Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 03:02 pm
@Icon,
Icon wrote:

I suppose this would be true if you consider that "God" is not a truth or a constant. By their very own definition of God, it must be the same one because God is everlasting and omnipotent. That which is everlasting withstands change. So do you suggest that you can redefine "God" in order to conceptualize the distrobution of belief?

It is not God that changes but our view of god, as with all beliefs, the one you hold at present has always been true but you hadn't realised yet. (from the individuals perspective that is)
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 03:05 pm
@avatar6v7,
You talk about 'leaders' in a way that implies some kind of modern centralised states, but in reality it was many different knights, lords and dukes heeding the popes call to arms. Now the Pope made the decision, not as a matter of finance, but one, as you say, of self defence. But this was not the defence of wealth, but of christian territory and christian security within Islamic territory. Despite what the cynics say, suprisingly few wars are fought over wealth, for the simple reason that war is very expensive.
In the short term - but control of resources is undeniably an aim of much warfare - and so wealth must certainly be a consideration.

I think the real reasons for any war are multifarious.

Wealth plays a part, pride plays a part, revenge a part, religion a part, bringing other forms of enlightenment a part, securing security a big part, etc...

Look at the various causes for war mooted at the onset of the invasion of Iraq.
0 Replies

Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 03:09 pm
@avatar6v7,
You talk about 'leaders' in a way that implies some kind of modern centralised states, but in reality it was many different knights, lords and dukes heeding the popes call to arms. Now the Pope made the decision, not as a matter of finance, but one, as you say, of self defence. But this was not the defence of wealth, but of christian territory and christian security within Islamic territory. Despite what the cynics say, suprisingly few wars are fought over wealth, for the simple reason that war is very expensive.

No, the mention of leaders does not imply some kind of modern, centralized state. I used "leaders" because it is vague enough to include some kind of modern, centralized state as well as the feudal leaders and any other sort of leader that might play a role in making the decision to go to an armed conflict.

I'm not sure where you get your history, but your wrong. That's blunt, yes, and please don't take offense, but that's the bottom line. Was Christian territory and Christian security an issue - yes, of course, but how do these things relate to the Pope? They relate to the Pope through the Pope's purse.

It is not cynical to say that wars are fought over wealth, it's historic sense. War is extremely expensive, but the gains from war are often times great. To pop your balloon - consider the Roman Empire. The Romans paid for many of their conquests with the wealth looted from the conquered people.
Or we could talk about the Opium Wars where the British Empire invades China in order to secure their ability to trade in opium which was produced in their Indian holdings and sold in Chinese port cities.
Or we could talk about Japanese Imperialism leading up to the Second World War where Japan invades Manchuria, China, ect in order to find the necessary resources to supply it's growing industry and population.

The list goes on and on.

Icon wrote:

I suppose this would be true if you consider that "God" is not a truth or a constant. By their very own definition of God, it must be the same one because God is everlasting and omnipotent. That which is everlasting withstands change. So do you suggest that you can redefine "God" in order to conceptualize the distrobution of belief?

Well, I'm not sure you can say that God is constant. Never has been. The notions of God, which are necessarily the inventions of man, have constantly changed over time.

The definitions of God proposed by different faith traditions makes my argument, I think. Those definitions might have similarities, but they also contain differences. Again, the theology of God in Islam, Judaism and Christianity are different, and even within any of those single traditions we find a variety of understandings of God. Different deities.

These Gods all point toward the same truth, but that truth does not require the term "God", that truth is beyond language. And that's all God is - language.

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 03:37 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
No, the mention of leaders does not imply some kind of modern, centralized state. I used "leaders" because it is vague enough to include some kind of modern, centralized state as well as the feudal leaders and any other sort of leader that might play a role in making the decision to go to an armed conflict.

I'm not sure where you get your history, but your wrong. That's blunt, yes, and please don't take offense, but that's the bottom line. Was Christian territory and Christian security an issue - yes, of course, but how do these things relate to the Pope? They relate to the Pope through the Pope's purse.

It is not cynical to say that wars are fought over wealth, it's historic sense. War is extremely expensive, but the gains from war are often times great. To pop your balloon - consider the Roman Empire. The Romans paid for many of their conquests with the wealth looted from the conquered people.
Or we could talk about the Opium Wars where the British Empire invades China in order to secure their ability to trade in opium which was produced in their Indian holdings and sold in Chinese port cities.
Or we could talk about Japanese Imperialism leading up to the Second World War where Japan invades Manchuria, China, ect in order to find the necessary resources to supply it's growing industry and population.

The list goes on and on.

Wow, someone is sure of themselves:sarcastic:
I do not deny that the Pope would be financially impacted on by Islamic conquest of chrisitan territory, but that does not mean that this is automatically his motive. The Jappanesse and British attacks on China were so easily effected that they were in effect skirmishs and takeovers, I mean war in the sense of a proper conflict. I was making a distinction between wealth and territory, and resources is where the two meet. Also I said suprisingly few, not all, most or even 50%.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 03:55 pm
@avatar6v7,
Wow, someone is sure of themselves:sarcastic:

I'm a history major, this is what I spend my time with.

I do not deny that the Pope would be financially impacted on by Islamic conquest of chrisitan territory, but that does not mean that this is automatically his motive.

In a logical sense, yes, the fact that the Pope is financially impacted by the rise of Islam does not necessarily mean that Urban called for the First Crusade because of wealth. However, it does seem to be the case that wealth was the primary motive of calling for the First Crusade.

This seems to be the case for several reasons. First, trade to Europe was threatened by the Islamic rise and the Islamic threat to Byzantium, trade being a matter of wealth. Further, the feudal lords of Europe who joined the Crusade did so primarily to find new lands to rule, also a matter of wealth.

The Jappanesse and British attacks on China were so easily effected that they were in effect skirmishs and takeovers, I mean war in the sense of a proper conflict. I was making a distinction between wealth and territory, and resources is where the two meet. Also I said suprisingly few, not all, most or even 50%.

Yeah, the Opium War was a proper conflict. The British declare war on China and crush the Chinese fleet because the Chinese banned the sale of opium, which was a massive cash crop for the British Empire.

The Japanese invasions of Manchuria, China and Indo-China were also proper conflicts. You know, military force and all that. The Japanese fought in China for years - years. Sounds like a proper conflict to me.

Surprisingly few. Okay, well I'm not surprised. Either way, at least we are agreed that most wars are fought for wealth.
Whoever

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 04:35 am
@avatar6v7,
A major study by the Peace Institute at the University of Bradford conducted around 1990 found that religion is not often a cause of war, but that warring nations and cultures tended to have different religions because, well, they are different nations and cultures.
0 Replies

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 11:40 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:

In a logical sense, yes, the fact that the Pope is financially impacted by the rise of Islam does not necessarily mean that Urban called for the First Crusade because of wealth. However, it does seem to be the case that wealth was the primary motive of calling for the First Crusade.

This seems to be the case for several reasons. First, trade to Europe was threatened by the Islamic rise and the Islamic threat to Byzantium, trade being a matter of wealth. Further, the feudal lords of Europe who joined the Crusade did so primarily to find new lands to rule, also a matter of wealth.

I am not denying that wealth was a factor, but your reason for deciding they were the primary one seem insufficent. It was about power, and in as much as that also means wealth, meant that as well. However the real question is, the power to do what?
Didymos Thomas wrote:

Yeah, the Opium War was a proper conflict. The British declare war on China and crush the Chinese fleet because the Chinese banned the sale of opium, which was a massive cash crop for the British Empire.

The Japanese invasions of Manchuria, China and Indo-China were also proper conflicts. You know, military force and all that. The Japanese fought in China for years - years. Sounds like a proper conflict to me.

Surprisingly few. Okay, well I'm not surprised. Either way, at least we are agreed that most wars are fought for wealth.

Perhaps I could refine the point here. All wars are about power, and often this means wealth as well. However the reasons for wanting the wealth and power are more often the real motive, with supringly few wars fought just for wealth.
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 12:19 pm
@avatar6v7,
I wonder if the Aztecs might be an example of a people who went regularly to war in order to fulfill a religious need as a priority?

I suspect history has apinted them as somewhat blacker than they actually were - but there does seem to have been a very real (insofar as it was perceived) need to keep a steady stream of sacrifices going.

And I still would like to know what contributors to this thread think of the numerous conflicts referred to in religious texts - do these not set a precedent for the followers of certain religions to wage wars?

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 08:48 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen wrote:
I wonder if the Aztecs might be an example of a people who went regularly to war in order to fulfill a religious need as a priority?

Yes they are a good example. However they wage war in order to gain power and territory as well.
Dave Allen wrote:

I suspect history has apinted them as somewhat blacker than they actually were - but there does seem to have been a very real (insofar as it was perceived) need to keep a steady stream of sacrifices going.

I am not sure what you mean by that, how much 'blacker' do they have to be painted than regular human sacrifice? They had a maginificent civilisation in some ways, and tenochitclan with its floating gardens qualifies as one of the wonders of the world, but even so they had a very dark and nihilistic view of existance and killed and enslaved thousands of people.
Dave Allen wrote:

And I still would like to know what contributors to this thread think of the numerous conflicts referred to in religious texts - do these not set a precedent for the followers of certain religions to wage wars?

Well in the old testament most of these are wars fought by the Jews that they describe as 'ordered by god' in their mythology.
Dave Allen

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 12:17 pm
@avatar6v7,
Yes they are a good example. However they wage war in order to gain power and territory as well.

I am not sure what you mean by that, how much 'blacker' do they have to be painted than regular human sacrifice?.
Well the degree to which they committed such sacrifice and why. No doubt it happened - whether it happened to the degree it is reported as happening might just be a result of propaganda.
Quote:
They had a maginificent civilisation in some ways, and tenochitclan with its floating gardens qualifies as one of the wonders of the world, but even so they had a very dark and nihilistic view of existance and killed and enslaved thousands of people.
No nihilism to it at all, if what little we know about their reasons rings true - they thought is was necessary to shed blood in order to keep the sun coming up - therefore it served a perceived religious purpose.

It wasn't just done as a celebration of nothing in the eyes of the perpetrators.
Quote:
Well in the old testament most of these are wars fought by the Jews that they describe as 'ordered by god' in their mythology.
Precisely! Therefore such wars set a precedent to believers in the Old Testament to this day - as does the wars between the Meccans and Medians in the Koran. Would the Arab conquest have happened without the Koran, would the recent struggles between Jewish settlers, palestinians and the IDF occur without the Torah?

These strike me as being conflicts for which religious pride is the primary motivator - more so than capture/control of resource (though it plays an undeniable part).

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 12:55 pm
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen wrote:
Well the degree to which they committed such sacrifice and why. No doubt it happened - whether it happened to the degree it is reported as happening might just be a result of propaganda.

It happened a great deal certainly, and it took enough lives for it to require the conquest of a large number of other tribes, and even then sacrifices were sometimes demanded of the Aztec people
Dave Allen wrote:
No nihilism to it at all, if what little we know about their reasons rings true - they thought is was necessary to shed blood in order to keep the sun coming up - therefore it served a perceived religious purpose.It wasn't just done as a celebration of nothing in the eyes of the perpetrators.

It was very nihilistic, as it viewed existance as a torrent of blood, and it formed a very fear driven societ. An intresting example is the Mayan civilisation, which was similar in many respects, which essentially imploded.
Dave Allen wrote:

Precisely! Therefore such wars set a precedent to believers in the Old Testament to this day - as does the wars between the Meccans and Medians in the Koran. Would the Arab conquest have happened without the Koran, would the recent struggles between Jewish settlers, palestinians and the IDF occur without the Torah?

These strike me as being conflicts for which religious pride is the primary motivator - more so than capture/control of resource (though it plays an undeniable part).

Perhaps you have slightly missed my point here. They fight wars for normal reasons, which by them are seen as justified, and these enter into the mythology as ordained by God. In the case of the Jews it is the entire story of jewish struggle combined with modern nationislism that is the problem (the old testament wars admittadly being integrated into this view.) In Islam the main justification is simply that Islam is a political system as well as a religion, and there is little or no scriptual hindrance to a takeover. Infact it is more or less caused by its format.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 06:43 pm
@avatar6v7,
I am not denying that wealth was a factor, but your reason for deciding they were the primary one seem insufficent. It was about power, and in as much as that also means wealth, meant that as well. However the real question is, the power to do what?

The power to make money. As for insufficient, what's the problem? Seriously, I'd be more than happy to expand on something if I haven't given sufficient explanation.

Perhaps I could refine the point here. All wars are about power, and often this means wealth as well. However the reasons for wanting the wealth and power are more often the real motive, with supringly few wars fought just for wealth.

Hold on a second - the reason people want wealth and power is to fulfill their ego. And I would agree that most wars are reducible to ego. However, just because the desire for wealth is the result of ego in no way diminishes the fact that wars are fought for wealth and power.

You say surprisingly few wars are fought for wealth. Okay, that's fine, maybe you are surprised by the very few cases in which this is true, but I'm not. What surprises a given individual has nothing to do with the fact that most armed conflicts are fought for wealth or the power to accumulate wealth.
Dave Allen

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 05:43 am
@avatar6v7,
It was very nihilistic, as it viewed existance as a torrent of blood, and it formed a very fear driven societ.
Perhaps I'm being overly technical here - but if the Aztecs had a view of existence then I can't see how they were nihilistic.

You seem to be making 'nihilistic' synonymous with 'very unpleasant' - which isn't necessarily the case. The Aztecs had metaphysical beliefs which drove their varied reported atrocities - they didn't perform them as some jaded reation to unbelief and ennui (which may have made them nihilistic acts).
Quote:
Perhaps you have slightly missed my point here.
Have I? You asked in your original post if (I paraphrase) religions can be accused of provoking wars or providing reasons for war. I believe that whilst Didymos and other commentators are right to point out that the majority of wars are fought for resources or security I think they are perhaps overlooking the a correlation between religion and war and I have provided some evidence to support that view. I was initially interested in Icon's point that 'a religion would not condone war' - seeing as the major texts for so many religions deal with it so viscerally.

If the point of your original post was not to discuss such issues then can you clarify it for me?
Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 09:30 am
@Dave Allen,
I think that the Aztec example might highlight an important feature of this conversation which is easily overlooked. Today, religion is increasingly absent from public life and policy. In the past, civilization tended to include religion in everything; there was a religious ceremonial aspect to just about everything that took place in life - from planting crops and harvesting to annual warfare with tribal neighbors.

I'm no expert on the Aztec civilization, but I wonder if their religious ceremonies, which required human sacrifice, were the result of religious ceremony being draped over a very pragmatic practice. If this is the case then religion is not so much the cause of the bloodshed, but rather the way in which the bloodshed was understood. Not the cause, but the explanation.
0 Replies

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 10:40 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
The power to make money. As for insufficient, what's the problem? Seriously, I'd be more than happy to expand on something if I haven't given sufficient explanation.

I mean that money is an inherently insufficent reason for anything. Only the most twisted of misers want money for its own sake, most people want money for somthing. Money is just a form of power, and power is simply our ability to effect our desires upon reality. The reason for human action, the reason for us wanting power, is our desires.
0 Replies

Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 11:03 am
@avatar6v7,
Sure, most everything that is done is done to satisfy some desire. But in particular instances, like when considering what compelled a war, the objects of desire can most certainly be the reason for doing something.

You can answer "desire" to nearly any "why did such and such happen?" sort of question. But that's pretty vague.

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 11:44 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Sure, most everything that is done is done to satisfy some desire. But in particular instances, like when considering what compelled a war, the objects of desire can most certainly be the reason for doing something.

You can answer "desire" to nearly any "why did such and such happen?" sort of question. But that's pretty vague.

Well for example you could say that the conquistidors fought for wealth, but that would not be the real reason. They fought because they wanted adventure and fame, because they wanted to be respected, because they wanted to have possesions. Simply saying wealth is a very shallow analysis as it does not explain why they attempt to gain wealth, and more importantly why they seek wealth in a particular manner.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 12:42 pm
@avatar6v7,
When we are talking about such a vast number of circumstances, like all war, the analysis will be "shallow" because it will be broad enough to encompass the plethora of examples. Each armed conflict is a complicated matter, but we can generalize by saying that wealth is typically the motivator. In this generalization, the reason why people want wealth is not relevant. It's an entirely different question.

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 01:49 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
When we are talking about such a vast number of circumstances, like all war, the analysis will be "shallow" because it will be broad enough to encompass the plethora of examples. Each armed conflict is a complicated matter, but we can generalize by saying that wealth is typically the motivator. In this generalization, the reason why people want wealth is not relevant. It's an entirely different question.

But if desire for wealth is so universal in conflicts (as you claim) then surely one could simply declare war and wealth synonomous and go on to look at reasons that actually vary.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 02:03 pm
@avatar6v7,
Well, one could come to such a conclusion, but the logic would be faulty.