TONE

William

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 12:34 pm
Tone

My daughter called the other day and being the new mother of very active two year old little girl mentioned "THE TERRIBLE TWO's".
I began thinking about that statement and wondered why it exists. These little people don't know words, all they know is the tone of their environment. They seem to know what "that" is. In a look, in what they hear and what they see and feel. Either it is one that offers serenity or it offers conflict without anything to base it on in their understanding, they somehow will reflect it in their behavior to find a place in it and align with it. It is like she will be what she receives so as to be a part and gets lambasted for it, ha!

Are we so used to "dischord" that we are "tone deaf" as it relates to how our senses function or more importantly should function. Is making sense more of a tonal quality than a quantitative one? Does truth have an easy tone to it? Or is it argumentative? To argue takes effort when it could be truth would come easily? Are we just "noisy"? Does noise ever make sense? I don't think it ever does. The noisemakers in effect are wearing earplugs and could care less what they are "putting out there" as they feel no one is paying a attention anyway so what difference does it make?

Perhaps if they make enough noise someone will stop and notice them? I have noticed it here in this forum for it too has noise makers. Myself, I like calm, cool and collected yet my ears are ringing constantly, even now as I type these words, ha! An agreeable ringing and I find a peace in that I cannot explain.

I do so hope someone will understand what I am offering for I think it is important somehow in all the ways we communicate with each other. Does tone matter. I think yes. Now how in all the contexts in which "tone" is used could be quite complicated? I don't know.

Do any of you think tone matters. I would like to know what you think and thanks. Here is a link I have not perused it in detail yet but will. What I have read seems to make sense to me.

William
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 740 • Replies: 3
No top replies

William

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 04:41 pm
@William,
Here is a better link that expresses more about tone.

William
0 Replies

melonkali

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 03:13 am
@William,
Working around animals, especially large animals, who are high-spirited, cantankerous or downright aggressive, is a great teacher of the importance of "tone", if I understand your description of the term. I am awed by the ease with which our local vets (and their large animal assistant) handle our equines. These animal-docs have a unique gift which I can't describe except by its effects: animals and humans alike seem to feel at ease, calm and secure whenever "the doc" comes around.

rebecca
William

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 05:12 am
@melonkali,
melonkali;129614 wrote:
Working around animals, especially large animals, who are high-spirited, cantankerous or downright aggressive, is a great teacher of the importance of "tone", if I understand your description of the term. I am awed by the ease with which our local vets (and their large animal assistant) handle our equines. These animal-docs have a unique gift which I can't describe except by its effects: animals and humans alike seem to feel at ease, calm and secure whenever "the doc" comes around.

rebecca

Hello Rebecca. It's hard to understand tone and all it means. It is not empirical but we do respond to it as it relates to a peaceful resonance that exists between us. I guess you can call it a peaceful assuredness in whatever environment one finds themselves in. I am not a "lover of animals" as I feel they do have there place in the broad scheme of things.

I have my notions as to what the animal is, but will reserve that for now. I agree with what you have to say. It would be nice if "our" doctors were so in tune with their more complex patients. Some are and some are NOT.

Thanks,
William
0 Replies