secular amish

xris

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 02:41 pm
@Elmud,
Elmud wrote:
Xris. The only thing you would be able to look forward to in that lifestyle would be breakfast, lunch and dinner. And then, sleep. Then, the next day, same thing again. Oh, and by the way, no electricity so no internet. Your interaction with others would be limited to those in your community. I'm thinking it would last for , oh, say a week or two before you began to pull the hair out.

---------- Post added at 03:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 PM ----------

Oh. and i forgot, work. From sunup to sundown.
Dont destroy my dream ..stop being logical.I know the truth but i still yearn a certain innocent survival..I know i have to have my night in the pub..karioke..six or seven beers ..a laugh..a young girls smile..cant we have it all..??
Elmud

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 05:07 pm
@xris,
xris wrote:
Dont destroy my dream ..stop being logical.I know the truth but i still yearn a certain innocent survival..I know i have to have my night in the pub..karioke..six or seven beers ..a laugh..a young girls smile..cant we have it all..??

I have not noticed very many Amish in the bars I use to frequent.lol. No Xris. If you're Amish, you'll get nothing and like it.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 06:44 am
@Elmud,
Caroline wrote:
I think a balance is needed between consumerism and 'the simple life'.

Why?

Consumerism equates happiness with consumption and material possession. If happiness is not equivalent to consumption/material possession then we should eschew consumerism - assuming happiness to be our aim in life.

That is not to say that we should not consume or have material possessions, only that we should not confuse ourselves by thinking that our happiness is bound up in consumption and material possession. We certainly need to eat, consume, and having material possessions is not necessarily a bad thing (I sure do like my books) but if these things are not the path to happiness then we need to abandon consumerism.

In the "simple life" people consume and have material possessions, but they are not dependent on those things for happiness. Instead of balancing consumerism with the simple life we should be moderate in our consumption and possession so that we can pursue real happiness without the distraction of empty, senseless consumption and materialism - which is consumerism.
xris

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 07:04 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Why?

Consumerism equates happiness with consumption and material possession. If happiness is not equivalent to consumption/material possession then we should eschew consumerism - assuming happiness to be our aim in life.

That is not to say that we should not consume or have material possessions, only that we should not confuse ourselves by thinking that our happiness is bound up in consumption and material possession. We certainly need to eat, consume, and having material possessions is not necessarily a bad thing (I sure do like my books) but if these things are not the path to happiness then we need to abandon consumerism.

In the "simple life" people consume and have material possessions, but they are not dependent on those things for happiness. Instead of balancing consumerism with the simple life we should be moderate in our consumption and possession so that we can pursue real happiness without the distraction of empty, senseless consumption and materialism - which is consumerism.
Im not what you might call a consumerholic, i have no great excessive desires for possessions but still i crave for a more simpler life. I know many who survive without television, computers mobile phones..cell phones...Its the dream rather than the reality,a yearning for the lost innocent days of rural bliss,when in reality it was extremely harsh..Ill just carry on growing my spuds and peas ,drive my little green car, trot down the pub once a week and try to be a bit more content.
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 11:17 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Why?

Why? Lots of reasons-
a) Consumerism already exists so it would be hard for some\alot of people to adjust.
b) I don't think there's anything wrong with buying a good cd and jumping on the internet to talk to my friends. My happiness doesn't depend on these things but I do experience enjoyment from these things and I dont think there's anything wrong with unless it's harming anybody.
c) Technology comes with alot of advantages,-medical, discovery, communications to name but a few. With technology comes development which can lead to consumerism.
In my opinion it's what we do with it that counts such as pollution suffering etc. If we were more enviromentally friendly towards are planet and the way business affects the poor was changed and so on, what is the harm?
Like I said my happiness doesnt depend on it but i do enjoy a good film, dance and so on, I think it's finding a balance, i know that im spiritual too so i havent got a problem with having a good thrashing on my games console with a take-out, once and awhile. But i did yearn for the good-life and it was because i was frustated, frustrated at having no control over what when in my food for instance, (i wanted fresh food with no added rubbish in it at all-which is a joke anyway with all the traffic fumes around), but it would be very hard work to toll day in and day out, and you got to ask why we drifteed to towns to seek work, because that was where the money was and of course as technology advanced, (naturally), industry took off and we have mass consumerism on a big scale and i think there's not enough focus on what's good for the soul-a sunny day in the park, birds flittering to and frow, a babies smile, laughter and a beautiful sunset horizon, as long as i dont ever forget these things im happy but i definately think that there's not enough of it about. Smile
Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2009 08:08 pm
@Caroline,
Caroline wrote:
Why? Lots of reasons-
a) Consumerism already exists so it would be hard for some\alot of people to adjust.

That's not a reason to run with consumerism. Instead, it's a statement of part of the difficulty of reversing this cultural trend.

Caroline wrote:
b) I don't think there's anything wrong with buying a good cd and jumping on the internet to talk to my friends. My happiness doesn't depend on these things but I do experience enjoyment from these things and I dont think there's anything wrong with unless it's harming anybody.

I agree. But you can do those things and eschew consumerism. Consumerism is mistaking consumption and material possession for happiness. Enjoying a CD and using the internet may be, but is not necessarily, mistaking consumption and material possession for happiness.

Pleasure and happiness are not the same thing. You seem to recognize this: you enjoy the CD and talking to your friends online, but you do not seem to expect these things to produce happiness, only fleeting pleasure.

Caroline wrote:
c) Technology comes with alot of advantages,-medical, discovery, communications to name but a few. With technology comes development which can lead to consumerism.

Absolutely, we have a consumer society because of the way we used our technological advances, and the way we continue to use them. But we can have technological advancement without consumerism, just as we can have technological advancement without war (after all, war has been the primary driver for technological advancement - and I doubt you would argue in favor of constant war for the sake of new technology).

Caroline wrote:
In my opinion it's what we do with it that counts such as pollution suffering etc. If we were more enviromentally friendly towards are planet and the way business affects the poor was changed and so on, what is the harm?

I think Arthur Miller's Death of a Salesman touches on the harm of consumerism. Consumer culture shapes the way we perceive our self. If we assume that our happiness is dependent upon consumption and material possession, we will waste our lives for the sake of these things. We will be, like Willy Loman, willing to end our lives for the sake of our children's material wealth and ability to consume.

And consider: are environmental protection and social compassion compatible with consumerism? If our happiness is the same as our consumption and material possession, then we must ruin the planet for the sake of our happiness; we have absolutely no reason to be concerned with others because our happiness has nothing to do with them, our happiness comes from consumption and aquisition of things.

Let's think about this: is our happiness the same as our ability and tendency to consume and acquire possessions? Or is our happiness something else? If our happiness is something else, then we have to reject consumerism.
Caroline

Reply Thu 16 Apr, 2009 12:34 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
That's not a reason to run with consumerism. Instead, it's a statement of part of the difficulty of reversing this cultural trend.

I agree. But you can do those things and eschew consumerism. Consumerism is mistaking consumption and material possession for happiness. Enjoying a CD and using the internet may be, but is not necessarily, mistaking consumption and material possession for happiness.

Pleasure and happiness are not the same thing. You seem to recognize this: you enjoy the CD and talking to your friends online, but you do not seem to expect these things to produce happiness, only fleeting pleasure.

Absolutely, we have a consumer society because of the way we used our technological advances, and the way we continue to use them. But we can have technological advancement without consumerism, just as we can have technological advancement without war (after all, war has been the primary driver for technological advancement - and I doubt you would argue in favor of constant war for the sake of new technology).

I think Arthur Miller's Death of a Salesman touches on the harm of consumerism. Consumer culture shapes the way we perceive our self. If we assume that our happiness is dependent upon consumption and material possession, we will waste our lives for the sake of these things. We will be, like Willy Loman, willing to end our lives for the sake of our children's material wealth and ability to consume.

And consider: are environmental protection and social compassion compatible with consumerism? If our happiness is the same as our consumption and material possession, then we must ruin the planet for the sake of our happiness; we have absolutely no reason to be concerned with others because our happiness has nothing to do with them, our happiness comes from consumption and aquisition of things.

Let's think about this: is our happiness the same as our ability and tendency to consume and acquire possessions? Or is our happiness something else? If our happiness is something else, then we have to reject consumerism.

Yes it is a statement, i didnt say other wise:)

How can you do otherwise DT? If you enjoy a cd for example you still have to consume/buy it, yes?

I disagree, i dont think war is the primary reason for technology to advance, i believe it's mans quest for knowledge that drove it on, we needed to know why the earth was round, why the sea is blue etc. And your right, I would not argue in favour of war for the sake of technological advancement, im just stating how it is, if it meant war would stop if we stop tech' advancing then to me that would be good, we do need universal security/protection for our planet, again i would argue it is what we do with it that counts, we control the damage. Think of all the good things that have come out of tech' advancing,eg,we can catch murderers etc with better forensic science. What i did argue is it is what we do with it/the by product that counts.

I agree on your point that people whose happiness depends on material consumption must lead shallow lives.

And your statement in your last paragraph is a sad one-to ruin our planet for the sake of materialism is wrong and its stupid, as i said DT, i think it's about finding a balance where are consumerism does not harm our planet, after all even buying food, ( a necessity), can cause harm to our planet so all aspects of consumerism needs to be addressed in order for it to stop damaging the earth environmentally.

And why do we have to reject consumerism if our happiness doesnt depend on it, i enjoy the stuff i do and if it isnt harming anyone then why DT, why should i give up my time/enjoyment on the net for example?
Khethil

Reply Thu 16 Apr, 2009 06:05 am
@Caroline,
At times I too find the notion of joining up such an organization very, very appealing; and I don't think we'd lose much.

Yes, daily life would be experienced without the daily 'conveniences' so many of us have become accustomed. Heck, from what I understand most of the day is spent taking care of the practical aspects of food, shelter, clothing and such. But who says there's not satisfaction in mending one's clothes, taking satisfaction in growing food, chopping wood; good, honest hard work that puts us back in touch with our physical environment.

Yea - it's undoubtedly full of unknowns. Even so, I've found myself seriously considering deals like this more than once.

Thanks
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2009 06:48 pm
@Khethil,
Caroline wrote:
Yes it is a statement, i didnt say other wise:)

But the problem is that the statement (we're talking about your first point, right?) is not a reason to accept consumerism. It's an anecdote about the difficulty of reversing this cultural trend.

Caroline wrote:
How can you do otherwise DT? If you enjoy a cd for example you still have to consume/buy it, yes?

Yes, but buying and enjoying a CD is not the same as living your life in such a way that assumes that the only way you can be happy is through consumption and material possession.

Caroline wrote:
I disagree, i dont think war is the primary reason for technology to advance, i believe it's mans quest for knowledge that drove it on, we needed to know why the earth was round, why the sea is blue etc.

Trace the periods of technological advancement. Look at the major innovations. Radio - war. Nuclear power - war. Modern medicine - typically war. Navigation - war. Metalworking - war. Superglue - war. On and on.

Caroline wrote:
Think of all the good things that have come out of tech' advancing,eg,we can catch murderers etc with better forensic science. What i did argue is it is what we do with it/the by product that counts.

And I think the point I would highlight is that consumerism has unique byproducts that are necessarily destructive. When we take as truth the notion that happiness can only come about by consumption and/or material possession we order our lives, develop a sense of self, that conforms to that notion. If that notion is incorrect then we have created a false sense of self, a misunderstanding of our basic natures.

Caroline wrote:
And your statement in your last paragraph is a sad one-to ruin our planet for the sake of materialism is wrong and its stupid, as i said DT, i think it's about finding a balance where are consumerism does not harm our planet, after all even buying food, ( a necessity), can cause harm to our planet so all aspects of consumerism needs to be addressed in order for it to stop damaging the earth environmentally.

But there's the problem: can consumerism have such a balance and still be consumerism? According to consumerism, there is no reason to be concerned for the environment because a healthy environment does not have anything to do with the individual's happiness.

Caroline wrote:
And why do we have to reject consumerism if our happiness doesnt depend on it, i enjoy the stuff i do and if it isnt harming anyone then why DT, why should i give up my time/enjoyment on the net for example?

But enjoying something is not the same thing as happiness.

And also, according to consumerism, consumption and material possession are the only ways to find happiness. Therefore, having a talk with friends cannot be a source of happiness, watching the clouds cannot be a source of happiness.

And one final point: if you act in accordance with consumerism you are harming others, and yourself. You harm yourself through developing a mistaken sense of self. You harm others by acting out that sense of self. You also harm others by overconsumption.
Caroline

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2009 07:14 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
But the problem is that the statement (we're talking about your first point, right?) is not a reason to accept consumerism. It's an anecdote about the difficulty of reversing this cultural trend.

Yes, but buying and enjoying a CD is not the same as living your life in such a way that assumes that the only way you can be happy is through consumption and material possession.

Trace the periods of technological advancement. Look at the major innovations. Radio - war. Nuclear power - war. Modern medicine - typically war. Navigation - war. Metalworking - war. Superglue - war. On and on.

And I think the point I would highlight is that consumerism has unique byproducts that are necessarily destructive. When we take as truth the notion that happiness can only come about by consumption and/or material possession we order our lives, develop a sense of self, that conforms to that notion. If that notion is incorrect then we have created a false sense of self, a misunderstanding of our basic natures.

But there's the problem: can consumerism have such a balance and still be consumerism? According to consumerism, there is no reason to be concerned for the environment because a healthy environment does not have anything to do with the individual's happiness.

But enjoying something is not the same thing as happiness.

And also, according to consumerism, consumption and material possession are the only ways to find happiness. Therefore, having a talk with friends cannot be a source of happiness, watching the clouds cannot be a source of happiness.

And one final point: if you act in accordance with consumerism you are harming others, and yourself. You harm yourself through developing a mistaken sense of self. You harm others by acting out that sense of self. You also harm others by overconsumption.

No it is certainly not a reason to accept consumerism, (the statement i made-it would be difficult for some people to adjust), i highlighted it because it is reason, a difficulty we would face if we were to address the problems created by consumerism

People whose happiness depends on material consumption i find are very shallow, yes a nice red Ferrari would put a smile on my face but if i never get one im not going to be bothered.

When man first looked up to the skies, who was it Galileo who invented the telescope? (he didnt invent it he made improvements on it), So what im saying is although tech' advances might have been driven by war not all advances were, as my examples shows, it was mans need to know, to discover as well, our need for knowledge in the past and our need to know today, is what drives a lot of tech' advances.

And yes it is false to believe happiness depends on material wealth which is why you'll find some of these people obnoxious, unhappy, (and confused at why they're not happy), and overall not very nice people!

No enjoying something does not equate happiness, i agreed with that. But if my enjoyment is not hurting anybody then why deny it from me? If im aware that my happiness does not depend on these material things than im mot harming myself but DT how am i harming others through a false sense of the self and how am i harming others through over-consumption? (which you have arrived at the point i was make,ie, over consumption does harm others that is why it should be addressed!)

Watching clouds etc may not give me or others happiness as opposed to from material things, you're right, but it does give me an innocent enjoyment where no one gets harmed through over consumption. Your point was made from a consumer's point of view? Why do these people only find enjoyment and their happiness can only be got from consuming, why can they not seek enjoyment/appreciation from the simple things in life? Can they be taught to appreciate these things. After-all we all would like to have a planet to enjoy our 'stuff' or/and the countryside, surely we all have that in common?

Of course a balance needs to be found no matter what the consumer's point of view because whether they like it or not, evidence suggests that it IS damaging the environment to a dangerous level.
And if a person cannot feel enjoyment from talking to a friend, what are they made of stone?

I say a balance is needed because a lot of people would find it hard to change lifestyles from one extreme to the other. And i think it would work in part because surely reducing consumerism and its bad effects on the environment is a good start towards the goal of having none whatsoever and it's also a feasible way of starting this process?

I dont understand your 5th paragraph.
Shouldn't consumerism be concerned with the environment? Because it does destroy it,eg.forests. And as said before i think a balance can be reached and it's better than nothing, than what we have now, what im trying to say is it wuold at least reduce the damage to the environment.

I agree with your 4th paragraph in that it does go against mans basic nature but I believe a lot of people including myself are spiritual too. Are you talking about many people who are consumed with consumerism? (sorry no pun intended),
0 Replies