FullMetal Alchemist

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 09:27 am
Just been thinking about the symbolism within one of my favorite animes Full Metal Alchemist, and I felt like getting the thoughts down on "paper".
In almost every second of this series you can spot ideas that relate to the basic truths of life, but I have just noticed a few in particular.
There is the obvious attachment to life and rejection of death, and the relationships with others that the show emphasizes. But deeper down there are things that just ring true to me, but maybe I am just interpreting too freely, either way here are my thoughts.

1) The running premise of the show is the alchemy, the ability to reach in and change what is. But IRL we do have an amount of control, and we do affect the world around us, just not in such a direct manner.
2) The humiguli are creations of our tampering, the power we try to contrive over what is, I use we as in what ALL humans may do. The actions we make always have a consequence whether large or small, and to grow we must overcome them.
3)I dont want to include a spoiler but for those who have watched the series, there is a certain part where our youth are changed, into a chimeran creature. This never stood out to me, I felt the emotion and the scene the first time I saw it, but it has struck me different now that I see the world. It almost symbolizes the change that the populace has taken that allows this NWO machine to fester unseen, it gives me chills when I watched the scene and noticed.
4)Edwards mechanical arm: Sort of a culmination of all the technology we impart to create as much control as possible. With his arm Ed is unstoppable, but it usually breaks down, but once stripped of it the human that Ed is uses the cunning of intelligence to do what his arm couldnt.

just a buncha stoned thoughts on a great, provoking series. If you havent seen it yet, watch it, its best to let it speak for itself.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,201 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Patty phil

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 02:44 am
@PfatBudz,
I was bedridden once, I watched Full Metal Alchemist and finished it in two days. So many twists, and yeah, you could get alot from this film I just didn't get ending that much.
0 Replies