O The Times, They Are A Changin'

Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 01:13 pm
@EmperorNero,
What else but history provides perspective on the contemporary?

To say that freedom is diminishing in the US is to ignore the fact that freedom, by and large, has increased dramatically with the end of blatant and devastating racist policy like Jim Crow, and the remarkable success of the Civil Rights movement.

I will be the first to admit that there are contemporary threats to liberty, like the Patriot Acts, but these pale in comparison to the treatment of minorities in the past. We've come a long way.
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 01:34 pm
@BrightNoon,
I'm no expert on US talking heads, but Beck's the weeping spoilt brat schill who adds to his already considerable wealth by exploiting the fears and prejudices of middle america isn't he?

Or is that Sean Hannity?

Don't get me wrong - I think the political pundits in my neck of the woods are some of the world's most noxious, but even middle-aged fat ex-terrorists have standards.

---------- Post added 09-04-2009 at 02:42 PM ----------

The US populist dialogue on "freedom" seems to me to hinge around one thing.

$$$

There's more to life.
0 Replies

Zetetic11235

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 01:59 pm
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero;88076 wrote:
Because, you know, most taxes are paid by white people. But that is NOT racism for some reason.

Last time I checked, income tax was determined by the amount of income one has rather than the color of one's skin. Even if we had a flat tax rather than a progressive tax this would be the case. Blacks in America earn $20,000 less per anumm on average than Whites. The fact is that race has nothing to do with taxation, so yes; it is not racism that determines that in America a white person is more likely to pay higher taxes than a black person.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 02:15 pm
@Zetetic11235,
Zetetic11235;88092 wrote:
it is not racism that determines that in America a white person is more likely to pay higher taxes than a black person.

Or is it?

Is racial discrimination not a factor in the average income?

I'm not saying that there is reverse racism because whites pay more taxes (which is absurd - that's whining about making more money!), but that there may be some racism involved in the fact that minorities make less money in the first place.
salima

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 05:19 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;88098 wrote:
Or is it?

Is racial discrimination not a factor in the average income?

I'm not saying that there is reverse racism because whites pay more taxes (which is absurd - that's whining about making more money!), but that there may be some racism involved in the fact that minorities make less money in the first place.

uh...zorrect me if i'm wrong, zetetic, but i think that's what you meant...?!
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 05:23 pm
@BrightNoon,
Not to throw a bucket of cold water on this, but clearly there are irreconcilable political differences being voiced in this thread, and clearly one side isn't going to "win over" the other side. So I wonder where the common ground is?
0 Replies

EmperorNero

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 07:14 pm
@Zetetic11235,
Zetetic11235;88092 wrote:
Last time I checked, income tax was determined by the amount of income one has rather than the color of one's skin. Even if we had a flat tax rather than a progressive tax this would be the case. Blacks in America earn $20,000 less per anumm on average than Whites. The fact is that race has nothing to do with taxation, so yes; it is not racism that determines that in America a white person is more likely to pay higher taxes than a black person.

Doesn't matter. The law of the land, as decided by the supreme court, is: If an outcome is disproportional along racial lines,
it is per definition racist.
I agree with you, but does the same logic apply to all other aspects of racism? "Last time I checked, poverty was determined by the amount effort one puts in rather than the color of one's skin." So then can disproportionate poverty be a sign or even proof of racism?
I don't want to hijack the thread, but it is clear there is a double standard. And I'm going to let this go after this post unless someone insists on a response. But don't go around with your enlightened mindset from college and think the world is as fluffy as the professors put it.
Race doesn't have to do anything with taxation, no company can be called racist if they don't have an official policy to not hire n------.
A flat tax would be significantly less racist.
Zetetic11235

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 07:29 pm
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero;88167 wrote:
Doesn't matter. The law of the land, as decided by the supreme court, is: If an outcome is disproportional along racial lines, it is per definition racist.

Actually, from Merriam Webster:

racism

One entry found.

• Main Entry:
  • Pronunciation: \ˈrā-ˌsi-zəm also -ˌshi-\
  • Function: noun
  • Date: 1933

1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
2 : racial prejudice or discrimination
- \-sist also -shist\ noun or adjective

EmperorNero;88167 wrote:
I agree with you, but does the same logic apply to all other aspects of racism? "Last time I checked, poverty was determined by the amount effort one puts in rather than the color of one's skin." So then is disproportionate poverty a sign or even proof of racism?
I don't want to hijack the thread, but it is clear there is a double standard.
Race doesn't have to do anything with taxation more than no company can be called racist if they don't have an official policy to not hire n------.
A flat tax would be significantly less racist.

If I were to say that "some degree of African American poverty has been propagated by racist policy" is a fact, would you disagree? Even if you do disagree, historical examples of institutional racist policy are what people claim as 'proof of racism' and the issue concerning disproportionate poverty is really that the higher proportion of African American poverty is symptomatic of such past injustices. It is with the actions of the of the past that the state of affairs at hand is judged.

I think that reparations are a day late and a dollar short and would (and do) result in justified outrage (towards affirmative action for instance) by those who lose out in the deal. I can't say that the Great Society, affirmative action have really helped to heal the wounds from past injustices and racial tensions.
EmperorNero

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 07:42 pm
@Zetetic11235,
Zetetic11235;88169 wrote:
Actually, from Merriam Webster:

racism

One entry found.

• Main Entry:
  • Pronunciation: \ˈrā-ˌsi-zəm also -ˌshi-\
  • Function: noun
  • Date: 1933

1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
2 : racial prejudice or discrimination
- \-sist also -shist\ noun or adjective

You tell that to the supreme court.

Zetetic11235;88169 wrote:
If I were to say that "some degree of African American poverty has been propagated by racist policy" is a fact, would you disagree?

I would agree.
0 Replies

Leonard

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 09:03 pm
@BrightNoon,
-Pessimism is usually nothing to worry about, but government is. Honestly, government rarely does things that seem right, they do things for the sake of popularity [or rather] attention. This is really no time for Keynesian economics and their money-tossing. Logically, Keynesian economics are a problem. To cut a deficit, you actually have to cut it, not just print more money or eliminate taxes.
-Few people understand that contractionary fiscal policy is the necessary action. I really don't care for congressmen signing on things they don't like just to increase the odds of a second term.
Solution: More lobbyists:devilish:, cut government spending in half, burn US currency to reduce inflation, subsidize gold mines, and create a government bill to grow opium in private facilities and sell it underhandedly to drug traffickers. We'd sell it for much more than it's really worth, but less than was the drug traffickers sell for. Disagree? These suggestions are no worse than those the government here currently makes.
-Also, harvest oil from central North Dakota. Almost nobody lives there, and we'd give some of the profits to local farmers so they keep quiet.
EmperorNero

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 09:31 pm
@Leonard,
Leonard;88179 wrote:
-Pessimism is usually nothing to worry about, but government is. Honestly, government rarely does things that seem right, they do things for the sake of popularity [or rather] attention. This is really no time for Keynesian economics and their money-tossing. Logically, Keynesian economics are a problem. To cut a deficit, you actually have to cut it, not just print more money or eliminate taxes.
-Few people understand that contractionary fiscal policy is the necessary action. I really don't care for congressmen signing on things they don't like just to increase the odds of a second term.
Solution: More lobbyists:devilish:, cut government spending in half, burn US currency to reduce inflation, subsidize gold mines, and create a government bill to grow opium in private facilities and sell it underhandedly to drug traffickers. We'd sell it for much more than it's really worth, but less than was the drug traffickers sell for. Disagree? These suggestions are no worse than those the government here currently makes.
-Also, harvest oil from central North Dakota. Almost nobody lives there, and we'd give some of the profits to local farmers so they keep quiet.

Good idea, but why cut spending if it's not your money and if you get elected by promising people stuff?
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 07:43 am
@Leonard,
Leonard;88179 wrote:
Solution: More lobbyists:, cut government spending in half, burn US currency to reduce inflation, subsidize gold mines, and create a government bill to grow opium in private facilities and sell it underhandedly to drug traffickers. We'd sell it for much more than it's really worth, but less than was the drug traffickers sell for. Disagree? These suggestions are no worse than those the government here currently makes.
Why don't we first decide what we actually want to accomplish first, rather than undertaking bizarre projects for an abstract fiscal end. No need to burn money -- all you'd need to do is raise the federal interest rate. Of course they tried that in the Great Depression (they also tried to avoid printing money) and these are uniformly regarded as the biggest fiscal failures of the entire era.

Where does our money go -- it goes to healthcare, military spending, and entitlements. You want to fix entitlements? Just raise the retirement age -- we're living longer than we were 20 years ago. You want to fix military spending? How about getting military industries and contractors out of the pockets of congress. You want to fix healthcare? Make a single payer system that has absolute negotiating power.
0 Replies

EmperorNero

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 01:04 pm
@BrightNoon,
I'm pretty surer we tried to print money and lower the federal interest rate, which is "uniformly regarded" as what caused the recession to become the great depression.
As for entitlements, just abolish the welfare state. I agree on military getting out of the pockets of congress. As for health care, when was the last time when eliminating competition caused a drop in prices?
Aedes

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 07:06 pm
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero;88331 wrote:
I'm pretty surer we tried to print money and lower the federal interest rate, which is "uniformly regarded" as what caused the recession to become the great depression.
You're mistaken on the above points:

1) The quantity of money in circulation fell by 2.6% from 1929 to 1930, and it had fallen by 1/3 by 1933. The Fed didn't even make up for losses -- didn't even attempt to -- and they certainly did not print more.

2) The Fed did not recapitalize banks -- and they consequently nearly all collapsed.

3) The Fed raised interest rates in 1928 to try and diminish stock speculation, the nominal interest rate was 5.85% (!) in 1929.

4) The Fed raised the rate again later in the Depression, I believe 1937, and this was immediately followed by another mini crash

I don't have one good reference that ties it all up, but the info is all out there and I'm sure the historical trends are graphed somewhere nicely.

EmperorNero wrote:
when was the last time when eliminating competition caused a drop in prices?
It doesn't when the seller is a monopoly. But it does when the buyer is a monopoly.

The SELLERS of health care are medical practices, hospitals, pharmaceutical companies, medical device companies, pharmacies, etc.

The PURCHASERS of health care are consumers, usually via a third party payor. If there is only one purchaser, the purchaser gets to decide how much they want to pay for a given service. The sellers have no choice because there is no one else to sell to.
0 Replies

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 08:27 pm
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero;88331 wrote:
As for entitlements, just abolish the welfare state. I agree on military getting out of the pockets of congress. As for health care, when was the last time when eliminating competition caused a drop in prices?

Actually it is the opposite. There was a severe contraction in the money supply because banks were caught with insufficient reserves to maintain their loans, and money immediately drained out of the economy. This did result in limited output and a drop in the GDP.

This actually occurred in the early 1920s as well, but we did not see the same results because at the beginning of the great depression the Hoover administration enforced wage rigidity.

---------- Post added 09-07-2009 at 10:41 PM ----------

Aedes;88390 wrote:
You're mistaken on the above points:

1) The quantity of money in circulation fell by 2.6% from 1929 to 1930, and it had fallen by 1/3 by 1933. The Fed didn't even make up for losses -- didn't even attempt to -- and they certainly did not print more.

2) The Fed did not recapitalize banks -- and they consequently nearly all collapsed.

3) The Fed raised interest rates in 1928 to try and diminish stock speculation, the nominal interest rate was 5.85% (!) in 1929.

4) The Fed raised the rate again later in the Depression, I believe 1937, and this was immediately followed by another mini crash

I don't have one good reference that ties it all up, but the info is all out there and I'm sure the historical trends are graphed somewhere nicely.

A little research should do it, as most free-market economists even blame, in large part, the inflationary periods of the mid 20s and the deflationary periods of the late 20s and early 30s. The Great Depression has largely been thought of as an aggravated business cycle for about 30 years or so.

A good article for EmperorNero, though, if he'll wade through the economics:

Rothbard Vindicated - Joseph T. Salerno - Mises Institute

Quote:
It doesn't when the seller is a monopoly. But it does when the buyer is a monopoly.

The SELLERS of health care are medical practices, hospitals, pharmaceutical companies, medical device companies, pharmacies, etc.

The PURCHASERS of health care are consumers, usually via a third party payor. If there is only one purchaser, the purchaser gets to decide how much they want to pay for a given service. The sellers have no choice because there is no one else to sell to.
The problem is that the market necessarily approaches cost, and no monopolistic purchaser can pay for goods at less than cost.

A monopolistic purchaser must then attempt to guess at what the cost of production actually is, which is generally devastating to efficiency. For one, we can pretty much count on those who are approximating the cost to be in the pockets of the producers. Whether they are or not, however, we can also pretty much count on producers underproducing because of the rigidity of distribution, as the size of monopoly needed to provide a service to the US would be incredibly stagnant in responding to actual demand as compared to a swarm of individual consumers.

Unless you can show a market failure in the pricing of healthcare, there is absolutely no way a monopolistic purchaser of healthcare could lower prices.

EDIT: I recognize that there are moral arguments that supercede economic arguments, so I am not attacking a single-payer system with this post. Just pointing out that the economics of it don't really add up.
EmperorNero

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 10:44 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
Mr. Fight the Power;88915 wrote:
A good article for EmperorNero, though, if he'll wade through the economics:

Rothbard Vindicated - Joseph T. Salerno - Mises Institute

Thanks.

________
0 Replies

BrightNoon

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 01:50 am
@salima,
jeeprs wrote:
So is this why there is no documentation or footnotes for any of these claims? I mean I would be astonished to know that Wall Street funded communism or nazism. Are there any references for this, or has it something that has been carefully concealed by the mainstream media all this century? Are there any texts on it? And is this why you don't write to convince anyone save those who understand it already?

As I said, my intention in this thread was not to debate whether or not the theory I briefly presented is correct. That would be an enormous debate. Hence, I addressed my post primarily to those who understand what I'm talking about. However, as always, I welcome criticism. I won't at the moment go into great detail myself, but I will point you toward the sort of evidence you've rightly said I failed to provide. See the following sources for the connection between high finance and collectivism:

-Sutton, Anton. Wallstreet and the Rise of Hitler. Available on scribd

-Sutton, Antony. Wallstreet and FDR. Available on scribd

-Sutton, Antony. Wallstreet and the Bolshevik Revolution. Available on scribd

(all are accounts based strictly the memoirs of people involved in the events, archival documents from various nations, etc.: i.e. not speculation or 'conspiracy theories')

-House, Edward Mandel. Phillip Dru: Administrator. Available on scribd

-The collected papers of Edward Mandel House, available in different publications and forms

('Colonel' House was by all accounts the leading influence in the Wilson administration and at the same time a known agent and representative of British (and presumably American) finance)

-Wells H.G. The Open Conspiracy. Available on scribd

(fiction or theorizing of course, but fiction or theorizing written by a man very close to the ruling class, and very much in tune with the spirit of the age; and of course the 'strange coincidences' between present reality and what he wrote are strange indeed)

-transcripts of The Reese Committee Hearings on Tax Exempt Foundations, esp. the testimony of Norman Dodd (1953), available on scribd

-An Interview with Normal Dodd, conducted by G.E. Griffin in the 1980's, available on googlevideo or youtube

(If you don't find yourself interested enough to read through any of the other sources, watch this)

-Quigley, Carroll. The Anglo-American Establishment. Available on scribd

(an excruciatingly dry read, I'd recommend finding a synopsis somewhere)

-Griffin, G.E. The Creature from Jekyll Island: a second look at the federal reserve.

(if you read no other sources, read this one, especially the first few chapters re the origin of the Fed)

Didymos Thomas wrote:
You post Bob Dylan lyrics after commending Glenn Beck, who is one of the most repulsive talking heads around?

BrightNoon, I dig ya, man, but that's blasphemous.

Sorry, my friend, Glenn Beck is not getting the message out - he's spreading hate and fear. And you know how I feel about large corporations. Beck, even more so than a mention of Jackson in an earlier thread, is the last person to be cited. Beck is part of the big money push. He's a cog in the wheel you so despise. He's part of the misinformation cog, which is the most vital part of that malign machine.

I agree completely. Beck is a shill, and I said so in my post. If he weren't he never would've made it to prime time FOX, or anywhere remotely visible. That's not the point. I don't know the mind of old Rupert, but I do watch Beck every weekday and I personally can attest to the fact that he is speaking far more truth than any other talking head. Why, if he's a shill? As I said, perhaps this is clever propaganda. Perhaps he is speaking just enough to entice the partially awake viewer to follow him toward a straw man: probably. But I think some truth presented with such ill-intentions is better than none at all. Again, I don't like the man, I love the message. Have you ever watched Beck? Between his antics and right-lef comments (which are very rare compared to most FOX-MSNBC-CNN critters) he actually states a great deal of important FACT regarding the authoritian, collectivist tendencies of our leaders, and most importantly exposes part of the real government: i.e. the various NGO's, funded by the ultra-rich. As for Zimmy, I posted his song in reference to the growing awakening of the American people to those Facts and what it may mean for this country, not in reference to Beck. That indeed would be blasphemous.

---------- Post added 09-08-2009 at 04:05 AM ----------

EmperorNero wrote:

No, the Fed did the opposite actually. They tightened credit. But why did that facilitate the depression? Because the Fed had created the credit bubbles of the twenties in the first place! Moreover, the idea that we have to fight deflation now, as we failed to do in the early years of the depression, is totally insane; deflation is no longer possible. In the early years of the depression we had a gold standard. With irredeemable currency on the other hand true deflation is not possible.

The government's other actions, i.e. make-work, price controls, etc. did however tragically prolong the depression by preventing the creative destruction, the purging of inefficiency, which is the only cure for a system rife with inefficiency. And why was there so much inefficiency? Misallocation of resources is always of result of artifical manipulation of credit and interest rates. Today, the government is doing the same thing. As FDR responded to falling crop prices (and angry farmers) by ordering the destruction of crops, so our government is responding to the collapse of housing prices by keeping supply low (offering subsidized refinancing for distressed mortgages, allowing banks to mark-to-fanstasy and so that they can delay foreclosures, etc.); and what we're doing now will fail for the same reason. Reality doesn't give a damn what we think prices ought to be. There is a natural price based on supply and demand, and until that price is reached, nothing but government intervention (printed or borrowed money) can keep those prices up at the 'right' level. Every dollar spent in this manner (trying to make reality agree with our vision of the reality we would like) is a dollar wasted, and a dollar drawn from other, more productive endeavors, and, in the world today, a dollar borrowed on which interets will be payed, several times at different levels, and in the shorter term, a dollar taken directly out of the pocket of the people through inflation. Shameful.
EmperorNero

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 05:27 am
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon;88952 wrote:
-Sutton, Anton. Wallstreet and the Rise of Hitler. Available on scribd

Seems like also in world war II, the US was funding both sides.

Thanks to all three posters pointing out the economics of the great depression.
If you all agree I believe you.
BrightNoon

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 10:46 am
@EmperorNero,
Indeed elements within the U.S. did fund both sides. George W. Bush's grandfather was a NAZI sympathizer and his bank helped fund them. IBM did the same; the number tatoos given to concentration camp prisoners were used with IBM computers (mechanical computers obviously). Though anti-semitism was present in Germany, and elsewhere, for a long time before the racial laws went into effect in the reich, the NAZI racial ideology was new (i.e. not really derivative of the older, more conservative, 'respectable' anti-semitism), and came from British and American 'racial hygiene' programs of the early 20th century. The idea that the Anglo-American world represented freedom and stood against everything the NAZI's were trying to do is nothing but the residue of war propoganda.

As we all know, many of the high-level NAZI scientists were brought to the U.S., Britain, and the Soviet Union after the war to continue their research. These were not all engineers and rocket scientists. Quite a few of them were involved in grizzly racial and biological experiements during the war, and continued with the same after the war.

We've all heard of Josef Mengele I'm sure. How many have heard of Otmar Freiherr von Verschuer? He was the chief of the Keiser Wilhelm Institute (funded by the Rockefeller and Carnegie Trusts), which was the pre-war leader in the sort of horrors we associate with Mengele, who was in fact a student and employee of Vershuer, and was sent to Auschwitz as such on Verschuer's orders. Mengele hung, but Verschuer was not prosecuted. By 1949 he had become a corresponding member of the American Society of Human Genetics. In 1950 the University of Munster offered him a position at its Institute of Human Genetics. He later became a member of the Italian Society of Genetics, the Anthropological Society of Vienna, and the Japanese Society for Human Genetics. That's odd..:whistling:
Aedes

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 10:53 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
The problem is that the market necessarily approaches cost, and no monopolistic purchaser can pay for goods at less than cost.
True, prices would probably be relatively similar to what they are now -- with the exception that the rate of inflation in health care prices would drop steeply and new products would come to market at a lower price (because they'd have to be negotiated).

A monopolistic purchaser must then attempt to guess at what the cost of production actually is, which is generally devastating to efficiency.
Well, many insurance companies will imitate Medicare's negotiated pricing. Medicare, in this regard, acts as a limited monopolistic purchaser for certain services. And Medicare negotiates prices, it doesn't just name them.

But you're right, there is a delicate balance -- I mean drug companies need profits for R&D, hospital employees need salaries and facilities need maintenance, etc. So a single payer wouldn't be able to just dictate -- if they paid way below costs, then private insurance would rise again and the single payer wouldn't be honored by the sellers.

Unless you can show a market failure in the pricing of healthcare, there is absolutely no way a monopolistic purchaser of healthcare could lower prices.
As I mentioned before, healthcare does not obey typical market rules because price/value is not the main motivator of purchasers (who are interested in outcomes) and profit margin is not the main motivator of the clinical sellers (who are also interested in outcomes).
0 Replies