Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 12:22 pm
Many truly horrifying conflicts have broken out that have been termed as religous, such as the 30 years war, the crusades, many a jihad, and of course simply day to day violance and tension between those of differing faiths.
But are they all religously motivated or is that just superficial? Are some religions more prone to it than others? Can they ever be justifed? What do they mean for the modern world?
I would again to see what people think about this.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,624 • Replies: 74
No top replies

Icon

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 12:25 pm
@avatar6v7,
Religion is used as a cover up for personal matters but in all honesty, religion is an enabler. Through the word of "God" many terrible things have been done for money, greed, power, land, control. But it is this "God" which enabled these tyrrants to gather people to their causes.

Religion has not be actually religious for a thousand years. Most people do not even comprehend the religious text of their specific religion, passing it off as too difficult to understand save for the conepts of dedication and commitment.
rhinogrey

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 12:31 pm
@Icon,
Icon wrote:
R
Most people do not even comprehend the religious text of their specific religion, passing it off as too difficult to understand save for the conepts of dedication and commitment.

And instead rely on gurus and priests and whatnot to interpret their own ethical development for them.

It's a hierarchy that doesn't want to lose its intellectual sovereignty over a population. I don't discount the meaningfulness of religious experiences through a faith, but I do reject the fact that religions never seem to attempt to foster a sense of self-sufficiency in spiritual/ethical and thereby intellectual development. Churches don't want you to be spiritually enlightened, they want you to be spiritually dependant so you keep coming and listening to their sermons and keep contributing money to their breadbaskets.

It's brainwashing pure and simple. Religious hierarchies simply use god as the scapegoat.
0 Replies

Icon

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 12:48 pm
@avatar6v7,
I completely agree. I recently committed myself to an objective review of religion and each church service I went to had several elements of brainwashing techniques used through out the complete history of psychology
Reko

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 01:42 pm
@avatar6v7,
But are they all religously motivated or is that just superficial? Are some religions more prone to it than others? Can they ever be justifed? What do they mean for the modern world?

Most (all?) wars use religion as a motivation for the war. God is on our side. I have always been disgusted then American soldiers claim to be religious. And still, USA is fighting wars for geopolitical and not religious reasons. I think many (most?) holy wars is really about other things, and the religion is used to motivate people.

For instant, take al qaida. Sure is is using lots of religious rhetorics. But if you look under then skin you will find Arabic nationalism, revanchism, the poor world wanting to strike back against the rich world and old-fashion anarchism. (Persons in the organization is probably also driven by more normal driving forces like justice, friendship, working for a better world and having fun) I'm not saying that fanaticism is not a driving force for al quida, but it is not the whole picture.

If we remove religion from the world, I'm afraid that war and hatred would continue. It might be so, that without religion it would actually be more violence in the world then it is today. Is religion a necessary lie?
0 Replies

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 01:49 pm
@Icon,
Icon wrote:

Religion has not be actually religious for a thousand years. Most people do not even comprehend the religious text of their specific religion, passing it off as too difficult to understand save for the conepts of dedication and commitment.

An intresting view, could you elaborate? All religions in the past thousand years? (I know you were generalising as regards time) How do the concepts you mention dominate religous thought as you see it?

Icon wrote:
I completely agree. I recently committed myself to an objective review of religion and each church service I went to had several elements of brainwashing techniques used through out the complete history of psychology

Alot of what people seem to be saying here, and stop me if I'm making too many assumptions, seems to stem from their impressions of an American view of faith and war, which I would adjudge a relativly reasonable one. But what of a more historical look at christianity and war? What is everyones take on the crusades?
Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 01:58 pm
@avatar6v7,
Icon wrote:
Religion is used as a cover up for personal matters but in all honesty, religion is an enabler. Through the word of "God" many terrible things have been done for money, greed, power, land, control. But it is this "God" which enabled these tyrrants to gather people to their causes.

Are you suggesting that without God, these tyrants would not have had any other ideology to use to cajole their people? Doesn't make sense to me. Didn't we see communism justify wars and atrocities with a non-religious ideology?

Icon wrote:

Hold on a second.

You say that religion has not been religious for thousands of years because most people are ignorant of their scripture. Yet, more people can read today than ever before. How is it that religion has lost religiosity in modern times yet had religiosity in times when only the smallest section of society could read? That doesn't make any sense.

Further, the ignorance of some, or even of the majority, does not in any way mean that religion has lost religiosity. That some do understand their tradition and honestly practice is sufficient for religion to have religiosity.

Icon wrote:

Did you visit every church on the planet? What about houses of worship that are not churches?

Fallacy of composition.
0 Replies

Icon

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 02:06 pm
@Icon,
An intresting view, could you elaborate? All religions in the past thousand years? (I know you were generalising as regards time) How do the concepts you mention dominate religous thought as you see it?

In 1100 AD, religion was used as a control for the population by several cultures globally. When this occured the basis of religion, that is the foundation of the ideas, became a for of control vs. a path through life. This was a rapid change instituted through fear of state as well as of God. Now, certainly this is not true for all religion. I am specifically talking of monotheistic religions which seem to have a more strict code of conduct according to a single authoritative figure such as the pope. I am not generalizing to religion however. There are many governments which are still, to this day, based in the religion of their choice and they use this religion as a code of conduct for their people. These "religious" rules are now punished through harsh physical means. Once you generate fear of physical consequences, the person is no longer a willing subject to the religion but more a slave to it. This is where religion began to fail.

Alot of what people seem to be saying here, and stop me if I'm making too many assumptions, seems to stem from their impressions of an American view of faith and war, which I would adjudge a relativly reasonable one. But what of a more historical look at christianity and war? What is everyones take on the crusades?

I am not talking about American ideals at all actually. Look at the crusades if you like. They are still going on today. Judaism and Muslim are still fighting for that land. There are wars of "religion" all over the world and have been for a long time now. The irony of this is that most of those fighting believe in the same God who tells them that violence and revenge are saved for God and God alone. I find it comical that they all believe in the same God and yet this God seems to have pitted them against one another. Makes no sense. It is simply because people do not understand or have no even read the word of God by which they dedicate their lives.

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 02:20 pm
@Icon,
Icon wrote:
In 1100 AD, religion was used as a control for the population by several cultures globally. When this occured the basis of religion, that is the foundation of the ideas, became a for of control vs. a path through life. This was a rapid change instituted through fear of state as well as of God. Now, certainly this is not true for all religion. I am specifically talking of monotheistic religions which seem to have a more strict code of conduct according to a single authoritative figure such as the pope. I am not generalizing to religion however. There are many governments which are still, to this day, based in the religion of their choice and they use this religion as a code of conduct for their people. These "religious" rules are now punished through harsh physical means. Once you generate fear of physical consequences, the person is no longer a willing subject to the religion but more a slave to it. This is where religion began to fail.

You use the example of the pope and central authority, but did the catholic church really have any more failings than any fairly centralised system? Did it not manage to civilise warfare to some extent by its encouragement of the code of chivalry, just war theory and the 'peace of god'(effectivly a ceasefire)? Does not religion form the bedrock of every culture? Are religous and cultural wars one and the same?
Icon

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 02:27 pm
@avatar6v7,
You use the example of the pope and central authority, but did the catholic church really have any more failings than any fairly centralised system? Did it not manage to civilise warfare to some extent by its encouragement of the code of chivalry, just war theory and the 'peace of god'(effectivly a ceasefire)? Does not religion form the bedrock of every culture? Are religous and cultural wars one and the same?

That's my point exactly. Religion is no longer religion. It is now government. DID religion help to civilise warfare? And by civilise war fare, do you mean to bring order to act of killing in the name of a God which asks you not to shed blood? To turn the other cheek? Or are you talking about the creation of new tactics which forced man after man to rush into battle shoulder to shoulder only to get sacraficed to the archers of the advancing enemy?

Did the Catholic church have any more failings? Yes. Yes it did. The catholic church is the main cause for the corruption in Christianity as we know it. They modified the book of God to match political needs. If you were to give a gift of knowledge to someone only to turn around and hear them using it to confuse and control people, would you be pleased? The idea of all religious text given to use by a Diety is to instruct us. When you modify it, you break the foundation of that instruction. The Roman Catholic Church IS the downfall of religion as we know it.
0 Replies

Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 02:28 pm
@avatar6v7,
Icon - The Crusades was not a war about religion, but a war over trade routes in the Mediterranean and in the Holy Land. The fighting between Jews and Palestinians is not a war about religion, but a war over the land itself and who has the right to govern that land.

Religion, in these instances, is the justification used by the power brokers not the cause of the conflict.

Further, Jews and Muslims and Christians do not worship the same God. Their respective Gods evolved from the same source, but they are not the same deity because each tradition worships in a different way and has different theological understandings of their deities.

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 02:35 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Icon - The Crusades was not a war about religion, but a war over trade routes in the Mediterranean and in the Holy Land. The fighting between Jews and Palestinians is not a war about religion, but a war over the land itself and who has the right to govern that land.

Religion, in these instances, is the justification used by the power brokers not the cause of the conflict.

Well this all depends which crusade you mean. The first crusade was due in part to turkish attacks on the Byzantine Empire, and also due to the sudden banning of Christian pilgrims from visiting their holy sights.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 02:38 pm
@avatar6v7,
The Crusades are complicated, and each Crusade had a myriad of causes. However, we can still make the generalization that the Crusades were economic, not religious, conflicts.

Because the Turks attacked the Byzantine Empire, trade with Byzantium was threatened. Because Christian pilgrims were banned, western Christian merchants lose money transporting and caring for said pilgrims. The Crusades go back to money, pure and simple.

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 02:40 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
The Crusades are complicated, and each Crusade had a myriad of causes. However, we can still make the generalization that the Crusades were economic, not religious, conflicts.

Because the Turks attacked the Byzantine Empire, trade with Byzantium was threatened. Because Christian pilgrims were banned, western Christian merchants lose money transporting and caring for said pilgrims. The Crusades go back to money, pure and simple.

But the crusades were fantasitically expensive, and while the gains could be lucrative, the potential for disaster was also vast.
0 Replies

Icon

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 02:44 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:

This is my point. Religion is not religious. These wars were fought for reasons other than religion because religion would not condone war.

Quote:

Further, Jews and Muslims and Christians do not worship the same God. Their respective Gods evolved from the same source, but they are not the same deity because each tradition worships in a different way and has different theological understandings of their deities.

The God is the same but the method of worship varies slightly. The general practice has very few differences though. They still pray in similar fashions, still have mass at specific times, still follow a doctrine of faith based on the same original understanding of the same diety. By all rational accounts, they worship the same god.

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 02:51 pm
@Icon,
Icon wrote:

The God is the same but the method of worship varies slightly. The general practice has very few differences though. They still pray in similar fashions, still have mass at specific times, still follow a doctrine of faith based on the same original understanding of the same diety. By all rational accounts, they worship the same god.

So the jews believe in the incarnation now? Or the Bible was given to jesus by an angel? Christianity, Judaism and Islam, all share common roots- being Abrahamic religions, but they have evolved into radically different religions.
0 Replies

Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 02:52 pm
@Icon,
But the crusades were fantasitically expensive, and while the gains could be lucrative, the potential for disaster was also vast.

It's not only the gains that they fought for, the Christians were fighting, especially in the First Crusade, to defend what they already had, which they thought was being threatened.

Going to war is a judgment that leaders make, regardless if their decision is a good one or not. The judgment was made to go to war to protect and further financial interests.

Icon wrote:
This is my point. Religion is not religious. These wars were fought for reasons other than religion because religion would not condone war.

Okay, but this does not make your point that religion is not religious. Take a look at my earlier response to your argument.

With respect to the Crusades, recall that one example or even a thousand examples of the misuse of religion do not in any way make the argument that religion is not religious. These examples do show that sometimes religion can be used in nonreligious ways, but this is quite different from your thesis.

Icon wrote:

No, the God is not the same. Again, the various faiths have different theological understandings of their deities. Even among Christians (or any other of these three monotheisms) we can find more than one notion of God - that is, we can find Christians worshiping Gods which are, theologically, incompatible with one another. For some, God is loving, for others God is vengeful, for still others God is both loving and vengeful.

I agree that they are ultimately trying to point toward the same thing, but this does not mean that the Gods being worship are the same.

For example, are Indra and Zeus the same God? The obvious answer is no, despite the fact that they both cast lightning bolts. Why are they different? Well, Zeus evolved out of Indra, and this evolution means that Zeus sheds some Indra-like qualities and adopts some non-Indra like qualities. Similarly, the God of Islam is not the same as the God of Christianity - both evolved from the same source, but in the process of this evolution these Gods became distinct deities with their own rites of worship, their own scripture and their own theological notions.
Dave Allen

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 02:58 pm
@Icon,
Icon wrote:
What about the wars actually condoned or celebrated in religious books? The walls of Jericho, the struggles between the Meccans and the Medians, stuff like that?

Many religious texts glorify warfare and discuss the methods by which it can be justified and perpetrated. Deuteronomy would seem a particularly nasty example - but even the Baghavad Gita discusses warfare and a soldier's duty with some prominence.

With these examples in the core texts of the books does it not then follow that, whilst wars are usually fought for various complex interelating reasons, religious texts do provide a great deal of inspiration for warlike behaviour?

As a quick example - and I'm not really wanting to pick on Islam here, I think the warlike aspects of Islam are vastly overblown by the media - but was the spread of Islam to Persia, North Africa, Turkey and beyond not a continuation of the wars of Mohammed and his companions - which are given holy 'backing' in the early suras of the Koran?
0 Replies

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 02:59 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
It's not only the gains that they fought for, the Christians were fighting, especially in the First Crusade, to defend what they already had, which they thought was being threatened.

Going to war is a judgment that leaders make, regardless if their decision is a good one or not. The judgment was made to go to war to protect and further financial interests.

You talk about 'leaders' in a way that implies some kind of modern centralised states, but in reality it was many different knights, lords and dukes heeding the popes call to arms. Now the Pope made the decision, not as a matter of finance, but one, as you say, of self defence. But this was not the defence of wealth, but of christian territory and christian security within Islamic territory. Despite what the cynics say, suprisingly few wars are fought over wealth, for the simple reason that war is very expensive.
Icon

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 03:00 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Okay, but this does not make your point that religion is not religious. Take a look at my earlier response to your argument.

With respect to the Crusades, recall that one example or even a thousand examples of the misuse of religion do not in any way make the argument that religion is not religious. These examples do show that sometimes religion can be used in nonreligious ways, but this is quite different from your thesis.

You are right. I allowed my passion for this subject to cloud my words. It has become apparent to me that there is less and less understanding of religion amongst religious people. This decline in understanding seems to point to about 1100 AD when religion and government became most heavily involved with each other.

Quote:

No, the God is not the same. Again, the various faiths have different theological understandings of their deities. Even among Christians (or any other of these three monotheisms) we can find more than one notion of God - that is, we can find Christians worshiping Gods which are, theologically, incompatible with one another. For some, God is loving, for others God is vengeful, for still others God is both loving and vengeful.

I agree that they are ultimately trying to point toward the same thing, but this does not mean that the Gods being worship are the same.

For example, are Indra and Zeus the same God? The obvious answer is no, despite the fact that they both cast lightning bolts. Why are they different? Well, Zeus evolved out of Indra, and this evolution means that Zeus sheds some Indra-like qualities and adopts some non-Indra like qualities. Similarly, the God of Islam is not the same as the God of Christianity - both evolved from the same source, but in the process of this evolution these Gods became distinct deities with their own rites of worship, their own scripture and their own theological notions.

I suppose this would be true if you consider that "God" is not a truth or a constant. By their very own definition of God, it must be the same one because God is everlasting and omnipotent. That which is everlasting withstands change. So do you suggest that you can redefine "God" in order to conceptualize the distrobution of belief?