secular amish

xris

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 08:01 am
I was contemplating the idea of an Amish society but the requirements to belong is a firm belief against accepted religion,only agnostics or atheists need apply.A secular Amish society but with the same values to a certain degree, agreed by the majority.I admire so much of their way of life, the simplicity, the community, their little desires of the 21c trinkets.If the world population had the same requirements we need not work so damned hard, the demand or the destruction of natural resources would decrease...money would become obsolete and therefore bankers..am i dreaming?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,974 • Replies: 29
No top replies

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 08:09 am
@xris,
You are dreaming about the hard work aspect. The nature of our work would change. We would be agrarian, and far more self-sufficient. But plowing a field with a beast of burden is tough work, building a house is tough, and so forth. You could not order a pizza in the evening when you do not feel like cooking after working all day.

Also, an atheist/agnostic might still be a Buddhist, perhaps even a Taoism, and in some rare cases, a Hindu. Yet these are three "accepted" religions.

I also sometimes wonder if we would be better off living a "simpler" civilization. Environmental concerns, while by no means eliminated, would not be nearly so dramatic. We could bring income/wealth disparity down to remarkable levels. But we would also have to make some tough sacrifices: first in my mind is health care. In such a society, modern medicine is impossible.
xris

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 08:24 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
You are dreaming about the hard work aspect. The nature of our work would change. We would be agrarian, and far more self-sufficient. But plowing a field with a beast of burden is tough work, building a house is tough, and so forth. You could not order a pizza in the evening when you do not feel like cooking after working all day.

Also, an atheist/agnostic might still be a Buddhist, perhaps even a Taoism, and in some rare cases, a Hindu. Yet these are three "accepted" religions.

I also sometimes wonder if we would be better off living a "simpler" civilization. Environmental concerns, while by no means eliminated, would not be nearly so dramatic. We could bring income/wealth disparity down to remarkable levels. But we would also have to make some tough sacrifices: first in my mind is health care. In such a society, modern medicine is impossible.
I was musing, we could use certain benefits of the 21c but not the outright consumerism we have been educated into thinking we need.Hard work never killed me and i doubt if it would again even at my age.I do believe if our desire for so much could be moderated we would all feel the benefit.We wont die without our take away..
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 08:41 am
@xris,
xris wrote:
I was musing, we could use certain benefits of the 21c but not the outright consumerism we have been educated into thinking we need.

Man, I think you are exactly right. Sometimes, for reaction, I tell people that I am a conservative (which is a strange thing to hear from someone who just argued in favor of gay rights, against capitalism and free trade, and so forth). But I am being quite serious when I make the claim. I am conservative because I believe in certain traditional values: the primacy of reading in education, moderation in consumption, and service to people in need. Consumerism cultivates a society of people who are non-literate (as opposed to illiterate: an illiterate person cannot read, a non-literate person can, but refuses to read), extravagantly hedonistic when they can be and who desire to be extravagantly hedonistic when they are unable to be, and who are too self-consumed to even think of holding the door for an old lady, much less to help her down a few steps.

Consumerism is the end of anything good in our culture. Meanwhile, supposed conservatives like Gov. Bush (the one who managed to find his way into the White House in 2000) implore people to go out and spend, spend, spend! It's patriotic, they say. It's sick. It's twisted.

xris wrote:
Hard work never killed me and i doubt if it would again even at my age.I do believe if our desire for so much could be moderated we would all feel the benefit.We wont die without our take away..

It seems to me that living a life of moderate self-oriented desires would be the best take away to have when we die, even for the non-religious such as yourself. People like that leave important legacies, they lead by power of moral example which does more to compel others than any flair of rhetoric could possibly accomplish.
Lasse

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 08:59 am
@xris,
I like the thought of making my own society, that would be neat.

It'd be situated in the forests, living in harmony there.

My biggest dream is to buy a large forested area where I could mind my own business. Being as self-sufficient as possible.

But still maintaining a regular job (Lets be realistic), but that would be okay, since I am a forester Smile
xris

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 11:36 am
@Lasse,
Lasse wrote:
I like the thought of making my on society, that would be neat.

It'd be situated in the forests, living in harmony there.

My biggest dream is to buy a large forested area where I could mind my own business. Being as self sufficient as possible.

But still maintaining a regular job (Lets be realistic), but that would be okay, since I am a forester Smile
Fine for the individual but you have to consider the masses like me.A sustainable future where we are not encouraged or judged by the car we drive or the clothes we wear..I recon with modern technology we would survive quit nicely with a minimal requirements , cut out the crap in our lives and the world would be a lot easier to cope with.Most of us strive for the crap we are supposed to be unable to live without.Amish is a dream but a gaol we should strive to attain in some small way.

---------- Post added at 12:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 PM ----------

Didymos Thomas wrote:
Man, I think you are exactly right. Sometimes, for reaction, I tell people that I am a conservative (which is a strange thing to hear from someone who just argued in favor of gay rights, against capitalism and free trade, and so forth). But I am being quite serious when I make the claim. I am conservative because I believe in certain traditional values: the primacy of reading in education, moderation in consumption, and service to people in need. Consumerism cultivates a society of people who are non-literate (as opposed to illiterate: an illiterate person cannot read, a non-literate person can, but refuses to read), extravagantly hedonistic when they can be and who desire to be extravagantly hedonistic when they are unable to be, and who are too self-consumed to even think of holding the door for an old lady, much less to help her down a few steps.

Consumerism is the end of anything good in our culture. Meanwhile, supposed conservatives like Gov. Bush (the one who managed to find his way into the White House in 2000) implore people to go out and spend, spend, spend! It's patriotic, they say. It's sick. It's twisted.

It seems to me that living a life of moderate self-oriented desires would be the best take away to have when we die, even for the non-religious such as yourself. People like that leave important legacies, they lead by power of moral example which does more to compel others than any flair of rhetoric could possibly accomplish.
Sack cloth for me tom..
Lasse

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 01:04 pm
@xris,
xris wrote:
Fine for the individual but you have to consider the masses like me.A sustainable future where we are not encouraged or judged by the car we drive or the clothes we wear..I recon with modern technology we would survive quit nicely with a minimal requirements , cut out the crap in our lives and the world would be a lot easier to cope with.Most of us strive for the crap we are supposed to be unable to live without.Amish is a dream but a gaol we should strive to attain in some small way.

I sleep on two foam mattresses, two bags with clothes and my motorcycle.

And I don't own the foam mattresses Smile If that's how its spelled.
xris

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 03:00 pm
@Lasse,
Lasse wrote:
I sleep on two foam mattresses, two bags with clothes and my motorcycle.

And I don't own the foam mattresses Smile If that's how its spelled.
Bit cold in the winter..friend..
Lasse

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 03:05 pm
@xris,
xris wrote:
Bit cold in the winter..friend..

Renting a place to sleep at a friends place, I move around alot.
xris

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 03:11 pm
@Lasse,
Lasse wrote:
Renting a place to sleep at a friends place, I move around alot.
A friend and a bed what more can you expect from life..good night..Xris
0 Replies

Elmud

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2009 04:48 pm
@xris,
xris wrote:
I was contemplating the idea of an Amish society but the requirements to belong is a firm belief against accepted religion,only agnostics or atheists need apply.A secular Amish society but with the same values to a certain degree, agreed by the majority.I admire so much of their way of life, the simplicity, the community, their little desires of the 21c trinkets.If the world population had the same requirements we need not work so damned hard, the demand or the destruction of natural resources would decrease...money would become obsolete and therefore bankers..am i dreaming?
Lots of Amish people where I live. When you drive down the country roads, you have to drive slowly because they ride their horses and wagons on those roads. Nice people. They seem to be content without all of the modern luxuries we have come to depend on. Don't think I could be Amish though. It would be pretty boring of an evening seems to me.
Lasse

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2009 11:24 pm
@Elmud,
Elmud wrote:
Lots of Amish people where I live. When you drive down the country roads, you have to drive slowly because they ride their horses and wagons on those roads. Nice people. They seem to be content without all of the modern luxuries we have come to depend on. Don't think I could be Amish though. It would be pretty boring of an evening seems to me.

Of course you could, you would learn pretty quick to adapt and appreciate other things in life.
Elmud

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 07:36 pm
@Lasse,
Lasse wrote:
Of course you could, you would learn pretty quick to adapt and appreciate other things in life.

I don't know about that. We are a part of the culture we were brought up in. Our environment and our circumstances are very much what define us. We can make changes in our attitude about things and we can adapt to certain situations that arise, but, to become a part of a culture that is foreign to what we are use to, that would be very difficult to do because we could not forget where we came from.
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 07:57 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:

I think a balance is needed between consumerism and 'the simple life'.
xris

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 08:27 am
@Caroline,
Who has not envied the pioneers struggle to survive with simple needs and with no greater desire than to see out the winter.If i was a young man with a horse and family given the opportunity to live the simple life, to survive by my own endeavours, i would welcome it with open arms.We have lost that freedom, we are trapped by the society we have secured.
Lasse

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 12:10 pm
@xris,
xris wrote:
Who has not envied the pioneers struggle to survive with simple needs and with no greater desire than to see out the winter.If i was a young man with a horse and family given the opportunity to live the simple life, to survive by my own endeavours, i would welcome it with open arms.We have lost that freedom, we are trapped by the society we have secured.

Sell your belongings, buy a plane ticket to Alaska, buy a horse. Go.
xris

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 01:58 pm
@Lasse,
Lasse wrote:
Sell your belongings, buy a plane ticket to Alaska, buy a horse. Go.
I am of the age when a horse is more difficult than a women.six grandchildren that need kissing and cuddling when ever the opportunity arises..OOOh dont tempt me..
Lasse

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 02:07 pm
@xris,
So buy a peace of land and hide away in the woods or the scottish highlands Smile
xris

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 02:24 pm
@Lasse,
Lasse wrote:
So buy a peace of land and hide away in the woods or the scottish highlands Smile
Im too old for such adventure, ive had my time even if my fathers came from the lowlands of scotland ..its too late in the day..
0 Replies

Elmud

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 02:27 pm
@xris,
xris wrote:
I am of the age when a horse is more difficult than a women.six grandchildren that need kissing and cuddling when ever the opportunity arises..OOOh dont tempt me..
Xris. The only thing you would be able to look forward to in that lifestyle would be breakfast, lunch and dinner. And then, sleep. Then, the next day, same thing again. Oh, and by the way, no electricity so no internet. Your interaction with others would be limited to those in your community. I'm thinking it would last for , oh, say a week or two before you began to pull the hair out.

---------- Post added at 03:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 PM ----------

Oh. and i forgot, work. From sunup to sundown.