A Word of thanks.

William

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 08:25 pm
Just a word of thanks to those who are active in this forum. I know I am an "odd sort" and am most grateful for the civility and all too human frailties of those who post their thoughts here, me definitely included. I am so glad to be a part of that. I have learned so much, though I do regret not being able to participate in all the threads in that some are beyond my meager academic education, I enjoy learning from them. Thanks for allowing me to offer my, sometimes reaching, perspectives

Thanks again,Smile
William
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 603 • Replies: 4
No top replies

jgweed

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 08:42 am
@William,
I think it is often overlooked that what makes this community both unique and very strong is that a majority of its Members want to contribute to its spirit of co-operation in diffusing knowledge and perspectives, and in doing so with some courtesy and respect towards one another.
That is why I joined, and that is why I remain.
John
0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 09:02 am
@William,
I joined the forum because I saw what could potentially be the strongest example of philosophy in action. Real philosophy outside the realm of the classroom and its isolation from the real world. As a philosophy student, the classroom can suck the life out of my inner philosopher and deflate my enthusiasm for philosophy, but witnessing people trying to make sense of the world for themselves quickly negates that effect.

Anyway, your gratitude is a reflection of the strength of this growing community of philosophers. Due to the nature of the mind and how it progresses over time, many future conversations should be rather interesting.

By the way, where did this quote come from: "It is not so important to prove our immortality, but it is imperative to believe as though we are."?
William

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 10:18 am
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus wrote:

By the way, where did this quote come from: "It is not so important to prove our immortality, but it is imperative to believe as though we are."?

Thanks, for asking. That little bit of wisdom is all mine. Smile

William
0 Replies

sarek

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 01:20 pm
@William,
William wrote:
Just a word of thanks to those who are active in this forum. I know I am an "odd sort" and am most grateful for the civility and all too human frailties of those who post their thoughts here, me definitely included. I am so glad to be a part of that. I have learned so much, though I do regret not being able to participate in all the threads in that some are beyond my meager academic education, I enjoy learning from them. Thanks for allowing me to offer my, sometimes reaching, perspectives

Thanks again,Smile
William

It is precisely your kind of thinking that the world needs. And remember that some of the greatest thinkers of all time were also autodidacts.
0 Replies