Independence day cheesy?

kev

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 03:03 am
According to Empire magazine the bill pullman "call to arms" speech has been voted the most "cheesy" of all time. For me the entire film was one of the biggest stinkers of all time.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/3235051.stm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,067 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 03:59 am
I'd say that this Pullman fellow doesn't have very good taste in films. I really enjoyed several on his top 10 list.
0 Replies

kev

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 05:06 am
Butrfynet,

The way I wrote that it was perhaps ambiguous, Bill Pullman was the actor who played the part of the president in the film "Independence day"
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 05:17 am
Okay, but I was speaking of the article you cited with the link. My opinion of the films in the top 10 list and the author's taste in films doesn't change.

But thanks for letting me know that's the actor's name. Just substitute the word magazine for Pullman in my earlier post.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 05:55 am
I agree - it was a major stinker.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 06:00 am
And with the others - except Four Weddings - which I loved!

Robin Williams kills me - give me his stand-up cocaine days! He was so wonderful - so manic - loved him! But his films are awful. Sigh. Like almost everything Whoopie Goldberg has done in film - what is it with these brilliant comics?
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 06:05 am
Them aliens really need to update their anti virus software....
0 Replies

kev

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 06:18 am
Gautam wrote:
Them aliens really need to update their anti virus software....
Mr. Green

I cant say here what I said when Jeff Goldblum working on his laptop announced "we're in" Groan
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 06:22 am
Jeff - now there is a man who loves to be in a bad film!
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 06:33 am
dlowan wrote:
Jeff - now there is a man who loves to be in a bad film!

I loved him in Jurassic Park I
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 06:38 am
he was kind of cute at that - "I am always looking for a new ex-Mrs Malcolm..."
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 07:06 am
He was so deliciously pretentious !!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 07:20 am
"Life will find a way..."
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 10:36 am
"Independence Day" came off for me as nothing more than a parody of the 50's alien invasion films, specifically "Earth Vs. the Flying Saucers." There was a unabashedly trite appeal to American patriotism which many right wing politicians just drooled over. As far as a special effect extravaganza on the big screen, it was like a roller coast ride where the elevations of the drops were lowered considerably on the second ride. On the small screen, it's completely flattened. The teeny bopper, specifically young male, crowd kept going back for more making it big box office. Reviewing it is like reviewing any mediocre film -- it quickly becomes tiresome trying to come up with sufficient barbs. Anyone who got an adrenalin rush the first time they saw it should not be ashamed. The script was a pop pulp sci-fi topped off my Pullman's ridiculous Presidential sound bites (which now sound like someone we all know).
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 11:02 am
I have to admit I have seen none of the listed films, the last film I really enjoyed was "Fargo"
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 12:53 pm
Fine film...
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 09:42 pm
Independence Day certainly cannot bear much scrutiny, but seen in the right light (as Lightwizard suggests, perhaps only for the adrenalin rush) it fits neatly into a catagory I like to call "Big Dumb Fun", even though the right wingers may have it filed under "documentary". Other examples in the Big Dumb Fun catagory are The Mummy and Titanic.

Not every movie can achieve Big Dumb Fun-ness, even if that is all it aspires to. Armageddon has been mentioned; Lara Croft, Tomb Raider is another that is just as dreadful.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2003 09:52 am
You've hit the right notes, Greyfan. There's a file box in my brain for all these guilty pleasures that aren't meant to stimulate any great thoughts but provide some fun entertainment. Taking them seriously is funnier than the films themselves. "Armageddon" was simply a drudgery -- the actors even seemed to slog through the movie. These bad action/sci-fi/fantasy films are a lot of noise with the inspiration of video games and music videos and even judged by that standard they fail aesthetically and as good movies. "ID4" had a very good production design, great CGI and a controlled momentum that kept it's wheels on. Ditto "Titantic" and "The Mummy" even though both of the original "A Night to Remember" and "The Mummy" (with Karloff) have more merit. If they want to show off their new toys they should learn how to show them off like Peter Jackson is doing with LOTR (and consider the source -- a wealth of imagination and invention). "ID4" doesn't hold up to repeated viewings --it's wheels begin to squeak and especially if one has seen the 50's sci-fi invaders camp films it is based on. It should be considered as a sister film to "Mars Attacks!" and as a take-off it's actually more successful.

Loved Gautam's comment about the aliens updating their software. Where's Norton and McAfee when you need them? Laughing
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2003 09:57 am
(Of course, the "virus" ending the alien invasion was borrowed from "The War of the Worlds").
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 11:17 am
this is the first movie which i saw at an advanced screening so that really enhanced the movie for me. saw it for free, the movie was introduced by a sony executive, watched it with a young energetic demographic, it was 2 weeks before it was released in theaters, and you go in with no expectations. advanced screenings are really the best movie experiences. i also saw the blair witch project before everybody found it was a hoax and that was great as well.
0 Replies