The fallacy of Argument.

markymark phil

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 03:37 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;78802 wrote:
No idea who is in the forum, and don't know enough about them. You don't have to be the smartest person in the class to know who is the smartest person, or the next smartest person in the class. The kids know that before the semester is half over. They are the ones you go to for "help" with your homework, and copy from on tests.

good god I sense you have a comlex about your ability to be listened to. I think maybe you need to feel important. Well big news for you son, if you think you can even get close to having an original thought on this forum you are doing well, and that includes all of us. Best be humble and hope we don't have stumble on a genius to find us out.
urangutan

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 04:47 am
@William,
I was given it at school, for having a tinge of colour in my hair that was orange, plus I ate an orange iceblock every day. I was long armed, so that didn't help unless I was in a tree where my mobility was quite remarkable. I in fact assured then that I was urangutan.

I checked the thesaurus under the word name, no avatar to be found. I guessed it was that but I wasn't quite sure.
Caroline

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 06:55 am
@urangutan,
urangutan;79215 wrote:
I was given it at school, for having a tinge of colour in my hair that was orange, plus I ate an orange iceblock every day. I was long armed, so that didn't help unless I was in a tree where my mobility was quite remarkable. I in fact assured then that I was urangutan.

I checked the thesaurus under the word name, no avatar to be found. I guessed it was that but I wasn't quite sure.

Avatar is a small picture, mine for instance is Alfred Hitchcock.
0 Replies

scian

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 02:12 pm
@markymark phil,
It seems to me that we attach a lot of significance to rankings. When I compare myself to others do I not have a tendency to rank myself against the other? Humanity seems to do this with everything. How much money do I have compared to you? How fast can I run this race compared to you? In reality-as much as we all don't like to admit it-we are not created equal. We differ through genetics, environment, wealth, and many other differences. Given all the variables there is no way we can be expected to be equal.

I know for a fact no matter how hard I try I will never, ever be a professional football player. I could get in great shape, and catch the ball better than anyone, but the bottom line is that I simply don't have the hand-size to be a QB nor the speed to be a receiver, nor the size to tackle a 300lb linebacker. However, inequality does not dictate value.

There are people in the forum that are smart than I am and better equipped to philosophize than I am. But, this does not change the fact that I am still able to contribute. Even if it's only a 1% contribution it's still a contribution. And when the whole of things is considered, 1% is just as important as 99%.

Inequality seems to me to be necessary. It's the Pathos of Distance. I can change and grow just as effectively as interacting with those that are above me as well as those below me. Does not the teacher also learn from the student?

Conflict seems to me to be a necessary byproduct of our inequalities. We are distanced through each other by many things. Distance changes perception, which skews our understanding of each other. Conflict is the method that we attempt to resolve those misperceptions. We both smell the inside of a box, but can't see what is inside. I smell roses, you smell poo. Our perceptions conflict because we are not the same person. Based on what we smell we each conclude there is something different in the box. We use argument as a tool to convince the other that we are correct. When we open the box one of us will be wrong. But we will both have learned from the argument. If it was poo then I know that what I smell to be roses is probably really poo.
0 Replies