ethics and faith

hue-man

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 02:59 pm
@click here,
click here wrote:
You state yourself that: "An individual's morality is subjective and relative to their genetic make up, and their environment." Why is it unethical to standardize any morals whether religious or not. Lets say that someone believed that rape was ok and the government standardized that as morally correct. You believe that rape is not inherently wrong so why would standardizing it's "ok'ness" be unethical?

Secondly why should ethics "be designed to benefit the individual human rights of all people in a civil society"? Who is to say that people even have rights? What makes 'your body' any more yours then mine? Where are you getting these rights from?

You are really annoying, buddy. I hate when I have to state the same things over and over again, simply because someone refuses to comprehend my answer.

"Why is it unethical to standardize any morals whether religious or not."

Because religious morals are built upon a foundation of unverifiable claims, which are by their very nature meaningless and false. Please read that for a second time so that I don't have to type it again?

"Lets say that someone believed that rape was ok and the government standardized that as morally correct. You believe that rape is not inherently wrong so why would standardizing it's "ok'ness" be unethical?"

Legalizing rape is wrong, because it is not constructive to a civil society. Because rape may have been constructive for the evolution of our species does not make it constructive or complimentary for a civil society.

"Secondly why should ethics "be designed to benefit the individual human rights of all people in a civil society"?"

Because it is constructive to a civil society!
xris

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 03:11 pm
@hue-man,
Ethics should a consensus of opinion by moral standards not by religious teachings. If you allow your ethics to be dictated rather than formed by logic, they should stay yours not the communities as a whole. We do progress by logic , logic will advance, religious doctrine stagnates.
hue-man

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 03:20 pm
@xris,
xris wrote:
Ethics should a consensus of opinion by moral standards not by religious teachings. If you allow your ethics to be dictated rather than formed by logic, they should stay yours not the communities as a whole. We do progress by logic , logic will advance, religious doctrine stagnates.

That was very well said.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 05:56 pm
@hue-man,
Religious doctrine does not "stagnate". Religious doctrine is in constant flux, undergoing constant change.

Further, the morality taught by religion is not somehow immune to reason or logic. Take for example the Golden Rule: both religious moral teaching and secular moral teaching.

Religious morals are not based on unverifiable claims: they are derived from the experience of human beings. If you take the time to actually read some of the material, theologians discussing morality, you will find logical arguments throughout. For example: check out Thomas Merton's Faith and Violence or the far more popular Five Sermons of Joseph Butler.
Dichanthelium

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 06:25 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man wrote:
You are really annoying, buddy. I hate when I have to state the same things over and over again, simply because someone refuses to comprehend my answer.

Hue-man, why are you impolite to to your fellow inquirers?
hue-man

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 07:36 pm
@Dichanthelium,
Dichanthelium wrote:
Hue-man, why are you impolite to to your fellow inquirers?

I don't mean to be, but I think that it's mainly on any subject that deals with God. I need to work on it, but I hate when people refuse to understand me because they disagree with me. I don't like stating the same thing over and over again.
hue-man

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 07:41 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Religious doctrine does not "stagnate". Religious doctrine is in constant flux, undergoing constant change.

Further, the morality taught by religion is not somehow immune to reason or logic. Take for example the Golden Rule: both religious moral teaching and secular moral teaching.

Religious morals are not based on unverifiable claims: they are derived from the experience of human beings. If you take the time to actually read some of the material, theologians discussing morality, you will find logical arguments throughout. For example: check out Thomas Merton's Faith and Violence or the far more popular Five Sermons of Joseph Butler.

Religious doctrine does stagnate, because of its dogmatic nature.

Any moral argument that includes God is illogical, because the belief in such a God is not dependent on reason, logic, or verifiability, but faith. It is therefore meaningless to say that God does not want homosexuals to have equal partnership rights, or that God doesn't like murder, so you shouldn't murder. You don't need bad reasons to believe in good things.
xris

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 07:41 am
@hue-man,
We see this dogmatic approach by the church all the time. The RC attitude on contraception is killing thousands in Africa and they will not alter because of scriptures instruction. The attitude towards life being sacred creates fundamentalist challenging medical experiments constantly.It encroaches on secular laws in many countries where the church has strong influence . It has to abide by certain scriptures and to change the laws of their god is impossible.
0 Replies

Solace

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 08:46 am
@hue-man,
hue-man wrote:
I don't mean to be, but I think that it's mainly on any subject that deals with God. I need to work on it, but I hate when people refuse to understand me because they disagree with me. I don't like stating the same thing over and over again.

I understand entirely where you're coming from. No matter which side of the argument you're on, (and I've been on both many times,) whether for or against religious doctrine, you're going to find yourself repeating the same thing over and over again. The philosophy of religion is a topic for the blind, I fear.
0 Replies

ACWaller

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 10:01 am
@hue-man,
hue-man wrote:
because the belief in a such a God is [not]dependent on reason, logic, or verifiability, but faith.

My belief in God to a certain extent is a result of all those 4.
xris

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 10:31 am
@ACWaller,
ACWaller wrote:
Oh please tell me the verifiable bit , i cant wait ..
Solace

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 12:10 pm
@xris,
xris wrote:
Oh please tell me the verifiable bit , i cant wait ..

I think the closest thing that anyone can honestly claim to verifiability is coincedence. Sometimes coincedence seems simply too coincedental to be coincedence. This isn't to say that it isn't coincedence, only that to someone experiencing the coincedence it can seem too convenient to be dismissed as merely coincedence. Such isn't usually verifiable to someone else, but it can be darn convincing to the individual.
hue-man

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 01:05 pm
@ACWaller,
ACWaller wrote:

You may think that your belief in God is based on reason, logic, and verifiability, but trust me, it's not. Your belief is especially not based on verifiability! Your belief is based on faith (fideism), so if you want to continue to feel comfortable in your belief, then you should be content with being faithful (naive, wishful thinking, etc. etc.).
0 Replies

hue-man

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 01:13 pm
@Solace,
Solace wrote:
I think the closest thing that anyone can honestly claim to verifiability is coincedence. Sometimes coincedence seems simply too coincedental to be coincedence. This isn't to say that it isn't coincedence, only that to someone experiencing the coincedence it can seem too convenient to be dismissed as merely coincedence. Such isn't usually verifiable to someone else, but it can be darn convincing to the individual.

The disbelief in coincidence is not anywhere near the verifiability principle. In fact, believing that there is no such thing as coincidence (probability or chance) is the exact opposite of the principle of verifiability.

To believe that there is no such thing as coincidence is superstition at its best. Superstition ignores verifiability and parsimony; it chooses mysticism over the empirical method and scientific skepticism.
Solace

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 04:58 pm
@hue-man,
Yes I know, hue-man. But to argue the point to one who has become superstitious because of an unignorable coincedence (or multiple coincedences in some cases,) can be an impossible task. And it can seem like verifiable evidence to the individual, even if in reality it isn't. My point is simply that I can't think of any other way that someone could attempt to verify a supernatural object of their faith. (Emphasis on attempt, I know it's not success.)
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 05:29 pm
@Solace,
hue-man wrote:
Religious doctrine does stagnate, because of its dogmatic nature.

You can assert such a notion all you like, but repeating the claim does not add credibility to the claim.

Go look at the history: religious doctrine is always changing. How do you think we, human beings, went from Sky God and Earth Mother cults to polytheism, to monotheism. And then, how do you think Judaism has evolved? How do you think Christianity has evolved? How do you think Buddhism came into being? How do you think Taosim has evolved over the centuries?

Simple: religious doctrine does not stagnate, but changes. To assert that religious doctrine stagnates is to turn a blind eye to the history of religion.

hue-man wrote:
Any moral argument that includes God is illogical, because the belief in such a God is not dependent on reason, logic, or verifiability, but faith. It is therefore meaningless to say that God does not want homosexuals to have equal partnership rights, or that God doesn't like murder, so you shouldn't murder. You don't need bad reasons to believe in good things.

You can make these assertions or you can go read a book that proves you wrong: I gave you two examples, one a classic or moral philosophy, the other a modern collection of essays covering moral topics.

You may not agree with the logic, and therefore conclude that the arguments are illogical, but such a conclusion is far different from the assertion that religious moral arguments do not employ logic and reason.

Once again you assert that God is dependent on faith: and this is true. But you also assume that somehow faith is immune to logic and reason, which is false: as evidence, check the whole history of theology.

Further, you assert that belief in God is not verifiable. This is also false. You could rightly claim that God is not scientifically verifiable. However, if you take two people with experience of God, they can verify their experiences.
Dichanthelium

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 06:07 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man wrote:

Okay, I just want to suggest that when it comes to ethics and faith, it is "part of the territory" that we will have both mis-understandings and disagreements. Even when we tend to agree with each other, the possibility of misunderstanding is still quite prevalent. We all have to repeat or re-state our points in order to reiterate or clarify at times. That doesn't necessarily mean that the other person is being deliberately obstinate.
0 Replies

hue-man

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 07:00 pm
@Solace,
Solace wrote:
Yes I know, hue-man. But to argue the point to one who has become superstitious because of an unignorable coincedence (or multiple coincedences in some cases,) can be an impossible task. And it can seem like verifiable evidence to the individual, even if in reality it isn't. My point is simply that I can't think of any other way that someone could attempt to verify a supernatural object of their faith. (Emphasis on attempt, I know it's not success.)

lol - I see what you're saying.
0 Replies

hue-man

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 07:26 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
You can assert such a notion all you like, but repeating the claim does not add credibility to the claim.

Go look at the history: religious doctrine is always changing. How do you think we, human beings, went from Sky God and Earth Mother cults to polytheism, to monotheism. And then, how do you think Judaism has evolved? How do you think Christianity has evolved? How do you think Buddhism came into being? How do you think Taosim has evolved over the centuries?

Simple: religious doctrine does not stagnate, but changes. To assert that religious doctrine stagnates is to turn a blind eye to the history of religion.

You can make these assertions or you can go read a book that proves you wrong: I gave you two examples, one a classic or moral philosophy, the other a modern collection of essays covering moral topics.

You may not agree with the logic, and therefore conclude that the arguments are illogical, but such a conclusion is far different from the assertion that religious moral arguments do not employ logic and reason.

Once again you assert that God is dependent on faith: and this is true. But you also assume that somehow faith is immune to logic and reason, which is false: as evidence, check the whole history of theology.

Further, you assert that belief in God is not verifiable. This is also false. You could rightly claim that God is not scientifically verifiable. However, if you take two people with experience of God, they can verify their experiences.

I think that you're misunderstanding what xris meant by saying that religious doctrine stagnates. Religious doctrine stagnates socio-political progression. That is why it was systematically removed (at least officially) from western political systems during the enlightenment and the 19th century.

The fact that religious ideas change and evolve with the environment is evidential. But what you're failing to notice is the fact that those ancient Gods you speak are no longer taken seriously when we speak of reality or existence. They are all in that trash hep that we call mythology. Specific religious doctrines do not change as much as they are replaced by a whole different religion altogether.

Not all religions are as dogmatic as others. The most dogmatic religions are those that claim to have divine revelation. Indeed, if you believe that an omniscient God has revealed absolutist truth then why would you feel the need to change the doctrine? In fact, doing so is usually considered to be blasphemy. We've made major changes to the constitution since its inception, but how many times has the bible been literally changed since the canonization of the books at the council of Nice?

"You may not agree with the logic, and therefore conclude that the arguments are illogical, but such a conclusion is far different from the assertion that religious moral arguments do not employ logic and reason."

My point is that logic is not subjective. I am not saying that believers don't try and employ logic to justify their belief. Attempting to employ logic to belief does not make an argument logical. People try to employ logic and reason to all types of unjustified claims, but that does make the claims rational or logical.

"Once again you assert that God is dependent on faith: and this is true. But you also assume that somehow faith is immune to logic and reason, which is false: as evidence, check the whole history of theology."

The history of theology is a rhetorical tap dance around the points of discussion.

"Further, you assert that belief in God is not verifiable. This is also false. You could rightly claim that God is not scientifically verifiable. However, if you take two people with experience of God, they can verify their experiences."

We've been through this before, Didymos. Believers only experience the idea of God, not the physical existence of such a being. To believe that a being really does physically exist merely because it is an idea is called idealism. Idealism has been discredited ten times over, and it is now widely known to be what it has always been - a crackpot proposition.

You cannot, I repeat, cannot verify the existence of such being outside of the fact that it is only an idea.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 08:32 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man wrote:
I think that you're misunderstanding what xris meant by saying that religious doctrine stagnates. Religious doctrine stagnates socio-political progression. That is why it was systematically removed (at least officially) from western political systems during the enlightenment and the 19th century.

If that is what was meant, which is fine, then xris should be more clear with his words: to say that "religious doctrine stagnates" is something quite different than saying that "religious doctrine stagnates socio-political progression". However, even the later thesis is demonstrably false: you might look to Dr. Martin Luther King's example, a socio-economic reform founded upon religious principle.

hue-man wrote:
The fact that religious ideas change and evolve with the environment is evidential. But what you're failing to notice is the fact that those ancient Gods you speak are no longer taken seriously when we speak of reality or existence. They are all in that trash hep that we call mythology. Specific religious doctrines do not change as much as they are replaced by a whole different religion altogether.

Actually, those ancient Gods are taken seriously: Wiccans still exist and they most certainly take the Earth Mother seriously; traditional Native American traditions still survive and thrive in the Americas.

Further, there is no "trash heap" called mythology: being mythology in no way diminishes the spiritual credibility of the tradition. For example, the Bible is packed full of mythology and is still taken seriously; the Bhagavad Gita and the larger Mahabarata from which it is taken are both mythology and still taken seriously; the Tao Te Ching is mythology and still taken seriously.

Also, the claim that "Specific religious doctrines do not change as much as they are replaced by a whole different religion altogether" is also untrue. The development of a "whole different religion" takes time: Buddhism was a Hindu reform movement and was not taken to be a disinct faith tradition for centuries after the Buddha's death - even to this day you can find images of the Buddha at Hindu shrines.

hue-man wrote:
Not all religions are as dogmatic as others. The most dogmatic religions are those that claim to have divine revelation. Indeed, if you believe that an omniscient God has revealed absolutist truth then why would you feel the need to change the doctrine? In fact, doing so is usually considered to be blasphemy. We've made major changes to the constitution since its inception, but how many times has the bible been literally changed since the canonization of the books at the council of Nice?

Many times, actually. Have you forgetten about the King James Version? And the New King James Version? And the countless other editions in English which are literally different. Include other languages, and the number is probably in the thousands.

hue-man wrote:
The history of theology is a rhetorical tap dance around the points of discussion.

Sorry you are so pessimistic about my intentions.

I have to disagree with this assertion. Introducing the history of theology is evidence that faith is not independent from logic. As logic is a method which humans employ to gain understanding, logic has a great deal to do with faith. Historically, theology employs logic.

hue-man wrote:
We've been through this before, Didymos. Believers only experience the idea of God, not the physical existence of such a being. To believe that a being really does physically exist merely because it is an idea is called idealism. Idealism has been discredited ten times over, and it is now widely known to be what it has always been - a crackpot proposition.

Yes, we have been through this before, and will probably wind up here agian so long as you make assumptions about God which are, theologically, rarely if ever advanced.

God is not a being. God is an idea, but the idea points to an ineffible reality beyond human language: it is that ineffible reality which man encounters and organizes with the idea of God. Thus, man does/can experience, not only the idea of God, but the truth to which the idea points. Unless, of course, every mystic and spiritual seeker is a boldface liar; of course, to suggest that they are all liars is nonfalsifiable.

Perhaps it is worth pointing out: even if you assented that my arguments here are sound and accurate, there would be absolutely no reason for you to believe in God. My goal is not to convert you to anything, only to end the unnecessary strawman arguments against certain faith traditions and theological notions.

hue-man wrote:
You cannot, I repeat, cannot verify the existence of such being outside of the fact that it is only an idea.

Except that you can verify that people report the experience of aforementioned ineffible truth.