Independence day cheesy?

quinn1

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 12:29 pm
I like ID4, in fact it was the first movie I purchased when I went to that whole new thing called DVD. Mostly I like having the most adorable men all gathered together but, it was funny as well and that was good too. I also adore Lake Placid...so shoot me. We all have different tastes.
For its time, yes it was on the edge. It brought about just enough in special effects without having it be a really bad Godzilla movie years to come but not enough to be Matrix...what the heck do want?
The speech Pullman gave as president may not have been to film critics as empowering and deftly portrayed as say oh ... Mel Gibson where his army moons everyone...however, it was a nice speech considering the movie, and I give Pullman his props.
There are a great many more movies out there that, IMO, should be voted as most cheesy...how bout that Powers guy?...but, I dont think this is one of them. Im not even going to bother going to see the list as I think it will lead me to believe the guy just has opposite taste as me. Maybe hes one of the critics I like to read to know if I should go see a film or not..you know the ones...they thought it was terrible...I think it was worth the price of admission, if nothing else.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 01:35 pm
The Austen Powers film are suppose to be cheesy -- they are parodies of 60's and 70's James Bond and other spy thrillers (with a little Beach Blanket Bingo and other movies subject to lampooning).

ID4 is entertaining for what it is and definitely loses most of its impact on the small screen. The dialogue is corny in spots but, after all, it has a tongue-in-cheek intention just as much as Austen Powers. It's also an homage to those old alien invasion films of the 50's and 60's -- they had limited special effects technology and this was an updating of the effects, not an updating of the genre.
0 Replies