would...Why did Their Mother kill Agamemnon, and was it for that murder that she was killed??? In fact; she was entitled to kill Agamemnon for he had killed her daughter, her tribe; but she was killed because she defiled the temple, and by extension, the whole community with human blood...Now, she inflated the ego of Agamemnon so he thought he was as good as the god, and went into the temple unwashed, which means he should die, but to kill him there was a crime against the whole community... And this brought dishonor to the whole family as well as the community; so that Electra was married off to a commoner, and thus her rage from the royal blood in her veins...But, to avoid blood feud, no one but Orestes, or some other member of her tribe could kill her, and it is for this reason that Orestes was not punished as guilty, because, while he had done the most terrible crime among ancients, that he had lifted the curse from his community... Look at Oedipus as one who did the opposite, that in killing father, and marrying mother brought a curse onto his whole community...What we normally think of as the lesser crime because it was done out of ignorance was actually the greater crime...

More examples of the community trying to appease something greater than itself, so God cannot be the community as you proclaim to be the case.

Fido wrote:
Religion in no sense is created, but is natural, growing out of community, and out of the human ability to concieve of reality abstractly...Comunities are good to their members..God is the abstraction of that good...

Religion is natural, but its still created by men by their ability to conceive reality abstractly. Also, God is not the abstraction of all that is good because God can do evil. The ancients recognized this. No gods, until Jesus to my understanding, was ever perceived as all good. They all had properties of both good and evil.

Fido wrote:
Back when I actually wanted to be a writer, I thought the key to being successful would be the ability to communicate with the limbic, the primitive and primeaval in the minds of men... On this course I read much of magic, and more of myths, and plenty of anthropology, and eventually a lot of history, especially of my native Americans...While I might agree that history has played a part in history, it began far back in prehistory and can be seen alive in the minds of children....But what does that really mean; that religion played a major role in History??? Does that not mean that exactly at the point when humanity should have grown more reasonable that superstition renewed its grip on the throat of mankind???

It had started in prehistory. That is correct. Yet, religion allows for people to follow common law allowing for larger communities to work together than the simple tribe model. This would mean that it was because of religion that we developed written language, common history, and improved education. We may not have been able to work together in large communities like we grew to be able to do without religion. Today religion may seem simply superstitious to many, but in our early development it was an important aspect of our growth.

Fido wrote:
I am only telling you what I have learned from a lot of reading of history...The three western religions share a very spiritual view of God in spite of the trinity notion held by many christians... Naturally, this is an old trend among the Jews, very old among Muslims, and Medieval among Christians...At the very point where philosophy was breaking with theology, theology was reaching a point with some of a purely spiritual understanding of God. This happened among the Muslims, and spelled the end of this marvelously philosophical people...When God is conceived of spiritually as everything, the only thing, and speculation upon the nature of God is denied to philosophy, then it dies on the vine...In Islam, philosophy used religion to stab itself in the heart... Once the God was conceived of as a being one could only reach spiritually and through the form of established dogma there was no need of philosophy...

OK, so religion has also been detrimental in our development at times. That is something I accept and never argued against. Yet that is not the time in religion I am referring to. I am speaking of when humanity was still very young and civilization was just beginning. At that time I think religion held great value in our development. Which you seem to be arguing against while mentioning the very things that prove my point.

Fido wrote:
Religion has been a positive poison for human development...The resistence to change of any form is multiplied in religion because it feels so threatened by education and secular knowledge...Why did the Catholic Church resists so strongly the understanding of the copernican universe???Did they think the truth would never come out... Even while Nietzsche was right to blame the church for the notion of individual equality, what did the church actually ever do for democracy as the expression of individual equality...They never taught the Bible because they did not want to open a can of worms, so the enlightenment was the fault of the protestants who taught people to read so they could read the Bible, and rejected irrationality, and found people who could read, read all and turned their rationality into the production of great weapons of war...

You are looking into the dark ages of humanity and only pointing out the bad. We could sit here all day and speak of the terrors of religion. What good comes from religion? Have you even bothered to contemplate that?

Religion has been a source of horror and greatness. Religion has a problem with change, often because of the fear that change will remove their authority in some way. Why was it important for religion to have authority? There are issues you are simply skipping over to make your case. And what is wrong with spirituality? To my understanding, spirituality has to do with your own emotional state. Unless of course you are speaking in terms of believing in spirits, then its an argument against superstition. In our current society, superstition has become somewhat obsolete and is not something I am arguing for.

Fido wrote:
Religion as we know it structures larger communities... Catholicism was meant to be world wide... Islam comes closer yet to that goal, mostly because it offers both peace and justice, and supports rather than attacks community values... But, in asking for justice, and letting people make an issue of it, it has in fact limited the wealth of the people and their progress... Capitalism was built on exploitation...If you cannot charge interest, you cannot build capital for example...On the exploitation of the past is built the hope for freedom in the future that is both free of want, and free of inequality...

Only the Jews have limited their number by the nature of their religion... For them there has been no progress beyond a community faith...But it has loaded them with wealth, and justified them, and made them for all others the masters of parasitic capitalism....

Which is kind of my point. Religion structures larger communities. Different religions, different approaches, different results. For better or worse, we would not be the people we are now without religion.

Even beyond its historical importance, through out all time religion has been a means of spirituality in the emotional sense. It gives people a feeling of connectedness to the world around them. There are many reasons people accept a particular religion, but it is almost always associated with the feeling of spiritualism. I consider myself to be quite spiritual though I lack a religion or any superstitious and supernatural belief. I believe the point of religion today is that emotional element and development of community. That in itself is good, though the religion itself may have negative consequences through dogmatic belief.
Dichanthelium

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2009 07:31 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
On the contrary; easy to defend; and impossible to prove...

Okay, here we go...

Your assertion: "Religion just gives people a place and purpose in the universe, a simple explanation, and certainty."

My counter:

1. People already have a place and purpose in the universe. Religion doesn't give that to them. It guides them in their efforts to understand it.

2. Religion is not a simple explanation. Most religions are pretty complex.

3. Religion seldom provides certainty. Witness the enormous diversity within any of the major religions, and it soon becomes clear that, far from providing certainty, religion provides myriad explanations and values. A careful study of religion by the critically-minded individual is more likely to drive one toward radical skepticism rather than certainty.

Perhaps your definition of religion depends on a limited subset, one that is restricted to rather naive forms of religion.
Fido

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2009 06:02 am
@Dichanthelium,
Dichanthelium wrote:
Okay, here we go...

Your assertion: "Religion just gives people a place and purpose in the universe, a simple explanation, and certainty."

My counter:

Quote:
1. People already have a place and purpose in the universe. Religion doesn't give that to them. It guides them in their efforts to understand it.
You are wrong... Christianity has always put man dead center in the universe, God's little school project... Other religions do the same, and in fact, all spiritual understanding does that... You cannot classify on thing, as every form does without giveing a reference to every other in space or time or mind...

Quote:
2. Religion is not a simple explanation. Most religions are pretty complex.
In a sense they are all complex, and yet quite simple... Do you think it is less complex for a person to believe that every object, animal and natural has a spirit, than to believe that only God and his angels apart from humanity has spirit???Yet we do not understand them by their differences, but by their form, their common quality after which their differences only distinguish them...Religion as a form is pretty useless...You cannot count on your prayers being answered no matter for what cause you pray...As a form of relationship it gives a great window into the human mind, and human behavior...As in all times, what people are they cannot change, and instead, they change their forms, like religion so the trail of discarded forms marks their progress...

Quote:
3. Religion seldom provides certainty. Witness the enormous diversity within any of the major religions, and it soon becomes clear that, far from providing certainty, religion provides myriad explanations and values. A careful study of religion by the critically-minded individual is more likely to drive one toward radical skepticism rather than certainty.
You are looking at very recent changes, and judging the egg by the chick... Copernicus delivered his treatese on the revolution of the spheres to the pope fifty years after Columbus discovered the new world...It was 1517 when Luther nailed his 95 thesis..The world changes and religon changes with it, but it has never failed to tell believers how it is, and who you can believe even while making a fool of itself in the process...I agree that no one can look at the thing objectively without being torn alternately with laughter and gas; but who can really approach the subject objectively... It is given to children when their lives are already suffering superstition and magic...Children have no more rational explanations for reality than did our primitive ancestors...

Quote:
Perhaps your definition of religion depends on a limited subset, one that is restricted to rather naive forms of religion.

Not in the least... I know best Christianity, but have read of all the western religions, and I am aware of the Eastern religions...In addition, I have looked hard at primitive beliefs and behavior..
Fido

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2009 07:22 am
@Akeem Scribe,
Quote:

Akeem Scribe wrote:
We do have some insights into that part of our past. I am not saying that such a dichotomy had no influence on the development of religion. What I am disagreeing with here is the idea that it was the only influence or the most important influence. I believe there were many influences and that nature played just as large a role or larger than the insider/outsider dichotomy.

I am not saying religion is possible without the ability to form concepts which makes us human... Yet, in a world filled up with spirits as people once conceived it, those of ancestors, dead parents and friend held a high place, and spoke to people through their memories... That was their community, and to many, if not all, only their people were human beings and all other people were some species of animal...You must understand that those people could not objectify their ideas or emotions...You can see in the behavior of people the great changes occuring in their psychology...Were we suddenly in that moment of time, say in the stone, or bronze age, people might all seem quite schizophrenic, hearing and responding to voices in their minds as though outside of themselves... And yet their sense of personal power and fate would be entirely different...A single hair off your head, or possession of your name might give a person the power of life or death over you... We do no less with our forms today, thinking of the concept of a thing as the same as the thing, so that if we thread a conceptual needle with a conceptual thread we can sew a conceptual patch on a conceptual shirt.... We can consider objectively and are given a power over our reality... They considered their concepts subjectively, as giving them a power over their reality as well...To their minds that power was spiritual, and no less, but more powerful than our understanding of forms, which is practical and not spiritual...
Quote:

Community is important, but part of the community is religion. I think that it would be a mistake to say that God is the community as in all religions gods are greater than the community. In the Abrahamic religions especially God is seen as the god of everything, not just their community. Religions evolve naturally from the community. The religious dogmas structured the community better than its previous disposition by giving laws for the community on absolute authority. Look at the laws of the Old Testament for example. You don't eat certain things because back then they might have killed you. You don't allow sodomy (sex without the purpose of reproduction) because it would facilitate the transmission of disease and possibly threaten the population. There are laws about land management, marriage, what happens to property after death, punishment for crime. There is no way you cannot tell me at that time creating such a structured system for the community did not help in the development of those communities.

Yes; I can say that laws built upon authority instead of common sense have torn societies apart...The ten Commandments built a strong community and the other Jewish laws tore the society to pieces...Jesus continually pointed to the ways the laws condemned Judah...Law is just a form, and there has never been found a way that some people will not turn forms to their advantage as individuals and against the interests of the whole community... Look at the world of Jesus...People were bringing law suits for a man's shirt... People would fight over a days wage in a vineyard... When Titus raised Jeruselem he took so much wealth out of there that he could build the Colloseum, which was an emmense building project...That was one city that because of its monopoly on religious sacrifice could suck the wealth out of the whole society... That form destroyed its society, and after, Judaism was forever changed...

Quote:

I want you to look at your logic here. God is the community, and the community killed people to be on the good side of God. In one breath you equate God with the community, and in the next you equate God to something greater than the community. You can't have it both ways.

Your logic is at fault in that you are trying to apply your logic to another age... God is the community, and for the community, the life of the community, every individual life is meaningless... In fact, all primitives has no concept of the individual as we do, which is the result of much law and philosophy... Among primitives there was universal group responsibility, and the whole community might suffer for the crime of a single individual, so that morality was community, and law was community... And in many respects, that system worked better than what we have...Can you argue that we do not hold the whole black community responsible for the crimes of a few, and is this fair since they have no community control??? The community, and the community spirit represented by god, was greater than any individual... They all knew what was right, and they all feared the danger of doing wrong, which they objectified into an angry and justice seeking god...
Quote:

More examples of the community trying to appease something greater than itself, so God cannot be the community as you proclaim to be the case.

Is not your family greater than itself??? Does it not represent the dreams and inspirations of dead members and members not yet born???Community is a certain organic unit, a dynamic, a form, and a dream...
Quote:

Religion is natural, but its still created by men by their ability to conceive reality abstractly. Also, God is not the abstraction of all that is good because God can do evil. The ancients recognized this. No gods, until Jesus to my understanding, was ever perceived as all good. They all had properties of both good and evil.

To primitives there was only the force of nature as a power outside of themselves... Even today we abstract good and evil when these are qualities we all share... But it was essential to primitives to get some control over the events of nature, and this they first tried to do with magic which was mostly sympathetic, and symbolic..But long term, the ability to concieve of nature, and spirits, and even self abstractly was the first step toward science, because in all is the looking for cause from a certain effect, so that magic with efficacy was soon abandoned...
Quote:

It had started in prehistory. That is correct. Yet, religion allows for people to follow common law allowing for larger communities to work together than the simple tribe model. This would mean that it was because of religion that we developed written language, common history, and improved education. We may not have been able to work together in large communities like we grew to be able to do without religion. Today religion may seem simply superstitious to many, but in our early development it was an important aspect of our growth.

When law was custom/ethic within a small community, and only your communities had power over you, or gave you rights, then warfare, such as it was, was a small thing... When one people came to dominate another you have the beginning of law, laid down by the victor for the victim, which is essential to civilizations...Then ask why no civilizations could survive??? It is because of such forms as law and religion, that once people have they are ruined by, and because when they are in them, and raised up in them, they cannot see through them...Certainly civilizations allow for great periods and areas of peace in which knowledge can grow up... Then look at how much is lost when the barbarains sweep in and use all the books for fire wood...If societies, civilizations, do not learn to stay vital, to adapt their forms to give justice, and to keep wealth and poverty general, and to spread education and peace far and wide, then they are doomed... Individuals use forms to their own benefit, and corrupt those they can to enrich themselves... And in the process they kill their societies...
Quote:

OK, so religion has also been detrimental in our development at times. That is something I accept and never argued against. Yet that is not the time in religion I am referring to. I am speaking of when humanity was still very young and civilization was just beginning. At that time I think religion held great value in our development. Which you seem to be arguing against while mentioning the very things that prove my point.

As a psychological advance it is great...To the extent that it became a rigid form making a class of priests powerful and rich it was bad...
Quote:

You are looking into the dark ages of humanity and only pointing out the bad. We could sit here all day and speak of the terrors of religion. What good comes from religion? Have you even bothered to contemplate that?

Science and philosophy grow out of religion...
Quote:

Religion has been a source of horror and greatness. Religion has a problem with change, often because of the fear that change will remove their authority in some way. Why was it important for religion to have authority? There are issues you are simply skipping over to make your case. And what is wrong with spirituality? To my understanding, spirituality has to do with your own emotional state. Unless of course you are speaking in terms of believing in spirits, then its an argument against superstition. In our current society, superstition has become somewhat obsolete and is not something I am arguing for.

I already answered this in regard to forms... Sprituality is the first step toward formal reasoning...No one should stop with the first step..
Quote:
Which is kind of my point. Religion structures larger communities. Different religions, different approaches, different results. For better or worse, we would not be the people we are now without religion.

Agreed...But at this point I would expect us to be better...
Quote:
Even beyond its historical importance, through out all time religion has been a means of spirituality in the emotional sense. It gives people a feeling of connectedness to the world around them. There are many reasons people accept a particular religion, but it is almost always associated with the feeling of spiritualism. I consider myself to be quite spiritual though I lack a religion or any superstitious and supernatural belief. I believe the point of religion today is that emotional element and development of community. That in itself is good, though the religion itself may have negative consequences through dogmatic belief.

No one can be completely free of it...Sprituality is the default setting..
Aedes

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2009 09:53 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
Sprituality is the default setting..
Only by virtue of our cultural inheritance. You have no way of proving that we're inherently spiritual. What you DO know is that everyone on earth comes from a line of ancestry that lacked systematic rational thought until very recent history.
0 Replies

Akeem Scribe

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2009 01:06 pm
@Fido,
Fido, the more we talk about this the more we seem to agree, there are only a few things we're still in disagreement of. I accept that community was an important influence on religion, and that you're implications of its importance is mostly correct. There are a couple things I want to point out ant talk of still yet.

Fido wrote:
That was their community, and to many, if not all, only their people were human beings and all other people were some species of animal...

I don't agree with this. There has always been warnings about those outside the community. Yet we can see different communities had contact with one another. There is too much similarities between the different religions. They must have traded with one another and stories of their religions were shared and borrowed from one another. Why manipulate your religious ideas with stories from the religions of animals?

Fido wrote:
You must understand that those people could not objectify their ideas or emotions...You can see in the behavior of people the great changes occuring in their psychology...Were we suddenly in that moment of time, say in the stone, or bronze age, people might all seem quite schizophrenic, hearing and responding to voices in their minds as though outside of themselves... And yet their sense of personal power and fate would be entirely different...A single hair off your head, or possession of your name might give a person the power of life or death over you... We do no less with our forms today, thinking of the concept of a thing as the same as the thing, so that if we thread a conceptual needle with a conceptual thread we can sew a conceptual patch on a conceptual shirt.... We can consider objectively and are given a power over our reality... They considered their concepts subjectively, as giving them a power over their reality as well...To their minds that power was spiritual, and no less, but more powerful than our understanding of forms, which is practical and not spiritual...

I agree with this, I'm not going to argue against known historical fact.

Fido wrote:
I can say that laws built upon authority instead of common sense have torn societies apart...The ten Commandments built a strong community and the other Jewish laws tore the society to pieces...Jesus continually pointed to the ways the laws condemned Judah...Law is just a form, and there has never been found a way that some people will not turn forms to their advantage as individuals and against the interests of the whole community... Look at the world of Jesus...People were bringing law suits for a man's shirt... People would fight over a days wage in a vineyard... When Titus raised Jeruselem he took so much wealth out of there that he could build the Colloseum, which was an emmense building project...That was one city that because of its monopoly on religious sacrifice could suck the wealth out of the whole society... That form destroyed its society, and after, Judaism was forever changed...

Again I agree with you. Elements of any law, including those based on common sense, have the ability to tear communities apart. Does not mean those same laws didn't help build the community up in the first place.

Fido wrote:
Your logic is at fault in that you are trying to apply your logic to another age... God is the community, and for the community, the life of the community, every individual life is meaningless... In fact, all primitives has no concept of the individual as we do, which is the result of much law and philosophy... Among primitives there was universal group responsibility, and the whole community might suffer for the crime of a single individual, so that morality was community, and law was community... And in many respects, that system worked better than what we have...Can you argue that we do not hold the whole black community responsible for the crimes of a few, and is this fair since they have no community control??? The community, and the community spirit represented by god, was greater than any individual... They all knew what was right, and they all feared the danger of doing wrong, which they objectified into an angry and justice seeking god...

Is not your family greater than itself??? Does it not represent the dreams and inspirations of dead members and members not yet born???Community is a certain organic unit, a dynamic, a form, and a dream...

I don't think my logic is flawed here. The concept of family already entails the dreams and inspirations of dead members and members not yet born. So no, my family is not greater than itself. Same as the community cannot be greater than itself. Since God is greater than the community, though God can incorporate the community, there must be something more that makes God greater.

Fido wrote:
To primitives there was only the force of nature as a power outside of themselves... Even today we abstract good and evil when these are qualities we all share... But it was essential to primitives to get some control over the events of nature, and this they first tried to do with magic which was mostly sympathetic, and symbolic..But long term, the ability to concieve of nature, and spirits, and even self abstractly was the first step toward science, because in all is the looking for cause from a certain effect, so that magic with efficacy was soon abandoned...

And there you said it. "To primitives there was only the force of nature as a power outside of themselves." Do you not think that played part in religion, or that it has no bearing on the concept of gods? Primitives would invoke the name of God to control nature. Does this not show that gods must be more than the community in their eyes.

Fido wrote:
When law was custom/ethic within a small community, and only your communities had power over you, or gave you rights, then warfare, such as it was, was a small thing... When one people came to dominate another you have the beginning of law, laid down by the victor for the victim, which is essential to civilizations...Then ask why no civilizations could survive??? It is because of such forms as law and religion, that once people have they are ruined by, and because when they are in them, and raised up in them, they cannot see through them...Certainly civilizations allow for great periods and areas of peace in which knowledge can grow up... Then look at how much is lost when the barbarains sweep in and use all the books for fire wood...If societies, civilizations, do not learn to stay vital, to adapt their forms to give justice, and to keep wealth and poverty general, and to spread education and peace far and wide, then they are doomed... Individuals use forms to their own benefit, and corrupt those they can to enrich themselves... And in the process they kill their societies...

Completely agree, but I still think religion, despite its downfalls, still deserves some credit for creating those societies to begin with.

Fido wrote:
Science and philosophy grow out of religion...

Sprituality is the first step toward formal reasoning...No one should stop with the first step..

At this point I would expect us to be better...

So would you agree, that despite whatever you may hold against religion today, that religion deserves credit for advancing our species in the past?

Fido wrote:
No one can be completely free of it...Sprituality is the default setting..

Not sure I agree with that. Spirituality wasn't my default, its something that was brought forward after years of study and a recognition of the awe I felt looking on the world with some understanding.
0 Replies

Dichanthelium

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2009 03:45 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
I know best Christianity, but have read of all the western religions, and I am aware of the Eastern religions...In addition, I have looked hard at primitive beliefs and behavior..

My counter:
Quote:
Fido wrote:
You are wrong... Christianity has always put man dead center in the universe, God's little school project... Other religions do the same, and in fact, all spiritual understanding does that... You cannot classify on thing, as every form does without giveing a reference to every other in space or time or mind...

Fido, on this first point, I don't mean to be overly critical, but your answer does not provide an argument to support your claim. It only makes similar new assertions. I think your presupposition is that people don't have a place and purpose in the universe. For all I know you may be right, but what do you mean and what are your proofs? Assuming that, you then further imply that "religion" (maybe you will provide your definition here) fabricates something for all these people. Where are your proofs? For all I know you may be right, but how would you support your assertions? The sweeping generalizations that follow are unjustified, seeing that you admit your lack of familiarity with the broad topic. You have "read of" and are "aware of" and have "looked hard" at...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2009 04:06 pm
@rhinogrey,
Dic; if you do not believe me, look a Ptolemy's Universe... The idea and some proof was put forward in the time of the Greeks for a sun centered universe, and long after they had objective evidence otherwise the Church held onto to ptolemy... Why??? It made men large and made God small... What else could we ask for??? IN fact, People have always resisted science for the very reason that it made God more distant... The tower of babble was just a tower... Jacob's ladder was just a ladder... Jack's beanstalk was just a beanstalk... As we have grown smarter, heaven has grown more distant, and God, more powerful... Do we like a God we cannot bribe with burnt offerings or human sacrifices??? I don't think we do... I think we really want a God a puny as ourselves..Philosophy has safely removed God from the realm of rational discourse...It is not possible to remove God from his seat of power in the firmament or in the hearts of the willing...

Oh!!! And I will not argue with you... I will tell you what I see suggested by myths.. sociology, anthropology, psychology, theology, and history as I understand them.. I will support what I can of the opinions I have formed; but a word to the wise is usally enough when all the words in the dictionary will not sway a dimwit...
Dichanthelium

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2009 04:20 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
Dic; if you do not believe me, look a Ptolemy's Universe... but a word to the wise is usally enough when all the words in the dictionary will not sway a dimwit...

I find it odd that you post in a philosophy forum without philosophizing, but, you have the last word. Peace to you.
-D.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2009 05:25 pm
@rhinogrey,
Well; If I do in fact have the last word, then let me suggest that philosophy is a tree one climbs by its branches...All those studies I mentioned and more, are branches of philosophy, and more too excepting theology, which brings too many preconceptions to the search for knowledge...Any one should be able to tell I am not educated...I do own a library that would make most scholars proud... And each branch of knowledge paints another picture of mankind...I do not regret having been drawn into philosophy from many other studies... Too me, that is the proper approach...How can it be any other way??? Even if one begins with philosophy one is always drawn to the branches of philosophy before getting back to the trunk...Knowledge will always be limited, and no more so than when we speak of the past... But, understanding is more essential than knowledge, and insight is more essential to philosophy than proof... When you have read enough of varied subjects your mind will begin to work on its own, and you will begin to draw your own conclusions for which you will then seek support... But I intend to prove nothing... I will be happy to share conclusions and point people in a certain direction... But I am not educated... I am well read and experienced; all of which counts for nothing with truly educated people... Were I to write a book, I would want it heavily footnoted, and well researched; but I would consider the activity practically pointless because the educated listen to the educated and justly so, as I do myself...And since I have read most of what I say from widely varied sources, I doubt my conclusion or insights are all that original... Yet, I will still express myself because I have an encyclopaedic sort of knowledge, which may give some younger people the sense of the great raft of knowledge one may sail away on...And people should read, varied, and very much... Reason needs many links of knowledge to be of much use... Knowledge is essential to philosophy as faith is essential to theology... There is no substitute for knowledge.. The best insight based upon little knowledge is of little worth...
0 Replies

Lonewolf

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 08:19 pm
@rhinogrey,
Hi!

I would suggest some reading on the continental philosophers such as Heidegger, Nietzsche, Kierkegaard and so on; maybe getting a viewpoint from the speculative side of philosophy would give some fresh insight?
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 08:55 pm
@rhinogrey,
To whom do you post???
0 Replies

Lonewolf

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 09:21 pm
@rhinogrey,
The post was directed to Rhinogrey,

Apologies as I had not realised this topic was started way back in late March.

Anyway, to the question of religion in philosophy, a perspective from 'Analytical Philosophy' should be a tough one because it is indeed hard to put elements of religion into clear and concise logic and equations.

Hence I would suggest looking from another angle, another perspective of western philosophy; a continental/ speculative one. The perspective of philosophy that deals more with mythology, poetry and literature; and see if one can find clues to the answer that he seeks.

cheers!
0 Replies