Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 12:07 pm
We are all afraid to become lonly. But can lonlyness be good if the company is bad? and can lonlyness be good for independent thought. but why shall we think if there is no one to tell the thoughts to? do anyone have any thoughts about how lonlyness and the threat of lonlyness work on us generaly or sppecially?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,936 • Replies: 25
No top replies

Theaetetus

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 12:36 pm
@backworldman,
There is a major difference between being in solitude and being lonely. One can be in the company of hundreds and still be lonely, but one cannot be in the company of hundreds and be in solitude. Loneliness is an emotion; solitude is a state of being.

As to loneliness in particular, I think many people hold on to negative relationships for fear of being alone. The world can be a cold place, and people we put trust into can warm in up for us like a nice fire.
alex717

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 04:31 pm
@backworldman,
The subject of loneliness interesting, but to cope with it, we are insisted here on earth to create our own fulfillment and purpose in hope of eliminating emotions of uncertainty,worthlessness, and abandonment. I think that solitude, as he corrected you above, is good and useful. From it you can bring unprejudiced ideas into your mind without contradictions through others rather unorthodox or absurd behavior. Solitude is a threat maybe psychologically in the realm of relationships. Perhaps, it is in our nature to fear it because of our objective purpose to procreate. Although, I feel that if your not content alone, you shouldn't bother putting your focus on being content with others, for you need to be as self sustained as possible, psychologically and spiritually. Until you can use the solitude to progress your mind enough so that it can bring you comfort. Which that in itself, you should strive for, before anything else.
0 Replies

sarek

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 05:37 am
@backworldman,
I do not think anyone is ever completely not lonely. For in order to achieve that happy state one needs another to completely share one's complete being with. And I do not think that that is possible.
Joe

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 06:00 am
@sarek,
loneliness in the consciousness is a product of our perception. How does someone adjust their perception too "Happiness"?

Working with something your interested in and Loving people close too you, is tried and true.
0 Replies

backworldman

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 07:33 am
@sarek,
i have a similar thought. that is that it is impossible to know everything about another, and it is impossible to know exactly how it was. so we sit alone with our experiences to different degrees.
Joe

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 08:07 am
@backworldman,
backworldman wrote:
i have a similar thought. that is that it is impossible to know everything about another, and it is impossible to know exactly how it was. so we sit alone with our experiences to different degrees.

yeh i agree. i'll change my earlier question to reflect that. How does someone adjust their perception to another's "happiness"?
backworldman

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 08:54 am
@Joe,
i read in a book that we get happy from seeing others happy. so it is a sort of emapathy.
Joe

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 09:02 am
@backworldman,
backworldman wrote:
i read in a book that we get happy from seeing others happy. so it is a sort of emapathy.

Yeh, a induced happiness, from a conscious recognition of others happiness. And then the chemicals proceed.Smile
I guess thats part of the motive of our modern day pharmaceutical industry. How do you feel about Prozac and others of that sort?
backworldman

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 09:41 am
@backworldman,
to some poeple medicine is a life saver. but i think they should be more humble towards people who dont want to take these chemicals. i know people that has to take medicine against their will. and that i dont like.
MJA

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 10:03 am
@Joe,
What I know of it:

Loneliness to me comes from the natural gravity or energy to unite with all things. Any lack of unity or division in Ones' life is heart felt as loneliness to me. The world is so full of division and it hurts me so. And as we struggle to identify our own individualtity we compound the energy and divide ourselves from the rest even further. Yet it is that individuality that brings us to the truth of Oneself. And even when Oneself finds the truth that One is truly All. I still wonder if One can live as One in a world so inequitably divided, can One? "One is the lonliest number that you ever knew." Until All is One, I suppose for me I will always be.

But then if loneliness is only the energy or desire to unite the universe, to unite All, it is surely and truly a great and wonderful thing.
Loneliness is the greatest love of All.
God is One, God is All.
0 Replies

backworldman

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 10:24 am
@backworldman,
i like you guru-style of writing. and i aree to the main thoughts you represent.
0 Replies

AaronAgassi phil

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2008 01:40 pm
@backworldman,
Social, emotional and physical needs can be adequately understood and even addressed, without impossibly high standards of intersubjectivity leading needlessly only to Wittgensteinean paralysis. http://www.marxists.org/reference/subject/philosophy/works/at/popper.htm

Happiness and Fulfillment: http://www.FoolQuest.com/wherefore.htm

Loneliness: http://www.FoolQuest.com/wherefore.htm/alien.htm#lonely

Egads, did somebody say: chemical happiness(?): http://www.FoolQuest.com/zen.htm#pill
0 Replies

Elmud

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 09:31 pm
@backworldman,
backworldman wrote:
We are all afraid to become lonly. But can lonlyness be good if the company is bad? and can lonlyness be good for independent thought. but why shall we think if there is no one to tell the thoughts to? do anyone have any thoughts about how lonlyness and the threat of lonlyness work on us generaly or sppecially?

It is a state of unnaturalness.
0 Replies

paisleypea

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2009 09:05 pm
@backworldman,
i think of loneliness as the deprivation of meaning... meaning being some thing we deeply pursue at all times...it deprives us of meaning b/c as social animals we find meaning in life through social interaction/relationships, IMO. If you can't share yourself/thoughts with someone then meaninglessness begins to threaten you...
0 Replies

AaronAgassi phil

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2009 09:30 pm
@backworldman,
All about meaning
0 Replies

hammersklavier

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2009 02:32 pm
@backworldman,
These thread reminds me of a classic Peanuts strip, wherein Linus (?) is talking to Charlie Brown, and he says, more or less, "Have you ever suddenly felt lonely in a vast crowd of people, like, say, at a mall?" And Charlie Brown replies, "I feel lonely when I'm all alone."

Loneliness is an emotion like any other. There are times when we want to be alone with our thoughts. I am the kind of person that does that frequently (as I'm sure many others on this board are), but, like any other emotion, through overuse it can evolve from being calming and positive, like a passive form of meditation, to being negative, a constant reminder of one's lack of some sort of desired social relation, in my case usually a close girlfriend. In this way it's negative.
0 Replies

AaronAgassi phil

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 06:28 am
@backworldman,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,double post
0 Replies

Nameless 23232

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2009 06:58 am
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus;38916 wrote:
There is a major difference between being in solitude and being lonely. One can be in the company of hundreds and still be lonely, but one cannot be in the company of hundreds and be in solitude. Loneliness is an emotion; solitude is a state of being.

As to loneliness in particular, I think many people hold on to negative relationships for fear of being alone. The world can be a cold place, and people we put trust into can warm in up for us like a nice fire.

I agree with your post.
To me loneliness is one of the most authentic emotions available to us, it is a reasonable reaction to the realisation that we can never know the minds of another person and they of us and the sense of isolation that is resultant from that realisation. Of course it is conditioned over time for some, but others are never able to get over that realisation. As such it is not necessarily provoked by any external events and thus not necessarily related to the event of being alone, certainly I have felt lonely in a crowded room.

Solitude however does not in any regard imply any emotion, it is just an external event. Again this is something which is subject to conditioning, in the sense that at an early age we are taught that regular social interaction is a central tenet of happiness and of normality so there's almost certainly a predisposition to fearing being alone. It can of course induce the feeling of loneliness, but it can induce many other feelings, it is for certain a learned technique (that is to be able to embrace solitude). If one is to go about it the right way then a lot can be gained from it, there are possibilities for self-improvement. I for one rarely feel lonely when I am alone.
0 Replies

AaronAgassi phil

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2009 07:43 am
@backworldman,
All about loneliness.
0 Replies