Analytic Philosophy has missed the point of religion

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2009 08:38 pm
I can't get behind the current state of the debate about religion, specifically about knowledge of the existence of God. I've had Alvin Plantinga's "reformed epistemology" drilled into my brain more times than I care to remember. I've heard the arguments from evil and all this nonsense. The Baysian probability about which "default" position a person is justified and warranted to take, blah blah.

But it's only so much intellectual posturing. Religion is not about calculating the most "probable" position to take ("Hmmmm... what do I think about God? Well, let's see...the chances of atheism being more justified than theism is .3% blah blah"....it's absurd) Faith, religion, belief in God...all of this is a matter in the domain of the human experience that is the opposite of analytic, and our philosophical investigation into the matter has, in the past twenty or so years, become laughably masturbatory as it ignores this truth. Experience has proven to me that there are two sides to every coin, a light for every dark, a high for every low, and all the rest. So why do we ignore this in our philosophy? For every analytic thought there is an intuition, an impulse...and the latter is where religion lay. Back in the day of Spinoza, of Hume, of Kierkegaard...there was still a sense of that search, of trying to come to terms with the search itself. Nowadays it's a show of back and forth "nyah nyah I'm right and I'll prove it mathematically." There'll never be satisfaction in it, it is a means to no end.

So, what, we just trust our intuitions and don't philosophize about religion, then? --quite the contrary. What we need to realize is the search itself, that natural inclination to ask the very question...that instinct of our cognitive faculties to ponder and sit in awe...this is what we need to be philosophizing about. Why can't we accept the subjective relativity of the spiritual conclusions a subjective agent comes to and begin to investigate the mechanisms by which that agent comes to those conclusions? We should celebrate the diversity of the conclusions and attempt to discover the secret of the universality of the search itself.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,409 • Replies: 37
No top replies

ddancom

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2009 12:20 am
@rhinogrey,
I've always viewed religious debate as the reflection of an innate internal struggle; A struggle between emotion and reason. It's only natural that logicians would use logic (and side with reason).
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2009 11:26 am
@rhinogrey,
There is no point to religion...It is all middle and no end...
Aedes

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2009 11:39 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
It is all middle and no end...
I thought it was all beginning and end but no middle... The beginning is revelations, creation events, narratives, and moral dictates. The end is eschatology.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2009 02:06 pm
@rhinogrey,
I would have to look it up, but a quote once read tried to point out the impossibility of eternity, of having a present without beginning or end... Since eternity seem the object of religion, the thought seems appropriate...I have it, and I am certain the other guy said it better...
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2009 02:36 pm
@rhinogrey,
The impossibility of eternity doesn't negate the fact that religions start with their documents / stories / principles and end with an ultimate state of being -- be it the book of life, paradise, nirvana, or armageddon.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2009 03:48 pm
@rhinogrey,
I know all that, but it is just cause... Which no one ever gets away with telling a kid... Kids need to know, and even if the story they hear is all blow, it serves a practical purpose...I may be required to know that all people have their creation myths...I am not required to give them any more weight than they have on the scale of truth...The purpose is simple... To make some one quit asking and get back to work... Those who sat around star gazing while chores were left undone ran out of existence pretty fast... For ancient humanity, any answer was better than no answer, because an answer ended pointless questions...Even for us, pointless speculation is a waste of time...If we cannot prove any of the possibilities we speculate upon we have lost time, which is all we have with life... We have to deal with realities... Moral realities present enough problems with tests and proofs...In the end we can suggest answers, and observe results and behavior; but truth eludes us...
Dichanthelium

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2009 04:19 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
I know all that, but it is just cause... Which no one ever gets away with telling a kid... Kids need to know, and even if the story they hear is all blow, it serves a practical purpose...I may be required to know that all people have their creation myths...I am not required to give them any more weight than they have on the scale of truth...The purpose is simple... To make some one quit asking and get back to work... Those who sat around star gazing while chores were left undone ran out of existence pretty fast... For ancient humanity, any answer was better than no answer, because an answer ended pointless questions...Even for us, pointless speculation is a waste of time...If we cannot prove any of the possibilities we speculate upon we have lost time, which is all we have with life... We have to deal with realities... Moral realities present enough problems with tests and proofs...In the end we can suggest answers, and observe results and behavior; but truth eludes us...

Inuendo, without specificity. What's your point?
tehdoc809

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2009 06:35 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
There is no point to religion...It is all middle and no end...

I get what Fido is trying to say, I think

The focus of most religions is eternity with no explination of beginning or end. We started in eternity when "God" decided to make us and we will end in eternity when we die (ideally).

Therefore, Religion is the middle (tells us how to get to eternity) and no end, or beginning (because its eternity).

But personally I've always thought the point of (organized)religion was social control with a side of moral standards. Which has now evolved into race to see who has the best (right) religion. Which Ironically stops people from see the truth that we could get along if we stopped complaning about religion.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2009 09:14 pm
@Dichanthelium,
Dichanthelium wrote:
Inuendo, without specificity. What's your point?

After I wrote that I went down in the basement, and did a quick scan on the beginnings of the three Claud Levi-Strauss... I was looking for a simple statement of commonality between all myths, one of which is to tell how things got to be the way they are... Like how the bear got his tail, or how the frog got on the moon... I did find a reference to honey, as borderline poison, but understandable also as social poison, which is my take on it...I only say that because I tore the books up once looking for that reference, so there is hope that at some future point I will find what I am looking for in this case...

When I look at the past, I consider people as traveling light...If people have a story explaining events, why not another??? And yet, when people settle upon a certain story, possitive and negative elements may be changed but the flow of the story remains the same, perhaps because language remains a stabile form over many generations... In any event, the explanations people hold to reflect a specific need we have to know, even if our certainty is only a mask for ignorance... I would rather have honest ignorance any day...

I remember receiving the story of original sin to explain both my chicken pox, and not being able to go sledding with my brothers... At the time I took it as unfair in the extreme... What did I do??? What did anyone do??? Punishment first with life, and cause after, and who does not end life fit to be hanged???
Dichanthelium

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2009 03:21 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
After I wrote that I went down in the basement, and did a quick scan on the beginnings of the three Claud Levi-Strauss... I was looking for a simple statement of commonality between all myths, one of which is to tell how things got to be the way they are... Like how the bear got his tail, or how the frog got on the moon... I did find a reference to honey, as borderline poison, but understandable also as social poison, which is my take on it...I only say that because I tore the books up once looking for that reference, so there is hope that at some future point I will find what I am looking for in this case...

When I look at the past, I consider people as traveling light...If people have a story explaining events, why not another??? And yet, when people settle upon a certain story, possitive and negative elements may be changed but the flow of the story remains the same, perhaps because language remains a stabile form over many generations... In any event, the explanations people hold to reflect a specific need we have to know, even if our certainty is only a mask for ignorance... I would rather have honest ignorance any day...

I remember receiving the story of original sin to explain both my chicken pox, and not being able to go sledding with my brothers... At the time I took it as unfair in the extreme... What did I do??? What did anyone do??? Punishment first with life, and cause after, and who does not end life fit to be hanged???

It's really interesting, and I think I might even agree with you, at least in part, but I'm still not sure what you are trying to say, or how it relates to the topic. If you could summarize your point with one clear statement, what would it be?
Fido

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2009 07:24 am
@Dichanthelium,
Dichanthelium wrote:
It's really interesting, and I think I might even agree with you, at least in part, but I'm still not sure what you are trying to say, or how it relates to the topic. If you could summarize your point with one clear statement, what would it be?

Will you settle for a question???

What does religion do for people besides giving them a place and purpose in the universe, a simple explanation, and certainty???

For ancient people, myths serve a very utilitarian purpose, that the truth serves as well as a false answer, of providing an answer, so naturally wandering minds can concentrate on the practical problems of life...I would urge anyone looking at myths to look at a good history of Greek philosophy... It is clear, that early on, without the slightest means to prove their speculation, except reason, that they came up with creditable theories for the cosmos, clearly dispensing of God or Gods as cause of all existence.... Given a chance, as easy wealth and slave labor did; people turn their reason to the skies, to time, to minutia, to the cosmos when without time and technology, such stargazing would be suicide...

The obvious point of religion is not the beginning and the end of time which it gives to us on a platter....It is the middle, our lives in perspective, our morality, how to treat each other and behave, our purpose, and a sense of our beginning and end...To those who work, life is long; but to those who wonder life is short... Religion gives a long life by keeping us working..
Fido

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2009 09:54 am
@rhinogrey,
There is a reason we are clinging to our guns and our religion... New forms are failing us, but they have not replaced the old forms completely... People need something that works and the failed forms of a bygone age which never worked in their day will not replace the failed forms of today... People need a new form, and a new understanding, and all the new relationships that go with both... Religion has always been a source of division.. The present form divides people... And the people are really looking for a common point of agreement upon which we can build and nation...
0 Replies

MJA

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2009 10:45 am
@rhinogrey,
rhinogrey wrote:
I can't get behind the current state of the debate about religion, specifically about knowledge of the existence of God. I've had Alvin Plantinga's "reformed epistemology" drilled into my brain more times than I care to remember. I've heard the arguments from evil and all this nonsense. The Baysian probability about which "default" position a person is justified and warranted to take, blah blah.

But it's only so much intellectual posturing. Religion is not about calculating the most "probable" position to take ("Hmmmm... what do I think about God? Well, let's see...the chances of atheism being more justified than theism is .3% blah blah"....it's absurd) Faith, religion, belief in God...all of this is a matter in the domain of the human experience that is the opposite of analytic, and our philosophical investigation into the matter has, in the past twenty or so years, become laughably masturbatory as it ignores this truth. Experience has proven to me that there are two sides to every coin, a light for every dark, a high for every low, and all the rest. So why do we ignore this in our philosophy? For every analytic thought there is an intuition, an impulse...and the latter is where religion lay. Back in the day of Spinoza, of Hume, of Kierkegaard...there was still a sense of that search, of trying to come to terms with the search itself. Nowadays it's a show of back and forth "nyah nyah I'm right and I'll prove it mathematically." There'll never be satisfaction in it, it is a means to no end.

So, what, we just trust our intuitions and don't philosophize about religion, then? --quite the contrary. What we need to realize is the search itself, that natural inclination to ask the very question...that instinct of our cognitive faculties to ponder and sit in awe...this is what we need to be philosophizing about. Why can't we accept the subjective relativity of the spiritual conclusions a subjective agent comes to and begin to investigate the mechanisms by which that agent comes to those conclusions? We should celebrate the diversity of the conclusions and attempt to discover the secret of the universality of the search itself.

The different side of a coin that you see are united by the oneness of the coin.
God or All is One that Way too, no matter again the differences you see.

=
MJA
Akeem Scribe

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2009 01:42 pm
@MJA,
I must agree that analytic philosophy has largely misunderstood religion. It was religion that brought us the kind of community consensus that allowed humanity evolve from animals that use sticks and stones as tools to the state we are currently in by acting as a form of government. I believe we owe religion at least some gratitude for this. At the very least we owe religion some recognition as a driving force in our cultural evolution. It is also true that today it has become a battleground for who has the best or true religion. I believe that in response to this both the logicians and the religious have forgotten the what religion is meant to offer. More than a mere facility for government, more than mere community, religion is meant to bring people closer to God, or their gods. Arguably, I would say that all gods are reference to nature, though that is a bit of a tangent. The analytical argument against the existence of God depends on a narrow perspective of what God must be. The kind god described in such analytical arguments I think are disbelieved for good reason. Yet I don't think that is the same kind of god most people worship whether they realize it themselves or not. At best the analytical argument is an argument against properties many believe God to have.
Fido

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2009 03:37 pm
@Akeem Scribe,
Akeem Scribe wrote:
I must agree that analytic philosophy has largely misunderstood religion. It was religion that brought us the kind of community consensus that allowed humanity evolve from animals that use sticks and stones as tools to the state we are currently in by acting as a form of government. I believe we owe religion at least some gratitude for this. At the very least we owe religion some recognition as a driving force in our cultural evolution. It is also true that today it has become a battleground for who has the best or true religion. I believe that in response to this both the logicians and the religious have forgotten the what religion is meant to offer. More than a mere facility for government, more than mere community, religion is meant to bring people closer to God, or their gods. Arguably, I would say that all gods are reference to nature, though that is a bit of a tangent. The analytical argument against the existence of God depends on a narrow perspective of what God must be. The kind god described in such analytical arguments I think are disbelieved for good reason. Yet I don't think that is the same kind of god most people worship whether they realize it themselves or not. At best the analytical argument is an argument against properties many believe God to have.

I do not accept that religion brought us the kind of community, etc... Rather, the ability to conceive of god was part of the general ability to conceive of reality abstractly that makes us human... Does it matter if God exists??? Not as concerns our ability to conceive of god, however vaguely as a force behind this universe...
As far a community goes; that is natural...Every family is a community, and it is out of navels that we have our nations...And it is out of family that we have religion...Look what part geneology plays in Genesis...Look at what part father plays in our religion...Many people worship their ancestors... Why not??? Since their smart moves brought humanity to its present point...
Akeem Scribe

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2009 06:05 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
I do not accept that religion brought us the kind of community, etc... Rather, the ability to conceive of god was part of the general ability to conceive of reality abstractly that makes us human.

I agree that the ability humans have to conceive reality abstractly is a definite component, yet I would say that such an ability has consequences, which for humanity resulted in religion.

Our ancestors would have been in awe of the things they witnessed. They would have been thankful that they were able to experience life. But life was unpredictable. Within their communities they must have experienced love, kindness, family. They were greatly thankful that they could find food when they were hungry. Yet they resented being hungry. Life was sometimes cruel. Whatever they were thankful to must also exhibit these less humane qualities. The world around them was as complex and unpredictable as the human experience, so whatever it is must be similar to how they were. Humans conceptualized how to describe this and invented beings with somewhat human characteristics. Rituals and myths evolved over time, stories containing moral codes for the community appeared. By various means these rituals brought opportunity for the entire community to come together. From whence came the kind of group focus that allowed us to enhance our overall understanding of the world around us and build civilizations. I am giving credit where it is due. That is all.

Fido wrote:
Does it matter if God exists??? Not as concerns our ability to conceive of god, however vaguely as a force behind this universe...

Depends on how one conceptualizes God. By God, I assume you mean the God of the Bible. I would personally say that particular god is an anthropomorphic symbolic character prominent in the Abrahamic religions. And that he exists only as a metaphor to something that does exist. I in no way think there is the equivalent to a sky daddy in the heavens. I highly doubt that prayer or magick rituals will do anything except maybe give people a sense of control in situations where they have none.

Fido wrote:
As far a community goes; that is natural...Every family is a community, and it is out of navels that we have our nations...And it is out of family that we have religion.

If religion comes from family, and nations are from families, why would religion not play its role in nations? Especially when it obviously has. Separating religion and politics is a rather new concept. I have said nothing that is not a natural process. I am saying religion is part of the natural process and that it helped us in our evolution to the status quo.

Fido wrote:
Look what part geneology plays in Genesis...Look at what part father plays in our religionMany people worship their ancestors... Why not??? Since their smart moves brought humanity to its present point...

I don't quite understand what your point was here. I'm all for people being reverent to their ancestors. I didn't even say anything about ancestor worship. Thinking they're going to do good things for me after they've been dead probably is not something I'll be endorsing any time soon, but they spent their lives building us up. I understand respect. Which is exactly what I am trying to say of religion and the concept of gods.
Fido

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2009 08:11 pm
@Akeem Scribe,
Quote:
Akeem Scribe wrote:
I agree that the ability humans have to conceive reality abstractly is a definite component, yet I would say that such an ability has consequences, which for humanity resulted in religion.

So let us agree to disagree...Is see it as an extension of the same quality; that the ability to concieve of reality allow the conception of unreality... It is not relgion that naturally forms a community, but the reverse, that the comunity is the religion... At least until Christianity attempted to make a single world community out of a single belief...Before that time, every community had its own god, like Athens had Athena...
Quote:
Our ancestors would have been in awe of the things they witnessed. They would have been thankful that they were able to experience life. But life was unpredictable. Within their communities they must have experienced love, kindness, family. They were greatly thankful that they could find food when they were hungry. Yet they resented being hungry. Life was sometimes cruel. Whatever they were thankful to must also exhibit these less humane qualities. The world around them was as complex and unpredictable as the human experience, so whatever it is must be similar to how they were. Humans conceptualized how to describe this and invented beings with somewhat human characteristics. Rituals and myths evolved over time, stories containing moral codes for the community appeared. By various means these rituals brought opportunity for the entire community to come together. From whence came the kind of group focus that allowed us to enhance our overall understanding of the world around us and build civilizations. I am giving credit where it is due. That is all.

There were two worlds to primitive people; the one within community and the one without... For that reason community was morality, just as today, we are only as much a part of any community as we accept the morality...Primitives never much bewailed their fates, which they very much accepted, as some people still do...In fact, it was often an excuse for mercy, so that if people guilty of bloodshed could escape while blood was hot, they might escape with their lives for a payment of blood money...This was possible because, while the guilt of the killer was undeniable, every one agreed with the universal power of fate, that no man could take a life unless that person were doomed... So people could accept murder and not add one death to another...In fact, they were accepting even of their own deaths, which, if one could judge by the Native American could last for days under the most cruel torture... No hard feelings...Wait till my people get you, and then it will be your turn, and be brave, like I am... In fact, they were always encouraging... And having worked some many times with Native Americans; they still are, even when it is cold and miserable, and sleet is running down your shirt collar...That is one the things I loved about them: Never a discouraging word...It is because the notion of fate cannot be argued with, and no point in crying...

Quote:
Depends on how one conceptualizes God. By God, I assume you mean the God of the Bible. I would personally say that particular god is an anthropomorphic symbolic character prominent in the Abrahamic religions. And that he exists only as a metaphor to something that does exist. I in no way think there is the equivalent to a sky daddy in the heavens. I highly doubt that prayer or magick rituals will do anything except maybe give people a sense of control in situations where they have none.

From your name I would guess an honorable Muslim... But, God was first concieved of by them, and just about everyone anthropomorphically; and it was only when the philosophers got a hold of God that they rejected anthropomorphism...I am not sure we can say The God exists, except as being outside of existence... Ritual has a specific purpose, to create a certain reality, and to push forward a certain cycle of existence, that is, the way I understand it...

Quote:
If religion comes from family, and nations are from families, why would religion not play its role in nations? Especially when it obviously has. Separating religion and politics is a rather new concept. I have said nothing that is not a natural process. I am saying religion is part of the natural process and that it helped us in our evolution to the status quo.

Nation comes from navel, that is, pointing to a common mother... We are now made nations, having little in common....Shared morals make community, just as shared ancestors, and as having a holy father, and a God the father suggests, the worship of ancestors is common, and may have given rise to religion as we know it, which has the personification of natural forces... But spiritualism is older still, including both naturalism, and animism...

Quote:
I don't quite understand what your point was here. I'm all for people being reverent to their ancestors. I didn't even say anything about ancestor worship. Thinking they're going to do good things for me after they've been dead probably is not something I'll be endorsing any time soon, but they spent their lives building us up. I understand respect. Which is exactly what I am trying to say of religion and the concept of gods.

I was trying to counter your notion that community comes out of religion, and say instead that religion comes out of community, just like morality... And just as we use the word morale for esprit de corp, the community spirit was the original god...And the conception of the thing made it the captive of people... And the first thing victors over a city would do is cart off the local god.. Which was the point of the pantheon in Rome, to house all the gods rome had made her own...Only Judah failed her, having no representation of God to cart off...And in a sense, the god they would have captured made a captive of Rome....
rhinogrey

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2009 09:09 pm
charles brough wrote:
I would suggest we go for an atheistic religion

I believe you're referring to Science. Wink
Akeem Scribe

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2009 10:31 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
So let us agree to disagree...Is see it as an extension of the same quality; that the ability to (conceive) of reality allow the conception of unreality... It is not (religion) that naturally forms a community, but the reverse, that the (community) is the religion... At least until Christianity attempted to make a single world community out of a single belief...Before that time, every community had its own god, like Athens had Athena...

What exactly is it you are disagreeing with, that religion is conceived of by humans? We're both taking that position so that can't be it. You say that a community forms a religion. At least I can understand why you would think I don't agree with you, but I do. What I am saying is that after the creation of religion, religion helped structure the community. The structure religion gave helped man evolve culturally and live better lives. Though I would argue it has done very limited good in recent times.

Fido wrote:
There were two worlds to primitive people; the one within community and the one without... For that reason community was morality, just as today, we are only as much a part of any community as we accept the morality...Primitives never much bewailed their fates, which they very much accepted, as some people still do...In fact, it was often an excuse for mercy, so that if people guilty of bloodshed could escape while blood was hot, they might escape with their lives for a payment of blood money...This was possible because, while the guilt of the killer was undeniable, every one agreed with the universal power of fate, that no man could take a life unless that person were doomed... So people could accept murder and not add one death to another...In fact, they were accepting even of their own deaths, which, if one could judge by the Native American could last for days under the most cruel torture... No hard feelings...Wait till my people get you, and then it will be your turn, and be brave, like I am... In fact, they were always encouraging... And having worked some many times with Native Americans; they still are, even when it is cold and miserable, and sleet is running down your shirt collar...That is one the things I loved about them: Never a discouraging word...It is because the notion of fate cannot be argued with, and no point in crying...

I'm not understanding your logic. What makes you so sure there was a two world dichotomy like that. There were no other variables at work, just those two huh? And what's with the Native Americans and talking about fate? How is that relevant at all? You keep saying the community makes the religion. Alright, I'll agree. How does that show religion has no effect on environment. We can see that it clearly does make a difference in how people behave, so whether it was all conceived by men doesn't matter. The fact that religion played a major role in history is undeniable. So why is the idea of religion being one of the variables that allowed humanity to better survive such an abomination in your eyes? It has lasted all this time, it must have had some benefit at some time. Why is that such a scary concept?

Fido wrote:
From your name I would guess an honorable Muslim... But, God was first (conceived) of by them, and just about everyone anthropomorphically; and it was only when the philosophers got a hold of God that they rejected anthropomorphism...I am not sure we can say The God exists, except as being outside of existence... Ritual has a specific purpose, to create a certain reality, and to push forward a certain cycle of existence, that is, the way I understand it...

Well you would guess wrong about me being a Muslim. I have no discernible religion. I don't see how the philosophers rejected anthropomorphism. That's like rejecting a style of music. If you mean they rejected it as in the idea that gods are not actual human-like figures, then it serves little purpose as I never claimed otherwise. Also, rituals have many purposes, that does not mean they are not an aid in organizing a community as many rituals require community participation.

Fido wrote:
Nation comes from navel, that is, pointing to a common mother... We are now made nations, having little in common....Shared morals make community, just as shared ancestors, and as having a holy father, and a God the father suggests, the worship of ancestors is common, and may have given rise to religion as we know it, which has the personification of natural forces... But spiritualism is older still, including both naturalism, and animism...

At what point is any of this suppose to imply religion had no part in aiding human development?

Fido wrote:
I was trying to counter your notion that community comes out of religion, and say instead that religion comes out of community, just like morality... And just as we use the word morale for esprit de corp, the community spirit was the original god...And the conception of the thing made it the captive of people... And the first thing victors over a city would do is cart off the local god.. Which was the point of the pantheon in Rome, to house all the gods rome had made her own...Only Judah failed her, having no representation of God to cart off...And in a sense, the god they would have captured made a captive of Rome....

Does it matter what the original god was in this context. Religion still structured the community. So community created religion, religion still improved it.