My interpretation on Eden

Aphoric

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 01:53 am
So I've had this thought in my head for about a week, and have finally fleshed it out into what I think may be one of the greatest revelations of my life so far (which, granted has only been a mere 18 years).

My theory comes from the second story of the bible in which God casts Adam and Eve out of the Garden of Eden. When looked at from a literal perspective, Adam and Eve were separated from God because they disobeyed him. This never really made sense to me. I believe the reason is because it's been taught from a political perspective, because it sets the tone for obedience that has been set by religious leaders and instilled in most religious followers (regardless of religion) since the beginning of organized religion.

However, if you look at the images as figurative: Adam and Eve represent humanity, where they start off as innocent, naive, ignorant, even from the beginning. One could say they are the representation of human ignorance.

Now let's take the tree as not actually being a tree, but being a concept from which many other concepts grow (like branches). Then the "Knowledge of Good and Evil" becomes a concept. I assert that seeing religion as a matter of "Good and Evil" is a fallacy. The idea that there is some evil force out there separates man from his issues. It puts the struggle outside of himself, and gives him an external energy to focus on. In my opinion it is simply a matter of knowing and not knowing (or ignorance, and non-ignorance), for if we truly understood the consequences of negative actions, we would be repulsed by taking them. Likewise if we truly understood the benefits of positive action, we would be insatiably compelled to take them. If we see it from this perspective, it becomes a matter of introspection and development of ones self, and places the focus on prosperity, rather than it being a matter of defeating an enemy and placing the focus on opposition.

Now let us look at the snake as a figurative image carrying connotations of the time, rather than as Satan - the personification of evil who wants to spiritually kill, steal, and destroy (giving us an identifiable external enemy). Or rather, why not see Satan himself as a figurative image throughout the Bible who instead of being man's enemy, the part of man that is his own ignorance? At the time the Old Testament was probably written, snakes were used to symbolize deceit rather than evil. I would say there is a subtle, but powerful difference between deceit and evil, and without making that distinction, we often allow ourselves to conceive of Satan as the latter. However, does the symbol of deceit not fit better with a concept of Satan as Ignorance, rather than pure Evil?

Now, if you put all these figurative translations together, you come up with a Genesis in which man, through his ignorance, is separated from God by a grave misconception "Good" and "Evil" from which many maladies of religion spring forth (such as the focus being on obedience rather than prosperity, an image where man get's punished for challenging authority, etc.). Another important facet to that story is that Man was ignorant from the start. This means that God made man ignorant for a reason. I believe that reason is because if we were totally conscious and aware, life would be purposeless. There would be no need for progress or development, which I think is the most beautiful purpose imaginable. This also shows that God WANTED man to be imperfect, which highlights his grace, as he would not make us so imperfect and EVER expect us to be the kind of "perfect" mainstream Religion prescribes (which is backwards in itself).

So what are peoples thoughts on this? There's bound to be a massive error somewhere in my thinking, and a million loose ends that still need tying, but still. I'm proud of this one. wrd.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,114 • Replies: 35
No top replies

xris

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 04:26 am
@Aphoric,
So you have decided God made us imperfect for our own good...why make us imperfect and expect perfection and or otherwise we go straight to hell...dont pick and mix now please..Why make us at all ? was it for his benefit or ours? thats the real question.. Your picture of humanity would be excellent if it was from a creationalists perspective..
0 Replies

Aphoric

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 08:36 am
@Aphoric,
lmao. I stated in the same post that because God made us imperfect, theres NO WAY he expects us to ever be perfect. If you were to ask about my personal theology I'd tell you I don't think anyone goes to hell, or that such a place even exists.

Have you ever had a really awesome idea that you felt was so great you just HAD to share it with people? I feel like Love is that idea for God, hence creation. and I sort of am a creationalist, but why not the creation take place in a scientific background? Look at the first statement of the bible "in the beginning God created the Heavens and the Earth." Now compare that to the Big Bang. similarities?
Solace

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 10:00 am
@Aphoric,
I do like your take on the story, Aphoric, but the concepts seem to run around each other. You say the serpent was a concept, that it represented ignorance. But if so, why would the serpent tempt man with knowledge? You say that good and evil is a fallacy, but you go on to say that negative actions have consequences and positive actions have benefits. What are these positive and negative actions if not good and evil? You say that man was purposefully created ignorant. So then is the man the serpent? You also seem to suggest that ignorance is a good thing, so was the serpent doing good by propigating ignorance? Which, if we assume that the knowledge of good and evil is a fallacy, then taking a fallacy as knowledge must mean remaining ignorant to the truth. All in all it seems wrapped up in confusion.
0 Replies

jgweed

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 10:10 am
@Aphoric,
One could just as easily interpret the story to mean that God wanted some pets, and when they would not be docile, innocent creatures but instead began wanting to think for themselves, they became sinners in the hands of an angry God and were punished for being truly human.
One could also then say that God seems to be all-too-human, and certainly not all-knowing.
0 Replies

xris

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 10:24 am
@Aphoric,
Aphoric wrote:
lmao. I stated in the same post that because God made us imperfect, theres NO WAY he expects us to ever be perfect. If you were to ask about my personal theology I'd tell you I don't think anyone goes to hell, or that such a place even exists.

Have you ever had a really awesome idea that you felt was so great you just HAD to share it with people? I feel like Love is that idea for God, hence creation. and I sort of am a creationalist, but why not the creation take place in a scientific background? Look at the first statement of the bible "in the beginning God created the Heavens and the Earth." Now compare that to the Big Bang. similarities?
I asked you not to pick and choose which is exactly what you did....oh its this bit of the bible is right but i dont believe this bit and oh i dont believe the god of the bible is that....pick and mix ...re-inventing god to fit your image..

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 12:18 pm
@xris,
xris wrote:
I asked you not to pick and choose which is exactly what you did....oh its this bit of the bible is right but i dont believe this bit and oh i dont believe the god of the bible is that....pick and mix ...re-inventing god to fit your image..

But do we not always pick and choose? Is that not the correct policy towards the bible? Also we have to look at what is important. God created the world- that is the why, and the how is of lesser importance. However on other points- like the ressurection, the ressurection is the important point.
William

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 01:12 pm
@Aphoric,
Aphoric wrote:
So I've had this thought in my head for about a week, and have finally fleshed it out into what I think may be one of the greatest revelations of my life so far (which, granted has only been a mere 18 years).

My theory comes from the second story of the bible in which God casts Adam and Eve out of the Garden of Eden. When looked at from a literal perspective, Adam and Eve were separated from God because they disobeyed him. This never really made sense to me. I believe the reason is because it's been taught from a political perspective, because it sets the tone for obedience that has been set by religious leaders and instilled in most religious followers (regardless of religion) since the beginning of organized religion.

However, if you look at the images as figurative: Adam and Eve represent humanity, where they start off as innocent, naive, ignorant, even from the beginning. One could say they are the representation of human ignorance.

Now let's take the tree as not actually being a tree, but being a concept from which many other concepts grow (like branches). Then the "Knowledge of Good and Evil" becomes a concept. I assert that seeing religion as a matter of "Good and Evil" is a fallacy. The idea that there is some evil force out there separates man from his issues. It puts the struggle outside of himself, and gives him an external energy to focus on. In my opinion it is simply a matter of knowing and not knowing (or ignorance, and non-ignorance), for if we truly understood the consequences of negative actions, we would be repulsed by taking them. Likewise if we truly understood the benefits of positive action, we would be insatiably compelled to take them. If we see it from this perspective, it becomes a matter of introspection and development of ones self, and places the focus on prosperity, rather than it being a matter of defeating an enemy and placing the focus on opposition.

Now let us look at the snake as a figurative image carrying connotations of the time, rather than as Satan - the personification of evil who wants to spiritually kill, steal, and destroy (giving us an identifiable external enemy). Or rather, why not see Satan himself as a figurative image throughout the Bible who instead of being man's enemy, the part of man that is his own ignorance? At the time the Old Testament was probably written, snakes were used to symbolize deceit rather than evil. I would say there is a subtle, but powerful difference between deceit and evil, and without making that distinction, we often allow ourselves to conceive of Satan as the latter. However, does the symbol of deceit not fit better with a concept of Satan as Ignorance, rather than pure Evil?

Now, if you put all these figurative translations together, you come up with a Genesis in which man, through his ignorance, is separated from God by a grave misconception "Good" and "Evil" from which many maladies of religion spring forth (such as the focus being on obedience rather than prosperity, an image where man get's punished for challenging authority, etc.). Another important facet to that story is that Man was ignorant from the start. This means that God made man ignorant for a reason. I believe that reason is because if we were totally conscious and aware, life would be purposeless. There would be no need for progress or development, which I think is the most beautiful purpose imaginable. This also shows that God WANTED man to be imperfect, which highlights his grace, as he would not make us so imperfect and EVER expect us to be the kind of "perfect" mainstream Religion prescribes (which is backwards in itself).

So what are peoples thoughts on this? There's bound to be a massive error somewhere in my thinking, and a million loose ends that still need tying, but still. I'm proud of this one. wrd.

Aphoric,
IMHO, let me congratulate you on you interpretation. If you don't mind, allow me to add and edit a bit as to my interpretation. We are so very close in our thinking.

We are a perfection creation. What alienated us from that from which we were created is life itself and the overwhelming "new" sensation our being represented. The tree of knowledge is what this sensate, thinking entity we call the "human being" would learn that has never existed before. Neither God, nor man would know what that would be. You see we are the new "development" of God or the universe. Two entities you cannot separate. If you do, you get into trouble. IMO.

The obedience is all man's idea as it relates to his understanding and his "need" to be obeyed. You are right on the mark here. What is still a puzzle to me is where did "that" little bit of wisdom came from. For any human being to "edit" the truth, he must "know" the truth. To alter it would be for his own "selfish" purposes, which is what treating man as subservient does. Issuing and instilling and giving merit to the "Ten Commandments". If this is true, then both Genesis and Exodus were meant to correlate to one another for continuity. Hmmm?

Life would be our teacher as we would learn what was good and evil as we dealt with the overwhelming sensation of it finally coming to the realization a need to reestablish that oneness that life itself caused us to become alienated from.

With no understanding of what "perfection" was all about, which is what would have transpired in our beginning, we were destined to discover for ourselves what "imperfection" was.

Toss this around in your "noggin" for a while and let me know what you think. Smile

Good Post.
William
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 06:38 pm
@William,
jgweed wrote:
One could just as easily interpret the story to mean that God wanted some pets, and when they would not be docile, innocent creatures but instead began wanting to think for themselves, they became sinners in the hands of an angry God and were punished for being truly human.
One could also then say that God seems to be all-too-human, and certainly not all-knowing.

Right, you could just as easily interpret the story in this way if you do not know how to read.

Aphoric's interpretation is pretty close to my take on the story. Adam and Eve lived in paradise; there is no suggestion that Adam and Eve were somehow ignorant. Adam and Eve can no longer live in Eden after they eat the fruit from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil - once they begin to see the world in dualistic terms, Eden is beyond them.

The story is about dualism, the story is a warning against dualism and dualistic thinking. The snake is not Satan, there is no suggestion of the snake's identify in the text. The snake is simply one with a forked tongue - one who coaxes people to do wrong.
xris

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 06:13 am
@avatar6v7,
But do we not always pick and choose? Is that not the correct policy towards the bible? Also we have to look at what is important. God created the world- that is the why, and the how is of lesser importance. However on other points- like the ressurection, the ressurection is the important point.
You cant pick and choose what you believe if you believe christ was the son of god no you cant..but you can if you think he was a wise man who through other wise men created a story to benefit mankind..
William

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 06:30 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
The story is about dualism, the story is a warning against dualism and dualistic thinking. The snake is not Satan, there is no suggestion of the snake's identify in the text. The snake is simply one with a forked tongue - one who coaxes people to do wrong.

Didymos, I think the snake represented the wisdom of the Earth as it was before man made his debute, IMO. That same wisdom, God, that was what can be defined as "instinct" in the animal was the prevailing "nature" and the only one man knew and subject to. It seems in line to think of woman as more "earthbound" in that here is where she gives birth to her young and could be more subject to that "instinct" and it's nature and the overwhelming phenomenon of the senses and life itself, yet both man and women were both subject to relenting to this nature. I don't think they had a choice in the matter. Only time and knowledge would separate the two as man "learned" what it is to be human and determined for himself what was good and evil. IMO. These are just my thoughts, but to me they make sense. Perhaps they could be better defined. Smile

William
dameedna

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 07:48 am
@William,
I've heard numerous descriptions of this story. I think the OP is on the right path.

Adam and Eve were not aware they were naked. They were not "self-aware", and as such they did not have knowlege of their death, the births, their need and desires to feed. They just existed like all other animals.

At some point in time, mankind became self-aware, and it is at THIS point, that we realize we made choices and they had consequences. Sin, is a result of bad choices. It is missing the mark.

The story goes, that adam and eve ate from the tree of knowlege of good and evil. What does that mean? As soon as they did it..they realized they were naked. God then asks, "who told you , you were naked". This, is a very deliberate question used to make a point. At a point in time..we realized we existed.

We gained knowlege of right and wrong in accordance with those repurcussions, and in a religious sense, understand good from evil. Christianity will claim, that we "failed" and/or "betrayed" God, and the result is this life we live. Take the story literally, and you can see how they come to that conclusion.

The so called "fall" is simply evolution. We evolved into self-aware creatures. The POINT, is that now we are self-aware, we have a responsibility to make toward each other.

The next story asks...am I my brothers keeper? yes..you are Smile That's the issue with self-awareness. We recognize the other..as well.

It never states we fell from a place of perfection, it is our description of our growth into self-awareness and what we need to do with it.

According to ancient man of course. They weren't as stupid as we tend to think they were. Smile
xris

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 08:24 am
@dameedna,
Are we actually talking about facts here or another story that has no relevance and has trouble explaining what it actually means..Elija had his bears eat some kids for laughing at him...is there a deep mystical meaning behind this story..Looking for logic in a book that has none is like looking for sharks in your garden pond..
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 09:22 pm
@xris,

The problem with picking in choosing is pretty simple - what sort of criteria are we to use?

Picking and choosing is easier to do with full books of the Bible as the Bible is simply a collection of individual texts. But when we look at one text, Deuteronomy for example, to accept some parts as authoritative and then reject others is dangerous. That's how we get people who believe that homosexuality is a sin yet somehow manage to convince themselves that eating shellfish, wearing clothes made from more than one sort of fiber, ect is just fine and dandy.

You suggest that some themes are more important than other themes - but, apart from your personal connection with these themes, why should one theme be more important than another? To you, I can understand the hierarchy; perhaps you can relate better to certain aspects. But to suggest that certain themes are universally more important than others does not make much sense to me. The resurrection is important in the New Testament, but it's importance and the nature of it's importance varies from book to book.

William wrote:
Didymos, I think the snake represented the wisdom of the Earth as it was before man made his debute, IMO. That same wisdom, God, that was what can be defined as "instinct" in the animal was the prevailing "nature" and the only one man knew and subject to. It seems in line to think of woman as more "earthbound" in that here is where she gives birth to her young and could be more subject to that "instinct" and it's nature and the overwhelming phenomenon of the senses and life itself, yet both man and women were both subject to relenting to this nature. I don't think they had a choice in the matter. Only time and knowledge would separate the two as man "learned" what it is to be human and determined for himself what was good and evil. IMO. These are just my thoughts, but to me they make sense. Perhaps they could be better defined. Smile

William

That's all fine, but I do not see how this explanation fits the story. Rather, this explanation does not seem to be the best explanation. Dualism cannot exist without humans do practice dualism, and in this way it's difficult for dualism to be wisdom of the earth.

Also, why would the Earth's "wisdom" dictate that man defy God?

And this explanation also seems to be deficient in explaining why God would expel Adam and Eve from Eden. Unless the lesson of the text is that God is vindictive and arbitrary, but if that's the case the text doesn't have a lesson other than "life is tough, get a helmet". And if that is the lesson, the the Genesis story is the most absurdly overwritten tale to be found.

xris wrote:
Are we actually talking about facts here or another story that has no relevance and has trouble explaining what it actually means..Elija had his bears eat some kids for laughing at him...is there a deep mystical meaning behind this story..Looking for logic in a book that has none is like looking for sharks in your garden pond..

Yes, the stories have meaning. Hence their use in religion for thousands of years.
The Bible doesn't contain logic, rather the Bible requires some logic to understand. Logic doesn't exist 'out there', logic is a tool of the human mind used for understanding reality. Logic is all in our own heads.
xris

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 08:34 am
@Didymos Thomas,
So what is the story of the bears eating the kids what is the meaning behind it??
0 Replies

William

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 11:14 am
@Aphoric,
Didymos questioned:
"Also, why would the Earth's "wisdom" dictate that man defy God"?

Our eternal nature plus the overwhelming sensation of our sentient existence was new to the universe. How could man "defy" God when neither God nor man knew what this existence would involve? We are all apart of everything and to the degree we separate ourselves from that we get into trouble which is the dilemma IMO most experience when attempting to define the literal words of genesis. Understanding the "apple" was representative of man's "defiance", what do you think the "apple" was? What could man have done, that would have "angered" God?

Didymos questioned:
"And this explanation also seems to be deficient in explaining why God would expel Adam and Eve from Eden. Unless the lesson of the text is that God is vindictive and arbitrary, but if that's the case the text doesn't have a lesson other than "life is tough, get a helmet". And if that is the lesson, the the Genesis story is the most absurdly overwritten tale to be found".

I am not saying God expelled anyone. That's what "others" are saying, concluding man to be a flawed creation in that he cannot follow rules. What rules? The universe is and we are a part of that and considering the eternal nature of our being and the road we are yet to travel, we must learn what is beneficial and what is not beneficial to the journey. If anything would cause our fall from grace, it would be death itself. Now that makes sense to me. That is what caused the separation as we began to "covet" life itself. In our desire to survive "we" created evil. IMHO; How could man, the sentient being that he is possibly know what "Eden" was, which is fact is life itself until we realize how coveting that very life decreases the very quality of that life prompting us through wisdom to learn from our mistakes. Something we have failed to realize as life continues to spiral down the drain. See list; As far as going so far a saying Genesis as being absurd, I will have to agree with that. But you have to understand "man" wrote those words in his primitive understanding of God. Man defined God, to benefit his own understanding. That's the absurdity. "Tough and get a helmet", huh? We did that, God didn't have anything to do with it. The question is how tough does it have to get before we "see the light"?

William
0 Replies

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 01:02 pm
@xris,
xris wrote:
You cant pick and choose what you believe if you believe christ was the son of god no you cant..but you can if you think he was a wise man who through other wise men created a story to benefit mankind..

so you are telling me what I can and can't believe now? Justify your points as opposed to allowing comments to drop from your lips as if they were the nectar of absolute truth.
nameless

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 04:30 pm
@Aphoric,
Aphoric;36629 wrote:
So I've had this thought in my head for about a week, ...

I love your ability to think, to seek/form connections and patterns beyond the patterns...
As your brain matures and you become more proficient in critical thought, well, ... life is gonna get lonely at times. If there is a balance in life, you are responsible for about 40,000 morons out there somewhere... *__-
(Beware intellectual pride)

Quote:
I'm proud of this one.

Very understandable (assuming that it's all your own work, of course).

Food for thought;
What if there is no 'free-will'? No 'choices'?
Isn't the concept of 'free-will/choice' not first introduced by the Serpent in the Tree?
What if the Serpent is the Ego whispering it's sseductionssss.... "You can be an autonomous doer, a 'god'..."
Welcome to the only 'sin', 'Pride' (the 'belief in 'free-will')!
*__-
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 05:35 pm
@nameless,
William wrote:
Didymos questioned:
"Also, why would the Earth's "wisdom" dictate that man defy God"?

Our eternal nature plus the overwhelming sensation of our sentient existence was new to the universe. How could man "defy" God when neither God nor man knew what this existence would involve? We are all apart of everything and to the degree we separate ourselves from that we get into trouble which is the dilemma IMO most experience when attempting to define the literal words of genesis. Understanding the "apple" was representative of man's "defiance", what do you think the "apple" was? What could man have done, that would have "angered" God?

This makes an odd assumption - that God did not know what man's existence would involve. This is an assumption that seems alien to the text, at least from what I can recall.

Going back to the actual text is important. The text does not mention an apple - the notion that the fruit of the Tree was an apple comes from Milton, not from Genesis.

Man ate the fruit of the Tree, an act forbidden by God. Thus, eating the fruit was blatant defiance of God.
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
William wrote:
Didymos questioned:
"And this explanation also seems to be deficient in explaining why God would expel Adam and Eve from Eden. Unless the lesson of the text is that God is vindictive and arbitrary, but if that's the case the text doesn't have a lesson other than "life is tough, get a helmet". And if that is the lesson, the the Genesis story is the most absurdly overwritten tale to be found".

I am not saying God expelled anyone. That's what "others" are saying, concluding man to be a flawed creation in that he cannot follow rules. What rules? The universe is and we are a part of that and considering the eternal nature of our being and the road we are yet to travel, we must learn what is beneficial and what is not beneficial to the journey. If anything would cause our fall from grace, it would be death itself. Now that makes sense to me. That is what caused the separation as we began to "covet" life itself. In our desire to survive "we" created evil. IMHO; How could man, the sentient being that he is possibly know what "Eden" was, which is fact is life itself until we realize how coveting that very life decreases the very quality of that life prompting us through wisdom to learn from our mistakes. Something we have failed to realize as life continues to spiral down the drain. See list; As far as going so far a saying Genesis as being absurd, I will have to agree with that. But you have to understand "man" wrote those words in his primitive understanding of God. Man defined God, to benefit his own understanding. That's the absurdity. "Tough and get a helmet", huh? We did that, God didn't have anything to do with it. The question is how tough does it have to get before we "see the light"?

William

Well, according to the story, God did expel Adam and Eve from Eden. This does not rely on outside interpretation, it's what the text says. The only "rule" was that Adam and Eve not eat the fruit of the Tree.

I understand your point about death causing our fall from grace, but this notion is alien to the story of Genesis. At least from what I recall of the story.

I like very much what you say about coveting life. I also agree that we, man, created evil, and I think that notion is supported by the text. The fruit of the Tree represents the knowledge of Good and Evil, and so eating that fruit is to create the notion of Good and Evil in the mind of man. Because man invents this duality, man can no longer live in Eden.

To ask 'How could man know what Eden was' is, I think, to miss the point. Man, Adam and Eve, lived in Eden at the beginning of the story. They knew Eden as their home.

I'm not sure why you would think Genesis is absurd. It's mythology and no more absurd than Homer or Gilgamesh or the Mahabharata.
William

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 08:02 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos, let me elaborate a little here on your statements below:

"This makes an odd assumption - that God did not know what man's existence would involve. This is an assumption that seems alien to the text, at least from what I can recall".

That is simply why I question it. It is not so much a alienation as it is reasoning why those "assumptions" could be made. I am just providing my assumption as to "why" those assumptions were made considering the mind of man as he related his experiences of his own being to that of God. It is beyond me how anyone could possibly do that.

"Going back to the actual text is important. The text does not mention an apple - the notion that the fruit of the Tree was an apple comes from Milton, not from Genesis".

I understand the text does not mention the apple, but what is the forbidden fruit? That was never specified as to what exactly that was. That is a huge "blank" and is in and of itself a huge assumption that indoctrinated in the mind of man his frailties when there couldn't have possibly been any and that is why the vague metaphor of the forbidden fruit was used to instill in the mind of man a "wrath" to God that doesn't exist. Yet that is a frailty of man, to have wrath, and to apply that frailty to God, IMO, makes no sense whatsoever. Not if, in the same breath, you are going to use words like omnipotent and omnipresent. All understanding negates anger in all aspects. At least that's how I interpret it.

"Man ate the fruit of the Tree, an act forbidden by God. Thus, eating the fruit was blatant defiance of God".

If you don't mind, allow me to tell you the reason behind that particular statement. It is my fervent belief man cannot be controlled unless you threaten him with losing something he holds dear. Such as his very life. Considering our martyrs, even then there are those who will risk that life in search for the truth. Now risking ones immortal soul is a different matter. The laws of man have proven to be unjust, but the "laws of God", hmmm? What better control could man have over his fellow man than prescribe universal laws of God to quell his inability to be controlled. Man is not "in defiance" of God, he is in defiance of man. So why not "create" a God that caters to what man wants and devise an elaborate "burning bush" scenario. That ought to do the trick. Huh?

Personally, to me, this is the greatest mistake man could possibly make. I call it a mistake in that it, at least in my mind, could be justified considering our only understanding of God is what we can gather from our knowledge and experiences that would lead to that assumption that we are "images" of God and assume He is like Us. Meaning He is the "Supreme" human being guilty of wrath, jealously and vengeance if we don't toe the line. When you really stop and think about it, really think about it, it becomes rather hard to believe. I call that God, the god of those who wish to rule. How convenient that would be.

I have come to conclude man is totally benign except when provoked and threatened. Man does that, God doesn't. Yet he has created a God that supports his greed, oppression, guile as his means to rule his fellow man that threatens his very soul quelling mans innate desire to be free.

"Well, according to the story, God did expel Adam and Eve from Eden. This does not rely on outside interpretation, it's what the text says. The only "rule" was that Adam and Eve not eat the fruit of the Tree".
So it is written? Hmmm?

William