Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 10:52 am
As drunk as a sk... ? It's quite a fuzz here in Belgium. Secretary Michel Dearden probably had a little too much before he gave this speech in the belgian Senate. Some parties demand his demission, others are more forgiving. What do you think? Isn't the guy a great comical talent?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KHKr2ZQxDA
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,697 • Replies: 5
No top replies

melonkali

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 01:21 pm
@Catchabula,
Bravo!! Bravo!!

I don't know which I enjoyed most, the speaker's "style", the expressions on the faces of the three "higher ups" sitting behind him (especially when they had to cover their mouths), the expressions on the faces of listeners in the audience (senate?), or the English sub-title translations like "????".

I hope he doesn't lose his position -- it's refreshing to see signs of harmless "humanity" in political figures. But if he does, yes, he definitely has a future in show-biz, and could probably write a best seller.

How does the Belgian public generally feel about it?

Thanks for sharing this delightful episode.

rebecca
0 Replies

Catchabula

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 10:21 am
@Catchabula,
Well, the incident is already largely forgotten. You will understand that it were only the opposition parties who demanded his demission, after what they called "a shameful spectacle". His speech was funny yes, and largely unintentionally, but not shameful. One has to be a sourpuss to perceive it like that.
0 Replies

Lily

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 08:39 am
@Catchabula,
:lol:It would have been really funny if he had turned to those who sat behind him and said "I'm not saying this beacause I'm drunk, but I love you guys"
0 Replies

Pyrrho

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 02:42 pm
@Catchabula,
Given how good Belgian ale can be, it is surprising that this sort of thing does not happen more often. Really, he is a true patriot, advertising a famous export for Belgium. It is making me wish I was drinking some Belgian ale right now...
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 04:02 am
@Catchabula,
Catchabula;119376 wrote:
As drunk as a sk... ? It's quite a fuzz here in Belgium. Secretary Michel Dearden probably had a little too much before he gave this speech in the belgian Senate. Some parties demand his demission, others are more forgiving. What do you think? Isn't the guy a great comical talent?
- if it's a frequent occurance, yes!
- if he is a high asset to the politics, maybe.

...but imo kick him, just for the common good of all.
0 Replies