What is the Empirical World?

jeeprs

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 07:30 am
@paulhanke,
It is an abstruse idea, I agree, and apparently contradicts common sense. I don't suppose it will help if I say that when we observe that the earth existed for X billion years prior to the emergence of H Sapiens, that measurement itself is in a unit of time defined by us and relative to the terrestrial year.

The remark about 'not knowing what anything is' refers to the fact that the actual nature of matter is still unknown. The harder you look at it, the more elusive it seems to be.
kennethamy

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 07:38 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;117236 wrote:
It is an abstruse idea, I agree, and apparently contradicts common sense. I don't suppose it will help if I say that when we observe that the earth existed for X billion years prior to the emergence of H Sapiens, that measurement itself is in a unit of time defined by us and relative to the terrestrial year.

The remark about 'not knowing what anything is' refers to the fact that the actual nature of matter is still unknown. The harder you look at it, the more elusive it seems to be.

It isn't that it does not help so much as it seems to me irrelevant what unit of time we are using. I could simply say that the world existed before human beings existed. And, there is no good reason to believe that is not true. And overwhelming reason to think that it is true.

What is the actual nature of matter? I mean, as contrasted with the nature of matter? And, why do you think it is unknown?
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 08:53 am
@paulhanke,
jeeprs wrote:

Why do you think this? Once again, and I'm just going on a hunch here, you're seeking some sort of Ultimate (trademarked) answer. No matter how much we learn about matter on a molecular level, or a quantum level, there will always be something we don't know. But this doesn't mean we don't know anything about the "actual nature" of matter. We certainly do.

I wonder what sort of answer would satisfy you. No scientific discovery contributes to our knowing of the "actual nature" of matter? Can you describe just what it is you're seeking?
paulhanke

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 04:33 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;117217 wrote:
Like much else in 'the new physics', this throws considerable doubt on the concept of the 'mind-independent reality'.

... to add fuel to the fire:

Quote:
... if we think of empty spacetime as some immaterial substance, consisting of a very large number of minute, structureless pieces, and if we then let these microscopic building blocks interact with one another according to simple rules dictated by gravity and quantum theory, they will spontaneously arrange themselves into a whole that in many ways looks like the observed universe. It is similar to the way that molecules assemble themselves into crystalline or amorphous solids. ... Similar mechanisms of self-assembly and self-organization occur across physics, biology and other fields of science. A beautiful example is the behavior of large flocks of birds, such as European starlings. Individual birds interact only with a small number of nearby birds; no leader tells them what to do. Yet the flock still forms and moves as a whole. The flock possesses collective, or emergent, properties that are not obvious in each bird's behavior. ... Evidently, a small object experiences spacetime in a profoundly different way than a large object does. To that object, the universe has something akin to a fractal structure. (http://signallake.com/innovation/SelfOrganizingQuantumJul08.pdf)

... not that this quote makes our thoughts regarding "The Real" look any more coherent than an ongoing series of stabs in the dark, but once again it seems that the only alternative to the reductionist hypothesis (in any of its forms, be it materialism, panpsychism, whatever) is the hypothesis that relationships are a difference that makes a difference ...
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 06:26 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;117258 wrote:

I wonder what sort of answer would satisfy you. No scientific discovery contributes to our knowing of the "actual nature" of matter? Can you describe just what it is you're seeking?

An acknowledgement of humility. Not from you, or anyone here. It is not a personal accusation or anything. Western Man is so cocky about all the stuff he has figured out. He thinks that everything is reducible and explainable in his terms.

It isn't. No, I don't mean we should give up and wander off, despondent, either. But there is always, implicit in every situation, the unknowable. I say that because I have mystical inclinations - I will be right up front about it. Dawkins says in his Delusion book, that 'mystics love mystery'. Speaking for mystics, I can say, no we don't. We don't love mystery, or relish it. It is simply a fact of our experience. But Dawkins (he is always my 'token materialist') is annoyed by mystery. When he sees mystery, he says, the job is to roll up your sleeves and clean it up. Get rid of it. Explain it away. (There are other techniques also.) But I think this is one of the reasons he is so cranky all the time.

Now there are some scientists who know what I mean, and would have no argument about what I am saying. I think Heisenberg was one of them. Of course, people of his calibre are vastly more educated than I, and have insights that I will never have. But this 'relationship with the unknown' is actually a temperamental, rather than intellectual, matter. That is one of the reasons it is hard to communicate.

'The philosophers task is to wonder at what men think ordinary'. That is the way I approach it. It often unsettles people with a different view of the matter and I can understand that. A lot of what I say must seem pretty strange. Maybe I should be more reticent or keep these ideas to myself. But the point for me is to test these ideas out and see what comes back. I don't know about anyone else, but I feel I am learning a lot from it, and I hope contributing one viewpoint among the various. Think of me as 'the token mystic'.

Back later I really have to go an work for 8 hours.
Zetherin

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 06:30 pm
@paulhanke,
jeeprs wrote:
An acknowledgement of humility. Not from you, or anyone here. It is not a personal accusation or anything. Western Man is so cocky about all the stuff he has figured out. He thinks that everything is reducible and explainable in his terms.

I think stating we know nothing about matter is just as troubling as stating we know everything about matter. One can acknowledge knowledge about something and still have humility.

Quote:
When he sees mystery, he says, the job is to roll up your sleeves and clean it up. Get rid of it. Explain it away.

What do you do when you see mystery? Do you make a bed of it and go to sleep?
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 07:19 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;117444 wrote:

It isn't. No, I don't mean we should give up and wander off, despondent, either. But there is always, implicit in every situation, the unknowable.

We should recognize that there are two kinds of unknowability: 1. There is something to know, and for some reason, it cannot be known. 2. There is nothing to know, but we think there is something to know. The trick is to distinguish between the two, and not mistake the second for the first.
paulhanke

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 11:43 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;117454 wrote:
We should recognize that there are two kinds of unknowability: 1. There is something to know, and for some reason, it cannot be known. 2. There is nothing to know, but we think there is something to know. The trick is to distinguish between the two, and not mistake the second for the first.

... and vice versa? Smile ... first, Locke divided up the world into primary and secondary qualities ... he observed that the secondary qualities (such as sound, color, smell, etc.) while being caused in some way by real objects are in fact products of our senses - that is, secondary qualities are not properties of objects but rather the sensory representations of a subject ... to Locke, the primary qualities (spatial extent, temporal extent, etc.) are indeed properties of real objects ... Kant took this a step further: since space and time are how we arrange and make sense of secondary qualities, and since secondary qualities are the sensory representations of a subject, space and time must also be (to some degree) the mental representations of a subject ... following this line of thinking, both primary and secondary qualities are ideal (i.e., belong to subjects, not objects) ... thus in the phenomenal world, Mind-Independent Reality is unknowable - is this a type 1 unknowability, or a type 2?

Moving on to the empirical world, we have prosthetic senses that can probe much more deeply than human senses - so perhaps we have a chance at penetrating all the way to Mind-Independent Reality ... but then again, despite the more deeply we probe we still seem to be running into conceptual problems ... as jeeprs quotes, "I cannot imagine a consistent theory of everything that ignores consciousness...in the absence of observers, our universe is dead." ... if we imagine that as we probe more deeply we are getting closer to Mind-Independent Reality, such statements are counter-intuitive; on the other hand, if we imagine that as we probe more deeply that the qualities we uncover continue to be ideal, then such statements are completely intuitive simply because ideal qualities cannot exist without a subject ... could the mere act of observation by a subject no matter what the prosthetic sense necessarily imply that the perceived quality is ideal? ... and what type of unknowability would that be?
Kielicious

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 02:46 am
@paulhanke,
paulhanke;118425 wrote:
... and vice versa? Smile ... first, Locke divided up the world into primary and secondary qualities ... he observed that the secondary qualities (such as sound, color, smell, etc.) while being caused in some way by real objects are in fact products of our senses - that is, secondary qualities are not properties of objects but rather the sensory representations of a subject ... to Locke, the primary qualities (spatial extent, temporal extent, etc.) are indeed properties of real objects ... Kant took this a step further: since space and time are how we arrange and make sense of secondary qualities, and since secondary qualities are the sensory representations of a subject, space and time must also be (to some degree) the mental representations of a subject ... following this line of thinking, both primary and secondary qualities are ideal (i.e., belong to subjects, not objects) ... thus in the phenomenal world, Mind-Independent Reality is unknowable - is this a type 1 unknowability, or a type 2?

Moving on to the empirical world, we have prosthetic senses that can probe much more deeply than human senses - so perhaps we have a chance at penetrating all the way to Mind-Independent Reality ... but then again, despite the more deeply we probe we still seem to be running into conceptual problems ... as jeeprs quotes, "I cannot imagine a consistent theory of everything that ignores consciousness...in the absence of observers, our universe is dead." ... if we imagine that as we probe more deeply we are getting closer to Mind-Independent Reality, such statements are counter-intuitive; on the other hand, if we imagine that as we probe more deeply that the qualities we uncover continue to be ideal, then such statements are completely intuitive simply because ideal qualities cannot exist without a subject ... could the mere act of observation by a subject no matter what the prosthetic sense necessarily imply that the perceived quality is ideal? ... and what type of unknowability would that be?

I then think the next question is: how do we distinguish between what we know to be secondary qualities and what are in fact primary qualities? I think Im starting to understand why you titled the thread the way you did.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 04:28 am
@paulhanke,
I don't see how this can avoid a regress.

As mentioned previously, I think Heisenberg might have some valuable insights at this point. This particular quote talks about the limits (and limitations, which might be subtly different) of science. He starts by quoting from the introduction to the Principles of Mechanics by Heinrich Hertz:

Quote:
A natural science is one whose propositions on limited domains of nature can have only corresponding limited validity;...science is not a philosophy developing a worldview of nature as a whole or about the essence of things.

He goes on to quote Hertz' pragmatist view of scientific knowledge:

Quote:
The hypothetical picture of a causal relationship with which we invest natural phenomena must prove its usefulness in practise. The criteria...are that (1) it must be admissable, i.e. corresponds with our laws of thought; (2) it must be correct i.e. agree with experience, and (3) it must be relevant, i.e. contain the maximum of essential and minimal of superfluous or empty relations of the object.

I do note in both these statements the appealing attribute of 'metaphysical modesty'.

In relation to what he calls 'the essential insights of modern physics', he provides a rather more dramatic (and metaphysical!) quote from Eddington to the effect that it is impractical to pursue the ideal of a 'mind-independent reality' because

Quote:
We have found that where science has progressed the farthest, the mind has but regained from nature that which the mind has put into nature. We have found a strange footprint on the shores of the unknown. We have devised profound theories, one after another, to account for its origin. At last we have succeeded in reconstructing the creature that made the footprint. And Lo! It is our own."

Heisenberg concludes this piece with the following summary:

1. Modern science, in its beginnings, was characterised by a conscious modesty; it made statements about strictly limited relations that are only valid within the framework of those limitations.
  2. This modesty was largely lost during the nineteeth century. Physical knowedge was considered to make assertions about nature as a whole. Physics wished to turn philosopher, and the demand was voiced from many quarters that all true philosophers must be scientific.
  3. Today physics is undergoing a basic change, the most characteristic trait of which is a return to its original self-limitation
  4. The philosophic content of a science is only preserved if science is conscious of its limits. Great discoveries of the properties of individual phenomena are possible only if the nature of the phenomena is not generalised a priori.

( From 'If Science is Conscious of its Limits, Werner Heisenberg; Quoted in Quantum Questions: Mystical Writings of the World's Great Physicists; ed Ken Wilber, Shambhala, 1985, Pp72-73.)

I don't know how true (3) remains; hope it does.

He also said "What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning. (Heisenberg, Physics and Philosophy, 1963)"

------------------------------------------------------------

A digression: Personally, I don't claim to have any kind of answer to the question of 'what is the empirical world' which could not be found by the hundreds of thousands of bright research scientists out there who are interogating the nature of the cosmos at every moment. In my case it is more a matter of coming to terms with where 'knowledge' is in the scheme of things. So

Zetherin;117446 wrote:
What do you do when you see mystery? Do you make a bed of it and go to sleep?

Well, yes, actually: I have learned 'to go to bed with mystery'. And actually it is an important skill. Otherwise it turns up in....well....mysterious ways. I have a hunch that much of the energy that is driving the popular anti-religion movement of today is actually a covert anger at the continued existence of mystery. I mean, dammit, we're supposed to have all this stuff worked out by now. Lord Kelvin and David Hilbert both said, at different times, that there was only a small list of scientific problems outstanding, and then we would have a Complete Scientific Picture of the Universe. (What then, I can't help but ask....).

But maybe this is the real place of the spiritual side of philosophy - to enable you to deal with, to relate to, the mysterious. Perhaps that is what mysticism is really about: coming to terms with the mysterious. You can't necessarily explain it, understand it intellectually, or work it out, but there are ways of working with it, or maybe just making peace with it. I think that is a big part of what religion is supposed to do, or the parts of it that are worth saving, anyway. Heisenberg himself was always drawn to mysticism, as were many physicists. See The Tao of Physics, by Frithjof Capra.

Anyway - that is more of a meditation on the existential aspect of the question. It is quite separate to the question itself. But I hope the Heisenberg quote was helpful.
paulhanke

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 09:11 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;118451 wrote:
I don't know how true (3) remains; hope it does.

... I don't know if it matters if the physicists are conscious of the limits of science anymore - the rise of the technologists (who for the most part appear to be unconscious of any limits) seems to be carrying the day ... as well, the back and forth between scientific realism and instrumentalism seems to be mere splashing around in the metaphysical shallows of pragmatism - but I suppose that to wade any deeper would be to leave the realm of the philosophy of science ... love the Eddington quote, btw Smile

---------- Post added 01-08-2010 at 08:39 PM ----------

Kielicious;118447 wrote:
I then think the next question is: how do we distinguish between what we know to be secondary qualities and what are in fact primary qualities? I think Im starting to understand why you titled the thread the way you did.

... I don't know and I don't even really know where to begin ... I only know that my gut is telling me that until we better understand how much of the empirical world is of our own subconscious making, the more likely it is that we'll just be chasing our own tails ... as Schopenhauer quotes Horace, "Est quadam prodire tenus, si non datur ultra" (it is right to push forward to the boundary, even is there if no path beyond) ...
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 12:10 am
@paulhanke,
paulhanke;118425 wrote:

thus in the phenomenal world, Mind-Independent Reality is unknowable - is this a type 1 unknowability, or a type 2?

I don't think that mind-independent reality is unknowable at all. I don't think that just because we can observe something, that it is mind-dependent.

Why should I in either case?
prothero

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 01:05 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;118747 wrote:
Why should I in either case?

Don't you think there are aspects of "reality" that we do not perceive empirically with either our insturments or our senses?
Don't you think that there is some perceptual interiority to "being a bat" say that is not avaialble to us?
That things "exist" which are not part of the "empirical world"?
kennethamy

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 01:08 am
@prothero,
prothero;118754 wrote:
Don't you think there are aspects of "reality" that we do not perceive empirically with either our insturments or our senses?
Don't you think that there is some perceptual interiority to "being a bat" say that is not avaialble to us?
That things "exist" which are not part of the "empirical world"?

Yes. I am told that dogs hear pitches that human beings cannot hear. Why?
prothero

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 01:13 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;118756 wrote:
Yes. I am told that dogs hear pitches that human beings cannot hear. Why?
Aren't those things that exist which are not perceived part of what people mean when they speak about "mind independent reality"?
kennethamy

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 01:46 am
@prothero,
prothero;118757 wrote:
Aren't those things that exist which are not perceived part of what people mean when they speak about "mind independent reality"?

Perceived how? Directly? Indirectly? Posited to explain what is perceived? For instance, God is not perceived, but God is often posited to explain what is perceived.
prothero

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 10:55 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;118765 wrote:
Perceived how? Directly? Indirectly? Posited to explain what is perceived? For instance, God is not perceived, but God is often posited to explain what is perceived.
Really the notion is one of "metaphysical humility" an acknowledgement that some aspects of the "real external world" are not available to our instruments or our senses. Good starting points are the interior subjective states of other minds but clearly there are also aspects of the physical world that lie beyond our abilities as well.

Some of course assume that science will eventually provide a purely physical or material explanation for "all experience" and that anything not perceived does not "exist" but such positions I think clearly lack humility.
kennethamy

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 11:40 am
@prothero,
prothero;118819 wrote:
Really the notion is one of "metaphysical humility" an acknowledgement that some aspects of the "real external world" are not available to our instruments or our senses. Good starting points are the interior subjective states of other minds but clearly there are also aspects of the physical world that lie beyond our abilities as well.

Some of course assume that science will eventually provide a purely physical or material explanation for "all experience" and that anything not perceived does not "exist" but such positions I think clearly lack humility.

It is not clear to me that the subjective states of other minds are not available to me, although not, of course, in the way they are available to the owners of the other minds. As to your more general point, the history of science is strewn with those who believed we could never know about some aspects about the world. For instance, the constitution of the stars. And then, the spectroscope was invented. There may be such unknowables, but it is unknowable what they are.
prothero

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 03:31 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;118827 wrote:
It is not clear to me that the subjective states of other minds are not available to me, although not, of course, in the way they are available to the owners of the other minds. As to your more general point, the history of science is strewn with those who believed we could never know about some aspects about the world. For instance, the constitution of the stars. And then, the spectroscope was invented. There may be such unknowables, but it is unknowable what they are.
I don't think anyone is calling for an end to; or artificial limits on; the scientific endeavor. I don't think anyone is denying the contributions of science in an increased understanding of our world. I don't think anyone is arguing that science should not be taken into account in attempting to construct an adequate, coherent, consistent or correspondent worldview.

What is being suggested is the possiblity that what science actually gives us (and all it may ever give us) is a partial, tenative and incomplete view of "total or universal reality". It is also being suggested that some confuse their mechanistic materialistic deterministic metaphysical assumptions or philosophical speculations with what "science" as a method of investigating nature acutally seeks or claims to tell us.
kennethamy

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 03:49 pm
@prothero,
prothero;118863 wrote:
I don't think anyone is calling for an end to; or artificial limits on; the scientific endeavor. I don't think anyone is denying the contributions of science in an increased understanding of our world. I don't think anyone is arguing that science should not be taken into account in attempting to construct an adequate, coherent, consistent or correspondent worldview.

What is being suggested is the possiblity that what science actually gives us (and all it may ever give us) is a partial, tenative and incomplete view of "total or universal reality". It is also being suggested that some confuse their mechanistic materialistic deterministic metaphysical assumptions or philosophical speculations with what "science" as a method of investigating nature acutally seeks or claims to tell us.

I don't suppose we have come to the end of scientific investigation, and there is, no doubt, more to learn about the universe. Much more. But I thought you were claiming that there were some things about the universe we will never know because we can never know about them. They are unknowable. And that is a different, and much stronger (and controversial) claim than just the claim that there will always be more to know. You seem to keep swinging between these two claims; the weaker one that our knowledge will never (so far as ws can tell) be complete, which is probably true, and the much stronger claim that there are certain things we can never know, which is, I think, dubious. And you seem to argue that because the weaker claim is true, the stronger claim is true. And that is a bad argument. It might be that there are certain things we will never know (I don't know) but we certainly do not know whether that is true, and even if it is true, we do not know which those things are.
0 Replies