A theory of consciousness

xris

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 04:36 pm
@Hermes,
Just one thing about dreaming effecting our conscious thoughts if this relevant...dreaming i have been told is our subconscious advising our conscious mind... Is dreaming an act of consciousness and does our subconscious really exist...
Hermes

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 04:57 pm
@xris,
xris;30820 wrote:
Just one thing about dreaming effecting our conscious thoughts if this relevant...dreaming i have been told is our subconscious advising our conscious mind... Is dreaming an act of consciousness and does our subconscious really exist...

OK good question... As the model I described would have it (so as I think!) consciousness - the awareness of the self and that one is thinking - is an emergent property associated mostly with the action of the frontal cortex (I think this is a pretty standard view of things so far).

For thought to be "subconscious" then, it simply has to be thought that is not recognised or not within one's attention at that moment. The capacity for our brains to hold events within their grasp of awareness is limited; one cannot read a book and listen to music and walk and be fully aware of all these things (I do this a lot, but I am certainly not paying equal attention to all activities).

So, when we dream, just as when we multi-task, to be sure our brains are Interpreting away like they do when we are "paying attention", but without bringing those Interpretations before oneself through Derivative Interpretation (in the frontal cortex) then our awareness is, as Heidegger would say, only "average".

In dreaming there is nothing special or mystical happening. I defer to greater study on the issue of whether it helps us remember things/instructs our consciousness. But in logic, the continued sub-conscious action of the cortex will serve to reinforce Interpretive patterns and so would have that effect I imagine. And yes, I do think the "subconscious" exists, though I think it is not so exciting nor revealing as many would hope or believe.
0 Replies

Sir Neuron

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 12:05 am
@Hermes,
I think sub-conscious is the conscious not conscious of.
xris

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 04:48 am
@Sir Neuron,
Sir Neuron wrote:
I think sub-conscious is the conscious not conscious of.
If it is working without consciousness being aware why is that not amazing? I find it intriguing that certain things are being diagnosed without my being aware...
Hermes

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 07:50 am
@xris,
xris;30878 wrote:
If it is working without consciousness being aware why is that not amazing?

Because that is what animals of higher order intellect in the absence of self-awareness are doing all the time. I don't think it is "amazing", not compared to the standard set by conscious thought. But of course this is a value judgement and each to his or her own.

Quote:
I find it intriguing that certain things are being diagnosed without my being aware...

It is intriguing, because it is not immediately apparent, and, as psychology shows us, it can tell us about our conscious behaviour. But it is no more than this; that something is intriguing merely indicates the unknown or unexpected quality of its machinations.
xris

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 08:05 am
@Hermes,
Hermes wrote:
Because that is what animals of higher order intellect in the absence of self-awareness are doing all the time. I don't think it is "amazing", not compared to the standard set by conscious thought. But of course this is a value judgement and each to his or her own.

It is intriguing, because it is not immediately apparent, and, as psychology shows us, it can tell us about our conscious behaviour. But it is no more than this; that something is intriguing merely indicates the unknown or unexpected quality of its machinations.
When we cant define consciousness in a valid manner that answers all our questions then inventing other dimensions to even try to understand what it could be we must take more notice of our dreams to try to understand our US....the subconscious appears to be almost like the reptilian brain a function we dont have to have direct control over..it appears to me the dreams are our conscious minds watching like objective observers our subconscious mind working...We have no control but merely learn the consequences that our sunconscious mind show us..Freedom to explore all avenues of actions without the consequences..
Hermes

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 08:49 am
@xris,
xris;30884 wrote:
When we cant define consciousness in a valid manner that answers all our questions then inventing other dimensions to even try to understand what it could be we must take more notice of our dreams to try to understand our US....

Who invented other dimensions?

We could start learning from the subconscious, but psychologists/psychiatrists started that 150 years ago; haven't found the answer that way yet.

You seem to be taking things off track here Xris; in the model I proposed I do give a definition of consciousness - what do you think about that?

Quote:

the subconscious appears to be almost like the reptilian brain a function we dont have to have direct control over..it appears to me the dreams are our conscious minds watching like objective observers our subconscious mind working...We have no control but merely learn the consequences that our sunconscious mind show us..Freedom to explore all avenues of actions without the consequences..

Apart from the reptilian part I mostly agree here... but I think you are placing too much emphasis on the subconscious. You need to go back to the first principles of natural selection; what pressures act on the phenotype? When sleeping - very few. Dreaming certainly has a function, but it is most definitely secondary to everything that a waking mind does. Sleeping, to be sure, accounts for a large portion of any "higher" animal's life, but its primary function is to conserve energy; this was its origin.

I recommend also looking into the philosophy of hermeneutics. Interpretations invariably tell us more about the interpreter than they do the subject matter. That humans attribute significance to dreams is simply mysticism; the ability [edit - I should say "desire"] to see patterns where there are none.
xris

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 09:08 am
@Hermes,
Deep sleep is the resting..dream sleep is not a requirement for bodily rest..I will reread your theory on consciousness..
xris

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 09:59 am
@xris,
Ive tried but not being an educated philosopher the terminology holds me back and also my inability to deny a souls existance...Im an infected observer that sees the soul as the controlling influence on our subjective world..I can imagine the neurons the brain with its functions but as we cant actualy see the threads of information that ties our consciousness together i put another dimension to the display..You draw pictures that link the sequence of events but they never seems to actual show the consciousness as i could imagine...dont mind me i need a reality check..
xris

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 02:25 pm
@xris,
I hope i have not killed this thread it was extremely interesting..
Hermes

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 05:28 pm
@xris,
xris;31205 wrote:

Heh all's good - I didn't reply straight away 'cos I wanted to think about my answer. But still I don't have a good reply...

xris;30902 wrote:
Ive tried but not being an educated philosopher the terminology holds me back and also my inability to deny a souls existance...Im an infected observer that sees the soul as the controlling influence on our subjective world..I can imagine the neurons the brain with its functions but as we cant actualy see the threads of information that ties our consciousness together i put another dimension to the display..You draw pictures that link the sequence of events but they never seems to actual show the consciousness as i could imagine...dont mind me i need a reality check..

What you describe here is a valid complaint (don't be so self-depreciative!) that is the main problem I have been experiencing... most people don't seem to be able to follow what I have written Surprised

I have been trying to think of ways in which to simplify, or restate what I wrote in analogy, to make it mentally easier to digest, but I fear that in simplification the logic gets lost. Since many words are used in an unfamiliar context (like Interpretation, Entity, Anticipation etc.) then if things become more basic they become more confusing if one does not fully understand the meaning of these words.... ach.

Xris, you say you believe in a soul and that this is some barrier for you to understanding the model. I suspect that many more people share your belief, though perhaps they do not always say so, so I would like to understand your position further.

What is the nature of this soul you believe in?
(Ie. where is it? does it survive the body after death? etc..)

From the religious angle, I am fond of this quote of Galileo's:
Quote:
But I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with senses, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them.

So even if one is religious, it is by no means prescriptive for what one can know scientifically. In Galileo's case and others, their science does not unseat or even disrupt religion, in fact is does nothing but celebrate the universe that God gifted us in our creation.

What it does do is assault the power of institution; the church is founded on the interpretations of the holy word - men, not God, invented the old cosmology of Earth-centricity - men, not God, invented the notion of a soul...

Genesis 2:7 wrote:
Hashem [God] formed man from the dust of the earth. He blew into his nostrils the breath of life, and man became a living being.

And from wikipedia...

Quote:
The Torah offers no systematic definition of a soul; various descriptions of the soul exist in classical rabbinic literature.

Organised religion, NOT the faith or religion itself, is under threat from the progress of science, and if it feels threatened it is a very human and unrighteous fear. Aung san suu kyi famously said...

Quote:
It is not power that corrupts but fear. Fear of losing power corrupts those who wield it and fear of the scourge of power corrupts those who are subject to it.

So I would urge anyone with a faith, religious views of any kind, to remain receptive to science and to guard against the doctrine of men in power that is not of the authority or will of the God(s) they praise.
Khethil

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 07:36 am
@xris,
xris wrote:

Ok well, from this plea from the darkness I went back, read the entire model and all the replies (yes, my eyes feel strained). I don't know that I have much to substantively add here, but would like to make some comments for consideration, if such are welcome:[INDENT]On the model: I didn't get the sense that the model was ever indented to explain all concepts for all aspects on all dynamics for the entire 'package' we call the human mind. I found it logical, coherent and relatively well-supported. As a model, I'm also not completely sure that it's a valid criticism that it doesn't have such aspects as perceptional-relativity or action/reaction as center stage. I can't know it's correct, but given what I can reasonably-think I know as well as any basis of rational thought, I think it's plausible and even quite likely.
[/INDENT][INDENT]On the responses: I really get a kick of the axes we grind. Enter each actor, all in turn, to pull out their particular axe-to-grind and hack away at whatever's being discussed. Hermes: We do this a lot for whatever 'itch' each of us wants to constantly scratch. This isn't any real direct criticism on what you've presented, only a reflection of how we look for how our interests might or might not be represented in the thoughts of others.
[/INDENT]Nice model, I wouldn't mind seeing more fleshed out on the dynamics between the various systems as well as more details on each constituent part of the information cycle.

Good stuff. I'd say keep at it - it's a productive and important theory.

Thanks
xris

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 07:54 am
@Hermes,
I use the word believe with caution..i dont believe in a benevolent god nor do i hope of ever finding one but i do by personal experience have the problem of going against my logic in believing a soul is just possible...I am not an educated man and it is only my experiences that have driven me to look for answers...Debating by the written word is dificult for me and on occassions my lack of education hinders me..The trouble is when you are on a mission it is difficult to keep a clear head and not reject others opinions...The soul as far as i can by logic describe it as ethereal with only the life force of man to tie it to the body...it has the effect of advising the body of its purpose but does not control the ultimate decission the body makes...thats lifes experience and it must experience and learn that its purpose....the subconscious and the conscious in my opinion can be very similar to the relationship i see between the body and soul or the mind and brain....earthly and ethereal ..I will try again to understand your concept i promise..
0 Replies

xris

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 07:59 am
@Khethil,
Khethil wrote:
Ok well, from this plea from the darkness I went back, read the entire model and all the replies (yes, my eyes feel strained). I don't know that I have much to substantively add here, but would like to make some comments for consideration, if such are welcome:
[INDENT]On the model: I didn't get the sense that the model was ever indented to explain all concepts for all aspects on all dynamics for the entire 'package' we call the human mind. I found it logical, coherent and relatively well-supported. As a model, I'm also not completely sure that it's a valid criticism that it doesn't have such aspects as perceptional-relativity or action/reaction as center stage. I can't know it's correct, but given what I can reasonably-think I know as well as any basis of rational thought, I think it's plausible and even quite likely.
[/INDENT][INDENT]On the responses: I really get a kick of the axes we grind. Enter each actor, all in turn, to pull out their particular axe-to-grind and hack away at whatever's being discussed. Hermes: We do this a lot for whatever 'itch' each of us wants to constantly scratch. This isn't any real direct criticism on what you've presented, only a reflection of how we look for how our interests might or might not be represented in the thoughts of others.
[/INDENT]Nice model, I wouldn't mind seeing more fleshed out on the dynamics between the various systems as well as more details on each constituent part of the information cycle.

Thanks
Yes im guilty as charged..self driven interests as usual i will try to kurb them and be more objective..
0 Replies

Hermes

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 09:40 am
@Khethil,
xris;31304 wrote:
Yes im guilty as charged..self driven interests as usual i will try to kurb them and be more objective..

Don't worry there Xris, we all do this and you provided a good discussion so its all good.

xris;31303 wrote:
I use the word believe with caution..i dont believe in a benevolent god nor do i hope of ever finding one but i do by personal experience have the problem of going against my logic in believing a soul is just possible...I am not an educated man and it is only my experiences that have driven me to look for answers...Debating by the written word is dificult for me and on occassions my lack of education hinders me..The trouble is when you are on a mission it is difficult to keep a clear head and not reject others opinions...The soul as far as i can by logic describe it as ethereal with only the life force of man to tie it to the body...it has the effect of advising the body of its purpose but does not control the ultimate decission the body makes...thats lifes experience and it must experience and learn that its purpose....the subconscious and the conscious in my opinion can be very similar to the relationship i see between the body and soul or the mind and brain....earthly and ethereal ..I will try again to understand your concept i promise..

You expressed yourself well here, I like the idea of the soul "advising the body of its purpose" but not in control of the body's decisions. :a-ok:
I remember when I was younger I was mystified by the huge demonstration of memory that humans exhibit - how do we remember thousands of hours of music and film and book and spoken word and on top of our experienced memories and general knowledge of the world? I used to believe that our memory was rather like the soul you describe; part of an ethereal realm of unchanging, eternal truth that our brains somehow accessed.

Needless to say, I have since let go of such ideas. I was watching some video interviews with Feynman on youtube today, and he expressed what I believe quite well, and it is an old notion (aristotle? plato? I forget).... the simple man is fascinated by obvious beauty, the heavens the gods, natural disasters, whereas the wise man finds interest in the smallest triviality of nature. And Feynman says rightly (IMO) that modern science has revealed a universe far more amazing and wonderful than any of the old stories that our ancestors wrote down to explain the same things thousands of years ago.
YouTube - Feynman: Take the world from another point of view (1/4)

(ooh great how it puts the video there - I recommend watching all 4)

A soul is an intriguing concept, and your conception of it seems well thought out and logical, if I were religious then I would quite probably believe something similar. But I think you might find that were there no such thing as souls but a simple and reproducible computational process that could account for consciousness; then the origin of this process, evolution, and our application of the process, sentient machines, could quite well prove the match for a soul in terms of fascination, logic and practical-immortality.

Khethil;31300 wrote:
Ok well, from this plea from the darkness I went back, read the entire model and all the replies (yes, my eyes feel strained). I don't know that I have much to substantively add here, but would like to make some comments for consideration, if such are welcome:[INDENT]On the model: I didn't get the sense that the model was ever indented to explain all concepts for all aspects on all dynamics for the entire 'package' we call the human mind. I found it logical, coherent and relatively well-supported. As a model, I'm also not completely sure that it's a valid criticism that it doesn't have such aspects as perceptional-relativity or action/reaction as center stage. I can't know it's correct, but given what I can reasonably-think I know as well as any basis of rational thought, I think it's plausible and even quite likely.

Thanks

Khethil, I would like to start with thanks for providing me with the first feedback related to the model in the few months the site has been up! :a-ok:

I am truly appreciative of anyone who has taken the time to read it, and doubly so when they express themselves as clearly as you do. I am now in the process of reviewing the whole thing as part of a "second pass"; your comments shall certainly be borne in mind. There was this sentence...

"As a model, I'm also not completely sure that it's a valid criticism that it doesn't have such aspects as perceptional-relativity or action/reaction as center stage. I can't know it's correct, but given what I can reasonably-think I know as well as any basis of rational thought, I think it's plausible and even quite likely. "

.. that I didn't quite understand. Are you saying that the model is missing perceptional-relativity and action/reacting? Or that these should be more central to the argument? Or that you don't think these are necessary? Sorry, I played this sentence through my head a few times and I managed to interpret it in different ways each time!

Thanks again :bigsmile:
xris

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 10:07 am
@Hermes,
I watched the video thanks for sharing it with me...before i move on i must say that lifes experiences are not always welcome and they do at times cause confusion..if i was to say for instance you dont believe in flying saucers, absolute nonsense...then one day a damned flying saucer hovers over your back yard and you can see this funny looking guy waving at you...do you go to the doctors and ask for help...evaluate your experience...ignore it...now what if it reoccured after your doctor told you that there was nothing wrong with you and you had tried ignoring it...what would you do? This is not my experience by the way..
0 Replies

BrightNoon

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 11:50 am
@Hermes,
I'm quite late in this response, forgot all about this thread. Anyway, this is from page 2.

Hermes wrote:
BrightNoon -

So.. we can explain our existence but NOT understand it? If I can explain how a piece of paper is made, does that mean I do not understand it?
Explaining the function of something, how it is made and how it interacts with the World (Being-in-the-World in a physical sense) is understanding a thing. That's all there is.

When you talk of "understanding", I think you mean private, individual knowledge of a thing (ie. the piece of paper as a means for writing on) - and this is rarely equivalent to the complete scientific knowledge of that thing.

OK I may be missing your point here, but you are aware of your senses, no? To say that consciousness has "nothing outside of itself" seems like a total falsehood. "Being-in-the-World" as Heidegger puts it is an intrinsic part of Dasein being able ot become conscious.
You make a totally arbitrary distinction between the "idea"/"process" of consciousness (which you claim science can know) and the "experience" of consciousness (which you say science cannot). The experience is a product of the process, and so has exactly the same requirements

1. Consciousness, as experienced, does not consist of things, such as neurons; it consists of experiences. To offer an explanantion of consciousness, a definition of consciousness, which is based on biological structures such as neurons does not deal with the problem. You have not defined consciousness, you have defined a certain part of the world in terms of a certain perspective, the empiric, which is within consciousness. The first part that I underlined demonstrates this problem; science does not dela in qualia; science cannot explain experience per se because science is within experience.

2. All ideas of an external world reside in an individual's consciousness. That world, as defined by that ideological system, does not exist outside the individual. There does appear to be a real external world, but it cannot be known; i.e., by defintion it is that which lies outside of consciousness. The idea of consciousness, any of numerous ideas, can be understood, can be thought; actual consciousness, that in which ideas occur, cannot be known, but can be experienced. Knowledge requires comparison; there is nothing to compare to consciousness, nothing by which it might be described, because everything of which a person is ever aware llies within consciousness. Imagine if you lived in a box and never left your box. How could you determine the nature of the box in relation to that which is beyond the box?
Sir Neuron

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 10:56 am
@BrightNoon,
How could consciousness be defined if it is not known what it is? Of course, Any idea could be defined whether true or false, but the definition should be common and not varied. Then each component of the idea could be discussed, defined and have their components analysed as well. Consciousness could be what ever we want it to be, but what is most important is the function of what it is defined to be.
BrightNoon

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 04:55 pm
@Sir Neuron,
My point is simple. As I use the word, 'consciousness' is the conditio sine qua non of everything. Imagine that there is a hierarchy of concepts, which fit into and are based on one another, like the russian egg game. Consciousness is the largest egg, the foundation of all foundations. As such, it cannot be defined except in terms of its parts. Asking 'what is consciousness' is like asking 'what is the universe;' we should have to step outside that thing to understand its nature. We cannot do that. Of course, that is just how I define, or don't define, consciousness. If you're a freudian, there is another meaning altogether.
xris

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 04:23 am
@BrightNoon,
so we have layers of consciouness..why cant we explain these layers ? I can understand if you isolate a human from physical senses we illiminate the most obvious of distractions but that can be done naturally by concentration..We then have this constant background noise of our imagination firing away at our compelling conscious, distracting it but also giving alternative inputs some good some awful some amazing...What we then realy get is the overiding decissions the decisive mind that i think we realy mean as the real me..the one that tells us we are right we are doing something against its own morals etc..that for me can be described as the mind the soul the "i" our consciousness...I BELIEVE it to be the controlling soul the real me...I can hear you say this belief driven but you cant disprove it..