I will prove god's existence if....

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 11:50 am
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
I asked you to define intentionalist. You have yet to do so.

Before you introduced the word intentionalist, you made the following claim:

I deny that this is true with respect to science. And I defy you to demonstrate to me that REASON and PURPOSE are to be found anywhere in these scientific publications aside from a purely descriptive or mechanistic context.

Perhaps it would be helpful if you could define what you think scince is, and what it is for.
Intentionalist language means words that would demand intention and purpose on the behalf of the thing it is in refferance to. So for instance participation is an interaction with another or others, in order to acheive somthing.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 12:04 pm
@avatar6v7,
Science is used for many things, both practical and impractical, so that's a difficult question -- I mean my field, which is medicine, is an applied science much like engineering. But fundamentally science is a discipline that seeks to understand the physical world, its constituents, and its processes, by way of observation. Every hypothesis in science is testable through observation (including experimentation), and every conclusion has reference to data generated through observation. Logic applies only insofar as one must place observations in context with one another.

Quote:
participation is an interaction with another or others, in order to acheive somthing.

You use the word "intentionalist" synonymously with teleology. And teleology is basically anathema to science. It's like saying "we have a heart so that we can circulate blood". That is a teleological and non-scientific statement. All we can say is that the heart circulates blood. Sure, it's necessary, but it's not like the evolution or the embryonic development of the heart ever had the goal of circulation in mind -- it just so happens that the absence of a functioning heart (and circulation) is incompatible with life, and therefore does not persist.

So if I say that "glaciers participate in erosion", it's a mechanical statement -- there is no intentionality, no a priori purpose or goal contained in that statement. Participation need not imply that "in order to achieve something", and it's not used in that context in science.

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 12:12 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
Science is used for many things, both practical and impractical, so that's a difficult question -- I mean my field, which is medicine, is an applied science much like engineering. But fundamentally science is a discipline that seeks to understand the physical world, its constituents, and its processes, by way of observation. Every hypothesis in science is testable through observation (including experimentation), and every conclusion has reference to data generated through observation. Logic applies only insofar as one must place observations in context with one another.

Logic is surely the basis for scince?
Aedes wrote:

You use the word "intentionalist" synonymously with teleology. And teleology is basically anathema to science. It's like saying "we have a heart so that we can circulate blood". That is a teleological and non-scientific statement. All we can say is that the heart circulates blood. Sure, it's necessary, but it's not like the evolution or the embryonic development of the heart ever had the goal of circulation in mind -- it just so happens that the absence of a functioning heart (and circulation) is incompatible with life, and therefore does not persist.

So if I say that "glaciers participate in erosion", it's a mechanical statement -- there is no intentionality, no a priori purpose or goal contained in that statement. Participation need not imply that "in order to achieve something", and it's not used in that context in science.

My argument is that scince inevitably leads to teleolgy. Scince attempts to find patterns, and as it expands its reach creates a logical framework for the physical universe. Is that reasonble enough?
However if we can understand the universe using this artificial structure, surely the universe must be founded, physically speaking, on a similar basis? Surely it must be in some sense an artificact? Though of course what we call artificial is an indication of our own imperfect reflection of this.
Aedes

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 01:06 pm
@avatar6v7,
My argument is that scince inevitably leads to teleolgy.
Science also inevitably leads to science fiction movies; but neither teleology nor science fiction is science.

Philosophers of science, like Kuhn and Popper, were not scientists and they were not speaking the language of science. They were looking at science from outside and discussing it.

Same with teleology. The human mind indeed thinks teleologically, and perhaps you're right that inevitably we come to think of things that way.

But that is why science is so strict in its methodology -- to avoid letting human psychology contaminate it.

Quote:
Scince attempts to find patterns, and as it expands its reach creates a logical framework for the physical universe. Is that reasonble enough?
I might put it differently, but yes, I can go along with this.

Quote:
However if we can understand the universe using this artificial structure, surely the universe must be founded, physically speaking, on a similar basis?
But all you can do in scientific terms is say what is out there, or what was there in the past, etc. It's purely descriptive. Remember that science itself is reductionist. You can put all the science together to tell a story, but make no mistake that it's not teleological -- it doesn't look forward to goals, it looks backwards to evidence.
0 Replies

xris

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 01:14 pm
@avatar6v7,
I think we have a dilemma..well i have..i dont see a benevolent god or any described god but i can be persuaded that there appears a defined determination in the universe that demands explanation.Those of fanatical belief in a known god or those who only see science are both an obstacle for a new thinking that should be explored.Science itself is not the obstacle its the blinkered view certain scientists have to theorizing on the evidence we have..Science can not deny a creator but certain scientists see that as their first objective when entering debate..im lost between the devil and .....
0 Replies

jknilinux

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 01:34 pm
@avatar6v7,
Sorry, 35 pages is a bit much to review...

Did we discover a proof of God? Which proof are you discussing now?
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 04:48 pm
@avatar6v7,
Logic is surely the basis for scince.
No. Observation is. Scientific logic grows out of observations, not the other way around.
xris

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 04:14 am
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
No. Observation is. Scientific logic grows out of observations, not the other way around.
Could science ever be persuaded without observation ? It appears to me on so many occassions science can theorise on an event like the BB in the most strangest of ways with little observational evidence to support their claims..QM is another field of science that has no observational evidence for many of its claims. If someone like me tries to suggest in the lightest of debates that certain determined events should or could be considered as evidence of engineering it is dismissed with the usual disdain..I have no problem with science just the way certain scientists have double standards..
Dave Allen

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 06:42 am
@xris,
xris wrote:
If someone like me tries to suggest in the lightest of debates that certain determined events should or could be considered as evidence of engineering it is dismissed with the usual disdain..I have no problem with science just the way certain scientists have double standards..
Which scientists are you on about?
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 07:46 am
@xris,
xris;37222 wrote:
Could science ever be persuaded without observation ?
Any line of scientific discussion is always, 100% of the time, rooted in something observable. And the strength of any hypothesis, argument, logic, or rhetoric lives and dies with the evidence that supports it (or the feasibility of going out and getting such evidence).

Quote:
It appears to me on so many occassions science can theorise on an event like the BB in the most strangest of ways with little observational evidence to support their claims. QM is another field of science that has no observational evidence for many of its claims.
Neither fields would exist were it not for evidence. The data have undergone a lot of mathematical manipulation and theories have emerged to explain them; but you're wrong if you think that this isn't ultimately rooted in observable things. The expansion of the universe is not only observable, but it's frequently observed, for instance.

Quote:
If someone like me tries to suggest in the lightest of debates that certain determined events should or could be considered as evidence of engineering it is dismissed with the usual disdain..
Scientists have disdain for one another's ideas at times too.

But don't worry, your contention about engineering will be taken seriously the day you provide evidence that can only be interpreted as engineering.

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 11:33 am
@Aedes,
But observation is useless without logic. Observation comes first, but is justified by logic.
Aedes

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 01:19 pm
@avatar6v7,
You're missing the CRITICAL difference between philosophy and science here.

In science, logic is a bridge between observations. For instance, if I observe that humans and apes are more similar to one another than either is to dogs, but humans and apes and dogs are more similar to one another than any is to fish, then I can logically surmise a phylogenetic organization of these animals.

But when new observations come along, like genetic or fossil or whatever other kind of evidence, this CHANGES the logical story that has been told. It may not contradict it -- it may only supplement it. But the point is that the logic is 100% wholly subservient to the observations.

On the other hand, philosophical speculation scoffs at science's demand for empirical evidence. The assumption that logic can solve real world mysteries without constant reference to the observable is ABSENT in science, but it's common in philosophy (and certainly in philosophy that makes reference to religious ideas).

Philosophical assertions of truth and scientific assertions of truth make fundamentally different epistemologic assertions, and they are probably mutually exclusive.
xris

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 04:31 am
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
Any line of scientific discussion is always, 100% of the time, rooted in something observable. And the strength of any hypothesis, argument, logic, or rhetoric lives and dies with the evidence that supports it (or the feasibility of going out and getting such evidence).

Neither fields would exist were it not for evidence. The data have undergone a lot of mathematical manipulation and theories have emerged to explain them; but you're wrong if you think that this isn't ultimately rooted in observable things. The expansion of the universe is not only observable, but it's frequently observed, for instance.

Scientists have disdain for one another's ideas at times too.

But don't worry, your contention about engineering will be taken seriously the day you provide evidence that can only be interpreted as engineering.
So what evidence is there for say the multiverse theory? Im not denying any theory that stands observation is acceptable but on so many occassions theory comes first by pondering then observation is tried to fit the theory..There is a distinct difference and scientist are guilty of this on numerous occassions..QM is guilty nearly all the time and the theories are accepted without any observable evidence at all.
How much circumstantial evidence would you need to consider an engineered universe?you are prepared to accept thatbecause apes and humans look similar it requires investigation into their relationship but not that the perfect formation of the universe etc does not show the slightest intention..
Lothandyr

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 06:09 am
@avatar6v7,
I will prove god's existance if...you tell me what kind of proof you require, and why it is proof at all.
So post away and we will see if we prove or disprove anything by the end of it. :shifty:

I will prove you do not exist.
If.. you tell me what kind of proof you require. and why it is proof at all.

PS.. Your question was posted 20 years back by another...
Philosophy forums seem to end up education forums...
with backstabbing. Wink

Louis

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 08:41 am
@Lothandyr,
Lothandyr wrote:

I will prove you do not exist.
If.. you tell me what kind of proof you require. and why it is proof at all.

PS.. Your question was posted 20 years back by another...
Philosophy forums seem to end up education forums...
with backstabbing. Wink

Louis

I am sure you could do so, I would require some kind of logical proof, a chain of reasoning.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 10:52 am
@xris,
xris;37361 wrote:
So what evidence is there for say the multiverse theory?
I don't know, it's not my field of study. But it wouldn't take you very long to look through the scientific literature to find out. Get back to us and let us know.

Quote:
Im not denying any theory that stands observation is acceptable but on so many occassions theory comes first by pondering then observation is tried to fit the theory..There is a distinct difference and scientist are guilty of this on numerous occassions..QM is guilty nearly all the time and the theories are accepted without any observable evidence at all.
You seem to ignore the idea of a hypothesis, i.e. something proposed that can later be supported (or not) with observation.

Quote:
How much circumstantial evidence would you need to consider an engineered universe?
How about any evidence, for starters.

Quote:
you are prepared to accept thatbecause apes and humans look similar it requires investigation into their relationship but not that the perfect formation of the universe etc does not show the slightest intention..
Let's see, and also our genetic homology, and also the correspondance between genetic and physical phylogeny, and also the correspondance between fossil records and genetic divergence in noncoding sequences, and also the daily demonstration of evolution in experimental setings........
0 Replies

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 11:15 am
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:

On the other hand, philosophical speculation scoffs at science's demand for empirical evidence. The assumption that logic can solve real world mysteries without constant reference to the observable is ABSENT in science, but it's common in philosophy (and certainly in philosophy that makes reference to religious ideas).

Making any generalisation about Philosophy is dangerous as it is a very wide subject, and in this case you have indeed made that generalisation foolishly. Kant at the very least was attempting to create a system of morality and ethics that was equivalant to Newton's system for understanding the physical universe. Analytic philosophy, contemptible though it may be, attempts to reduce itself to a tool of scince.
Dave Allen

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 12:28 pm
@avatar6v7,
Well, he did suggest it was something commonly encountered - which leaves plenty of room for exceptions like Kant.

I'm not even sure Kant stands out as an exception - he didn't present and test empirical evidence to my knowledge. Like most philosophers he was just presenting (very elegant and enduring) arguments for the way he thought people ought to think and behave.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 11:12 am
@avatar6v7,
Making any generalisation about Philosophy is dangerous as it is a very wide subject, and in this case you have indeed made that generalisation foolishly.
I do generalize, but I also leave open the possibility of exception. The limits of philosophy are not fixed, and much of philosophy makes reference to the real world. And there is a growing field of experimental philosophy these days, which really subverts the notion tha truth in philosophy can be arrived at using logic alone.

Quote:
Kant at the very least was attempting to create a system of morality and ethics that was equivalant to Newton's system for understanding the physical universe.
Yeah, Kant also thought he could make a prescriptive system of morality for all humanity without travelling more than 20 feet from his bedroom for his entire life. Ok, an exaggeration -- more like 40 feet. Kant was a genius, but not genius enough to recognize his own hubris.

Quote:
Analytic philosophy, contemptible though it may be, attempts to reduce itself to a tool of scince.
How can you accuse me of foolish generalization when you are willing to call a field of study "contemptible"? Clearly not contemptible enough to avoid being an example...

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 11:41 am
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
I do generalize, but I also leave open the possibility of exception. The limits of philosophy are not fixed, and much of philosophy makes reference to the real world. And there is a growing field of experimental philosophy these days, which really subverts the notion tha truth in philosophy can be arrived at using logic alone.

Yeah, Kant also thought he could make a prescriptive system of morality for all humanity without travelling more than 20 feet from his bedroom for his entire life. Ok, an exaggeration -- more like 40 feet. Kant was a genius, but not genius enough to recognize his own hubris.

How can you accuse me of foolish generalization when you are willing to call a field of study "contemptible"? Clearly not contemptible enough to avoid being an example...

Oh I don't think that limiting philosophy is a good thing, simply that to say that philosophy is very broad, and so scince can justifiably be said to be under its umbrella. As can everything come to that.
0 Replies