ethics and faith

xris

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 08:49 am
After seeing a TV programme on designer babies i was troubled to see in secular country how ethical laws are influenced by believers opinions. I think faith and ethics should be separated completely. Is there any believers that agree with me?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,336 • Replies: 60
No top replies

ACWaller

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 09:15 am
@xris,
Hi xris, this is my first post on the discussion forums by the way.
Could you explain what you mean by separating faith and ethics?
xris

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 09:31 am
@ACWaller,
ACWaller wrote:
Hi xris, this is my first post on the discussion forums by the way.
Could you explain what you mean by separating faith and ethics?
Ill do my best,welcome by the way,certain persons of faith deny the right of parents to choose a healthy child without inherited birth defects. They would say you are denying the children life by excluding them from selection when selecting healthy children "eggs". Their opinions are formed by their religious beliefs rather than by ethics or secular logical. I for one say its ethically wrong to bring a child into this world knowing its illnes or deformity will bring pain and suffering.logically it will burden the health service creating shortages of facilities and medical assistance to those who are already living.I hope that is clear.
Solace

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 09:46 am
@xris,
I agree xris that believers should not impose their beliefs on other people. That includes selective child birth or anything else. The more we interfere in other people's lives, the more we open the door for them to interfere in ours.
xris

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 10:16 am
@Solace,
Solace wrote:
I agree xris that believers should not impose their beliefs on other people. That includes selective child birth or anything else. The more we interfere in other people's lives, the more we open the door for them to interfere in ours.
Without sounding to confrontational do you think a countries laws should influenced by religious beliefs? I would not deny the right of the faithful to not choose by medical means, but should the wider population be made to bear the consequences of their decision.I had a father in law who because of his age was not given dialysis and was allowed to die. Two wards away a teenager who had been in a vegetative state for seven years was being kept alive because of his parents religious respect for life. It was costing seventy thousand pounds a year to keep this lad in a vegetative state and it was only eight thousand pounds a year to give dialysis..not logical or ethical in my opinion.
Solace

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 02:30 pm
@xris,
The question you ask and the example you give invoke two different responses. First for the question, no, laws should not be influenced by religious beliefs. As for whether or not the religious family should be allowed to keep their vegatative son alive, well, if the family was not religious but wanted to do this would it make a difference? The question of whether and when it is ethical to allow a life to end transcends religion. An atheist can (and most often does) place just as much value on life as a theist.

So in this case, just as any in case, the law of the land needs to decide how to deal with all such cases universally, without regard to the religious beliefs of the people involved in a given case. This isn't to say that the law should have absolutely no sensitivity to an individual's beliefs, but the role of the law should be to protect an individual's beliefs, not to uphold those beliefs.
xris

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 03:24 pm
@Solace,
I have a hard job disagreeing with your post ..but you must understand that belief for faith is different to logical reasoning..Its the reasoning not the outcome that worries me.thanks for your reply ..
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 07:08 pm
@xris,
Faith and ethics are inseparable for the believer. Typically, faith traditions are preeminently concerned with ethics.

Law is influenced by religious belief - so long as the people have any say in what is and what is not law. To take away religious influence from law is to eradicate republicanism and democracy.

Here's the thing, though: some religious moral influence is negative, others are positive. But the same is true of the ethics of atheists: some of the influence is positive, other times the influence is negative.

Religion is not the issue: the issue is the nature of the morality. If "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" is good moral guidance, that the guidance comes from religion is of absolutely no concern. The Golden Rule has been expressed in religious and secular terms, yet the teaching is the same.

Instead of being concerned with religious morals, we should be concerned with the moral teaching itself.
Kolbe

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 07:43 pm
@xris,
Perhaps, but as xris gave the example of designer babies I'm assuming this is more to do with the more detailed doctrines of the church as opposed to the generalised morals. Abortion, for example, would be considered always wrong by some, yet from personal experience it's only wrong without consent from both parties and even then only before the baby develops independant thought.

And have you ever thought that, perhaps, the religious teachings began on a secular basis? Maybe in a godless time, rules of society were written in terms of how to make a group function to their best as a whole and a god created to enforce the teachings beyond the reach of man? Just food for though I suppose.

As one little final note, concerning the golden rule of "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"
What if they're into it?
0 Replies

xris

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 04:02 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Faith and ethics are inseparable for the believer. Typically, faith traditions are preeminently concerned with ethics.

Law is influenced by religious belief - so long as the people have any say in what is and what is not law. To take away religious influence from law is to eradicate republicanism and democracy.

Here's the thing, though: some religious moral influence is negative, others are positive. But the same is true of the ethics of atheists: some of the influence is positive, other times the influence is negative.

Religion is not the issue: the issue is the nature of the morality. If "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" is good moral guidance, that the guidance comes from religion is of absolutely no concern. The Golden Rule has been expressed in religious and secular terms, yet the teaching is the same.

Instead of being concerned with religious morals, we should be concerned with the moral teaching itself.
Im only concerned when fundies are denying the rights of others and by their influence of secular laws.
Dichanthelium

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 10:54 am
@xris,
xris wrote:
Im only concerned when fundies are denying the rights of others and by their influence of secular laws.

I think the influence of fundamentalist "Christianity" is one of the biggest tragedies of human history, but, since we (in the US) live under a form of government that allows the people to select leaders, it seems to me inevitable that, so long as there are substantial numbers of "fundies" we will have to endure their influence.

But I would argue that "faith" in the sense of "religious tradition" is not the problem. Misguided faith certainly can be.
xris

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 01:13 pm
@Dichanthelium,
Dichanthelium wrote:
I think the influence of fundamentalist "Christianity" is one of the biggest tragedies of human history, but, since we (in the US) live under a form of government that allows the people to select leaders, it seems to me inevitable that, so long as there are substantial numbers of "fundies" we will have to endure their influence.

But I would argue that "faith" in the sense of "religious tradition" is not the problem. Misguided faith certainly can be.
Kill Kill them all..no its a stain on democracy when pressure groups over influence the law makers in a degree that should never be allowed.Scare politics, not enough brave men in power.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 03:30 pm
@Solace,
Solace;43465 wrote:
As for whether or not the religious family should be allowed to keep their vegatative son alive, well, if the family was not religious but wanted to do this would it make a difference?
This happens all the time in medicine. People believe in miracles, and it ends up costing tens of thousands of dollars (or more) sometimes to keep someone alive who is in a permanent vegetative state.

But this is the price we pay for regarding the autonomy of patients and families as among the highest of all ethical considerations.

If we want to change the system, the approach is to come up with objective, measurable criteria by which we regard care as futile and to uniformly offer or withdraw care based on these criteria.

This will sidestep belief in miracles, because patient autonomy will not factor into measurable criteria. We already do this with most things. I mean people don't get to decide which antibiotic I prescribe based on religious beliefs, though they can decide whether or not to take it if offered.
0 Replies

Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 06:16 pm
@xris,
xris wrote:

Then your initial thesis needs to be cast out.

I'm right there with you when the fundamentalists are trying to deny rights: but we have to bear in mind that the issue is not whether or not their arguments stem from a religious source, but instead the issue is whether or not their moral arguments make any sense.
Aedes

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 09:00 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;43661 wrote:
the issue is not whether or not their arguments stem from a religious source, but instead the issue is whether or not their moral arguments make any sense.
I'm not sure either is the issue. We live in a consensus-driven society, both in our ethics and in our laws. The trouble with any ideological (incl fundamentalist) infiltration into law is that it rejects consensus.
0 Replies

xris

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 04:20 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Then your initial thesis needs to be cast out.

I'm right there with you when the fundamentalists are trying to deny rights: but we have to bear in mind that the issue is not whether or not their arguments stem from a religious source, but instead the issue is whether or not their moral arguments make any sense.
I suppose my opinions where formed when my father in law was allowed to die because of a lack of funds and the christians whose son was in a vegative state would not let the medics switch of the life support because of their faith.I wondered how many others had to die for their beliefs.It seems a strange world when age not a realistic view can determine who lives and dies.
0 Replies

hue-man

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 12:15 pm
@xris,
xris wrote:
After seeing a TV programme on designer babies i was troubled to see in secular country how ethical laws are influenced by believers opinions. I think faith and ethics should be separated completely. Is there any believers that agree with me?

While I am certainly not a believer, I do want to give my secular input on this. I agree with you 100%. Fideism or theism is not a sensible way to decide what is or isn't ethical for a civil society. First, any fideist conception of ethics is not only void of a real foundation, but it also has the potential to be very dangerous (ever hear of the European Dark Ages?). Our socieities' ethics should be based upon humanist ideals, not religious ones.

We do not need bad reasons to believe in good things. If an ethical proposition is valid then it should be verifiable through critical analysis and examination from a secular point of view.

Standardizing religious ideas of morality is itself unethical. Every individual should be able to follow their own standard of morality as long as it does not conflict with the ethical laws of a civil society, and that goes for religious people as well.
click here

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 01:29 pm
@hue-man,
xris wrote:
Ill do my best,welcome by the way,certain persons of faith deny the right of parents to choose a healthy child without inherited birth defects. They would say you are denying the children life by excluding them from selection when selecting healthy children "eggs". Their opinions are formed by their religious beliefs rather than by ethics or secular logical. I for one say its ethically wrong to bring a child into this world knowing its illnes or deformity will bring pain and suffering.logically it will burden the health service creating shortages of facilities and medical assistance to those who are already living.I hope that is clear.

This is what I think. these people are thinking they are basing their thoughts on religious believes yet I think they are interpreting it wrong unless their religion specifically states what they say. I'm going to say egg instead of sperm because it's easier to use as an example and doesn't really matter in this case.

So they say when selecting a healthy sperm they are excluding potential children by using a decision instead of chance? Do they not realize that when normal sexual intercourse takes place millions of sperm don't "get a chance" If they are going to be following all of what they say then they better use up all the sperm or they are breaking their own moral code. I think it is just people that don't fully understand what they are saying.

xris wrote:
Without sounding to confrontational do you think a countries laws should influenced by religious beliefs? I would not deny the right of the faithful to not choose by medical means, but should the wider population be made to bear the consequences of their decision.I had a father in law who because of his age was not given dialysis and was allowed to die. Two wards away a teenager who had been in a vegetative state for seven years was being kept alive because of his parents religious respect for life. It was costing seventy thousand pounds a year to keep this lad in a vegetative state and it was only eight thousand pounds a year to give dialysis..not logical or ethical in my opinion.

That's an interesting one. Since they are religious then they believe that their is a soul in humans. The question then becomes is the soul still in the body of their son. Their is no way to prove that though. Though if there is no soul still in the body then, in their eyes, it is no different then pulling a dead body out of the ground and pumping blood through it as death occurs with a parting of the soul.

Though with both of these answers I'm answering only inferring that their beliefs are as I assume them to be.

hue-man wrote:

Standardizing religious ideas of morality is itself unethical. Every individual should be able to follow their own standard of morality as long as it does not conflict with the ethical laws of a civil society, and that goes for religious people as well.

That whole paragraph sounds like something that could only come out of a moral absolutists mouth. How are you to say that standardizing religious ideas of morality is unethical? Why can't someones standard of morality conflict with the laws of a society? It's not inherently wrong from a relativist point of view and since its not then there is no way you can say someone shouldn't do that. Of course you could get away with keeping that paragraph like that just add: "That is just my opinion" at the end though.
hue-man

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 02:28 pm
@click here,
click here wrote:
This is what I think. these people are thinking they are basing their thoughts on religious believes yet I think they are interpreting it wrong unless their religion specifically states what they say. I'm going to say egg instead of sperm because it's easier to use as an example and doesn't really matter in this case.

So they say when selecting a healthy sperm they are excluding potential children by using a decision instead of chance? Do they not realize that when normal sexual intercourse takes place millions of sperm don't "get a chance" If they are going to be following all of what they say then they better use up all the sperm or they are breaking their own moral code. I think it is just people that don't fully understand what they are saying.

That's an interesting one. Since they are religious then they believe that their is a soul in humans. The question then becomes is the soul still in the body of their son. Their is no way to prove that though. Though if there is no soul still in the body then, in their eyes, it is no different then pulling a dead body out of the ground and pumping blood through it as death occurs with a parting of the soul.

Though with both of these answers I'm answering only inferring that their beliefs are as I assume them to be.

That whole paragraph sounds like something that could only come out of a moral absolutists mouth. How are you to say that standardizing religious ideas of morality is unethical? Why can't someones standard of morality conflict with the laws of a society? It's not inherently wrong from a relativist point of view and since its not then there is no way you can say someone shouldn't do that. Of course you could get away with keeping that paragraph like that just add: "That is just my opinion" at the end though.

I am no where near being a moral absolutist, trust me! An individual's morality is subjective and relative to their genetic make up, and their environment.

Morality may be subjective, but the ethics that support a civil society are not. Standardizing religious morals is unethical because its foundation is a an unverifiable claim (the existence and revelation of an omniscient God), and it is tyrannical and morally absolute to do so (the European Dark Ages for example). We learned during the enlightenment that making any religion the mode of a civil society's ethics is unethical. Ethics should be designed to benefit the individual human rights of all people in a civil society.

What we are talking about here is the philosophy of law and public policy, and that is a branch of ethics, not a branch of morality. Morality belongs to the sub-field of ethics, not the other way around.

Ethics are values, not objective truths, but when deciding what mode of ethics work best for a civil society we can say what compliments it and what doesn't, and I can assure you that standardizing subjective religious morality is at the bottom of the list.

Thank man for humanism!
click here

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 02:42 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man wrote:
Morality may be subjective, but the ethics that support a civil society are not. Standardizing religious morals is unethical because its foundation is a an unverifiable claim (the existence and revelation of an omniscient God), and it is tyrannical and morally absolute to do so (the European Dark Ages for example). We learned during the enlightenment that making any religion the mode of a civil society's ethics is unethical. Ethics should be designed to benefit the individual human rights of all people in a civil society.

You state yourself that: "An individual's morality is subjective and relative to their genetic make up, and their environment." Why is it unethical to standardize any morals whether religious or not. Lets say that someone believed that rape was ok and the government standardized that as morally correct. You believe that rape is not inherently wrong so why would standardizing it's "ok'ness" be unethical?

Secondly why should ethics "be designed to benefit the individual human rights of all people in a civil society"? Who is to say that people even have rights? What makes 'your body' any more yours then mine? Where are you getting these rights from?