Not solving the problem = Not understanding language

Hermes

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 12:37 pm
I see lots of discussion where people use words like "consciousness", "thought", "memory", or even more fanciful terms such as "qualia". I propose that any use of these words in an attempt to uncover how the mind works is useless and misguided.

a) There is no logical, algorithmic or scientific definition for any of these, or similar, terms. Therefore they have no meaning and no place in the definition of anything computational, which is, implicitly, the goal of said research.

b) The mind, as is a quality established by evolution, makes assumptions about and "covers up" the true nature of the world around us. Materials that appear solid are mostly, physically, nothing... but appear as they do because of the SNF/WNF/electromagnetism. The history of science is the story of incorrect assumptions being repeatedly overturned as science and technology revealed things that could not have been intuited nor demonstrated otherwise.

Thus, the language we use to describe the mind, being as old and as ill-informed as it is, a legacy from a time where the mind was not known computationally (a time we are still in), is completely redundant and should never be entertained by anyone serious on this subject.

Now, one should ask, "what language should we use?" The answer I propose is the language of ontology. To be more precise, relative ontology.

Relative ontology takes no datum, no standard and no specific context from which to base itself on. It only takes the formless "entity" as a building block, and through working out how entities work together, an ontological system, that is something that is productive of emergent functions, can be worked out. Then, with only one assumption, the brain is a product of natural selection, and taking the human situation as a guide, the whole system of the mind can be built from the ground up.

What say you?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,864 • Replies: 22
No top replies

RDanneskjld

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 01:34 pm
@Hermes,
I think that is more a fact that our ordinary language leads us into painting a false picture of language surrounding the concept of mind, sensations, the internal and external. It is also important to remember that words like "consciousness", "thought", "memory" are used within different language games in different ways. I dont think constructing a new language of 'relative ontology' is the answer. We just need to examine the use of our language and how it leads us into painting false pictures about the mind and much can be achieved by this method. To quote Wittgenstein 'But ordinary language is all right.'
0 Replies

prothero

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 09:55 pm
@Hermes,
Although I think definitions are helpful and precise use of language is important,
Not all philosophical problems are language problems.
Determinism versus free will is more than a language problem.
Viewing the universe as a mechanistic deterministic machine versus any form of theism in not just a language problem.
In fact linguistic analysis or analytic philosophy excludes more problems than it solves.
richrf

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 11:20 pm
@prothero,
No language can describe what one creates in their minds. But we do our best. What is called miscommunication is merely two people perceiving things differently but unable to describe the differences to each other because of the differences in experiences that we each have.

What does this mean?

Quote:
Relative ontology takes no datum, no standard and no specific context from which to base itself on. It only takes the formless "entity" as a building block, and through working out how entities work together, an ontological system, that is something that is productive of emergent functions, can be worked out. Then, with only one assumption, the brain is a product of natural selection, and taking the human situation as a guide, the whole system of the mind can be built from the ground up.

For me, it has no meaning. But, we can discuss it for a lifetime.

Rich
0 Replies

jgweed

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 07:06 am
@Hermes,
In a way, the language (and thought) used to describe, for lack of a better phrase, mental functions, has seemingly caused a great deal of confusion. One has only to think of Cartesian dualism. But whether this was caused linguistically or by lack of scientific understanding, which we are just beginning to explore, is debatable. What does seem to be the case, however, that as we do learn more about mental functions, we find ways to use language to describe and to think about novel concepts; words have a life of their own, and can change and grow or simply disappear, or new words can be coined. As I understand the original argument, a new linguistic environment is suggested as a solution that avoids the earlier problems. It would seem that language is not only capable of that, but is on its own working toward that goal.

Another possible approach, at least for the present and to avoidi linguistic confusions, is to begin philosophical analysis with the Self and its world, including Others and society. This implies abandoning discussions (for example) of "mind" vs, "brain" or at least only making tentative remarks about mental functions. This ontological framework, I take to be the stand of some of the existentialists (e.g., Sartre or Heidegger) and the "life-philosophy" school (e.g.Schultz) closely allied to the phenomenological approach.
Hermes

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 10:11 am
@jgweed,
R.Danneskjöld;89257 wrote:
.... I dont think constructing a new language of 'relative ontology' is the answer. We just need to examine the use of our language and how it leads us into painting false pictures about the mind and much can be achieved by this method. To quote Wittgenstein 'But ordinary language is all right.'

Since when has "ordinary language" been all right? There is no scientific progress in history that has been untouched by neologisms to describe the new concepts. I agree that ordinary language paints an erroneous picture, like ancient concepts of the four elements does for physics, but examination of the flaws of that system isn't likely to take us anywhere. Are there any examples where this has been shown to be profitable?

prothero;89314 wrote:
Although I think definitions are helpful and precise use of language is important,
Not all philosophical problems are language problems.
Determinism versus free will is more than a language problem.
Viewing the universe as a mechanistic deterministic machine versus any form of theism in not just a language problem.
In fact linguistic analysis or analytic philosophy excludes more problems than it solves.

I would disagree with this; if philosophical debate is reasoned logic, and the currency of logic is language, then all philosophical debate can, on some level, be reduced to a question of language. Of course, as you say, the relative importance of the language may differ depending on the topic in question. I was arguing that for the specific topic of the "problem of consciousness", language IS the most important aspect of debate, being, as I argued, inherently flawed. What do you think of this case in particular?

richrf;89330 wrote:
No language can describe what one creates in their minds. But we do our best.

Is there any argument that goes with this?
Some variation of Godel's theorem?

jgweed;89376 wrote:
In a way, the language (and thought) used to describe, for lack of a better phrase, mental functions, has seemingly caused a great deal of confusion. One has only to think of Cartesian dualism. But whether this was caused linguistically or by lack of scientific understanding, which we are just beginning to explore, is debatable.

Agreed, though not that debatable. Descartes presented a view of the mind that supported God. No linguistic or scientific problem because dualism was not originally meant to address these issues. Some have tried to make dualism a scientific or a linguistic problem, but really it's just a problem of scientific ignorance, there has never in history been any evidence to support the idea that "consciousness" is not the result of the function of the brain.

Quote:
What does seem to be the case, however, that as we do learn more about mental functions, we find ways to use language to describe and to think about novel concepts; words have a life of their own, and can change and grow or simply disappear, or new words can be coined. As I understand the original argument, a new linguistic environment is suggested as a solution that avoids the earlier problems. It would seem that language is not only capable of that, but is on its own working toward that goal.

Yes, and I certainly hope so!

Quote:
Another possible approach, at least for the present and to avoidi linguistic confusions, is to begin philosophical analysis with the Self and its world, including Others and society. This implies abandoning discussions (for example) of "mind" vs, "brain" or at least only making tentative remarks about mental functions. This ontological framework, I take to be the stand of some of the existentialists (e.g., Sartre or Heidegger) and the "life-philosophy" school (e.g.Schultz) closely allied to the phenomenological approach.

Again I agree, and this idea of beginning again, from scratch, is the path I decided to take. However, you mention existentialism, but I consider this too high level to jump into the problem. The lower-level you start, the fewer logical presuppositions need to be made. Thus the use of relative-ontology, relativism as a computational process, there is no culture, no mental processes to explain, just algorithmic functions like neurons. Simple stuff that can be described and defined with clarity.
RDanneskjld

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 10:41 am
@Hermes,
Hermes;89247 wrote:

a) There is no logical, algorithmic or scientific definition for any of these, or similar, terms. Therefore they have no meaning and no place in the definition of anything computational, which is, implicitly, the goal of said research.

The Computational theory of mind is not the only programme of research being undertaken within Cognitive science.

Hermes;89408 wrote:
Since when has "ordinary language" been all right? There is no scientific progress in history that has been untouched by neologisms to describe the new concepts. I agree that ordinary language paints an erroneous picture, like ancient concepts of the four elements does for physics, but examination of the flaws of that system isn't likely to take us anywhere. Are there any examples where this has been shown to be profitable.

Actually the study and clarification of ordinary language has been very profitable in the development of a Science of Conciousness, a quick look through academic publications will reveal this. Philosophers such as Daniel Dennett (greatly influential in Cognitive science) who was greatly influenced by Wittgenstein and was also taught by ordinary language Philosopher Gilbert Ryle can be seen in some ways as caring on their legacy with much success.
Hermes

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 11:09 am
@RDanneskjld,
My responses are going to focus on practicality, RD...

R.Danneskjöld;89415 wrote:
The Computational theory of mind is not the only programme of research being undertaken within Cognitive science.

What other approach would serve any purpose at all? In a technological sense, there is only a computational theory that is required. In a mystical sense, well, anything at all can and has been acceptable.

Quote:

Actually the study and clarification of ordinary language has been very profitable in the development of a Science of Conciousness, a quick look through academic publications will reveal this. Philosophers such as Daniel Dennett (greatly influential in Cognitive science) who was greatly influenced by Wittgenstein and was also taught by ordinary language Philosopher Gilbert Ryle can be seen in some ways as caring on their legacy with much success.

OK, I have not read anything by Dennett, but I am quite sure that he hasn't built a sentient machine yet, so this "profitability" is highly questionable! Rather, I was wondering if there were any proven examples in history where looking at common language has had any scientific merit. I was thinking of something like Fred Hoyle using the anthropic principle to get his carbon reaction. Similar, but more specific to language. I can't think of one, and I seriously doubt there is an example.
richrf

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 11:38 am
@Hermes,
Hermes;89408 wrote:
I would disagree with this; if philosophical debate is reasoned logic, and the currency of logic is language, then all philosophical debate can, on some level, be reduced to a question of language.

For me, these are unnecessary constraints. I find images and pictures more helpful at times. For example, Wheeler in his book, describes his own Delayed-Choice Gedanken, using a picture of a baseball diamond. The Cubists and the Impressionists add much to my own philosophical thinking with their art. I myself like to use the old TV show Camouflage as an example of how Nature hides. Language may be your currency of exchange and you may try logic if this is your preferred approach, but it not my chosen means because language is rife with problems and is too limiting for me.

Hermes;89408 wrote:
Is there any argument that goes with this?
Some variation of Godel's theorem?

Bertrand Russell spent a lifetime trying to make heads or tails of language. He finally exhausted himself. I think it was Godel, according to Paul, that finally put a rest to his efforts.

Rich
0 Replies

RDanneskjld

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 11:38 am
@Hermes,
Hermes;89417 wrote:
What other approach would serve any purpose at all? In a technological sense, there is only a computational theory that is required. In a mystical sense, well, anything at all can and has been acceptable.

Other non mystical approaches can be made in regards to the study of the brain. The computational theory of mind (Which I'm agnostic about) has come under both scientific criticism and conceptual critcism. Surely we want to be engaging in the correct approach

Hermes;89417 wrote:

OK, I have not read anything by Dennett, but I am quite sure that he hasn't built a sentient machine yet, so this "profitability" is highly questionable! Rather, I was wondering if there were any proven examples in history where looking at common language has had any scientific merit.

Firstly saying that someone hasnt built a sentient machine makes the profitability of their contributions to the field of Cognitive Science as highly questionable is a informal fallacy. As fair as I'm aware no one has built a sentient machine yet, does this mean the "profitability" of all the other work in the field is questionable?

Wittgenstein for example is often featured in books in neuroscience, in particular books on the neuroscience of language and certainly some of Wittgenstein's ideas have scientific value. As well as providing important conceptual analysis, which is what I believe that neuroscience and cognitive science is most in need of.
Hermes

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 08:10 pm
@RDanneskjld,
richrf;89421 wrote:
For me, these are unnecessary constraints. I find images and pictures more helpful at times. For example, Wheeler in his book, describes his own Delayed-Choice Gedanken, using a picture of a baseball diamond. The Cubists and the Impressionists add much to my own philosophical thinking with their art. I myself like to use the old TV show Camouflage as an example of how Nature hides. Language may be your currency of exchange and you may try logic if this is your preferred approach, but it not my chosen means because language is rife with problems and is too limiting for me.

Art is great, I too find some answers to these questions in painting, literature or music, but these are personal, esoteric answers that primarily serve to give me a spiritual comfort. Is there any practical merit to these answers?

R.Danneskjöld;89422 wrote:
Other non mystical approaches can be made in regards to the study of the brain. The computational theory of mind (Which I'm agnostic about) has come under both scientific criticism and conceptual critcism. Surely we want to be engaging in the correct approach

So... what other approaches are possible/promising/correct?

Quote:

Firstly saying that someone hasnt built a sentient machine makes the profitability of their contributions to the field of Cognitive Science as highly questionable is a informal fallacy. As fair as I'm aware no one has built a sentient machine yet, does this mean the "profitability" of all the other work in the field is questionable?

A resounding, "Yes". There may be spin-off gains, such as with basic automata, but no theory can be said to have achieved its aims or be productive until experimentally proven and technologically/practically applied. Why do you think the Nobel institute waits so many years after discoveries to award prizes? Because even once someone comes up with a new discovery, it takes that long for the full effects of that thought to be practically felt. And, more significantly, the vast majority of theories do not cut the mustard and simply have no meaning/effect at all.

Quote:

Wittgenstein for example is often featured in books in neuroscience, in particular books on the neuroscience of language and certainly some of Wittgenstein's ideas have scientific value. As well as providing important conceptual analysis, which is what I believe that neuroscience and cognitive science is most in need of.

What contributions of Wittgenstein in particular are you thinking about?
I have only read his work in passing, and never encountered it in neuroscience textbooks.

There seems to be a distinct lack of practical thinking on this subject. Is it so hard to accept that the brain is a bundle of neurons behaving much like transistors and that, somehow, through some crazy chance of the fates, our ancestors didn't have a freaking clue what was going on and just made up some words to describe what was happening, and now these words are turning out to be insufficient?

C'mon people! :detective:
Leonard

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 08:34 pm
@Hermes,
Subjective definitions are a problem, so I tend to define what I mean when I am using a more subjective term. Some people also do that, but epistemology and metaphysics are popular topics. Unfortunately we can't all agree on a definition for anything listed, so we should describe the context and/or use of the term.
0 Replies

richrf

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 09:09 pm
@Hermes,
Hermes;89521 wrote:
Art is great, I too find some answers to these questions in painting, literature or music, but these are personal, esoteric answers that primarily serve to give me a spiritual comfort. Is there any practical merit to these answers?

Incredibly so. But it is not like you look at it and say AH-HAH, I see practical value. It is a long winding road of exploration, experience, and learning, and then one takes a look at it and says AH-HAH. I would say that my experiences with Cubism twenty years ago was completely different than it is today - and for me it is all about learning to look at things from different perspectives for practical purposes. It is helpful in all aspects of my life. Much more so than tons of philosophy books. For others, maybe not.

Rich
0 Replies

jgweed

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 07:16 am
@Hermes,
Current philosophical thinking seems to have been become tyrannized by two ways (patterns, horizons) of thinking: on the one hand the rhetoric of the political (starting after, say, WWI as Benda deplored in his Treason of the Intellectuals) and on the other that of the scientific/technological. In this trend of colonization, it follows the intellectual climate of the times in which politicians and scientists hold language in their hands.

But perhaps it is necessary for Philosophy to reclaim language, not just for itself, but for thinking in general, and find its own voice, which has been lost the last fifty years. Certainly the times in which we live call for philosophical thinking on the grand scale, and not all the interminable, crabbed papers in journals its workers address to one another.
Hermes

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 10:53 am
@jgweed,
richrf;89528 wrote:
Incredibly so. But it is not like you look at it and say AH-HAH, I see practical value. It is a long winding road of exploration, experience, and learning, and then one takes a look at it and says AH-HAH. I would say that my experiences with Cubism twenty years ago was completely different than it is today - and for me it is all about learning to look at things from different perspectives for practical purposes. It is helpful in all aspects of my life. Much more so than tons of philosophy books. For others, maybe not.

Rich

Yes, I am in total agreement on the benefits of art tackling consciousness spiritually and practically on a personal level, and of course this does, sometimes, translate to benevolence in a wider sense.

But if we get down to the nuts'n'bolts of the issue, it's computation that is going to have the biggest impact by far. The language used to elicit emotional understanding is of an entirely different quality to that needed to program lines of code.

jgweed;89587 wrote:
Current philosophical thinking seems to have been become tyrannized by two ways (patterns, horizons) of thinking: on the one hand the rhetoric of the political (starting after, say, WWI as Benda deplored in his Treason of the Intellectuals) and on the other that of the scientific/technological. In this trend of colonization, it follows the intellectual climate of the times in which politicians and scientists hold language in their hands.

Not heard of Benda before, was amused by the name and the subject of the book and ordered it, thanks for that!

I agree with the summary of philosophy, and can find no one to blame but those who have practised in the name of "philosophy" and spouted untestable nonsense. Culture has rapidly become technocratic this last century, where the practical is revered above all else. My own thinking, as I'm sure many others is too, is a product of this; philosophy of politics, morality and theology are historical curiosities to while away the time.

The appropriation of language is something that is as old as writing and vested interests; biblical midrash is a huge topic. But the power to control interpretation is something that, whilst still common in mainstream culture (esp. selective/interpreted news "reporting"), one hopes that the desire for practical advance is enough to ensure a meritocratic treatment of language within intellectual circles.

(One might level this argument at the mystic's role in the consciousness debate. Since they seem to not desire any scientific progress, nor seem capable of practical mystical progress either, theirs becomes an exercise in midrash, seeking to control interpretation of the topic at hand, to keep it mystical. Tenure of their position is the only appreciable goal.)

Quote:

But perhaps it is necessary for Philosophy to reclaim language, not just for itself, but for thinking in general, and find its own voice, which has been lost the last fifty years. Certainly the times in which we live call for philosophical thinking on the grand scale, and not all the interminable, crabbed papers in journals its workers address to one another.

Agreed wholeheartedly! :bigsmile:
Caroline

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 10:55 am
@Hermes,
I agree with that last comment too. Smile
0 Replies

richrf

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 11:41 am
@Hermes,
Hermes;90139 wrote:
But if we get down to the nuts'n'bolts of the issue, it's computation that is going to have the biggest impact by far.

Maybe as one is first setting out in life, and is making a living that computation has a larger impact. However, as one gets older, the thought then turns to the spiritual. I think it is the cycle of life, and for everyone the cycle is a bit different. The Tarot provides a very nice story about the cycle of life.

Rich
Hermes

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 12:08 pm
@richrf,
richrf;90144 wrote:
Maybe as one is first setting out in life, and is making a living that computation has a larger impact. However, as one gets older, the thought then turns to the spiritual. I think it is the cycle of life, and for everyone the cycle is a bit different. The Tarot provides a very nice story about the cycle of life.

It has occurred to me that when I am older, I shall possibly lose my desire to find answers to this, and other, issues Surprised... As for making a living from it, I'm quite against the idea. There is too much "research" that amounts to nothing more than a wordy post one could make on a forum (like I do from time to time). Academia is now a business that wants to burn through as many trees as possible to solidify their income and power; copyrighted knowledge produced within their walls.

But I can't imagine settling for something other than... reality. If a computational mind was developed in your lifetime, would you not wish to embrace that knowledge and observe the impact on pre-existing theories? If that knowledge is desirous, for whatever reason, why not actively seek it now?

And a question rather off topic, but I am interested to know if there are any takers; why would one not wish to have a computational consciousness?
Caroline

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 12:11 pm
@Hermes,
What makes you think they're not actively seeking it?
Hermes

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 12:24 pm
@Caroline,
Caroline;90152 wrote:
What makes you think they're not actively seeking it?

You are referring to the mystics? I'm not sure really, I guess I can't see any goal in a mystical explanation, there is no tangible end to such an inquiry. What do you get from that? A fuller comprehension of God/the gods? So if there is no end, there can't be a path... or rather, there is a path, but it doesn't go anywhere, and if it doesn't go anywhere then I would hesitate to call it "research" or "actively seeking" an answer. :eek:
0 Replies