Dave Allen

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 04:52 am
@avatar6v7,
I think it has a lot to do with the time of the recitation of the relevant Sura - those recited whilst Mecca was still a clear and present danger to Muhammed and his early followers are a lot more belligerant in tone than those recited after the conversion of the Meccans.

I do think "my religion is a religion of peace" tends to be the party line of most members of most religions - and I suppose that's fair enough given that the majority of people go through their lives without getting blood on their hands (directly). I tend to take the rather cynical view that this is short hand for "our religion is a religion of peace on our terms" (certainly my experience during the 5 years I lived in Belfast). I do think such things are relative - Islam does have a history of conquest (at times very violently won) which the Jains, for example, do not. Saladin stands out as a paragon of chivalry (give or take episodes such as poisoning his brother) - Omar burnt the library of Alexandria and so stands out as one of history's most wasteful iconoclasts.

I don't think you can escape the correlation between Islam and warfare without adopting a generously figurative reading of the Koran - if for no other fact than Muhammed was an incredibly capable general, as well as being an incredibly successful prophet (and one of the world's greatest poets and politicians too). His military nous was instinctive and learned (he certainly displayed a flair for adopting Persian siege tactics, and the only battle he lost is attributed to a regiment of archers not following his orders) - Muslims would probably say it was divinely inspired - either way it's hard for me to see how military matters could not have coloured his worldview.

I also respect the degree with which magnaminity Islam stresses should be shown to defeated enemies. I also see it as a pracitical worldview in that I reckon conflict an unavoidable event in human life and history - so it's probably best not to be in a state of denial about it.

What I do want to distance myself from whilst criticisng Islam is this "The West" vs Islam thing that seems so contemporary - because I don't think the West has a moral leg to stand on, really. An Islamic country has yet to spit high-density radioactive shells all over my countryside, and until they do I'll concede that I feel highly uncomfortable criticisng Islam.
0 Replies

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 12:29 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Even the Christians revered Saladin for his chivalry. Considering that the Saracens were defending their homes against a foreign, barbarian invader (comparing the two civilizations, the Christians were certainly the barbarians) I also admire their efforts.

Amusingly the Muslims of the time did not revere Saladin for his chivalry, feeling he was too weak a leader. Also Saladin's chivalry was matched by the Christians leader, Richard the lionheart. The Christians were not foriegn or barbarian, as you, the history major, should know. Firstly a very large proportion of the populace under Islamic rule were christian, and it was not a case of Muslims being attacked by an outsider, but different groups vying for control of a diverse region. Additionally the Muslims of the time did not see it in the crude nationalist terms of todays muslims, this idea they had a 'right' to control the region, as they had taken it by force not so long ago. As to the Christendom being 'barbarous' in comparison to Islam this is false on a number of levels. For as start the idea of any people being 'barbarous' is usually dismissed by modern historians, and in this case it is not even true on that level. The Christians had advanced architecture, legal systems, economics and technology. The Byzantines, who had requested the help of the crusaders to begin with, were the most advanced civilisation of the time. The vast cultural and technolgoical wealth of Islam, was more accuratly that of the middle east, and mostly inherited. The architecture was copied from pre-existing persian, classical and later byzantine styles, and later, when the crusaders had been driven out, castles were copied from western christian designs built by crusaders. The philosophy, scince and medicine had allready existed in the middle east, in the form of libraries, scholars and doctors, many of whom were christian. It is preposterous to imagine that all of this cultural output had it's origins in a people as barbarous, if you wish to use that term, as the arabs, the turkish or the berbers.
Didymos Thomas wrote:

I think you are right to say that a strict reading of the Koran is necessary for the reader to find scriptural support of killing infidels (and thanks for the clarification on usage). Islam is a religion of peace, according to most Islamic thinkers, anyway. Many of the excerpts you give do not seem to point to the killing or even the dislike of infidels. Only a particularly callous reading of some of the excerpts would lead someone to draw such a conclusion, especially as these lines are found along side calls for peace, love and charity. I think social context is vitally important; Muhammad, as you know, was providing a new mythos for a brutal society. The language, in order to capture the attention of hearers, must reflect this brutality. It seems to me that much of the violent language is a way to convert tribal struggles into struggles on behalf of God, which for Islam certainly includes proselytism.

Islam is indeed seen as a religion of peace, but the protection and spreading of this peace is a different question for Muslims of the time. You are right about the brutality part, Arabia was dominated by warring tribes, and Islam begins as an attempt to establish political unity under a faith.
Dave Allen

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 12:41 pm
@avatar6v7,
There seem to be a lot of generalisations there, I particularly disagree with this one:
Quote:
Additionally the Muslims of the time did not see it in the crude nationalist terms of todays muslims, this idea they had a 'right' to control the region, as they had taken it by force not so long ago.
All modern Muslims?

I doubt the Byzantines were notably more civilised than the Sassanids. I suspect Didymos is talking more about the medieval period - when Byzantium went into decline and the arab world became one of the few places to show any real interest in keeping classical lore alive and understood - in a general sort of sense (I anticipate plenty of examples where enclaves in/of christendom kept such lore alive - but it didn't do so as a gestalt 'culture').
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 12:44 pm
@avatar6v7,
a very large proportion of the populace under Islamic rule were christian and it was not a case of Muslims being attacked by an outsider, but different groups vying for control of a diverse region.
There wasn't such a large Christian population in the Holy Land until after Jerusalem was sacked during the first crusade, the Muslim (and Jewish) population forcibly converted / killed / driven out, and the establishment of a crusader state leading to immigration from Europe. It's grossly misleading to portray that region as THAT diverse before the first crusade, and it's similarly misleading to say that people had been vying for it. The only groups that had been vying for control of the Holy Land before the first crusade were different Muslim groups.

The one contested place that DID have a large Christian (and pagan) population was Asia Minor, but that shrank as the Seljuks encroached and the Byzantines collapsed.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 03:15 pm
@Aedes,
Amusingly the Muslims of the time did not revere Saladin for his chivalry, feeling he was too weak a leader.

You should read some of the Muslim accounts of the Crusades - while some do criticize Saladin, most of these accounts praise him in the same way Christian chronicles praise Saladin.

The Christians were not foriegn or barbarian, as you, the history major, should know.

You honestly suggest that the Western Christian Crusaders were somehow not foreign invaders in the Holy Land?

As for the issue of barbarism, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the term. History is filled with examples of civilizations falling at the hands of more warlike barbarians.

Further, the Byzantines were most certainly not the most advanced civilization of the time. You may be thinking of the Chinese or the Muslims. By the time of the Crusades, Byzantium had already begun her long slide into collapse. Oh, and trying to reduce the cultural achievements of the Muslim world of the time as mostly inherited opens up a nasty door - we could say that the civilization of the west was inherited from the Romans, and that the Romans inherited theirs from the Greeks and so forth.

Muslim learning in every field was far more advanced than the western Christians. Muslims had even eclipsed the Byzantines in most areas by the time of the First Crusade. The Muslims would continue to be more advanced than the Christians until the Renaissance. And we can thank the Muslims, in part, for the Renaissance given that much of the western learning upon which the Renaissance relied came from Muslim scholars.

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 04:09 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:

You honestly suggest that the Western Christian Crusaders were somehow not foreign invaders in the Holy Land?

Not in the sense that you spoke of, no.
Didymos Thomas wrote:

As for the issue of barbarism, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the term. History is filled with examples of civilizations falling at the hands of more warlike barbarians.

I will not quibble over the use of the term, but I would question it's application in this case.
Didymos Thomas wrote:

Further, the Byzantines were most certainly not the most advanced civilization of the time. You may be thinking of the Chinese or the Muslims. By the time of the Crusades, Byzantium had already begun her long slide into collapse. Oh, and trying to reduce the cultural achievements of the Muslim world of the time as mostly inherited opens up a nasty door - we could say that the civilization of the west was inherited from the Romans, and that the Romans inherited theirs from the Greeks and so forth.

Certainly, but most of these civilisations add somthing significant on top of it. There was development in scince and medicine, but in few other areas.
Didymos Thomas wrote:

Muslim learning in every field was far more advanced than the western Christians. Muslims had even eclipsed the Byzantines in most areas by the time of the First Crusade. The Muslims would continue to be more advanced than the Christians until the Renaissance. And we can thank the Muslims, in part, for the Renaissance given that much of the western learning upon which the Renaissance relied came from Muslim scholars.

What are you reffering to here? There was the rediscovery of Classical knowlage if that is what you are refering to?
As to the Byzantines, they remained as one of the most advanced civilisations in europe even during their decline in a similar fashion to their western counterpart.

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 04:25 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
There wasn't such a large Christian population in the Holy Land until after Jerusalem was sacked during the first crusade, the Muslim (and Jewish) population forcibly converted / killed / driven out, and the establishment of a crusader state leading to immigration from Europe. It's grossly misleading to portray that region as THAT diverse before the first crusade, and it's similarly misleading to say that people had been vying for it. The only groups that had been vying for control of the Holy Land before the first crusade were different Muslim groups.

The one contested place that DID have a large Christian (and pagan) population was Asia Minor, but that shrank as the Seljuks encroached and the Byzantines collapsed.

Islam had been ruling the middle east for 4-5 centuries at the time of the crusades, in this time while there were many conversions, and a growing number of Muslims, there was still not remotly enough time for Christians to have become any less than 30% of the population in the formerly christian areas of the Middle East. Even today 20% of Egypts population is christian, and as I couldn't find any projected numbers, I would imagine that this indicated possibly a far large minority, or even a slight majority, of christians in formerly christian controled countries. Jerusalem will have had a smaller minority, as Jews will have made up a significant portion of the population.
0 Replies

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 04:26 pm
@avatar6v7,
Not in the sense that you spoke of, no.

And in what sense was that? The Crusaders came primarily from Western Europe to the Holy Land, a place where they did not live. They were foreign invaders, in the same way the European colonial powers were foreign invaders in Africa and Asia. Foreign, as in from another place.

Certainly, but most of these civilisations add somthing significant on top of it. There was development in scince and medicine, but in few other areas.

And philosophy, art, literature, law, mathematics. Add these five to science and medicine and you've basically covered all the bases.

What are you reffering to here? There was the rediscovery of Classical knowlage if that is what you are refering to?
As to the Byzantines, they remained as one of the most advanced civilisations in europe even during their decline in a similar fashion to their western counterpart.

I was referring to many different things - that Muslim learning was more advanced than western Christian learning in every respect until the Renaissance, that the Muslim world was beginning to surpass Byzantium in 1095 and would continue to make the gap wider and wider until Constantinople fell in the 1400's, and that the Renaissance relied on not only the rediscovery of classical texts, a rediscovery made possible by Muslim scholars, but that Muslim scholars also made immense contributions to learning which made the Renaissance possible.

You have to remember, the Islamic world did more than preserve the classic texts lost to the west. Islamic scholars also made giant leaps in studying these classic texts which had immense influence on the study of classic texts in the west. Further, the Islamic scholars did more than just comment on classic texts, they also wrote their own, made scientific advancements, and so forth, all of which contributed to the Renaissance of Europe.

Why do you think the Renaissance began in Italy? Simple: the Italian traders made immense fortunes trading with the wealthier Islamic states, and by trading with these wealthier states also encountered Islamic learning and art which they brought back to Italy.

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 04:40 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
And in what sense was that? The Crusaders came primarily from Western Europe to the Holy Land, a place where they did not live. They were foreign invaders, in the same way the European colonial powers were foreign invaders in Africa and Asia. Foreign, as in from another place.

The colonial aspect. Attempts to link it with later colonialism are all purely artistic, as nobody at the time viewed it in those terms.
Didymos Thomas wrote:

And philosophy, art, literature, law, mathematics. Add these five to science and medicine and you've basically covered all the bases.

What art and litreature? As for law what about Scandavia? I am not trying to claim that Muslims did not have a wonderful and advanced culture, but that it is not strictly speaking an Islamic one, as much of what we consider Islamic culture is so reminicent of Persian and Roman decadence as to be utterly at odds with Islam's ascetic tenets.
Didymos Thomas wrote:

I was referring to many different things - that Muslim learning was more advanced than western Christian learning in every respect until the Renaissance, that the Muslim world was beginning to surpass Byzantium in 1095 and would continue to make the gap wider and wider until Constantinople fell in the 1400's, and that the Renaissance relied on not only the rediscovery of classical texts, a rediscovery made possible by Muslim scholars, but that Muslim scholars also made immense contributions to learning which made the Renaissance possible.

You have to remember, the Islamic world did more than preserve the classic texts lost to the west. Islamic scholars also made giant leaps in studying these classic texts which had immense influence on the study of classic texts in the west. Further, the Islamic scholars did more than just comment on classic texts, they also wrote their own, made scientific advancements, and so forth, all of which contributed to the Renaissance of Europe.

But the reasons for Europe being behind was the collapse of the Western Roman Empire, there is nothing very special in the preservation of knowelage in the middle east, especially considering it was already the location of a number of very major centres of learning.
Didymos Thomas wrote:

Why do you think the Renaissance began in Italy? Simple: the Italian traders made immense fortunes trading with the wealthier Islamic states, and by trading with these wealthier states also encountered Islamic learning and art which they brought back to Italy.

Italys socio-political make up was the reason for its being the launchpad for the renaissance. Like Greece, it was a group of independant city states, with a supringly modern ethos and social structure. This indpendant intelectual and economic enviroment ment that trade flourished, as did art, culture, architecture and many other intelectual and cultural fields. I am not denying that much of this wealth came through Islamic trade, but this is a purely geographical consideration.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 05:32 pm
@avatar6v7,
The colonial aspect. Attempts to link it with later colonialism are all purely artistic, as nobody at the time viewed it in those terms.

My comparison to European colonialism came after you said that the Crusaders were not foreign invaders "Not in the sense that you spoke of, no."

So, in what sense were you talking about? You couldn't have meant the comparison to colonialism as I had not made the connection.

[quote=avatar6v7]What art and litreature? As for law what about Scandavia? I am not trying to claim that Muslims did not have a wonderful and advanced culture, but that it is not strictly speaking an Islamic one, as much of what we consider Islamic culture is so reminicent of Persian and Roman decadence as to be utterly at odds with Islam's ascetic tenets. [/quote]

I can't study for you, that's something you have to go out and do on your own. We are talking about the Golden Age is Islam, after all. I have faith in your ability to read English.

You bring up the fact that Islamic culture did not develop in a vacuum, that it was influenced by other cultures. Great, no one denies that fact. But this fact does not mean that Islamic culture was somehow less advanced than it's European and Byzantine counterparts who, after all, also relied on previous cultures.

[quote=avatar6v7]But the reasons for Europe being behind was the collapse of the Western Roman Empire, there is nothing very special in the preservation of knowelage in the middle east, especially considering it was already the location of a number of very major centres of learning. [/quote]

The reason why western Europe was a cultural backwater doesn't change the fact that it was a cultural backwater.

Also, the preservation of classic texts was not the only thing I mentioned, now is it?

[quote=avatar6v7]Italys socio-political make up was the reason for its being the launchpad for the renaissance. Like Greece, it was a group of independant city states, with a supringly modern ethos and social structure. This indpendant intelectual and economic enviroment ment that trade flourished, as did art, culture, architecture and many other intelectual and cultural fields. I am not denying that much of this wealth came through Islamic trade, but this is a purely geographical consideration.[/quote]

Trade flourished because Italy was in the right place - was the gateway to trade in western Europe because of it's proximity to the Islamic world.

So, let's recap:
1. the western Europeans were foreign invaders in the Holy Land
2. Islam was the more advanced civilization
3. Without the preservation of classic texts by Islam, the monumental advancements in science, literature, philosophy, art and mathematics by Islam, and without the wealth of Islam with which Europeans could trade, the Renaissance would have been impossible.
Doobah47

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 06:22 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Quote:
As for law what about Scandavia? I am not trying to claim that Muslims did not have a wonderful and advanced culture, but that it is not strictly speaking an Islamic one, as much of what we consider Islamic culture is so reminicent of Persian and Roman decadence as to be utterly at odds with Islam's ascetic tenets.

I've heard alot about the success of some Scandinavian policies. And I would add many comments about the nature of pre-Christian and Christian "ascetic tenets" - vis a vis this odd definition:

dictionary.com wrote:
hence "sound, pitch;" L. tendere "to stretch," tenuis "thin, rare, fine;" O.C.S. tento "cord;" O.E. thynne "thin"). Connection notion between "stretch" and "hold" is "to cause to maintain." The modern sense is probably because tenet was used in M.L. to introduce a statement of doctrine.

(Medieveal Latin I think...)

It is interesting that so much political activism has been so stringently documented and analysed. Such an intricate sytem of interpretation leadsme to believe that a vast majority of people throughout history have lived through enforced, oppressed ignorance.

World peace is right in front of us... it's right there ---> !
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 09:23 pm
@avatar6v7,
Italys socio-political make up was the reason for its being the launchpad for the renaissance.
No, DT has it exactly right. Look at the history of major Italian seaports like Venice, Genoa, and Pisa. They essentially came into existence in order to support the Crusader state, but became so advanced in commerce and navigation that they developed independent trade relationships with (in particular) Egypt, which pretty much stayed out of the Crusades.

Venice - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Secondly, don't forget that Sicily and some of southern Italy were Muslim lands for generations (really until the era of the Crusades when the Normans came by and "liberated" Sicily and integrated the Muslim population).

Emirate of Sicily - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Finally, don't forget that Italy and Spain had close proximity and frequent interaction throughout the 700-year Muslim rule in Spain.

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2008 09:24 am
@Aedes,
What is the exact point that you are trying to make with the Islam-Renaissance link? Without trade it might no have happened, perhaps, but why is this more thanks to Islam than to China, India or Europe? What exactly is the point that this is supposed to make? As to the art being imported, what basis is there for that? What posssible link can you draw between Islamic and renaissance art? I would like examples, and if you are not willing to provide them, then I can only assume they are too tenuous for you to provide. To return to the issue of wealth, it would be just as easy to say that the Islamic states were enriched at the expense of Europe, as Islamic nations were closer to the sources of spices, they bought them cheap, and sold them on to Euorpe for far higher prices; standard trade practice, but by no means an indicator that Europe did better out of it. As to the preserved knowlage, that is undoubtably true, but it is perhaps telling that Europe took it further than its previous keepers.
Aedes

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2008 09:47 am
@avatar6v7,
As to the art being imported, what basis is there for that? What posssible link can you draw between Islamic and renaissance art? I would like examples

Islamic artists directly influenced the development of illuminated manuscripts, calligraphy, ceramic decorations, and woodworking in Renaissance Europe. Insofar as philosophy is also a form of cultural expression, Islamic philosophers like Averroes and Avicenna directly influenced European philosophers like Aquinas (as did Jewish philosophers living in Muslim lands, like Maimonides).

Quote:
As to the preserved knowlage, that is undoubtably true, but it is perhaps telling that Europe took it further than its previous keepers.
It's not something intrinsically great about Islam that they invented calculus 700 years before Newton and Liebniz, but it's also not something intrinsically great about Europe that they took it further. Islam's golden age peaked during a time of decay in Europe. Europe's renaissance peaked during a time of decay in Islam. Both "civilizations" were heirs of Rome, of Persia, and of the cultures of the Middle East, just as these previous civilizations were heirs of Greece, of Egypt, and ultimately the proto-indoeuropean civilization.

It has happened that the center of knowledge and inventiveness has migrated from era to era. The central role of America in culture and technology is only ~150 years old, and the central role of Asia in global technology is even younger. So what? we're all humans.
0 Replies

ILYAS TOXANBAYEV

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2009 01:15 pm
@avatar6v7,
Many truly horrifying conflicts have broken out that have been termed as religous, such as the 30 years war, the crusades, many a jihad, and of course simply day to day violance and tension between those of differing faiths.
But are they all religously motivated or is that just superficial? Are some religions more prone to it than others? Can they ever be justifed? What do they mean for the modern world?
I would again to see what people think about this.

I consider that religion for the known God people who talk good luck, instead of for usual people. That is for sacred people. Simple people should search for God, instead of be engaged in violence. It is not so necessary to know God violence.
0 Replies