When will it ever be time for the human race to move on without the existence of god?

Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 12:53 pm
@paulhanke,
And the Bible isn't just one sort of literature. We find creation stories, moral tales, historical legend (like the Iliad)...

Objections to the Bible based on history or science miss the point of the text. I cannot think of one book in the Bible which would be appropriately criticized by history or science.

We can criticize the Bible - that's easy enough. But the criticisms need to come from a spiritual perspective as the texts are scripture.
paulhanke

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 01:19 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
We can criticize the Bible - that's easy enough. But the criticisms need to come from a spiritual perspective as the texts are scripture.

... okay, sounds good ... so it's just the interpreters of the Bible that should be criticized from a historical and/or scientific standpoint? (for example, when a Biblical interpreter starts making assertions regarding the historical accuracy of the Bible and/or assertions that certain scientific theories are wrong based upon contradictory passages in the Bible) ...
Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 01:24 pm
@paulhanke,
Oh yes - absolutely! When we find people insisting upon literal interpretations of the Bible, correct them. Which is easy enough.
No0ne

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 05:14 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Oh yes - absolutely! When we find people insisting upon literal interpretations of the Bible, correct them. Which is easy enough.

All interpretation's are people's perception of what they mean...

The problem is that "god's" perception is lost, because man has used man's own.

Sadly perception is normaly lost in translation.

Also it dosnt help that anyone using the Holy Bible to preach or teach, they pick and choose, just like a butcher pick's the best meat to sell to everyone els:rolleyes:, hence people dont read the Holy Bible like a book, they all got there spot's in it where they quote. (hence searching for the best quote for the task that you have at hand.)

People support such transaltion's and added perception's of what was ment even literal interpretation's, due to the fact they say the revulation's have come from "god".

Na really?:cool:

(Also for the human race to move on, everone would have to stop talking to that voice in there head:rolleyes:)

(If anyone speak's to some voice's in your head that are not your's, ask them to tell you somthing you dont know;))

(Example, I have never been down that street, nor have I seen anything on that street, what is one of there addresses and color of there carpet?)

I'm sure, such a "god" would answer if you asked with humble and pure intent, for if such would tell you the answer, how much more greatly would you devote your self and thought's to such a "god", well that "god" would know you would do such so greatly, so that would be a "Good" reason why such a "god" would tell you, but then what would be a reason why such would not?:rolleyes:
0 Replies

de Silentio

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 05:49 pm
@socrato,
socrato wrote:

Life was formed by a "protein formula" involving simple chemicals like oxygen, carbon, nitrogen, hydrogen, and ammonia. It also involves the sun and lightning. These chemicals create amino acids which are the basic structures of life. Eventually tiny organisms are formed and evolve over time to create big animals like humans.

That's a nice theory. But remember, it's only a theory. However, it does seem like the most plausible theory to date.

In any case, I don't think the creation of life as you outlined it negates the existence of a God.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 06:54 pm
@de Silentio,
Quote:
All interpretation's are people's perception of what they mean...

So what? We can still discuss these interpretations - we can even discuss a particular approach to the text, like a literal interpretation.

Quote:
The problem is that "god's" perception is lost, because man has used man's own.

What is this "God's perception"? How could a book, written by men, be 'God's perspective'? If someone can answer that question, then we can move onto this idea that God has a perspective and other tendencies to anthropomorphize God.

Quote:
Also it dosnt help that anyone using the Holy Bible to preach or teach, they pick and choose, just like a butcher pick's the best meat to sell to everyone els, hence people dont read the Holy Bible like a book, they all got there spot's in it where they quote. (hence searching for the best quote for the task that you have at hand.)

I'm sure some do exactly what you describe - but so what? Luckily, we are capable of actually reading and studying the text.
0 Replies

astrotheological

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 11:38 am
@socrato,
socrato wrote:
The idea of a god or gods was definitely a clever invention. In fact it could be said that it is the best invention made if you consider it to be an invention. Look at what the idea of god has lead to today. People today have been influenced by the morals and commandments from religions in order to do good and not to do bad. Without that society would not be able to function the way it can today.

Society has continued to advance in technology, work together in helping the poor, share resources with other countries and much more.

Although when you look at the downsides of these beliefs don't you think that it is time for the world to move on without their religious beliefs. I'm not talking about discontinuing the morals and commandments that has allowed our society to function as it is. I'm talking about looking at things logically and scientifically and not religiously and spiritually(involving the almighty power of god to help answer the unkown). For example, when someone says that god created life, the earth, and the sun obviously that cannot be true because there are scientific reasons as to how they were created.

Life was formed by a "protein formula" involving simple chemicals like oxygen, carbon, nitrogen, hydrogen, and ammonia. It also involves the sun and lightning. These chemicals create amino acids which are the basic structures of life. Eventually tiny organisms are formed and evolve over time to create big animals like humans.

Also an issue that has lasted for centuries is the fight for the control over gods chosen land.(Jerusalem) The Christians, Jews, and Islams should not have to be reminded that god wouldn't have wanted them to fight and cause a war in the first place.

I also believe that it is time for the human race to move on because if we have to use god as an excuse to make us follow the ten commandments then in the eyes of god we are still children. Its time that humans grow up and end all of this war.
Holiday20310401

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 11:47 am
@astrotheological,
:drinking:

I believe we are helpless to grow up.

... Ok that was rather blunt but it gets the idea across.
astrotheological

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 03:10 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401 wrote:
:emoticon for throwing up:

I believe we are helpless to grow up.

... Ok that was rather blunt but it gets the idea across.

Yah I agree that it is almost impossible for humans to grow up. They will always need spiritual guidance and religious beliefs to make them do what is good for all humans.
astrotheological

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 02:02 pm
@astrotheological,
Besides religion will never stop because it takes in billions of dollars. You know its amazing how gullable humans are. No offence.
Zetetic11235

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 03:24 pm
@astrotheological,
I beieve you would be one who might take offense at that, unless you are not a human. You like to make broad generalizations that aren't really true and very narrow minded. You remind me of a fellow I know named Bobby down to the T. Even the 911 truth thing.
astrotheological

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 06:18 pm
@Zetetic11235,
Zetetic11235 wrote:
I beieve you would be one who might take offense at that, unless you are not a human. You like to make broad generalizations that aren't really true and very narrow minded. You remind me of a fellow I know named Bobby down to the T. Even the 911 truth thing.

What was Bobby like?
I don't make broad generalizations that aren't true.
I support everything with other facts and possiblities.
0 Replies

Richardgrant

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 06:03 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
Spirituality can certainly be held without god or formalized religion. All spirituality requires is a sense of the sublime.

That said, I'd ask in response to the original question whether it really matters. Humans are a whole lot more animal than they are logical computer. We're always going to find something irrational to place at the core of our lives. Doesn't really matter if it's god or not.

Yes Aedes, we are fast approaching the stage where spirituality and science are coming together as one, where we will no longer need to use the word god or love. for every thing that happens unhappens simultaneously where there is only this moment in the here and now which is eternity.
iconoclast

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 12:08 pm
@Richardgrant,
socrato and all,

The year 1632, but it didn't happen. We went down the wrong path, and now we're *** No Swearing ***! We subjected science to the fantastic ideas upholding the religious hierarchy of the time - called science shameful and made truth a sin, and so have used science as a tool - and ignored it as a rule ever since. We failed to recognize the huge value of being able to establish valid knowledge of reality, and decided to live in relation to fairy-tale myths of how things are. And so we live at odds with reality - 7 billion of us, all dreaming the dream of God in heaven, nation state and limitless capitalist wealth - killing eachother over fairy tales, lines drawn in the sand, while stripping the world bare of that which sustains us. I think it's too late now to avoid the unhappy ending where everyone dies. The only question is which of the monsters we've created will get us? The energy crisis between nations armed with nuclear weapons? Climate change? Over-population and environmental degradation? Some, or all of these - we missed it, and have now gone so far down the wrong path we can't avoid the abyss. So I say end it. Let's have that global thermonuclear war - burn the planet to a crisp. We know it's going nowhere, so let's pick a date, hit the big red button and let 70,000 nuclear weapons trace parabolas of death across the sky. At least we will have made a decision - rather than getting dragged along by stupid ideas like an idiot chasing a windblown balloon, who falls to his death. Let's jump!

iconoclast.
Richardgrant

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 03:41 pm
@iconoclast,
Hi Iconoclast, I just love the way each of us see the same thing different, I look out on the same world as you and see it as a true reflection of my own consciousness, and love what I see, as I open up to who I am it just gets better and better.
iconoclast

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 04:08 pm
@Richardgrant,
Richardgrant,

How's the weather? It's lousy here. Pyssed it down all summer long. If it was 70 degrees all the bluddy time, and I lived five minuets from the beach I'd flatter myself that the world was a reflection of my consciouness aswell. Mind you, looking out on the grey filth of the rain soaked streets of London - maybe it is! If only my ancestors had been less upstanding!!

iconoclast.
astrotheological

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 04:43 pm
@iconoclast,
Its too bad that the human race did not see the belief in god as a delusion because that is what it is. The problem is though that then people won't care to follow the ten commandments.:brickwall:
Justin

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 07:26 am
@astrotheological,
iconoclast wrote:
The year 1632, but it didn't happen. We went down the wrong path, and now we're ***NO SWEARING***! We subjected science to the fantastic ideas upholding the religious hierarchy of the time - called science shameful and made truth a sin, and so have used science as a tool - and ignored it as a rule ever since. We failed to recognize the huge value of being able to establish valid knowledge of reality, and decided to live in relation to fairy-tale myths of how things are. And so we live at odds with reality - 7 billion of us, all dreaming the dream of God in heaven, nation state and limitless capitalist wealth - killing eachother over fairy tales, lines drawn in the sand, while stripping the world bare of that which sustains us. I think it's too late now to avoid the unhappy ending where everyone dies. The only question is which of the monsters we've created will get us? The energy crisis between nations armed with nuclear weapons? Climate change?

First of all, no need at all for the barracks language and it was edited. This isn't a sailors forum it's a philosophy forum. Take it easy with the language and consider that someday your great grand children will be reading this.

Icono, that's one way to look at it. Keep in mind we can all have a look at the same apple and yet we'd describe it differently. You describe it from your own perception of it. It's going to reflect back that which you reflect into. The thing is, each of us have an autonomous view of life... Our own Philosophy! Our philosophy, which could be considered the "Sum of what we know" and our knowing expressed in our physical reality.

There's a lot going on in this world and it sort of all leads to the topic of this thread as much of the world is under the impression of a God or deity beyond and far-off. They come in all shapes and sizes and can even heal. My point is that man has created the existence of God therefore why could he not live without God?

As for the the time when man will be ready to live without the existence of a God is when man discovers that existence within himself and all creation.

The difficulty in this is the understanding of the greatest unknown questions of all time and all the time we're seeking answers in something other than where that answer will be found. We interpret our being as something we must cloth, shave, create, sell, show which is the physical perception of who we are. When man discovers that the divine light of God and universal creation shines within each and every man and we are not prodigal sons, we just are.

Man, over many of years has continually grown and evolved and has gone through changes through the ages. In each age and each stage of life man's come closer to the all knowing of a God but continues to idolize myth and tradition which separates man from God and man from man. I think that man will eventually come to discover that we've placed our identity in our ego and not within ourselves.

Until man transcends the physical world into the spiritual world that man is, man will need the myth of a God partly to take the blame off of each man as he creates his world.

Back to Iconoclast - if you and I see the world as a dismal place it will return our reflection back to us. Our perception of our every day and our here and now, can only go together as we see it fit and no other way. Everything outside of man will rearrange itself to fit the perception of the man who thinks. This goes into the fundamentals of positive thinking and attitude. Thoughts are things. There is nothing created without thought first and we are in full control to the extent of our knowing we are in full control.

iconoclast wrote:
Richardgrant,

How's the weather? It's *** BAD WORD*** lousy here. Pyssed it down all summer long. If it was 70 degrees all the bluddy time, and I lived five minuets from the beach I'd flatter myself that the world was a reflection of my consciouness aswell. Mind you, looking out on the grey filth of the rain soaked streets of London - maybe it is! If only my ancestors had been less upstanding!!

One can find peace in the middle of a storm. One can find happiness confined to life in a jail cell. One can find positive things in the world if he or she chooses.

When man rises past the blaming of things of the physical world for all that is wrong with the man, and instead fixes those thoughts that bring bring it all into physical reality, then man can live without the deity of a fictitious God. Until then, we have someone or something to blame and we can have some faith that eventually God will sort it out. God will sort it out when man sorts it out. Until that time, the blind man will just keep blaming God, worshiping God and having faith.
0 Replies

MITech

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 01:11 pm
@socrato,
socrato wrote:
The idea of a god or gods was definitely a clever invention. In fact it could be said that it is the best invention made if you consider it to be an invention. Look at what the idea of god has lead to today. People today have been influenced by the morals and commandments from religions in order to do good and not to do bad. Without that society would not be able to function the way it can today. Society has continued to advance in technology, work together in helping the poor, share resources with other countries and much more.

Although when you look at the downsides of these beliefs don't you think that it is time for the world to move on without their religious beliefs. I'm not talking about discontinuing the morals and commandments that has allowed our society to function as it is. I'm talking about looking at things logically and scientifically and not religiously and spiritually(involving the almighty power of god to help answer the unkown). For example, when someone says that god created life, the earth, and the sun obviously that cannot be true because there are scientific reasons as to how they were created.

Also an issue that has lasted for centuries is the fight for the control over gods chosen land.(Jerusalem) The Christians, Jews, and Islams should not have to be reminded that god wouldn't have wanted them to fight and cause a war in the first place.

I couldn't agree more with you. Go to atheistic quotes.
0 Replies