Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 06:14 pm

to be clearer from my last post

there were multiple gods rather than A god in Ancient history

the bible is a paraphrase of Ancient history
0 Replies

Jerry954878

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2012 12:39 am
@Victor Eremita,
To the second question, no one can answer that solely due to the fact that we all have our dreams and desires. The right way to live for Adolph Hitler wasn't right to me, but it was to him, so yes it is an unanswerable question due to the obscurity of it's nature. For Three, I simply say, what you?
Fido

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2012 06:58 am
@Jerry954878,
Jerry954878 wrote:

To the second question, no one can answer that solely due to the fact that we all have our dreams and desires. The right way to live for Adolph Hitler wasn't right to me, but it was to him, so yes it is an unanswerable question due to the obscurity of it's nature. For Three, I simply say, what you?
This is a bold generalization... I am reading a book now about Serial Killers; and I can assure that there are hollow men out there, and perhaps many hollow women, and very likely a lot of them... Ted Bundy, for one sucked up talk radio, and also worked on a crisis hotline... He was a sponge to other people's conversations as much as their troubles, and eventually to their lives... Some people have no emotions, deams or desires as such, but feed upon ours, and thrive by turning them to ****...
Fido

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2012 07:55 am
@Fido,
Let me, dear ones, make an addition here... I am no psychologist, nor sociologist... Most of my knowledge on that subject is hardly knowledge, but is in the nature of lint picked up while on the move... Still, as recent reading has suggested, Psychopaths are much more common in the business world, and perhaps in the world of politics and in the military because these all have common elements, at least in leadership positions -of often demanding a heartless approach, and a supply of excitment for the easily bored psychopath...

Another element of psychopathology that has become evident to me recently, is the extent to which the various lines between reality and unreality can be blurred for the psychopath...To an extent, we all hang our private thoughts out in a public forum, and this has become relatively normal and expected, and this is not to what I refer...

For psychopaths, the line between art and life, between the private and the public, between fiction and fact, between fantasy and reality may well be less than boundries... If you take from a person what every psychopath seems to lack, which is the emotions that so characterize our inner existence, then there really is no boundry between the life they know within, and that which they see without...

We share our thought because we cannot share our emotion no matter how much we reveal them... Music is different from all art in that it can make us feel without an object to reason upon... The music of emotion is missing from many lives, and from my perspective, that is to say they have no life at all worthy of the term; and in addition, though we may elect such people or follow them to hell, they will never experience their lives or deaths as most of us do- simply because they cannot conceive of life through their emotions...

Just an aside... Thanks
0 Replies

bulldogcoma

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2012 04:26 pm
@Aedes,
Personally, I believe Camus only stated this question to engender the thought of those who took the time to ponder it. He also stated that suicide is the only philosophical question he was concerned with. This being the case, the question would be subliminally rhetorical by forcing someone to ponder purpose in life, which seems to be the purpose of all philosophical argumentation. By stating it like this, he takes an approach that brings the individual to a internal crossroads. Instead of teaching someone something he is attempting to get someone to discover an answer on their own. Sneaky, yet very wise.
0 Replies

KantStop

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 12:51 am
I know you want questions instead of answers, so I'll phrase an answer of mine as a question. How can it be know that our purpose isn't to grow into beings of peace out of beings of strife? Afterall, society is constantly recognizing our own appalling behavior. Sacrifice, domination through war, spread of religion through war, slavery. Some just see it before others. The more who believe this, the closer it gets to becoming a reality.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 11:08 am
@KantStop,
Human nature will not allow it.
Fido

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 11:47 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

And it is easier to change the climate of the earth than to change human behavior...
north

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 03:32 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

cicerone imposter wrote:

And it is easier to change the climate of the earth than to change human behavior...

woohhh , don't know about that cicerone , the climate is a very complex dynamic as well

I would say equal

but anyway I agree though , it is tough , very tough, to change Human behaviour

especially since religions are involved
Procrustes

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 11:24 pm
@north,
I think some humans have the knack to change human behaviour... and most of them are in advertising Wink
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 11:33 pm
@Procrustes,
When you go to the store, do you hear the product you're looking at saying "buy me?" LOL
Procrustes

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 11:48 pm
@cicerone imposter,
No, but sometimes they have signs saying the exact same thing... Wink
0 Replies

L8R G8R

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2012 10:42 am
@TickTockMan,
The real question is: With the evidence we have (science, scipture), who has more to lose? The atheist, or the God fearing man? We all die, and no one lives forever. If you say there is no God...., then what if youre wrong?... Scary thought... I wouldn't take my chances with eternity.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2012 10:56 am
@L8R G8R ,
Why is it scary? With life comes death and taxes. Almost all life forms die sooner or later. That's nature in a nutshell. BTW, many infants die at birth or within their first year of life. Just count your blessings that you lived a much longer life. Many humans don't value life much; they commit suicide.

It's all personal perception, and religious thinking that creates fear of dying.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2012 07:47 pm
@Procrustes,
Procrustes wrote:

I think some humans have the knack to change human behaviour... and most of them are in advertising Wink
no. Advertizers take advantage of human behavior they understand, and their victims do not!
0 Replies

AlexanderTheMonkey

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2012 06:41 am
@TickTockMan,
I think, it would stand to reason that: If 'man' can be said to have a nature, it's his 'purpose' (with respect to the spirit of the quandary) to act in accord with that nature.
The question then, is what is the nature of man. I would argue that his nature is to find & arrange rhythms, harmonies or whatever form of pattern perceived. I site, for support, the very structure of his brain; this is, in effect, how neorons operate.
In other words, man strives for beauty, in whatever form he perceives it.
0 Replies

AlexanderTheMonkey

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2012 07:01 am
@L8R G8R ,
The question of eternal life does nothing to address the question of meaning in life, which is what you're attaching it to. (Something to lose)

As for god fearing, you're presupposing that one explanation of a god you should fear is more plausible than any other.
For example, perhaps the real god ONLY condemns those who fear him.

That might sound laughable at face value, but give it some thought. I suspect your misconception is rooted in confusion as to what you are, and how you exist; once you answer these questions, the notion that some god should care, this way or that, what it is you do, will seem, I suspect, absurd.
Fido

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2012 01:38 pm
@AlexanderTheMonkey,
AlexanderTheMonkey wrote:

The question of eternal life does nothing to address the question of meaning in life, which is what you're attaching it to. (Something to lose)

As for god fearing, you're presupposing that one explanation of a god you should fear is more plausible than any other.
For example, perhaps the real god ONLY condemns those who fear him.

That might sound laughable at face value, but give it some thought. I suspect your misconception is rooted in confusion as to what you are, and how you exist; once you answer these questions, the notion that some god should care, this way or that, what it is you do, will seem, I suspect, absurd.
Take it from the dog... Asking about the meaning of life is like asking about the wetness of water... No life equals no meaning... Some life equals some meaning... A good life has good meaning...
0 Replies

Procrustes

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2012 07:45 am
@AlexanderTheMonkey,
Why is immortality so prized in culture? Regardless of the god concept, I think this is what's really at the crux of what we're talking about.
Fido

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2012 12:50 pm
@Procrustes,
Procrustes wrote:

Why is immortality so prized in culture? Regardless of the god concept, I think this is what's really at the crux of what we're talking about.
Why is death so feared??? Usually death follows some great pain; but it takes all meaning, and while people can imagine and even accept great pain they cannot accept or even imagine a world without the meaning their life gives to all the stuff of life..