Truthsearchers! Go To Science Forum Afar!

HexHammer

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 09:33 pm
@amist,
amist;144368 wrote:
What in the hell does what I said have anything to do with there being stupid people on science forums? The issue at hand is philosophy v. science as fields which find truths.
Yes? ..it depends on the avereage IQ/RQ to help one find the truth.

If a random forum only had retards ..it would be hard to find any kind of truth you are seeking, if a random forum had very high IQ/RQ members then it may be easier? ..yes?
0 Replies

amist

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 09:44 pm
@HexHammer,
You wouldn't go to midnafanforum.com if a survey came out saying that they had the highest IQ's of any forum membership base on the planet and then ask them what 'truth' is, or what truths there are in the world. It'd be off topic. I guess you could go to the random discussion section perhaps?

In any case where are your statistics saying that any particular 'sience' forum has a higher IQ per member ratio than this forum anyways? Oh wait, you don't have any, that's right. You're making baseless dogmatic accusations aren't you? You clearly have no idea how either science or philosophy work. You're obviously getting a little bit ahead of yourself here, stop doing both and go learn something about them before you get so dogmatic about your positions regarding them.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 09:59 pm
@HexHammer,
If you have low IQ in philosophy forum and speak nonsens, it has no consequenses ..thereby keeping the idiots, who will pollute the threads.

If you have low IQ in a sience forum and speak nonsens, it has consequenses ..thereby weeding out the idiots.
0 Replies

amist

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 10:11 pm
@HexHammer,
1. Just because there are consequences, doesn't mean the idiots get weeded out.

2. I'm not seeing how being an idiot in a philosophy forum on the internet is any more or less detrimental to society than being an idiot in a 'sience' forum. It's an internet forum, people have just accepted that they are all going to be populated by idiots.

3. It is spelled 'science', not 'sience'

Unless you have some real statistics or other objections I think we're done here.
HexHammer

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 10:15 pm
@amist,
amist;144378 wrote:
1. Just because there are consequences, doesn't mean the idiots get weeded out.

2. I'm not seeing how being an idiot in a philosophy forum on the internet is any more or less detrimental to society than being an idiot in a 'sience' forum. It's an internet forum, people have just accepted that they are all going to be populated by idiots.

3. It is spelled 'science', not 'sience'

Unless you have some real statistics or other objections I think we're done here.
Yesyes I'm trying to get over my habbit of bad spelling, come to Denmark and spell words that are not familiar to you, and let's see how well you do.

Well now you ruin my philosophy, this isn't a sience forum where claims should be backed up by facts! Very Happy
0 Replies

amist

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 10:18 pm
@HexHammer,
Scientific claims should be backed up by facts. This is the domain of science.
Analytic claims should be backed up by logic. This is the domain of philosophy.

Now that we've cleared this up I think we'll all be a lot happier.
HexHammer

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 10:21 pm
@amist,
amist;144384 wrote:
Scientific claims should be backed up by facts. This is the domain of science.
Analytic claims should be backed up by logic. This is the domain of philosophy.

Now that we've cleared this up I think we'll all be a lot happier.
As you said, what I claimed.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 01:44 am
@richard mcnair,
richard_mcnair;144345 wrote:
I don't believe science can tell us everything... in fact I think it can't even tell us anything that important really. I think a science forum is the last place to go for a 'truth-seeker'.

Except that, as someone said, truth is more important than importance.
0 Replies

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 04:42 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;144235 wrote:
It puzzles me so, why so many truthsearchers comes to this forum, in search of truths, when a sience forum is the simple answer, because in a philosophy forum your thesis doesn't have to be siencetific, it can be purely spekulation made up by psycotic and skitzophrenic people, with their nonsens and babble.

It is hard to tell when you think non-sense, babble is gezellig kletsen.
[CENTER]:bigsmile:
[/CENTER]
0 Replies

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 11:30 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;144321 wrote:
And, there are conceptual truths, as well as scientific or empirical truths.

For example, that we cannot know what is false is not (so far as I can tell) an empirical or scientific truth. But it is a truth. A conceptual truth.

Why is it so hard to accept there is nothing absolute ? First we can not measure very well. Concepts stimulate development of techniques.

There's no Absolute Thruth in Religions. The Abramatic Religions fight the most, but talk about Paece/Pax?Mir

Development of Humanities Responsibilities 4 Eartha
Mr Kitty would UnderStood

Sin, Pepijn Sweep
f. c/ Fausto Pal,as de Mallorca
:bigsmile:Laughing
0 Replies

Pyrrho

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 12:17 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;144342 wrote:
Then the relevant stuff has escaped me ..constantly.

So what is it that you are wanting to know? If you want to know how to live your life, a good first place to look is:

Epicurus and Epicurean Philosophy

And if you do not have the time or inclination to look further, that will do very well on its own. But if you wish to consider the matter further, that can also be done.

But what is it that you hope to find? If you go into a cheese shop looking for a bicycle, you are the one making the mistake, not the owner of the cheese shop. Of course, if what is supposed to be there isn't there, then you are right to complain about not getting what is supposed to be there:

YouTube - The Cheese Shop sketch, Monty Python

Again, though, if you actually want help finding something, you would be much more likely to get help finding it if you indicated what it is that you want.
0 Replies

amist

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 12:41 pm
@HexHammer,
Quote:
Why is it so hard to accept there is nothing absolute ?

Because as a matter of fact, there are absolutes.

Would you argue that math changes? Or that there are some bachelors who are not men?
kennethamy

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 12:49 pm
@amist,
amist;144693 wrote:
Because as a matter of fact, there are absolutes.

Would you argue that math changes? Or that there are some bachelors who are not men?

Absolutely not! But does that absolutely mean that there are no absolutes?
0 Replies

Pyrrho

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 12:52 pm
@richard mcnair,
richard_mcnair;144345 wrote:
I don't believe science can tell us everything... in fact I think it can't even tell us anything that important really. I think a science forum is the last place to go for a 'truth-seeker'.

Nothing important? I dare you to go for one full day without using the fruits of science, and see if at the end of it you do not decide that it is not very important. No running water, no electricity, no purified water, no farmed food, no.... But, of course, if you are living in a modern country, you cannot go without the fruits of science for one day, because you have been vaccinated against various diseases. That, too, you must regard as unimportant if science is unimportant. Anyone on the internet who says that science is not important should get off the damned internet, which is itself a product of science.

You are, of course, right that science does not tell us everything. But it does tell us quite a lot, and much of it is very important.
0 Replies

amist

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 12:57 pm
@HexHammer,
Quote:
Absolutely not! But does that absolutely mean that there are no absolutes?

Erm...do you want to rephrase this? I wasn't arguing that there were no absolutes. It's a good point against Pepin though.
0 Replies

froach

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 01:13 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;144235 wrote:
It puzzles me so, why so many truthsearchers comes to this forum, in search of truths, when a sience forum is the simple answer, because in a philosophy forum your thesis doesn't have to be siencetific, it can be purely spekulation made up by psycotic and skitzophrenic people, with their nonsens and babble.

so you are looking for philosophy, why are wasting your time try on this?
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 01:19 pm
@froach,
froach;144724 wrote:

Greetins Lady !

I have soo much TyM
Smells good, delicious in a stew.

Isn't this Loving Sophia ?

Pop by any Time,
PepI
:bigsmile:Laughing
froach

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 01:52 pm
@Pepijn Sweep,
yes loving sophia:bigsmile:

I drown my thyme plant:Not-Impressed:, shame beautiful pink flowers
HexHammer

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 02:05 pm
@froach,
froach;144724 wrote:
You don't understand my message, read it again.
froach

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 02:16 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;144782 wrote:
You don't understand my message, read it again.

my mistake:flowers:
0 Replies