1
   

Truthsearchers! Go To Science Forum Afar!

 
 
Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 04:29 pm
It puzzles me so, why so many truthsearchers comes to this forum, in search of truths, when a sience forum is the simple answer, because in a philosophy forum your thesis doesn't have to be siencetific, it can be purely spekulation made up by psycotic and skitzophrenic people, with their nonsens and babble.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,153 • Replies: 46
No top replies

 
Jebediah
 
  1  
Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 04:40 pm
@HexHammer,
Because on a science forum, unless they are speculating as well, they can only talk about what there is evidence for. And there are many things that people want to know about that are not answered by science.
HexHammer
 
  1  
Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 04:41 pm
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;144244 wrote:
Because on a science forum, unless they are speculating as well, they can only talk about what there is evidence for. And there are many things that people want to know about that are not answered by science.
Thought sience forums had such concepts as "theories" ?
Jebediah
 
  1  
Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 05:09 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;144246 wrote:
Thought sience forums had such concepts as "theories" ?


Theories require evidence. Usually lots of it.
HexHammer
 
  1  
Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 05:12 pm
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;144266 wrote:
Theories require evidence. Usually lots of it.
But let's not dodge the real matter at hand, it's more likely to discover truths in sience fora than philosphy fora ..that should be a truth and a fact.
Night Ripper
 
  1  
Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 05:13 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;144235 wrote:
It puzzles me so, why so many truthsearchers comes to this forum, in search of truths, when a sience forum is the simple answer, because in a philosophy forum your thesis doesn't have to be siencetific, it can be purely spekulation made up by psycotic and skitzophrenic people, with their nonsens and babble.


Science doesn't offer true beliefs. It offers fewer false beliefs. Hypotheses are never verified, only falsified.

(Though of course predictions can be verified.)
HexHammer
 
  1  
Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 05:16 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;144272 wrote:
Science doesn't offer true beliefs. It offers fewer false beliefs. Hypotheses are never verified, only falsified.

(Though of course predictions can be verified.)
[interpetation]Sience isn't for the fools and naive persons who wants to endulge their nonsens and babble, in sience fora you will have your bubble bursted.
0 Replies
 
Pyrrho
 
  1  
Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 06:43 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;144235 wrote:
It puzzles me so, why so many truthsearchers comes to this forum, in search of truths, when a sience forum is the simple answer, because in a philosophy forum your thesis doesn't have to be siencetific, it can be purely spekulation made up by psycotic and skitzophrenic people, with their nonsens and babble.


I suppose I might as well ask, since someone is bound to anyway, why are you at this forum instead of a science forum?

However, I think there are two reasons to be here instead of at a science forum. The first one you have already given yourself, as some people are foolish and try to deal with questions that are answerable better by science, but they do not like the answers that science gives them, and being unreasonable, they seek other answers and imagine that they can get away with their nonsense in a philosophy forum. The second reason is hinted at in the way I have worded the first question: Science does not deal with all questions, and so someone might want to examine these other questions that are considered to be philosophy. For example, how should one live one's life? Science is not well suited for giving an answer to that question, though it can certainly help with the means and intermediate goals once one has decided upon whatever it is that one ultimately wants out of life. For example, if one came to the conclusion that life is not worth living, science would be helpful in achieving the desired goal effectively. But it cannot supply the goal.
kennethamy
 
  1  
Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 06:48 pm
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;144316 wrote:
I suppose I might as well ask, since someone is bound to anyway, why are you at this forum instead of a science forum?

However, I think there are two reasons to be here instead of at a science forum. The first one you have already given yourself, as some people are foolish and try to deal with questions that are answerable better by science, but they do not like the answers that science gives them, and being unreasonable, they seek other answers and imagine that they can get away with their nonsense in a philosophy forum. The second reason is hinted at in the way I have worded the first question: Science does not deal with all questions, and so someone might want to examine these other questions that are considered to be philosophy. For example, how should one live one's life? Science is not well suited for giving an answer to that question, though it can certainly help with the means and intermediate goals once one has decided upon whatever it is that one ultimately wants out of life. For example, if one came to the conclusion that life is not worth living, science would be helpful in achieving the desired goal effectively. But it cannot supply the goal.


And, there are conceptual truths, as well as scientific or empirical truths.

For example, that we cannot know what is false is not (so far as I can tell) an empirical or scientific truth. But it is a truth. A conceptual truth.
HexHammer
 
  1  
Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 06:49 pm
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;144316 wrote:
I suppose I might as well ask, since someone is bound to anyway, why are you at this forum instead of a science forum?

However, I think there are two reasons to be here instead of at a science forum. The first one you have already given yourself, as some people are foolish and try to deal with questions that are answerable better by science, but they do not like the answers that science gives them, and being unreasonable, they seek other answers and imagine that they can get away with their nonsense in a philosophy forum. The second reason is hinted at in the way I have worded the first question: Science does not deal with all questions, and so someone might want to examine these other questions that are considered to be philosophy. For example, how should one live one's life? Science is not well suited for giving an answer to that question, though it can certainly help with the means and intermediate goals once one has decided upon whatever it is that one ultimately wants out of life. For example, if one came to the conclusion that life is not worth living, science would be helpful in achieving the desired goal effectively. But it cannot supply the goal.
Where excatly do I state that I seek truth? ..I belive I specifically stated that truthsearchers should go to sience forum afar?
wayne
 
  1  
Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 08:00 pm
@HexHammer,
There are many questions asked here that provoke thought on the matter of how we live our lives. I can only learn so much from the loose ideas rattling around in my head before I have to get them out there for some feed back, and adjust my world view accordingly. Sometimes the process isn't pretty, but it needn't be. I think it was once said there are no stupid questions. The seeming drivel spouted out at times is entirely on the perspective of the viewer. Pocket philosophy? Any one of us spending some time in the real world would do well to listen closely to the pocket philosophy spouted at this table.
HexHammer
 
  1  
Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 08:13 pm
@wayne,
wayne;144335 wrote:
Pocket philosophy? Any one of us spending some time in the real world would do well to listen closely to the pocket philosophy spouted at this table.
Then the relevant stuff has escaped me ..constantly.
wayne
 
  1  
Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 08:17 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;144342 wrote:
Then the relevant stuff has escaped me ..constantly.


Sometimes its as simple as our signatures ,tiny truths brick by brick
richard mcnair
 
  1  
Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 08:19 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;144235 wrote:
It puzzles me so, why so many truthsearchers comes to this forum, in search of truths, when a sience forum is the simple answer, because in a philosophy forum your thesis doesn't have to be siencetific, it can be purely spekulation made up by psycotic and skitzophrenic people, with their nonsens and babble.

I don't believe science can tell us everything... in fact I think it can't even tell us anything that important really. I think a science forum is the last place to go for a 'truth-seeker'.
HexHammer
 
  1  
Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 08:19 pm
@wayne,
wayne;144343 wrote:
Sometimes its as simple as our signatures ,tiny truths brick by brick
So a whole forum for a few signatures? ..wauw?

Could you please be a bit more serious?

---------- Post added 03-27-2010 at 03:24 AM ----------

richard_mcnair;144345 wrote:
I don't believe science can tell us everything... in fact I think it can't even tell us anything that important really. I think a science forum is the last place to go for a 'truth-seeker'.
You don't know the psycology term "group think" ? ..less any study about it?
wayne
 
  1  
Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 08:36 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;144346 wrote:
So a whole forum for a few signatures? ..wauw?

Could you please be a bit more serious?


Ok ,theres more to it than that. I get a lot out of some of the discusions here, even the arguments. I try to see the people too. A lot of the stufff I read here is beyond my education, but I learn a little every day. I use what I can. Everyone here has a different life,with different needs. I work for an alcohol,drug addiction treatment facility, I have to play Dad to anywhere from 20 to 40 alcoholics and addicts every day, I need a little philosophy in my life, a little silliness and humor too. I get a bit of all that here, and some friendship too, my friend. Smile

---------- Post added 03-27-2010 at 03:24 AM ----------
HexHammer
 
  1  
Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 08:45 pm
@wayne,
wayne;144351 wrote:
Ok ,theres more to it than that. I get a lot out of some of the discusions here, even the arguments. I try to see the people too. A lot of the stufff I read here is beyond my education, but I learn a little every day. I use what I can. Everyone here has a different life,with different needs. I work for an alcohol,drug addiction treatment facility, I have to play Dad to anywhere from 20 to 40 alcoholics and addicts every day, I need a little philosophy in my life, a little silliness and humor too. I get a bit of all that here, and some friendship too, my friend. Smile
I see, so that's the cross you are dragging around.

Your reasoning could better fit a sience forum, and none fits why a philosophy forum should be better than a sience forum. However I guess the relaxed factor of cracking jokes off, could better fit the philosophy forum, but that doesn't account for what this topic is about ..truths ..searching for truth.
0 Replies
 
amist
 
  1  
Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 09:14 pm
@HexHammer,
Goddamnit Hex if you're going to be bullheaded and ignorant at least learn to spell 'science' correctly. Science does not, will never, and can not tell us what is true. It can tell us what is probably true, if we accept its axioms(causation, the existence of the external world, perceptions reflect actual objects), which I personally find to be pretty reasonable.

Science is always gathering evidence to support theories. Even the theory of gravity has to be verified and re verified and it could still one day be disproven or the laws of the universe could begin to operate differently, there's nothing stopping that from happening. The more evidence you build up for an inductive claim the stronger the claim becomes, the claim never reaches 'truth' it merely gains in strength(these are the kinds of claims science makes/works with in case you didn't know).
HexHammer
 
  1  
Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 09:25 pm
@amist,
HexHammer;144235 wrote:
It puzzles me so, why so many truthsearchers comes to this forum, in search of truths, when a sience forum is the simple answer, because in a philosophy forum your thesis doesn't have to be siencetific, it can be purely spekulation made up by psycotic and skitzophrenic people, with their nonsens and babble.


amist;144365 wrote:
Science does not, will never, and can not tell us what is true. It can tell us what is probably true, if we accept its axioms(causation, the existence of the external world, perceptions reflect actual objects), which I personally find to be pretty reasonable.

Science is always gathering evidence to support theories. Even the theory of gravity has to be verified and re verified and it could still one day be disproven or the laws of the universe could begin to operate differently, there's nothing stopping that from happening. The more evidence you build up for an inductive claim the stronger the claim becomes, the claim never reaches 'truth' it merely gains in strength(these are the kinds of claims science makes/works with in case you didn't know).
Yes, see?
..well not saying science fora doesn't have it's share of idiots, psycotic and skitz' people, just that I find it a step higher.
0 Replies
 
amist
 
  1  
Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 09:28 pm
@HexHammer,
What in the hell does what I said have anything to do with there being stupid people on science forums? The issue at hand is philosophy v. science as fields which find truths.
 

Related Topics

How can we be sure? - Discussion by Raishu-tensho
Proof of nonexistence of free will - Discussion by litewave
morals and ethics, how are they different? - Question by existential potential
Destroy My Belief System, Please! - Discussion by Thomas
Star Wars in Philosophy. - Discussion by Logicus
Existence of Everything. - Discussion by Logicus
Is it better to be feared or loved? - Discussion by Black King
 
  1. Forums
  2. » Truthsearchers! Go To Science Forum Afar!
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.05 seconds on 06/23/2021 at 08:07:32