Living or Dead?

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 01:28 pm
My question is very simple; what defines living from non-living structures? Obviously, there is a formal biological definition, involving certain criteria by which things are classified as such, but that definition is arbitrary. Does anyone have an opinion as to what constitutes the 'essence of life', which is present in some things and absent in others. My own views are slightly confused, though I feel that Order versus Disorder is somehow important in the divergnce betwen living and non-living: life against entropy. However, isn't order relative? What lacks an order? Other times, I find myself thinking that there is no difference.

Any thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,063 • Replies: 72
No top replies

Icon

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 01:55 pm
@BrightNoon,
Alive is that which experiences the physical world
Dead is that which experiences the metaphysical world
Inanimate is that which does not experience.
0 Replies

BaCaRdi

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 02:36 pm
@BrightNoon,
I refer to cat

The cat is neither dead nor alive, until you open the box and make an observation.

Behold the quantum state theory(Also know as the Copenhagen Interpretation).

-BaC
BrightNoon wrote:
My question is very simple; what defines living from non-living structures? Obviously, there is a formal biological definition, involving certain criteria by which things are classified as such, but that definition is arbitrary. Does anyone have an opinion as to what constitutes the 'essence of life', which is present in some things and absent in others. My own views are slightly confused, though I feel that Order versus Disorder is somehow important in the divergnce betwen living and non-living: life against entropy. However, isn't order relative? What lacks an order? Other times, I find myself thinking that there is no difference.

Any thoughts?
xris

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 02:41 pm
@BaCaRdi,
not the cat in the bleeding box again??? What is life? something we cant replicate with all our powers...What it actualy is, Ive asked but no one is prepared to comment...I await with anticipation..
BaCaRdi

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 02:51 pm
@xris,
To you it's your observational senses. To me it's the lack there of, in the minds eye(View from child like eyes, no preconceived notions.

Again Newtonian physics are valid only in a snapshot of ones reality, the observer by the observed.
-BaC
xris wrote:
not the cat in the bleeding box again??? What is life? something we cant replicate with all our powers...What it actualy is, Ive asked but no one is prepared to comment...I await with anticipation..
BaCaRdi

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 02:59 pm
@BrightNoon,
Yes it is ALL paradoxical by nature, or of fractal reality.

There is such a tool, called the Mandelbrot Set;

-BaC
0 Replies

xris

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 03:01 pm
@BaCaRdi,
BaCaRdi wrote:
To you it's your observational senses. To me it's the lack there of, in the minds eye(View from child like eyes, no preconceived notions.

Again Newtonian physics are valid only in a snapshot of ones reality, the observer by the observed.
-BaC
sorry but i have not got the faintest idea what yourtalking about...is it my reality is not your ability to recognise what it is or are you purposely obtuse..
BaCaRdi

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 03:04 pm
@xris,
Haha sorry about that.

If that is what you want it to be, then it is indeed that. Again fractals by nature in nature.

-BaC

xris wrote:
sorry but i have not got the faintest idea what yourtalking about...is it my reality is not your ability to recognise what it is or are you purposely obtuse..
0 Replies

BaCaRdi

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 03:06 pm
@xris,
I am sorry I lack the ability to explain such. This is all based on probability wave / thought. It's fractals, via Mandelbrot's sets.

I am speaking of possibilities, your speaking of your realities, they will never mesh, unless you seek enlightenment.

Try reading the Mandelbrot's link above.

A quote from the site above:

" Despite several thousand years of failure to correctly understand physical reality (hence the current postmodern view that this is impossible) it is actually very simple to work out how matter exists and moves about in Space. We just had to take Science (Occam's Razor / Simplicity) and Metaphysics (Dynamic Unity of Reality) seriously and thus describe reality from only one substance existing, as Leibniz wrote; 'Reality cannot be found except in One single source, because of the interconnection of all things with one another'."

-BaC
xris wrote:
0 Replies

BaCaRdi

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 03:40 pm
@BrightNoon,
Of fractal natureby fractal nature;

-BaC
xris

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 07:13 am
@BaCaRdi,
Its very interesting nature and the patterns of nature but how does that describe living and dead? reality only knows living and dead.....yes we dont know about the cat till we take its pulse we know natures wonderful symmetry but what describes living as opposed to dead...
0 Replies

Icon

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 08:53 am
@BrightNoon,
I would like to pose a theory. This is something I have been working on for the better part of a decade. I have already published papers on this through MIT, UCLA and Cambridge so don't think too hard about stealing it Wink.

The question was asked, what difines living from non-living. I say consciousness. The ability to experience. A mathmatical sequence of probable outcomes which define physical reality through interaction. now, I would like to state that I am not talking about regular consciouness. I am inclined to relate reality through three different conscious states:

Consciousness (view/control of partical reality)
Sub-consciousness (intermediary)
Quantum consciousness (view/control of quantum reality)

I would say that any conjoined matter which contains a quantum consciousness can be considered alive. This would include all organic matter. Now, my theory goes much deeper but you'll have to wait for my book to be released. We are looking at April of next year.
xris

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 09:00 am
@Icon,
As im ignorant of your classification ..how does a plant have consciousness? is it the effect of its environment and what about a seed with potential for life is that living or dead?
BaCaRdi

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 09:19 am
@xris,
A plant not only has a consciousness, it has underlay such (subconsciousness).

Maybe...I don't know call me crazy......

Where is a bunch of "Matter" hogs.lol

"God" has created us as equals, to a point...is that so crazy?

If not for the consciousness(Reality), what point would there be to life?
-BaC
I think therefor I am....
xris wrote:
As im ignorant of your classification ..how does a plant have consciousness? is it the effect of its environment and what about a seed with potential for life is that living or dead?
xris

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 09:30 am
@BaCaRdi,
So we dont know what living is? are we agreed?
BaCaRdi

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 09:33 am
@xris,
Well not quiet...I do know what living is....it's consciousness.

Or what have been the lesson to be learned of this thing we call life? :a-ok:
-BaC
xris wrote:
So we dont know what living is? are we agreed?
Icon

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 09:34 am
@BrightNoon,
I would agree that I don't KNOW but I would say that I have a good idea.

My theory cuts right down to the heart of existence, god, the universe, religion, life and purpose. Unfortunately, I believe that I would hit a character limit if I tried to explain it here and there is no "reader's digest" version. LoL

Suffice to say that to understand life, we must understand existence, to understand existence we must understand consciousness, to understand consciousness we must understand the beginning or source of such. Only when we have run out of roots can we say we truly know.
0 Replies

xris

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 09:34 am
@BaCaRdi,
So answer my question...what is a seed living or dead?
Icon

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 09:36 am
@BrightNoon,
The seed is living.

So is a rock in certain ways. It is simply living in a way which we cannot understand with our limited abilities.
0 Replies

BaCaRdi

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 09:39 am
@BrightNoon,
I can't tell you what you think of life, no more than you can tell my such. In order to really understand a life creature you must have lived their lives. That is a impossibility, I can no more tell you what your life is/was as much as you can't tell me.

What makes Life worth living?
Again to everyone, even if by commonalities, each "Life" is different. To some it's themselves to others their children, their spouse, their dog, etc, etc, etc.

-BaC
Diversity in Action.....
0 Replies