A theory of consciousness

Hermes

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 10:47 am
@xris,
Hmm... I find it hard to respond to what you say Brightmoon. What you write is very much in opposition to basic scientific premises, basic experience and the history of technology. Let me offer this hypothetical question:

Imagine we live on a planet with two sentient species. Their evolutionary paths diverged hundreds of millions of years ago, their appearance and behaviour is quite dissimilar; yet they both appear to be conscious and engage in discussion, science, culture etc. as much as any human can be observed to do so.

Species A decides to study the minds of captured species B individuals. They do EEGs, MRIs, X-Ray CAT, dissection, genetic and embryological research, they build a computational representation of this mind - mimicking it on a neuronal level - and this program behaves just like a regular being of species B.

Is this possible?

(If you are going to say no because species A cannot "escape" their own conscious condition, then I am going to respond with the long list of technological advances that they could make - the x-ray machine and the like - that were developed using the exact same processes, by the very same world their minds had created. So if you say no, I would like a very good reason!)
Blazenarrow

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 12:59 pm
@Hermes,
Hermes:

I haven't read the complete model you are proposing for consciousness. However I've read portions of it, as well as many of your responses and remarks in this thread. I have a few questions for you, as I am very interested in this topic myself.

1.) What is your background and general age? Are you a trained philosopher, student, or other background?

2.) It seems to me that you are attempting to correlate the evolution of the brain/nervous system with the phenomena of consciousness. Are you suggesting that consciousness is a product of the advanced evolution of our brains?
0 Replies

xris

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 01:13 pm
@Hermes,
Hermes wrote:
Hmm... I find it hard to respond to what you say Brightmoon. What you write is very much in opposition to basic scientific premises, basic experience and the history of technology. Let me offer this hypothetical question:

Imagine we live on a planet with two sentient species. Their evolutionary paths diverged hundreds of millions of years ago, their appearance and behaviour is quite dissimilar; yet they both appear to be conscious and engage in discussion, science, culture etc. as much as any human can be observed to do so.

Species A decides to study the minds of captured species B individuals. They do EEGs, MRIs, X-Ray CAT, dissection, genetic and embryological research, they build a computational representation of this mind - mimicking it on a neuronal level - and this program behaves just like a regular being of species B.

Is this possible?

(If you are going to say no because species A cannot "escape" their own conscious condition, then I am going to respond with the long list of technological advances that they could make - the x-ray machine and the like - that were developed using the exact same processes, by the very same world their minds had created. So if you say no, I would like a very good reason!)
Apart from the complexities that the brain holds in its analytical mode its intuitive rational its a ability to think on completely new views of awareness...it still has no idea on its own awareness and how it consciously is..The is is an enigma, it can not comprehend the very thing it comprehends with..It only comes to personal belief in the end that no one can deny or confirm..We can not even produce the simplest living organism so making a human with his brain..fantasy.
Hermes

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 08:04 pm
@xris,
Blazenarrow;32711 wrote:
Hermes:

I haven't read the complete model you are proposing for consciousness. However I've read portions of it, as well as many of your responses and remarks in this thread. I have a few questions for you, as I am very interested in this topic myself.

1.) What is your background and general age? Are you a trained philosopher, student, or other background?

Hmmm.... I'd rather not answer this kind of question I'm afraid! I feel it can only prejudice one's perception of what one reads. What matter is my age or education? If I am young or old, highly educated or self taught, it does not change any of the arguments at hand. Sorry, I mean no offence! (Suffice to say, I am no longer within an academic institution, thus I must seek criticism on forums :bigsmile: )

Quote:

2.) It seems to me that you are attempting to correlate the evolution of the brain/nervous system with the phenomena of consciousness. Are you suggesting that consciousness is a product of the advanced evolution of our brains?

Both yes and no... the original model was purely philosophical. I then attempted to explain a) how it could arise, and b) how it applies, within an evolutionary and biological context. I think both are important to a) ground it rationally within the world and not leave it as a mystical philosophical construct, and b) open the model up for testing and the scientific method.

So, basically, to answer your question, I do believe the brain is a result of evolution.

xris;32714 wrote:
Apart from the complexities that the brain holds in its analytical mode its intuitive rational its a ability to think on completely new views of awareness...it still has no idea on its own awareness and how it consciously is..The is is an enigma, it can not comprehend the very thing it comprehends with..It only comes to personal belief in the end that no one can deny or confirm..We can not even produce the simplest living organism so making a human with his brain..fantasy.

If you are right then you are right Smile
Penrose argued something similar, though on a more "mathematical" foundation (the idea that a process cannot "truthfully"/formally know its own functioning). I think such arguments really mystify the whole subject.

Can an xray machine xray another xray machine?
Can a computer run a simulation of another computer within it?

Of course. There is nothing inherently "circular" or "enigmatic" about a process investigating or understanding itself... I shall quote a section from the start of Being and Time...

Quote:
Is ther not, however, a manifest circularity in such an undertaking? If we must first define an entity in its Being, and if we want to formulate the question of Being only on this basis, what is this but going in a circle? In working out our question have we not 'presupposed' something which only the answer can bring? Formal objections such as the argument about 'circular reasoning', which can easily be cited at any time in the study of first principles, are always sterile when one is considering concrete ways of investigting. When it comes to understanding the matter at hand, they carry no weight and keep us from penetrating the field of study.

But factically there is no circle at all in formulating our question as we have described. One can determine the nature of entities in their Being without necessarily having the explicit concept of the meaning of Being at one's disposal.

In the question of the meaning of Being there is no 'circular reasoning' but rather a remarkable 'relatedness backward or forward' which what we are asking about (Being) bears to the inquiry itself as a mode of Being of an entity.

Being and Time, H.7,8

This is the basic form of Heidegger's argument on this point. He is being practical, which is what we must do to make progress. There is nothing to be gained by denying the possibility of finding the process of consciousness; it is negative philosophizing to no end. A better channel for such energies would be to try and explain why the model proposed - in itself - shall not work.
0 Replies

BrightNoon

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 12:35 am
@Hermes,
Hermes wrote:

Is this possible?

This scenario is completely possible and in no way contradicts what I am saying.

Nothing that you think about is experienced as something outside of consciousness; i.e. you can never be aware of something while it is existing outside of your experience of it. The fact that you are aware of something, means that it exists in your consciousness. It may also have an existance outside of your experience of it, but you cannot, by definition, know that. The world, as we know it, exists in our consciousness. If we knew about a world outside of our consciousness, it would have to be unknown by definition, which obviously is a non sequitur.

Do you see my point? Consciousness contains everything, because everything consists of that of which we are aware. Only what we cannot think of, what we are unaware of, exists outside consciousness, and obviously, we can't know anything about that!

Therefore, as everything, as the context in which everything exists, consciousness cannot be defined. In terms of what could it be defined? Any attempts by science to define consciousness by certain neural arrangements and biological processess is a misunderstanding. For whom is such a scientific defintion intended; by whom is it to be understood; if by a person, then that idea exists within consciousness. At best, science can, and probably will, explain how consciousness evolved, what kind fo mechanism appears to create it, but it cannot, by definition, answer the question; 'what is consciousness?'
Hermes

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 07:14 am
@BrightNoon,
I think we shall have to agree to disagree Brightmoon, I cannot follow the logic of your arguments at all.

Quote:
Consciousness contains everything, because everything consists of that of which we are aware. Only what we cannot think of, what we are unaware of, exists outside consciousness, and obviously, we can't know anything about that!

So... Newton, for example, knew nothing of the internal combustion engine - he was not aware of it, nor the possibility of anything remotely like it (and the millions of people of his time and that came before) - so by your argument he could never come to understand it, since it was clearly outside of his knowledge? Is it not fair to say that in fact ALL of our technology was at one time outside the knowledge of our ancestors, but we now possess that knowledge??

And you agree that the hypothetical is possible, and you concede that science can find the process of consciousness, but you deny that in so doing it has been understood?

Quote:
At best, science can, and probably will, explain how consciousness evolved, what kind fo mechanism appears to create it, but it cannot, by definition, answer the question; 'what is consciousness?'

You seem to be splitting nano-tubule like filaments. As I posted before, an explanation of what a process is is understanding it. That is all there is.
xris

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 08:26 am
@Hermes,
I think you are chasing moon beams...I dont think you can actually describe consciousness or what it is other than it is an awareness of being alive and the control it exerts on its being...the brain works when it is sleeping but it has no awareness of itself...All the functions of brain are there but not functioning because the conscious mind is not in control..We have these areas of the brain that function independently giving us pleasure ... verbal emotional and any of these can be damaged and the conscious brain looses it command of them or it can by sleeping be dormant...Im rambling...Actually finding the real nitty gritty part that is our consciousness can be detected but not explained...do animals have the same area of the brain dormant in sleep and they are not conscious as we understand consciousness..I wish you luck..I know i can wonder at the stars but my dog cant ..
Hermes

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 09:05 am
@xris,
Since I have posted this model on several forums 90% of the responses have been along the lines of "a computational model of consciousness is not possible for reason x". Reason X tends to be general disbelief, mind-body/hard "problem" objections or the impossibility of answering the question on "logical" grounds. I must admit I did not expect such a strong, though often vague, negative response, but I have grown accustomed to it. Most criticisms have been directed against the idea of computational consciousness itself, and I think I am not the best advocate to argue against this since I have taken it for granted that it is possible (these arguments have helped me question it to some extent, though my position is unchanged).

I might add that no one has, to date, offered a criticism of the model in terms of what it proposes, (ie. found a flaw in the logic presented) though this was what I asked for. Conversely, I have had perhaps two people offer tentative support to the idea. It is a strange thing though, because a proposition is not made true by acclaim, but rather by the absence of critique (perceived error - actual error would only arise in testing). In this regard, I am quite pleased so far!

I respect your opinions, both xris and brightmoon, and anyone else who disagrees it is possible - for whatever reason (and I expect there to be a lot of religious views that shall disagree with the possibility yet never be able to justify with anything other than belief). We all seek to share ourselves with like minded individuals, or even convince others of the correctness of our own thinking; this is largely what I am doing. I guess we aren't going to change each other's minds anytime soon though!

All I can ask is that when people start having conversations with machines the doubters reassess their perspectives :bigsmile:
BrightNoon

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 02:53 pm
@Hermes,
Hermes,
I want to make something clear. I think you are absolutely right in assuming that a computer of some kind can model consciousness and that humanity will in the future be able to create objects that appear conscious (the fact that they only appear conscious is not a strike against them; from any one human perspectove, other people only appear conscious).

My point is not practical. Let me try one last time to express it in a way that makes sense to someone other than myself.

(1) When one speaks of the 'the world' one is speaking about the world of which one is aware; obviously, one could not think about something that one does not know about. The world known by an individual consists only of things of which one is aware.

(2) Consciousness, as I use the word, means, everything of which one is aware, the world that is experienced, perceived, thought about, etc. Consciousness is synymous with the world.

(3) As consciousness is all, everything, the world, etc., there is nothing outside of consciousness with which in could be compared. As comparision is the essence of definition or knowledge (nothing can be understood per se), it follows that consciousness cannot be known.

(4) That said, aspects of consciousness, certain parts of its, can be understood. Consider the metaphor of a circle. Forget that there is anything outside the circle; imagine that the circle is everything. How can you define it? It is not possible unless you divide the circle itself into parts, in terms of which in can be defined. For example; the circle is 6 wedges, or an infiite number of rays, etc.

So, it is possible to replicate consciousness, but not to understand 'what' it is. There is a difference between the two. Science cannot reconcile the cartesian duality inherent in assuming that a qualitive thing (experience, life) arises from a quantitive thing (the brain). This is because that quantitive explanation is really an idea, existing in the mind of the scientist. So we see that reconciling the apparent duality by saying everything is quantiative ultimately does not work. The oppposite is my explanation, that everything (at least everything that we can ever know anything about) is qualitative, including the ideas of physics, math, etc., which exist in the mind.

Helpful?
xris

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 03:16 pm
@BrightNoon,
When a computer can paint a picture that can lift my soul or write music that can make me cry Ill agree..
0 Replies

Hermes

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 06:27 pm
@BrightNoon,
Thanks for that Brightmoon, I think I get you now, sorry for not getting there sooner.. Smile

The first two points I totally agree with...

BrightNoon;33023 wrote:

(1) When one speaks of the 'the world' one is speaking about the world of which one is aware; obviously, one could not think about something that one does not know about. The world known by an individual consists only of things of which one is aware.

(2) Consciousness, as I use the word, means, everything of which one is aware, the world that is experienced, perceived, thought about, etc. Consciousness is synymous with the world.

This seems to be a good start to the definition. But I cannot agree with the next step...

Quote:

(3) As consciousness is all, everything, the world, etc., there is nothing outside of consciousness with which in could be compared. As comparision is the essence of definition or knowledge (nothing can be understood per se), it follows that consciousness cannot be known.

I gave the example of a two species planet before, but that was just a trite example; we don't need another species, we have billions of others of our own species to compare ourselves with. Not only that, but the brain in fact can compare itself with itself; or rather through the function of itself the Entity of itself can be known.

This "comparison" I would agree to be essential, I believe it corresponds to the function of the "They" that Heidegger talked of and that I include within the model.

I think what is missing from your model is the notion that there is always information on the outside that has the possibility of being brought within the horizon of consciousness (I am thinking of the Interpretive theory of Gadamer here). Thus, as I said before, knowledge of science that was not available to our ancestors has become known to us today. Similarly, knowledge of consciousness itself initially lies outside the mind, but is brought within through Interpretation of itself from the They (other sentient beings).

Quote:

(4) That said, aspects of consciousness, certain parts of its, can be understood. Consider the metaphor of a circle. Forget that there is anything outside the circle; imagine that the circle is everything. How can you define it? It is not possible unless you divide the circle itself into parts, in terms of which in can be defined. For example; the circle is 6 wedges, or an infiite number of rays, etc.

And I disagree with this point too. Before I quoted Heidegger on this matter, I want to quote again a bit more fully (this is going to be a bit long!)...

Heidegger wrote:
Is there not, however, a manifest circularity in such an undertaking? If we must first define an entity in its Being, and if we want to formulate the question of Being only on this basis, what is this but going in a circle? In working out our question have we not 'presupposed' something which only the answer can bring? Formal objections such as the argument about 'circular reasoning', which can easily be cited at any time in the study of first principles, are always sterile when one is considering concrete ways of investigting. When it comes to understanding the matter at hand, they carry no weight and keep us from penetrating the field of study.

But factically there is no circle at all in formulating our question as we have described. One can determine the nature of entities in their Being without necessarily having the explicit concept of the meaning of Being at one's disposal. Otherwise there could have been no ontological knowledge heretofore. One would hardly deny factically there has been such knowledge. Of course 'Being' has been presupposed in all ontology up till now, but not as a concept at one's disposal - not as the sort of thing we are seeking. This 'presupposing' of Being has rather the character of taking a look at it beforehand, so that in the light of it the entities presented to us get provisionally Articulated in their Being. This guiding activity of taking a look at Being arises from the average understanding of Being in which we always operate and which in the end belongs to the essential constitution of Dasein itself. Such 'presupposing' has nothing to do with laying down an axiom from which a series of propositions is deductively derived. It is quite impossible for there to be any 'circular argument' in formulating the question about the meaning of Being; for in answering this question, the issue is not one of grounding something by such a derivation; it is rather one of laying bare the grounds for it and exhibiting them.

In the question of the meaning of Being there is no 'circular reasoning' but rather a remarkable 'relatedness backward or forward' which what we are asking about (Being) bears to the inquiry itself as a mode of Being of an entity.

Being and Time, H.7,8
My highlights

Please read the second paragraph a couple of times. What Heidegger is saying is that in everyday life and conversation, we inherently have an understanding of Being and we use this in conversation and thought. We say, "She is...", "It was..." etc. He calls this an "average" understanding; it is average because we use it but do not explicitly understand the nature of the Being, its ontology.

So, if we should seek to understand the nature of Being, the argument can be raised, just as you said Brightmoon, that to define Being starting from a presupposition of its 'being' is circular, and therefore erroneous. Heidegger argues, in the second paragraph, that since we use the concept of Being, in an average sense, for everything we do anyway, there is no way to "presuppose" - it is always there, always has been and always will; thus we are not deducing anything, merely uncovering what is and always has been there.

Also, in relation to your point 3 and Gadamer's Interpretive theory, at the start of paragraph two here, Heidegger argues that the average concept of Being is intrinsic in everything we have come to know (physics, biology etc.) - so there is no way to deny that it can be used in understanding concepts that were previously beyond the horizons of our ken.

Brightmoon wrote:

So, it is possible to replicate consciousness, but not to understand 'what' it is. There is a difference between the two. Science cannot reconcile the cartesian duality inherent in assuming that a qualitive thing (experience, life) arises from a quantitive thing (the brain). This is because that quantitive explanation is really an idea, existing in the mind of the scientist. So we see that reconciling the apparent duality by saying everything is quantiative ultimately does not work. The oppposite is my explanation, that everything (at least everything that we can ever know anything about) is qualitative, including the ideas of physics, math, etc., which exist in the mind.

Helpful?

You introduce the notion of a Cartesian duality; I'm afraid this is totally outdated IMO. Descartes' notion is utterly mystical, there is nothing within evolution to suggest that there should be any divide of any nature between the "mind" and the "body" (except the blood-brain barrier perhaps Smile ) - the mind is directly linked to the brain - it is the brain; scientific fact.
BrightNoon

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 10:32 pm
@Hermes,
[quote=Hermes] I gave the example of a two species planet before, but that was just a trite example; we don't need another species, we have billions of others of our own species to compare ourselves with. Not only that, but the brain in fact can compare itself with itself; or rather through the function of itself the Entity of itself can be known. [/quote]

'The brain' cannot compare anything to anything; 'the brain' has no conscious activity. 'The brain' is an idea which we have formulated in consciousness. Consciousness can understand the brain, via an act of comparison with other parts of consciousness, but consciousness cannot understand itself, because there is nothing to which it can be compared. As we have agreed I believe, consciousness is the world, and the world is everything.

[quote] I think what is missing from your model is the notion that there is always information on the outside that has the possibility of being brought within

That appears to be the case, of course. But we are trying to create an absolute definition aren't we? The fact that there is information in consciousness is certain. That there is information outside that may enter is pure speculation. No one ever has, nor ever can, be aware of any information that lies outside of consciousness, so what reason is there for assuming the existence of such information? My view is that there probably is an external world (I cannot know for sure), but that this world has no shape, has no order, has no names. It is not that we cannot escape our minds to discover its nature; it has no specific nature. The world as we understand it, in the broadest sense, exists only for us. To speak of electrochemical gradients and nerve fibers as the basis for consciousness, is to describe consciousness in terms of something that exists only in consciousness.

[quote] You introduce the notion of a Cartesian duality; I'm afraid this is totally outdated IMO. Descartes' notion is utterly mystical, there is nothing within evolution to suggest that there should be any divide of any nature between the "mind" and the "body" (except the blood-brain barrier perhaps ) - the mind is directly linked to the brain - it is the brain; scientific fact.[/quote]

Cartesian duality is wrong in my opinion as well, but there are many possible solutions. Science has recently attempted to solve the problem by explaining everything in terms of physical reality. What has not been recognized is that the explanation, and the understanding of physical reality upon which it is based, exist only in consciousness. The physical explanation of the world arises from consciousness, of which it is a part. Science would like to find an 'objective' perch outside of consciousness from which it could understand it, but it does not and cannot do that.

Consciousness (i.e. experience, life from the 1st person) is not composed of molecules, nerve fibers, electromagnetism, or other quantities. Consciousness consists of qualities. Science knows that a brain generates consciousness by empirical observation of a sort, but it cannot explain how a quantitative system produces a qualitative experience. This is evidence of its essential contradiction. If, on the other hand, consciousness is understood as the entire world of which we are aware, with ideas included, it is possible to explain everything coherently; the idea that is our understanding of the brain is a part of consciousness, like any other idea.

(the idea "I should go to the doctor", or "my favorite color is red," are made of the same stuff, so to speak, as 'the idea of the brain'.)
xris

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 04:35 am
@BrightNoon,
Im always amazed at the confidence of believers..believers in science and god...There never appears to be an open question on what could be...
0 Replies

Hermes

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 08:21 am
@BrightNoon,
OK I have researched, in my free time at work today, a counter argument to Brightnoon's position. I appreciate that you may not agree with it, and I know that it is not water-tight as I shall point out, but it might go some way to changing your mind!

Now the argument is taken from Being and Time, because Heidegger addressed this very issue in relation to Kant's philosophy. I have never read anything by Kant, so I am not seeking to represent my own interpretation of his work, merely reproduce what Heidegger says.

-----------------

Heidegger begins by introducing Kant's POV:

Heidegger, Being & Time, H.203 wrote:
Kant calls it 'a scandal of philosophy and of human reason in general' that there is still no cogent proof for the 'Dasein of Things outside us' which will do away with any scepticism.

This is similar to stance that you have taken Brightnoon, in that you deny the ability to define consciousness in terms of the 'external' world, though Kant saw this problem and attempted to circumvent it. The key notion here being that Kant makes an assumption between the 'in me' and the 'outside of me', and, importantly, a tacit connection between these two realms of being [Heidegger says].

The problem with this, according to H., is that Kant's conception of Dasein (we can simply think of this as the Being of ourselves) is incorrect since it does not incorporate the notion of "Being-in-the-world". For H., Being-in-the-world is an intrinsic and vital property of Dasein, and totally at odds with Kant's view of the 'in me'/connection/'outside of me'.

• Dasein is intrinsically Being-in-the-world; there is no 'inside' or 'outside', every entity within Dasein is a part of it, and Dasein is itself an entity that comes into Being within that world.

• So, the presuppositions in Kant's argument are a false representation of Dasein. Therefore to seek a proof of "the being of things outside us" has no meaning regarding the nature of Dasein and is simply the wrong question to be asking.

H. concludes to some extent with this....

Heidegger, H.206 wrote:
To have faith in the Reality of the 'external world', whether rightly or wrongly; to "prove" this Reality for it, whether adequately or inadequately; to presuppose it, whether explicitly or not - attempts such as these which have not mastered their own basis with full transparency, presuppose a subject which is proximally worldless or unsure of its world, and which must, at bottom, first assure itself of a world.

And strongly criticises....

Heidegger, H.205 wrote:
The "scandal of philosophy" is not that this proof has yet to be given, but that such profs are expected and attempted again and again.

For H., Kant - and I suspect many others - did not clearly found the reason for supposing the 'inside' and 'outside' nor the connection; since this concept is made redundant by the Being-in-the-world of Dasein, so is the need to prove the Being of an 'external world' that does not exist.

Weaknesses.
  • This whole argument relies on one accepting Heidegger's conception of Dasein and Being-in-the-world. He spends many, many words building and describing before and after this argument, so I would suggest one reads the book to make up one's mind.

• He doesn't deny the problem of explaining "Reality" - but stresses that it is ontological in nature (since epistemology has merely presented poor & incorrect attempts at rationalisation).

----------------

So... what do you think?

I happen to agree with everything Heidegger says, which I can only inarticulately sum up as there was never any problem in the first place. However I think that Heidegger makes a nice, simple point here; if you think that reality needs proof, then your model of Dasein needs reworking.

BrightNoon;33103 wrote:

Consciousness consists of qualities. Science knows that a brain generates consciousness by empirical observation of a sort, but it cannot explain how a quantitative system produces a qualitative experience. This is evidence of its essential contradiction.

I disagree with this strongly, what is wrong with the model I put forward as an algorithmic model of qualitataive experience (in terms of *computational logic*)?

Quote:
If, on the other hand, consciousness is understood as the entire world of which we are aware, with ideas included, it is possible to explain everything coherently; the idea that is our understanding of the brain is a part of consciousness, like any other idea.

This would accord with what Heidegger argued, would it not?
BrightNoon

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 03:31 pm
@Hermes,
Quote:
I disagree with this strongly, what is wrong with the model I put forward as an algorithmic model of qualitataive experience (in terms of *computational logic*)?

I'm afraid you'll have to explain this to me. We may just be talking around one another. You have your model, which I haven't even tried to criticize because, frankly I don't fully understand it, and I have mine, which you have attempted to criticize by offering yours in its place and then asking, "what's wrong with mine?" You see our dilemma?

Here is the contentious issue as I understand it. I hold that science is incomplete as a unified theory of the world, which is inclusive of both objective and subjective reality, because it attempts to derive both from the former: i.e. with materiality as the basis of all. This problem is evident in the insurmountable obstacle that science faces in trying to explain how a quantitative phenomenon (the brain) can give rise to qualitative phenomena (experience, life as lived). The first principles of science are that everything has cause and is an effect. It is not possible to explain, within that domain of thought, how tangible objects can cause intangible sensations.

In place of that idea, I propose the opposite; that everything arises from consciousness: i.e. from the subjective. I hold that the 'objective world' is in fact an idea-system, like any other within consciousness, by which we organize the world for our own biological ends. I don't deny the existance of a real external world (one that exists independently of our awareness of it), but neither can I affirm it; there is simply no proof either way, nor could there ever be.

Quote:
This would accord with what Heidegger argued, would it not?

I hope to be in agreement with so great a name. However, if you mean that I should then adopt his whole view, which apparently contradicts my own, you will have to explain how that view follows from the point I made, which is essentially that the world consists of consciousness.
Hermes

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 01:09 pm
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon;33525 wrote:
We may just be talking around one another. You have your model, which I haven't even tried to criticize because, frankly I don't fully understand it, and I have mine, which you have attempted to criticize by offering yours in its place and then asking, "what's wrong with mine?" You see our dilemma?

Hehe I see what you mean... Smile

Quote:

Here is the contentious issue as I understand it. I hold that science is incomplete as a unified theory of the world, which is inclusive of both objective and subjective reality, because it attempts to derive both from the former: i.e. with materiality as the basis of all.

I think this is a slight misrepresentation of science, since I don't think science seeks to describe subjective reality, but rather indirectly explain subjectivity through emergent behaviour of an objective reality it does seek to explain.

Quote:

This problem is evident in the insurmountable obstacle that science faces in trying to explain how a quantitative phenomenon (the brain) can give rise to qualitative phenomena (experience, life as lived). The first principles of science are that everything has cause and is an effect. It is not possible to explain, within that domain of thought, how tangible objects can cause intangible sensations.

I think your point here rests on the meaning of "tangible" and "intangible" - I think I see what you mean - that the perceptions of another person are "intangible" to an observer. This is agree with in principle; we cannot literally place ourselves in another's shoes, or, as I would say philosophically, the Being-in-the-World for each Dasein is distinct because each Interprets a different set of Entities and in a different manner.

But, if we could map individual neuronal connections and reproduce an individuals functional brain execution, then we could point to this and say, "this is what is happening to Mr X and this is what he is experiencing." In the same way we cannot place a camera on a photon and "experience" what it "experiences", we cannot do the same for people (yet). But, just as with the photon, we can define a model for its behaviour and identify, as a divorced observer, what it is experiencing. I think because the mind is nominally "conscious" people have attributed this totally undefined notion of "phenomenal experience" to it - when in fact science can treat it as an Entity like any other; study it and understand it so.

Quote:

In place of that idea, I propose the opposite; that everything arises from consciousness: i.e. from the subjective. I hold that the 'objective world' is in fact an idea-system, like any other within consciousness, by which we organize the world for our own biological ends. I don't deny the existance of a real external world (one that exists independently of our awareness of it), but neither can I affirm it; there is simply no proof either way, nor could there ever be.

This seems to be a bit of a reactive argument. It reminds me of Plato's three worlds as Penrose describes it (many times) in his books... is this what you have in mind? You also seem to draw a very fine line here Brightmoon; everything arises from the subjective consciousness but is in fact a real external world. Which is primordial?

I don't see the need to abandon the scientific foundation of cause and effect; but more importantly this kind of (metaphysical-)ontology is not applicable to consciousness as I see it. Natural selection is the principle from which we can start, to go back to more fundamental science is to invite ambiguity into the argument. We know that consciousness is a product of natural selection operating on chemical compounds in a largely classical physical system - cause and effect clearly dominates this level of the physical systems, we have no need to even consider the nature of the "worlds"/reality.

Quote:

I hope to be in agreement with so great a name. However, if you mean that I should then adopt his whole view, which apparently contradicts my own, you will have to explain how that view follows from the point I made, which is essentially that the world consists of consciousness.

The individual Dasein exists within a World (is Being-in-the-World) of its own creation. This is what Heidegger says, and is what I think you were saying. The World of Dasein is the Being of Entities; these Entities are representations of what is encountered within the physical-world.

The difference with what you have said would be...
Nothing "arises" from consciousness; the physical reality within which Dasein exists is totally independent in origin and primordial to Dasein (though of course it produces the machine, our brains, in which Dasein is executed).
Dasein requires this physical-world in order to create its own Being-in-the-World for the Entities within itself.

Thus Dasein experiences Entities and experiences Being-in-the-World as if this were arisen from its own consciousness, but in fact this is utterly impossible without its being within a World in the first place: Being-in-the-World is a precondition of the Being of Dasein.
Hermes

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 07:59 am
@Hermes,
Update time!

I've had a lot of decent replies from this forum, and now I come with my cap tipped seeking more pennies for my motivation :bigsmile:

I have been, off and on for the last couple of months, rewriting all my site, which seeks to explain how the mind works.

Site is here...

Summary:
Based upon Heidegger's ontology of Being, the brain is an instance of Dasein. First, it senses the World and generates its own ontology, the Being-in-the-World of Entities, through the function of Interpretation. It then Anticipates these Entities, creating a Potentiality-for-Being, which serve as the basis for Action.

There are many more emergent functions that this produces, the sum total of which account for all that constitutes a conscious mind.

I haven't finished my rewrite, but most importantly, this time I have included an explanation of how Interpretation may function computationally (for the pragmatists who want to make a machine, that is Smile ).

It shall probably be another couple of months before I finish everything, so in the meantime, I would very much appreciate any comments and feedback!

Thanks Smile
Hermes

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 08:43 pm
@Hermes,
A bump and a question in one...

I reached the stage in my model (the subject of this thread, kinda) where I had to produce a computational definition for "phenomenal perception", the experience whereby we are able to observe ourselves, "see" ourselves doing things like thinking, working etc.

The page where I detail this function as best as I can is here.

------------------------------------------

The gist is this:

1) The young mind (I call it "Dasein" after the German tradition) creates a Subject Entity of the Self - like the ego - within itself.

This sets up a Subject-Object relationship, where the Subject is the observer and the Object is the observed, but at this stage there is no phenomenal perception.

2) A more mature mind recognises the minds of other people, and is able to submit the Entity of Self as an Object to those minds as Subjects (ie. you can see yourself as others see you).

This creates perception, because now the Entity of Self has both a Subject and an Object component, so when it observes something as a Subject it is also made aware of what it is doing as an Object. The combination of Subject and Object of the Self, this duality, produces the phenomenon of perception.

------------------------------------

Now I know this might sound a little "airy", but there is a lot more justification of the underlying principles on the site. I would like to test this idea, so my question here is simply, what do you think of the subject-object definition of perception?
Kielicious

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 03:43 pm
@Hermes,
Hermes wrote:
This creates perception, because now the Entity of Self has both a Subject and an Object component, so when it observes something as a Subject it is also made aware of what it is doing as an Object. The combination of Subject and Object of the Self, this duality, produces the phenomenon of perception.

Just to clarify you are saying:

Perception itself arises from a daul nature between the Subject and Object of the self.

So in essence the ego, or Self, exists well in advance before perception itself exists?
Hermes

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 05:47 pm
@Kielicious,
Kielicious;63904 wrote:
Just to clarify you are saying:

Perception itself arises from a daul nature between the Subject and Object of the self.

So in essence the ego, or Self, exists well in advance before perception itself exists?

Hmmm, yes. I think that this is circumstantially evident in children - a friend's 2 year old son seems to have a reasonable ego (manifest as the ability to direct himself to perform certain actions) but I wouldn't say he has developed a phenomenal perception close to that adults have.
0 Replies