An instrument cannot examine itself

Aedes

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 06:06 am
@BrightNoon,
I don't quite understand why you keep mentioning science or scientific understandings here. The way you're describing consciousness, and shielding it away, makes it tantamount to talking about the soul or talking about angels. In other words, by your reckoning the consciousness is metaphysical and putative but, but there is no evidence for its actual existence at all. So why should science care about such a thing? The consciousness that science investigates is something quite different.
Khethil

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 06:35 am
@Aedes,
Of course it can examine itself; and it's a healthy, productive (and sometimes) insightful thing to do so.

No, it's hardly objective, but that doesn't preclude *all* worth of the endeavor.
0 Replies

Fairbanks

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 10:32 am
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
I don't quite understand why you keep mentioning science or scientific understandings here. The way you're describing consciousness, and shielding it away, makes it tantamount to talking about the soul or talking about angels. In other words, by your reckoning the consciousness is metaphysical and putative but, but there is no evidence for its actual existence at all. So why should science care about such a thing? The consciousness that science investigates is something quite different.

Surprised

Going on a century after Husserl's 'Crisis' we are finally getting around to some serious attention to the problem of consciousness. Keely said everything is consciousness, Tesla said we are completely automatons, Libet says something is going on here. Firm up an opinion and take a stand, but that isn't true to philosophy. Science is making images of brain functions, and they know it is not the function itself but the brain while functions are happening: subjective reports are necessary in this kind of investigation, yet subjective reports are not generally associated with objective science.
paulhanke

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 08:34 pm
@Fairbanks,
... a number of scientists are studying consciousness in a number of ways ... Ramachandran ("Phantoms in the Brain" and "A Brief Tour of Human Consciousness") studies patients with minor brain damage not only to determine how brain damage can affect consciousness, but also to gather information regarding the constitution of consciousness ... for example, damage to an isolated area of the brain can cause patients to start consciously experiencing elements of their own bodies (say, an arm) to be "other" (not their own) - therefore, it would seem to be the case that the conscious division of self from world is an isolated component of consciousness ... illusion is another approach to probing at consciousness - for example, Ramachandran treats amputees with "phantom limb" syndrome (the conscious experience of severe pain in amputated limbs) through the use of mirrors that present the patients with healthy, whole images of themselves and allows them to "rehabilitate" the painful phantom limbs ... certainly, these studies only scratch the surface - but they serve to illuminate that the scientific study of consciousness may not be impossible but just a matter of getting creative Wink.
Fairbanks

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 09:07 am
@paulhanke,
paulhanke wrote:
... ... Ramachandran . . . patients with minor brain damage . . . "phantom limb" syndrome Wink.

BrightNoon wrote:
Can or cannot the mind analyze itself? The answer is no, if by analysis, we mean rational, empirical analysis.

Smile

Another one is the obsessive-compulsive disorder, OCD. This one can be treated to a degree. The dysfunctions seem to be more useful for discovering what consciousness isn't rather than what it is. The treatment for OCD appears to be by the mind analyzing its own intent.
0 Replies

BrightNoon

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 03:27 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:

Have you ever seen an angel or a soul; have you ever seen an electron; I would guess you have seen neither. On the other hand, Consciousness refers to everything that one has ever experienced, or is experiencing. There is nothing mystical about what I am saying, nothing speculative, nothing subtle. Not only is there evidence everywhere, for the individual, but the individual could not, even for a moment, ever, escape consciousness if he liked.

You really think that the empical world exists beyond your own idea of it, don't you? Are you such an intellectual spectre that only your ideals are real and your experience is imaginary? You should join the priesthood which, afterall is the antecedent of the scientific community. Your 'cause' is the progeny of the theologian's 'soul'.

As for the rest of you; if you are talking about brain scans you have already missed the point, which has been ongoing for three pages. This is not a thread about the benefit of science in therapy for the brain damaged, insane, etc. That is all practical and has nothing to do with the philosophical issue; namely, whether or not an instrument can examine itself (by which I mean, determine its own nature, define itself, understand itself), which it seems certain to me, it cannot. The point of this, in case someone forgot, is to prove that a scientific interpretation of individual consciousness is not possible. If you counter by saying that correlation between brain function and people's behavior or statements is such, you have fortgotten the main point again; a correspondence deals not at all with the actual experience of living as an individual, but rather with the observation of an individual by another.
Zetherin

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 08:18 pm
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon wrote:
Have you ever seen an angel or a soul; have you ever seen an electron; I would guess you have seen neither. On the other hand, Consciousness refers to everything that one has ever experienced, or is experiencing. There is nothing mystical about what I am saying, nothing speculative, nothing subtle. Not only is there evidence everywhere, for the individual, but the individual could not, even for a moment, ever, escape consciousness if he liked.

You really think that the empical world exists beyond your own idea of it, don't you? Are you such an intellectual spectre that only your ideals are real and your experience is imaginary? You should join the priesthood which, afterall is the antecedent of the scientific community. Your 'cause' is the progeny of the theologian's 'soul'.

As for the rest of you; if you are talking about brain scans you have already missed the point, which has been ongoing for three pages. This is not a thread about the benefit of science in therapy for the brain damaged, insane, etc. That is all practical and has nothing to do with the philosophical issue; namely, whether or not an instrument can examine itself (by which I mean, determine its own nature, define itself, understand itself), which it seems certain to me, it cannot. The point of this, in case someone forgot, is to prove that a scientific interpretation of individual consciousness is not possible. If you counter by saying that correlation between brain function and people's behavior or statements is such, you have fortgotten the main point again; a correspondence deals not at all with the actual experience of living as an individual, but rather with the observation of an individual by another.

I'm going to have to agree with you here.

It appears that this perception that consciousness has this empirical, (and not just empirical, but 'truthful' nature) stems from the ideal that humans are "special". It gets a bit depressing when one realizes that many of the modern theories of consciousness may very well be correct and these thoughts, memories, whatever don't have any innate, inherent value. They are, as you spell out, just a reflection of our individual perception. How can you even prove a memory through science? Memories are individualistic and cannot be proven, let alone the fact that they are often broken and can be altered on a whim. For this same reason, you cannot prove our consciousness - it is observation from a person's own perspective. We can, however, define our own nature, just as we can define anything. But, what does that matter?

There's nothing "special", and we sure as hell aren't on the same page. Everyone is alone, unless, of course, they perceive otherwise. The world is how we perceive it, and only as we perceive it. If we were not here, some theories point to the universe not even existing (I've examined these, and frankly, it appears to make the most sense in my eyes). It is through our individual observation that reality is born; and only our reality, for there is no universal reality, only our own. In lamen's terms, we are all living in individual bubbles, with the illusion that we are all in one giant bubble.

I really don't know what the argument here is. My thought is that there is a want to apply value to our consciousness, which is fine, but I feel the opposite should also be considered.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 05:46 am
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon;23450 wrote:
Have you ever seen an angel or a soul; have you ever seen an electron; I would guess you have seen neither.
Well, actually, in both high school and college chemistry and physics my classes and labs reproduced many of the experiments that led to the discovery of electrons, which is indeed how they're "seen". Yesterday I referred a patient for an MRI, which is a shadow cast by electrons in a magnetic field. In fact students begin doing some of the canonical experiments of modern science as early as middle school. So no to the angel and soul, yes to the electron.

Quote:
On the other hand, Consciousness refers to everything that one has ever experienced, or is experiencing.
Whose definition is that? I think that's an extremely inaccurate definition.

Quote:
the individual could not, even for a moment, ever, escape consciousness if he liked.
Sure you can. Here are a few ways.
Benzodiazepine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Barbiturate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halothane
Isoflurane - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ketamine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Propofol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Chloral hydrate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ether - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Chloroform - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nitrous oxide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
You really think that the empical world exists beyond your own idea of it, don't you?
The world beyond our ideas is NOT empirical -- it just is what it is. Our ideas of the world, whether individual or collective, are actually what is empirical.

And I can simultaneously believe that there is a real world and believe that my ideas of it bear SOME resemblance to it, even if not 100% accurately.

This tired old argument that we can't escape from our own perspective does NOT mutually exclude the notion that other things are real, that the world is real. All it means is that we can't prove it in the absolute. But no one cares about the absolute anyway outside of religion.

Quote:
Are you such an intellectual spectre that only your ideals are real and your experience is imaginary?
Uh... have you gone off the deep end here?
Khethil

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 05:59 am
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon wrote:
... namely, whether or not an instrument can examine itself (by which I mean, determine its own nature, define itself, understand itself), which it seems certain to me, it cannot.

Of course it can.

• Objectively? No
  • Accurately, absent of Subjective Influences? No
  • Scientifically, with complete thoroughness? No
  • In a legitimate, Scientific-methodology? No

But what self-observation we *can* do, self-analysis and examination of ourselves through the reactions and feedback from others, combined with humility and a healthy perspective (even with all our grand flaws) - doesn't this hit the mark at least a *wee* bit? And in so doing, isn't it a good thing?

Concur with your assertions overall, friend. I only bring up this "something is better than nothing"- idea in the light of depolarizing the issue. If the light is ONLY on or ONLY off the propensity is to toss up ones' hands on self examination and say "Nope, can't be done - none of this effort is worthwhile". If that same light is on a dimmer-switch, then one is more likely to indulge - and give worth to - the effort of examining oneself (which I believe has high worth!).

... hope this came our right, my words often fail me :nonooo:
Zetherin

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 07:06 am
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:

The world beyond our ideas is NOT empirical -- it just is what it is. Our ideas of the world, whether individual or collective, are actually what is empirical.

And I can simultaneously believe that there is a real world and believe that my ideas of it bear SOME resemblance to it, even if not 100% accurately.

This tired old argument that we can't escape from our own perspective does NOT mutually exclude the notion that other things are real, that the world is real. All it means is that we can't prove it in the absolute.

I think this may be the heart of the disagreement. You both seem to actually agree on a point, though semantics has gotten the best of you - There is no empirical world outside of our own idea of said world. You can believe a 'real' world exists, though you should humor the fact that the world may not be without our observation. For instance, I believe the world is how we perceive it; Our observation is our reality, there is no universal reality. If nothing was around to observe, I don't think it would exist. Our perception isn't of the world, it is our world.

You can believe there is a real world, though I think he simply believes there is not one, like I. (and of course, neither theory can be proven absolute)
Zetherin

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 07:14 am
@Khethil,
Khethil wrote:
Of course it can.

• Objectively? No
  • Accurately, absent of Subjective Influences? No
  • Scientifically, with complete thoroughness? No
  • In a legitimate, Scientific-methodology? No

But what self-observation we *can* do, self-analysis and examination of ourselves through the reactions and feedback from others, combined with humility and a healthy perspective (even with all our grand flaws) - doesn't this hit the mark at least a *wee* bit? And in so doing, isn't it a good thing?

Concur with your assertions overall, friend. I only bring up this "something is better than nothing"- idea in the light of depolarizing the issue. If the light is ONLY on or ONLY off the propensity is to toss up ones' hands on self examination and say "Nope, can't be done - none of this effort is worthwhile". If that same light is on a dimmer-switch, then one is more likely to indulge - and give worth to - the effort of examining oneself (which I believe has high worth!).

... hope this came our right, my words often fail me :nonooo:

I think he was referring more on a scientific basis. It appears that you are more focusing on self consideration, analysis of a different context than the one he was referring. Yes, you can get a wee bit close to understanding yourself through others (instruments), experiences, etc., however, none of this is the actual process of you observing yourself; you're using other instruments to guide you. Therefore, you can't empirical prove yourself, hence an instrument cannot examine itself. Regardless, self examination (that you speak of) I also agree is of high worth!

Again, I just think most of the argument here is of semantics, and it's very easy to become misunderstood when we toss words around like this. The more each of us write, the more chance of a tangent going off. Once a tangent goes off, misunderstanding is begged. It's just natural.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 07:25 am
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon wrote:
Not only is there evidence everywhere, for the individual, but the individual could not, even for a moment, ever, escape consciousness if he liked.

I escape consciousness every night for approximately 8 hours: Sleep.

Perhaps you mean that while conscious, one cannot escape one's reality. In which case, I'd agree.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 07:33 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;23650 wrote:
Our observation is our reality, there is no universal reality. If nothing was around to observe, I don't think it would exist. Our perception isn't of the world, it is our world.
I don't really agree with either your or his point here -- I can't prove you wrong in reality, but the converse is true -- the "proof" that there is no objective world is only logical, and not demonstrable.

Our "observations" are collective in a way, too. We learn from parents, family, school, etc, about both specifics and generalities about the world that we have not observed ourselves. In this way we share an immensely complex, intertwined collection that makes reality far more expansive than our direct observations.

Furthermore, our lives depend on a very high degree of assumption about consistency within the world and the truth of things we haven't observed (i.e. a functional assumption that there is a real world). That's why we "know" that jumping off of the roof is probably going to hurt us even if we've never done it before.
Zetherin

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 07:40 am
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
I don't really agree with either your or his point here -- I can't prove you wrong in reality, but the converse is true -- the "proof" that there is no objective world is only logical, and not demonstrable.

Our "observations" are collective in a way, too. We learn from parents, family, school, etc, about both specifics and generalities about the world that we have not observed ourselves. In this way we share an immensely complex, intertwined collection that makes reality far more expansive than our direct observations.

Furthermore, our lives depend on a very high degree of assumption about consistency within the world and the truth of things we haven't observed (i.e. a functional assumption that there is a real world). That's why we "know" that jumping off of the roof is probably going to hurt us even if we've never done it before.

That's right - neither theory can be proven. I think he was just addressing his, that's all. Either way, I enjoy discussing the matter.

As for my thoughts, we assume others' realities are similar (that is, we assume that jumping off the building for another person will yield the same results), but we cannot prove this. All we have to go off of is our individual reality. The things we learn in school are merely assumptions of a general reality (as you note), though I'm not convinced one exists.

In theory jumping off the building may yield the same results for every human, ie. every human may die. BUT, the key here is that because there is no universal reality, the reality of jumping off the cliff for a particular individual may not even exist. So, the fall off the cliff just didn't exist for that person. Even though in theory it is a possibility, since it isn't part of the individual's reality, it means nothing. This, of course, implies the absence of free will. :poke-eye:

Of course, I logically understand your argument and also understand that the details I've written probably don't make any sense without seeing through my perspective. What I've written probably seems so abstract and out there, it holds little ground.
Aedes

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 08:30 am
@Zetherin,
Your argument makes sense logically, but is that the end point of this discussion? I mean that explanation, while logically sound, is so discrepant with every practical aspect of our life that it hardly seems to matter. I mean aren't there other ways of conceptualizing reality in parallel that better explains how we interface with the things outside our consciousness (or, if you like, the things our consciousness thinks are outside our consciousness)?
paulhanke

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 08:56 am
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon wrote:
... whether or not an instrument can examine itself (by which I mean, determine its own nature, define itself, understand itself), which it seems certain to me, it cannot. The point of this, in case someone forgot, is to prove that a scientific interpretation of individual consciousness is not possible. If you counter by saying that correlation between brain function and people's behavior or statements is such, you have fortgotten the main point again; a correspondence deals not at all with the actual experience of living as an individual, but rather with the observation of an individual by another.

... then it seems to me the answer is a pretty straightforward "no" ... if you disallow the self from understanding its own nature through the observation of others of its kind to include those whose consciousness has been negatively impacted (by brain damage or whatever) thus exposing the architecture of consciousness, then there is nothing for science to work with here ... you can observe yourself, but no-one else can independently reproduce these observations of yourself and trying to generalize from just these observations results in just-so stories - at best, that's pseudo-science ...
Aedes

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 09:00 am
@paulhanke,
Paul, I agree with you except for the last part about Freud. He, like others (Jung in particular) systematically collected information in a controlled way from thousands of subjects. So while each individual subject may have been a mere anecdote, the use of thousands of subjects allows for generalization. That's not pseudoscience -- that's science at its best.
paulhanke

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 09:09 am
@Aedes,
... while some would tend to disagree (Freud's theories explain everything and predict nothing to any degree of accuracy), "Freud-like" has been stricken from the record Wink ...
Aedes

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 09:18 am
@paulhanke,
Freud's conclusions and emphases are what people disagree with. NOT his methods, which again were science at its best.

Furthermore, he made immense contributions not just to psychology and psychiatry but also to philosophy. He was the first to systematically describe how the conscious human is not fundamentally rational. This was something that had already been explored in depth by the likes of Nietzsche and Dostoyevsky.

But to provide evidence for it, to show how there are vying, competing forces in our minds that can overwhelm our rational aspect was a truly immense breakthrough, perhaps the greatest of all developments in the entire history of the human self-image. And that was quite simply done through methodical data collection, not with armchair meditation.
Zetherin

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 09:32 am
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
Your argument makes sense logically, but is that the end point of this discussion? I mean that explanation, while logically sound, is so discrepant with every practical aspect of our life that it hardly seems to matter. I mean aren't there other ways of conceptualizing reality in parallel that better explains how we interface with the things outside our consciousness (or, if you like, the things our consciousness thinks are outside our consciousness)?

Yes, there are other ways of conceptualizing reality, and all I was doing was sharing my thoughts. Honestly, I don't really like to say any is better, as I don't have a firm grasp on what consciousness even is. Perhaps after years of research, experience, and perseverance, I will come to a theory I feel is best (yes, I'm aware I may sound contradictory as I sounded steadfast in my initial thoughts, but that's just my excitement getting the best of me! I apologize for this.). However, in doing so, I will be defying the motto I live by: Always consider.

The main point I wanted to address was that your argument with Bright just involved different theories, and none are inherently better (in my eyes, at least). Additionally, it seemed you agreed with eachother on some points, but semantics created misunderstanding. I love when others share ideas, but when there is clash, it isn't necessarily being productive, and I felt your discussion was creating bitterness.
0 Replies