Star Trek 11

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 01:55 am
Anyone excited? It looks good; but that's hardly an indiciation of success. Plus, I can imagine all the hardcore Trekkies nitpicking this movie to no end, like they did with UPN's Enterprise.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,457 • Replies: 11
No top replies

VideCorSpoon

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 01:44 pm
@Victor Eremita,
To be honest, I've never really seen the Star Trek series in full, but just a few episodes here and there. But I have to say the ones I have seen were really good. But I have managed to see all the ST movies, and I have to say that I have mixed feelings about the new movie. The movies were either really good or really bad. Not to mention the St movies faced the same problem the James Bond series ran into. Same guy, same old story.

Something tells me that the movie is going to be more about fan recollection more than new dynamic content. Though they have entirely new people (and I read that William Shatner was really piffed about not getting any role in the movie), fanboys are indeed going to pick that movie apart becuase when a series gains a momentum like that, the fans will never be happy.
SummyF

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 09:07 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon;24447 wrote:
To be honest, I've never really seen the Star Trek series in full, but just a few episodes here and there. But I have to say the ones I have seen were really good. But I have managed to see all the ST movies, and I have to say that I have mixed feelings about the new movie. The movies were either really good or really bad. Not to mention the St movies faced the same problem the James Bond series ran into. Same guy, same old story.

Something tells me that the movie is going to be more about fan recollection more than new dynamic content. Though they have entirely new people (and I read that William Shatner was really piffed about not getting any role in the movie), fanboys are indeed going to pick that movie apart becuase when a series gains a momentum like that, the fans will never be happy.

Did you know that George town has a 400 level philosophy class, entitled star trek and philosophy Laughing
VideCorSpoon

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 09:33 pm
@SummyF,
Thats actually pretty interesting. My school had a few classes like that, like "Philosophy and the Matrix," which was probably post modern philosophy with a catchy name and theme. To tell the truth, I think that is the best way to entice new students into philosophy. Maybe starwars or battlestar is more contemporary though.

The georgetown class was probably a senior void course or something like that. God... I loved those classes. Hardly ever an exam, good readings, and good discussions.
0 Replies

OctoberMist

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 11:42 pm
@Victor Eremita,
Victor Eremita said:

Quote:

Anyone excited? It looks good; but that's hardly an indiciation of success. Plus, I can imagine all the hardcore Trekkies nitpicking this movie to no end, like they did with UPN's Enterprise.
To be honest, I'm not especially looking forward to it for several reasons:

1) Why does Paramount keep trying to go backwards in the series?

I'm not a hardcore Trekker by any stretch of the imagination, but the UPN version was a joke (in addition to its terrible writing) in that it tried to re-write the ST universe in a new way.

There is a reason the old series worked and the subsequent series, up to the point of Enterprise worked: they followed a master plan introduced by Roddenburry. The timeline made sense.

Going backwards and writing the history is simply ridiculous.

2) Connected to #1, it seems that Paramount has so little faith in it's writers that it's going back because it's afraid to take a chance on a new concept. All over the Web there are thousands of fans who have written all manner of interesting new senarios that could take place in the ST universe.

This trend of trying to re-make old movies with new technology is quite sad, IMHO. It's cheap in concept. What it says to me is: "We're too stupid or afraid to come up with something new so we're going to try to prop up our old product and just dress it up with a bunch of bells and whistles."

To give an analogy, this would be like Ford bringing back the Model T, only now it's made of high-density plastic and has a built-in Ipod.

I doubt I will see it in the theater.

3) Also relating to #1, I think fans are interested in seeing the NEXT version of ST (eg. after the DS9 and Voyager series). All sorts of interesting characters, technology, and plots were advanced in those.
This old stuff is nothing new. It's a re-animated corpse and deserves to be buried IMHO.
0 Replies

Victor Eremita

Reply Sat 2 May, 2009 07:50 pm
@Victor Eremita,
Well, Star Trek is coming out in theatres next week. Will give a review soon!
0 Replies

VideCorSpoon

Reply Sat 2 May, 2009 10:50 pm
@Victor Eremita,
It's already out in torrent form right now. Bad quality though. probably best to see it in the theaters. It's like the wolverine production cut. just the same as watching the movie on dvd but a lot of the special effects are not there. you see it and end up kicking yourself for blowing the fully done surprise.
0 Replies

Victor Eremita

Reply Sat 2 May, 2009 11:26 pm
@Victor Eremita,
I see. Star Trek, James Bond, and Lord of the Rings are the few movies I must see in opening weekend.
0 Replies

Bones-O

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 03:11 pm
@Victor Eremita,
Hmmm. On the negative... I'm one of the few JJ Abrahms naysayers. Origins films are almost always terrible. Kirk looks like a teenaged boy. Pegg looks like he'll be really bad.

On the positive, I'm hugely encouraged by the visual continuity with the series. The first time I saw a still from the film and noticed the short skirts I thumped the air and shouted YES! and not for prurient reasons. It suggests a respect for the original series. I hope the story follows suit. I just wish Kirk looked a little older. Most other characters have been well cast.
0 Replies

Bones-O

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 01:23 pm
@Victor Eremita,
So... anyone check it out yet? I saw it last night and really liked it.
0 Replies

Victor Eremita

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 03:32 am
@Victor Eremita,
Ugh..... Star Trek.
0 Replies

The Dude phil phil

Reply Wed 20 May, 2009 05:44 pm
@Victor Eremita,
I dug it. I didn't expect much going in to see it, but it was a fresh movie, and I'm not a trekkie.
0 Replies