When will it ever be time for the human race to move on without the existence of god?

socrato

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 02:18 pm
The idea of a god or gods was definitely a clever invention. In fact it could be said that it is the best invention made if you consider it to be an invention. Look at what the idea of god has lead to today. People today have been influenced by the morals and commandments from religions in order to do good and not to do bad. Without that society would not be able to function the way it can today. Society has continued to advance in technology, work together in helping the poor, share resources with other countries and much more.

Although when you look at the downsides of these beliefs don't you think that it is time for the world to move on without their religious beliefs. I'm not talking about discontinuing the morals and commandments that has allowed our society to function as it is. I'm talking about looking at things logically and scientifically and not religiously and spiritually(involving the almighty power of god to help answer the unkown). For example, when someone says that god created life, the earth, and the sun obviously that cannot be true because there are scientific reasons as to how they were created.

Life was formed by a "protein formula" involving simple chemicals like oxygen, carbon, nitrogen, hydrogen, and ammonia. It also involves the sun and lightning. These chemicals create amino acids which are the basic structures of life. Eventually tiny organisms are formed and evolve over time to create big animals like humans.

Also an issue that has lasted for centuries is the fight for the control over gods chosen land.(Jerusalem) The Christians, Jews, and Islams should not have to be reminded that god wouldn't have wanted them to fight and cause a war in the first place.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,397 • Replies: 38
No top replies

Holiday20310401

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 02:22 pm
@socrato,
Is it time for the human race to move on without the existence of God?

It would be nice if humanity could be independent from such a symbol. But unfortunately God has had very good establishments upon humanity's self conscience.The problem really is where the essence of God is taken to a physical approach. When viewed physically it becomes uniform throughout society, thus resulting in religion. And religion is not about morals, obviously, it is about power.

Relgion is different from culture in that culture is about the premises of the people and religion is about the premises of the political power, or religious power. So God has had moral and immoral implications.

It is not a question of when it will be time, it is just not possible. Religion seems to be fluent and of great dependence among the people of third world nations like the middle east, I suppose. And here in America religion isn't the source of culture unless you want to say that we've created our own religion from technology and urban sprawl.

God exists very faintly away from the mind, I mean like the occasional church and customs seen in the muslim immigrants.

I think that as society has progressed we've become attributed to the meaning of God in some ways. We see God as an inner ensemble of benevolence, morality (not attributed to what's "out there" unless you count the media as going sacreligious on us) - our own interpretation allowing for creativity or at least deviation so as to not have a religious state again any time soon.

God was invented by humanity, thats also clear.:ya-think:
0 Replies

paulhanke

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 03:52 pm
@socrato,
socrato wrote:
I'm talking about looking at things logically and scientifically and not ... spiritually.

... logic and science (like religion) are human inventions - spirituality, I'm afraid, is in the human DNA ... if you take away our spirituality, would we still be human? ... currently, religion (despite all the flaws that have accumulated over the ages) fills a spiritual void that logic and science cannot ... so I don't think it's so much a question of whether we can replace religious thinking with logical and scientific thinking - it's more a question of whether we can steer modern religions away from closed-minded extremes such as fundamentalism ...
Aedes

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 05:58 pm
@paulhanke,
Spirituality can certainly be held without god or formalized religion. All spirituality requires is a sense of the sublime.

That said, I'd ask in response to the original question whether it really matters. Humans are a whole lot more animal than they are logical computer. We're always going to find something irrational to place at the core of our lives. Doesn't really matter if it's god or not.
paulhanke

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 06:10 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
All spirituality requires is a sense of the sublime.

... ahhhh - a man after my own heart ... a long hike through the mountains; chasing a summer storm across the high plains; exploring the surprising bends and twists of a deep canyon - that's my religion! (and why I live in Colorado! :a-ok:) ...
socrato

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 09:22 pm
@paulhanke,
You are right though, spirituality is what makes us human.

you are correct about spirituality aedes, it doesn't have to have anything to do with religion. I was just using the term spirituality to describe how easily influenced humans are in believing in god.
0 Replies

paulhanke

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 09:29 pm
@paulhanke,
... speaking of which, here's a pic from this evening's stormchasing jaunt ...

http://www.paulhanke.com/stormchasing-4.jpg

... B-52's "Revolution Earth" playing on my Jeep's stereo: "... and we know that we're alive - if we weren't sure before ..."
0 Replies

socrato

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 09:32 pm
@Aedes,
I understand what you mean by logic and spirituality Aedes but if you were asked a question like how did the hebrews cross the red sea would you answer the question religiously(implying the power of god) or would you answer the question scientifically or logically.
Holiday20310401

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 09:38 pm
@socrato,
Actually the exodus gives a really god account on how it scientifically possible.

And spirituality for me would have nothing to do with the bible. Science can construe with it, because spirituality is rather irrational but dependable.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 10:17 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Quote:
how did the hebrews cross the red sea would you answer the question religiously(implying the power of god) or would you answer the question scientifically or logically.

I think answering that question scientifically or logically would miss the point. Explain, scientifically, how Hamlet spoke with the ghost of his dead father. Who cares?
Holiday20310401

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 10:48 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Well back then I suppose it was reasonable, no need for reason, the hierarchical ranking was topped by the supernatural, why do you think Shakepseare used pathetic fallacy so much? Who cares for if Hamlet talked to some ghost in a fiction book.

But some people may appreciate the notion of a supernatural event actually occurring. I mean that some people may enjoy thinking of clearing the red :nonooo:sea.Laughing Just kidding of course. :smartass:
midas77

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 11:19 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Didy, some religious fanatic of Shakespear might argue with you. Hamlet spoke with the ghost of his father, therefore ghost are real.

About the clearing of the red sea, Bible Scholars that it was not really the red sea. It was a mistranslation, It is Reed Sea. Check this link for further reading Untitled Page
0 Replies

socrato

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2008 08:18 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
I think answering that question scientifically or logically would miss the point. Explain, scientifically, how Hamlet spoke with the ghost of his dead father. Who cares?

I would think that people would have the sense that answering this question scientifically would give you the only logical answer. You can't just say that god just raised the red sea and allowed the hebrews to cross the red sea because thats impossible without some sort of scientific purpose or reason to it. The only way that you could say that god can exist and use his almighty power hat we perceive him to have is if he used it through science.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2008 08:47 pm
@socrato,
socrato wrote:
I understand what you mean by logic and spirituality Aedes but if you were asked a question like how did the hebrews cross the red sea would you answer the question religiously(implying the power of god) or would you answer the question scientifically or logically.
The question can be answered so many different ways. I mean we don't HAVE to assume that the story is historically true exactly as it is written down. It could have taken place much differently and been mythologized by the time it was written down. It could have never taken place but it has become an allegory for god's (and Moses') shepherding of the hebrews from bondage. It's a story with great meaning to the tradition of my religion in particular (I'm Jewish) but that doesn't mean I need to explain the phenomenon described iin the story as opposed to accepting it as a traditional part of my peoples' historical lore.
socrato

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2008 08:54 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
The question can be answered so many different ways. I mean we don't HAVE to assume that the story is historically true exactly as it is written down. It could have taken place much differently and been mythologized by the time it was written down. It could have never taken place but it has become an allegory for god's (and Moses') shepherding of the hebrews from bondage. It's a story with great meaning to the tradition of my religion in particular (I'm Jewish) but that doesn't mean I need to explain the phenomenon described iin the story as opposed to accepting it as a traditional part of my peoples' historical lore.

I'm just contemplating but could it be possible that people use gods almighty power as an idea to describe and make themselves understand what they do not know that can be explained scientifically. Your right as well we don't even have to assume that the story actually happened the way it was told.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 08:22 pm
@socrato,
Socrato, Holiday - I think you guys have missed the point. We're talking about a book - and it's not a history book, not a science text book. We do not demand scientific rigor in other literature, why demand scientific rigor in scripture?
paulhanke

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 10:28 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Socrato, Holiday - I think you guys have missed the point. We're talking about a book - and it's not a history book, not a science text book. We do not demand scientific rigor in other literature, why demand scientific rigor in scripture?

... maybe it comes down to how scripture is to be classified: fiction or non-fiction? ... if the former, then scripture is literature and is at most the subject of artistic criticism; if the latter, then scripture is history and is potentially the subject of stronger forms of criticism (historical accuracy, scientific accuracy, etc.) ...
Holiday20310401

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 10:36 pm
@paulhanke,
I'm not saying that I really care for the red sea story, and I certainly don't believe that such an event occurred, I was just helping Socrato. The Bible is to me, mostly fiction, or at least information that should not be taken literally, like you said.
0 Replies

midas77

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 03:24 am
@paulhanke,
paulhanke wrote:
... maybe it comes down to how scripture is to be classified: fiction or non-fiction? ... if the former, then scripture is literature and is at most the subject of artistic criticism; if the latter, then scripture is history and is potentially the subject of stronger forms of criticism (historical accuracy, scientific accuracy, etc.) ...

I'm fond of historical novels (James Clavell, James Michener, Leo Tolstoy and the like). I find this form of literature very enlightening and informative. Are they non-fiction? Are they fiction? Frankly I'm having diffciulty putting it in any category, the way you categorize fiction and non-fiction. I find the Bible the same way. It is hard to pin it down in any category. Oh maybe, its in the inspirational and spiritual section of the library?
paulhanke

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 08:10 am
@midas77,
midas77 wrote:
I'm fond of historical novels (James Clavell, James Michener, Leo Tolstoy and the like). I find this form of literature very enlightening and informative. Are they non-fiction? Are they fiction?

... nothing's ever black and white, is it? Wink ... so what type(s) of criticism do you think this form of literature should be open to? ...