I will prove god's existence if....

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 10:38 am
@xris,
xris wrote:
Prove he is benevolent..by examples..

examples mean nothing if they cannot be established as representative- I could give the example of Christ's healing a leper but you could no doubt find fault with this.
I would say that existance itself is good- that by giving us being and enabling us to live and be, he is benevolant. But no doubt you have an argument against these.
xris

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 10:53 am
@avatar6v7,
examples mean nothing if they cannot be established as representative- I could give the example of Christ's healing a leper but you could no doubt find fault with this.
I would say that existance itself is good- that by giving us being and enabling us to live and be, he is benevolant. But no doubt you have an argument against these.
No argument ..just that you have given me faith not proof...

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 11:47 am
@xris,
xris wrote:
No argument ..just that you have given me faith not proof...

you asked for examples.
xris

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 12:14 pm
@avatar6v7,
you asked for examples.
yes and you gave me none..dont play games just answer the request or i will assume you are full of empty promises and i have won the debate and you can not prove gods existance..
ciceronianus

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 01:53 pm
@avatar6v7,
Now you are being evasive. You are argueing against the premise I have set. I don't care. Tell me what kind of proof you want me to give, essentially the same kind of proof with which you justify your other beliefs, and if you can justify the proof as proof, I will either prove God by those terms or I will concede the point.

Not at all. I don't think God's existence can be proved. So, I am not able to supply you with a proof I "want" you to give. I don't think God can be proven or disproven, as those words are commonly used. So, naturally I am questioning your premise. If God exists, I don't think this existence can be established as we would establish other things, because, at the philosophical level, at least, God is generally described (deliberately? necessarily?) in such an abstract fashion that what we normally consider proof can have no application. I wish God's existence could be proven or disproven, but I don't believe that is possible.

Now, you seem to believe God's existence can be proven. Why? And then, how?

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 02:07 pm
@ciceronianus,
ciceronianus wrote:
Not at all. I don't think God's existence can be proved. So, I am not able to supply you with a proof I "want" you to give. I don't think God can be proven or disproven, as those words are commonly used. So, naturally I am questioning your premise. If God exists, I don't think this existence can be established as we would establish other things, because, at the philosophical level, at least, God is generally described (deliberately? necessarily?) in such an abstract fashion that what we normally consider proof can have no application. I wish God's existence could be proven or disproven, but I don't believe that is possible.

Now, you seem to believe God's existence can be proven. Why? And then, how?

do I now? I was not asking what proof I should give exactly- as that would indeed be you giving me the proof:rolleyes:, but rather asking what you regard as proof at all.
0 Replies

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 02:09 pm
@xris,
xris wrote:
yes and you gave me none..dont play games just answer the request or i will assume you are full of empty promises and i have won the debate and you can not prove gods existance..

you asked for examples of god's benovolance, I don't know why you asked that but I gave them. What it your problem?
Or you could be unwilling to answer this question- what do you regard as proof? and why?
I wonder why you are unwilling to anwer that because nobody has done that so far. Are you afraid of my response?:listening:
xris

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 02:35 pm
@avatar6v7,
you asked for examples of god's benovolance, I don't know why you asked that but I gave them. What it your problem?
Or you could be unwilling to answer this question- what do you regard as proof? and why?
I wonder why you are unwilling to anwer that because nobody has done that so far. Are you afraid of my response?:listening:
Im not afraid of your response im bewildered...i did not ask you to quote scriptures they for the agnostic have no valid reason for belief..if i wanted scriptures for proof i could have read the bible..written by man..I assumed by your claim you could give me a new insight a new revelation not yet privy to me..it seems you have no new proof just old rhetoric replayed for effect..no your a scam ..im sure you can do better..

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 03:25 pm
@xris,
xris wrote:
Im not afraid of your response im bewildered...i did not ask you to quote scriptures they for the agnostic have no valid reason for belief..if i wanted scriptures for proof i could have read the bible..written by man..I assumed by your claim you could give me a new insight a new revelation not yet privy to me..it seems you have no new proof just old rhetoric replayed for effect..no your a scam ..im sure you can do better..

Indeed I can. First meet my very simple request- tell me what for you constitutes proof- for instance here you say the bible is not, so obviously you have a specific idea as to what proof you will accept. Then tell me why this is the kind of proof you accept. Why not just do it? Just meet my request instead of asking questions that have little or nothing to do with this.
xris

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 04:32 pm
@avatar6v7,
Indeed I can. First meet my very simple request- tell me what for you constitutes proof- for instance here you say the bible is not, so obviously you have a specific idea as to what proof you will accept. Then tell me why this is the kind of proof you accept. Why not just do it? Just meet my request instead of asking questions that have little or nothing to do with this.
Please dont delay.. one confirmed act of benevolence..not difficult just one act of proven benevolence..I dont expect you can deliver but the exercise was revealing... no one can prove god..not even you for all your promises....

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 04:46 pm
@xris,
xris wrote:
Please dont delay.. one confirmed act of benevolence..not difficult just one act of proven benevolence..I dont expect you can deliver but the exercise was revealing... no one can prove god..not even you for all your promises....

tell me what proof is. not of god, in general. why will you not do it? have I mad my request sufficently clear? why are you delibratly ignoring it?
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 05:05 pm
@avatar6v7,
Before you can ask what a proof of God would look like, you will have to define God.

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 05:08 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Before you can ask what a proof of God would look like, you will have to define God.

I have asked others to define proof. A defintion of God will have to wait.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 06:47 pm
@avatar6v7,
But to say what a proof of God looks like, you have to first define God.

Let me ask - how can someone define proof if they have no idea what the proof is supposed to prove?
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 07:10 pm
@avatar6v7,
you tell me what kind of proof you require, and why it is proof at all.
Ok. Part the Red Sea for me.

For me to believe you, I require the following:

He needs to simultaneously speak to all of humanity in a way that makes himself understood, reveals himself as God, asserts his existence, and not a single person on earth is able to deny that it's God.

I've got a challenge for you. Using the scientific method, please propose to us a methodology to scientifically prove the existence of God. Yes, I know you'll have some technical quibble with the epistemology of science, but indulge me.

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 07:20 pm
@Aedes,
----------------------------------
not a proof of god

For me to believe you, I require the following:

He needs to simultaneously speak to all of humanity in a way that makes himself understood, reveals himself as God, asserts his existence, and not a single person on earth is able to deny that it's God.
-------------------------------------------------------
that would disprove god. he would have done this before if he was going to do it at all. obviously we are to come to believe in god through other means

I've got a challenge for you. Using the scientific method, please propose to us a methodology to scientifically prove the existence of God. Yes, I know you'll have some technical quibble with the epistemology of science, but indulge me.
----------------------------------------
I do have a quibble as it so happens. What makes science and the scientific method a valid system with which to prove anything?
Aedes

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 07:45 pm
@avatar6v7,
----------------------------------
not a proof of god
It would prove it to me.

Quote:
that would disprove god. he would have done this before if he was going to do it at all. obviously we are to come to believe in god through other means
So what you're saying is that if God were provable, he would have already proven himself. So you're either admitting that you cannot prove God or that he cannot or will not prove himself.

Quote:
I do have a quibble as it so happens. What makes science and the scientific method a valid system with which to prove anything?

Yup, I knew you'd hide behind epistemological minutia Wink Science may not offer ultimate proof, but it offers sufficient proof -- after all, that pill you took the last time you were sick could have killed you, but you trusted the science that developed and tested it.

I can prove to you that I've got blue eyes. Wanna know how? Come here and look. We can convene a panel of 10,000,000 experts to form a concensus.

Now you do something similar to prove God.
validity

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 11:49 pm
@avatar6v7,
you tell me what kind of proof you require, and why it is proof at all.
So post away and we will see if we prove or disprove anything by the end of it. :shifty:

Just in case there is a god, I know what proof I require and if you have such proof you will know how to use it.

I'll give you a hint, proof aint keeping it a secret.
0 Replies

Salo phil

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 02:49 am
@avatar6v7,
You believe only in your senses? Yet your senses can fool you- hallucinations, chemical changes in the brain, damage to the senses- is your view of the unvirse so limited and fragile? Why put your trust so totally in the senses?

Let me quote myself again just to be sure you read everything I said.

Salo wrote:
Not that I trust only my senses - but I trust them a lot more than I trust other people's words.

Trouble is, people who have direct communication with god are often described as insane... How would I know I'm not insane? I wouldn't. But that same question could be asked of any person who is religious.

Please note, again, that I DO NOT put my total trust in my senses. I am well aware that I may be insane, hallucinating or just plain mistaken. But there isn't anything else beyond my senses that I can trust better. All I can do is live my life as though what my senses tell me, is true. To do anything else leads to madness. If you go around thinking that everything you see and hear is an hallucination, you'll never be able to function in the real world.
0 Replies

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 06:33 am
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
It would prove it to me.

So what you're saying is that if God were provable, he would have already proven himself. So you're either admitting that you cannot prove God or that he cannot or will not prove himself.

Yup, I knew you'd hide behind epistemological minutia Wink Science may not offer ultimate proof, but it offers sufficient proof -- after all, that pill you took the last time you were sick could have killed you, but you trusted the science that developed and tested it.

I can prove to you that I've got blue eyes. Wanna know how? Come here and look. We can convene a panel of 10,000,000 experts to form a concensus.

Now you do something similar to prove God.

My proof is not of the kind you will like. But it is proof established by a rational logic. Answer my questions and we will see.