Living or Dead?

BaCaRdi

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 09:41 am
@xris,
Oopps now you done it!..lolol

A seed is not only living, their are seeds within seeds my friend.
Again that all depends on your own classification of "life" or "death".

I can say this seed is alive, but maybe not be continuous yet.

Is a sperm alive? Well yeah! it swims! and Egg? oops yep.....

Again we speaking of a life as a state of conscious? Then the answer is no..it's not alive yet to us that is...it has wonderful potential of such

Again they is indeed underlaying life, don't kid yourself. If you where to look close enough...(tunneling electron microscope)..ohh my it's moving! therefor it's alive?

-BaC
xris wrote:
So answer my question...what is a seed living or dead?
xris

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 10:08 am
@BaCaRdi,
So we are agreed we dont know what life is....
BaCaRdi

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 10:31 am
@xris,
Nope.sorry I do know what it is ...do you want to..that is the real question?

Where does your faith(fate) end, when are you satisfied you "know" enough?

-BaC
I am never such....
xris wrote:
So we are agreed we dont know what life is....
xris

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 10:36 am
@BaCaRdi,
BaCaRdi wrote:
Nope.sorry I do know what it is ...do you want to..that is the real question?

Where does your faith(fate) end, when are you satisfied you "know" enough?

-BaC
I am never such....
Satsified i dont know yes but does it stop me thinking what life is??? NO...I have no dogmatic belief system, im in the river of life, as i hurtle down the rapids i grab at rocks as i meander through the shallows i ponder on my surroundings at the end of the river i drown...
0 Replies

Icon

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 10:48 am
@BrightNoon,
"I am no more alive than the air that I breathe and yet the air breathes life into me.

I am no more alive than the blood in my veins yet life is a cycle from birth to remains.

I am no more alive than that which I feel but feelings are neither alive nor real.

I am a voice in my head you see. So life, as it were, is defined by me. " ~J. Owens (Observations of the Waking World, Intro to Chapter 12 - Life as an Idea)
BaCaRdi

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 11:33 am
@Icon,
Yes and absolutely yes.
-BaC
xris wrote:
Satsified i dont know yes but does it stop me thinking what life is??? NO...I have no dogmatic belief system, im in the river of life, as i hurtle down the rapids i grab at rocks as i meander through the shallows i ponder on my surroundings at the end of the river i drown...

Icon wrote:
"I am no more alive than the air that I breathe and yet the air breathes life into me.

I am no more alive than the blood in my veins yet life is a cycle from birth to remains.

I am no more alive than that which I feel but feelings are neither alive nor real.

I am a voice in my head you see. So life, as it were, is defined by me. " ~J. Owens (Observations of the Waking World, Intro to Chapter 12 - Life as an Idea)
0 Replies

xris

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 11:41 am
@Icon,
Some say life is just breathing..others a mere needing..shall we know what life is by dying..but the mistake is to have faith the seed of life is believing..Xris ,just now...
BaCaRdi

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 11:43 am
@xris,
Well said.
-BaC Wink
xris wrote:
Some say life is just breathing..others a mere needing..shall we know what life is by dying..but the mistake is to have faith the seed of life is believing..Xris ,just now...
0 Replies

BaCaRdi

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 11:44 am
@BrightNoon,
Can you see the meaning in my signature... Computer geeks are welcome..hehe <--I hate that I resemble that remark.lol

Error[2] "while trying to load":[reality.sh] kernel: [Panic!]...{Universe has been halted!}...
0 Replies

Icon

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 12:28 pm
@BrightNoon,
Yeah.. I was laughing when I first read that. Gotta love Linux.
BaCaRdi

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 12:41 pm
@Icon,
Hehe thanks...

Linux/UNIX with out bounds..

Period!
Don't believe me?
Your on it right now:P

The Internet is of UNIX by Unix, within Linux Razz
Damn this "Fractal Plane of Existence"

-BaC
Icon wrote:
Yeah.. I was laughing when I first read that. Gotta love Linux.
0 Replies

Icon

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 12:43 pm
@BrightNoon,
I am a dedicated Linux user. I run Redhat on one of my servers and Ubuntu on my public computer for my friends who aren't quite as technical as I am.

Unix is happiness. Linux is a pathway to such
BaCaRdi

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 12:50 pm
@Icon,
I will let you in into a sometimes unknown order;P

C was created....C created UNIX....Unix created Linux....So C would be the "god" of Linux and Unix alike..

Yes, exactly that order...don't believe me....look it up..hehe

DAMN FRACTALS(paradoxes) everywhere.lol

C was created by D. M. Ritchie of Bell Labs... That would make him the God of Unix/Linux...

See what I am saying;)

-BaC
Icon wrote:
I am a dedicated Linux user. I run Redhat on one of my servers and Ubuntu on my public computer for my friends who aren't quite as technical as I am.

Unix is happiness. Linux is a pathway to such
0 Replies

Icon

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 12:54 pm
@BrightNoon,
Actually, to be precise, it all started with a model train set. Wink

Let's see how well you know your history.
BaCaRdi

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 12:58 pm
@Icon,
Let me guess..the father of Newtonian something or another...

Could also state it was due to the cannon we found orbit:P An apple found gravity...etc..

-BaC
Icon wrote:
Actually, to be precise, it all started with a model train set. Wink

Let's see how well you know your history.
Icon

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 01:02 pm
@BaCaRdi,
BaCaRdi wrote:
Let me guess..the father of Newtonian something or another...

Could also state it was due to the cannon we found orbit:P

-BaC

The silicon chip or circuit board was design to trigger a model train when someone walked in the door.
BaCaRdi

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 01:05 pm
@Icon,
The silicon chip is not of this world my friend..

OF this world...uhh ohhh..

Binary breed binary, sub-binary bread the RADIX.

Of fractal design by fractal design.

Enough said? :surrender:
-Tron M.Sc.<----dare you ask...

<--not called a Master by mistake mate;)
Icon wrote:
The silicon chip or circuit board was design to trigger a model train when someone walked in the door.
0 Replies

BrightNoon

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 04:55 pm
@BaCaRdi,
Alright everyone, you took things in not the direction I intended. Obviously, life is consciousness from an individual's perspective. What I am interested in, and what I hope you can comment on, is what might constitute life in the 'external world'. Of course, we are assuming that such a world exists, but that's fine if we ackowledge the assumption. I'm really thinking about very simple organisms and their environment. Consider a bacterium; what is the essential difference between that structure and the surrounding solution? Obviously, it is a matter of complexity of organization, but is there anything else?
BaCaRdi

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 04:58 pm
@BrightNoon,
It's Called Chaos Theory,
Let me enlighten you..pretty please.lol

Ohh traps traps everywhere, but none in "Sight"
Fight or Flight? ----> The Path of the Righteous ...
-BaC
It is by "pure" thought I set my mind in motion...It's is by "pure" will I set my body in motion.....

-Tron
BrightNoon wrote:
Alright everyone, you took things in not the direction I intended. Obviously, life is consciousness from an individual's perspective. What I am interested in, and what I hope you can comment on, is what might constitute life in the 'external world'. Of course, we are assuming that such a world exists, but that's fine if we ackowledge the assumption. I'm really thinking about very simple organisms and their environment. Consider a bacterium; what is the essential difference between that structure and the surrounding solution? Obviously, it is a matter of complexity of organization, but is there anything else?
0 Replies

paulhanke

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 07:36 pm
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon wrote:

... autocatalysis is one theory (Kauffman) ... chemical A catalyzes B catalyzes C catalyzes D catalyzes A catalyzes B catalyzes C catalyzes D catalyzes A ... of course, such a self-organized catalytic network could never be perfectly self-sustaining - raw materials need to be brought it from outside the network and over-produced materials need to be ejected from the network (the genesis of food and poop!) ...

... autopoiesis is a higher-level theory that sits atop autocatalysis ... here are Thompson's rules for autopoiesis:

Quote:

1. Semipermeable Boundary: Check whether the system is defined by a semipermeable boundary made up of molecular components. Does the boundary enable you to discriminate between the inside and the outside of the system in relation to its relevant components? If yes, proceed to 2.
  2. Reaction Network: Check whether the components are being produced by a network of reactions that take place within the boundary. If yes, proceed to 3.
  3. Interdependency: Check whether 1 and 2 are interdependent: are the boundary components being produced by the internal network of reactions, and is that network regenerated by conditions due to the boundary itself? If yes, the system is autopoietic.

... Kauffman's is a universal theory of life; Thompson's is a terrestrial (cellular) theory of life ... would you agree with either?