What is the Empirical World?

Zetherin

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 10:56 am
@Kielicious,
Kielicious;116840 wrote:
Agreed.

It gets even more obscure when the distinctions are more nebulous like: society, or the individuals? the forest, or the trees?

What is nebulous about trees and forests, in terms of being real? Trees are real, and forests are real. Just as the woven fibers are real, and the linen is real. Reality isn't defined, or changed, by our theoretical zooming in and out of the innerworkings of things; the nucleus of a skin cell on a deer is just as real as the deer.

If we are to speak of society as something tangible, as in, a count of the populous, then there should be nothing unclear: It is the sum of a given set of individuals. And, I don't know why anyone would debate individuals are real. But, of course, society is usually used in the abstract and does have a varied usage. I think it would depend on how we're using the word. I think it could be unclear, you're probably right.
0 Replies

paulhanke

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 10:57 am
@paulhanke,
... sounds like we're butting heads with the logical implications of reductionism Smile

Is the view of the paper as a whole "just as real" as the view of individual wood fibers? ... I think every one here would say "yes".

Is the view of the paper as a whole "the same amount of real" as the view of individual wood fibers? ... I think a reductionist would say "yes" but a non-reductionist might disagree ... specifically, a reductionist would say that the whole is simply the sum of the parts and so a representative set of parts (a wood fiber) "explains" the whole, whereas a non-reductionist might say that individual wood fibers do not provide a complete explanation of the whole (e.g., the whole has properties such as "thickness", "density", "texture", etc., that are not simple summations of properties of individual wood fibers but are also due to the particular organization of the whole) ... so as far as Ken's definition of "exist" goes (i.e., a thing with properties "exists"), the view of the paper as a whole and the view of individual wood fibers may contain different amounts of "existence" (how this relates to reality I can't say - Ken differentiates between existence and reality, but I'm not entirely clear on the difference).

I've used the qualifiers "might" and "may" above when talking about the non-reductionist view due to the fact that the paper example seems to be on the border of "reducible" ... that is, a non-reductionist would not deny that some wholes are exactly reducible to their parts (such wholes as simple aggregates, or heaps), and paper may qualify as such ... a more interesting example would be a living cell, a case in which the qualifiers for the non-reductionist view would change to "would" and "does" ... for example, stick a living cell under a microscope and you'll observe properties such as metabolism, etc. ... now run the living cell through a blender, and stick it back under the microscope - the properties of life are gone, even though the biochemical parts are exactly the same ... thus the "parts" do not appear to be able to provide a complete explanation of the whole ... they are necessary, but not sufficient.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 11:03 am
@paulhanke,
paulhanke wrote:
Is the view of the paper as a whole "the same amount of real" as the view of individual wood fibers? ... I think a reductionist would say "yes" but a non-reductionist might disagree ... specifically, a reductionist would say that the whole is simply the sum of the parts and so a representative set of parts (a wood fiber) "explains" the whole, whereas a non-reductionist might say that individual wood fibers do not provide a complete explanation of the whole (e.g., the whole has properties such as "thickness", "density", "texture", etc., that are not simple summations of properties of individual wood fibers but are also due to the particular organization of the whole) ... so as far as Ken's definition of "exist" goes (i.e., a thing with properties "exists"), the view of the paper as a whole and the view of individual wood fibers may contain different amounts of "existence" (how this relates to reality I can't say - Ken differentiates between existence and reality, but I'm not entirely clear on the difference).

I'm very unclear regarding this notion of differing amounts of reality and existence. It seems very odd to me. Things either exist, or they do not exist. Things are either real, or they are not real. Perhaps it's sometimes difficult to ascertain which things are real or which things exist, but to say there are different levels of existence and reality, I don't quite understand (I mean, I don't understand the reason why one would offer these further distinctions). Care to explain?
kennethamy

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 11:11 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;116841 wrote:
I reckon the notion of ''mind-independent" is the foundation of a belief system. It can't be anything else really.

---------- Post added 01-04-2010 at 08:53 PM ----------

which is why we often get stalled at this point in a discussion, as it really rests on a statement of faith. In this case, 'faith in reality' vs. the counter-claim that reality and perception are not actually seperable. It is hard to get past the is/isn't dialog - the idea of mind-independent reality is taken to be the irrefutable foundation, and to question it by any means, a bad argument. Is. Isn't. And so on.

---------- Post added 01-04-2010 at 09:09 PM ----------

"Physicists used to think that electrons are truly fundamental, but today many of them would place strings in that deeper role, regarding electrons as just one manifestation of string activity". Paul Davies, The Goldilocks Enigma: Why is the Universe Just Right for Life? p 253

But according to some physicists, the existence of strings can never be proven, regardless of whether they are real or not (e.g. The Trouble with Physics, Lee Smolin).

So after all this time, we are still arguing about what is 'really there'.

In which case, belief in a "mind-independent reality" really is an article of faith.

That "real" means "mind-independent" is one claim. And that there is something mind-independent is a different claim. They are logically independent claims.

It seems to me that since the universe predated minds by many billions of years, the universe was mind-independent, and, therefore, real in that sense.

---------- Post added 01-04-2010 at 12:16 PM ----------

Zetherin;116908 wrote:
I'm very unclear regarding this notion of differing amounts of reality and existence. It seems very odd to me. Things either exist, or they do not exist. Things are either real, or they are not real. Perhaps it's sometimes difficult to ascertain which things are real or which things exist, but to say there are different levels of existence and reality, I don't quite understand (I mean, I don't understand the reason why one would offer these further distinctions). Care to explain?

I am pretty nearsighted, so if I were talking to you without my glasses I would only see your face as an amorphous mess. But, if I put on my glassed, I would see how you really look. Handsome as a god, no doubt. Isn't the first way not the way you really look, but the second way closer to how yu really look?
paulhanke

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 11:28 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;116908 wrote:

... these "different amounts" are related to different magnifications, not different levels ... if you look at a fragment of a sand dune with a microscope, you will see less of the sand dune than if you look at the sand dune with your eyes ... as this relates to different amounts of existence and reality, if organisms do not exist nor are they real, then looking at a fragment of an organism with a microscope reveals the same amount of what exists and what is real as does looking at the whole organism ... however, if organisms do exist and are real, then looking at a fragment of an organism with a microscope misses much of what exists and is real about that organism ... the reason why one would offer these distinctions is because it drives scientific agendas (it shapes the Empirical World) ... if reductionism is true, then you can learn just as much about an organism by studying physics as you would by studying the whole organism, so why bother studying the whole organism? - on the other hand, if reductionism is false, then you will never find a complete explanation of an organism solely by studying physics.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 12:12 pm
@paulhanke,
kennethamy wrote:

I am pretty nearsighted, so if I were talking to you without my glasses I would only see your face as an amorphous mess. But, if I put on my glassed, I would see how you really look. Handsome as a god, no doubt. Isn't the first way not the way you really look, but the second way closer to how yu really look?

What does reality have to do with our perception of reality, in this vein? Say, instead, you viewed my face with a high-calibur microscope and were able to see every one of my skin cells. Is this closer to how I really look? I don't think real has anything to do with it.

When you placed your glasses on, what you would see would be closer to what the human eye is able to see under normal circumstances; you regained your normal vision. The distorted mess you saw previously wasn't less real, it was the same reality, it was just a less clear perception of that reality. Once you were able to see me more clearly, it makes more sense why you'd stand in awe in front of such a beautiful face (as my own).

paulhanke wrote:
... these "different amounts" are related to different magnifications, not different levels ... if you look at a fragment of a sand dune with a microscope, you will see less of the sand dune than if you look at the sand dune with your eyes ... as this relates to different amounts of existence and reality, if organisms do not exist nor are they real, then looking at a fragment of an organism with a microscope reveals the same amount of what exists and what is real as does looking at the whole organism ... however, if organisms do exist and are real, then looking at a fragment of an organism with a microscope misses much of what exists and is real about that organism ... the reason why one would offer these distinctions is because it drives scientific agendas (it shapes the Empirical World) ... if reductionism is true, then you can learn just as much about an organism by studying physics as you would by studying the whole organism, so why bother studying the whole organism?

Even if reductionism is true, why would you think there's no point in studying the whole organism? We can understand the whole that is the creature, we can understand the functions of each organ, we can understand the cells that make up the organ, we can understand the subatomic particles and their relations with matter and energy, and so on and so forth. But, what makes you think one is more important than the other, or that one is more real than another? These different "levels of perception" seem to all hold value. Looking at the whole creature may be the only way to understand one thing, but looking at the creature's organ on a molecular level may be the only way to understand something else, and viewing the subatomic particles via some quantum mechanic method may be the only way for us to understand yet something else. Just because something can be further reduced or explained does not mean that the previous understanding/visualization/perception is meaningless or less important.
kennethamy

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 12:30 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;116943 wrote:
What does reality have to do with our perception of reality, in this vein? Say, instead, you viewed my face with a high-calibur microscope and were able to see every one of my skin cells. Is this closer to how I really look? I don't think real has anything to do with it.

When you placed your glasses on, what you would see would be closer to what the human eye is able to see under normal circumstances; you regained your normal vision. The distorted mess you saw previously wasn't less real, it was the same reality, it was just a less clear perception of that reality. Once you were able to see me more clearly, it makes more sense why you'd stand in awe in front of such a beautiful face (as my own).

Yes, I think you are right in that when I say that I can see what you really look like when I have my glasses on, I am not saying that what I see when my glasses are off is not real (in the sense that it is mind-dependent) but rather that what I see is not an accurate perception of your face. I am saying that what I see is not your real face, and not that what I see is not real. It is important to distinguish between "not a real x" and, "x is not real". What is not a real x is still real. Example: a toy truck is not a real truck; but a toy truck is still real.

You were right, and I wrong. I should not have confused the two uses of "real". Thanks.
0 Replies

paulhanke

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 12:58 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;116943 wrote:
But, what makes you think one is more important than the other, or that one is more real than another? Looking at the whole creature may be the only way to understand one thing ...

... myself not being a reductionist, I don't Smile ... if you want such an answer from the mouth of a professional philosopher, see if you can find a copy of Jaegwon Kim's essay "Making Sense of Emergence" ... in it, he makes explicit why he thinks wholes are mere epiphenomena and that looking at the whole is never the only way to understand a thing ... at any rate, I've made the difference in magnification so extreme here (organism vs. physics) that it seems pretty obvious to you that there are certain things about an organism that can only be explained by looking at the whole organism ... however, the difference in magnification is not always so extreme ... take neuroscience as an example ... you could probably get a neuroscientist to voice agreement with the statement that organisms can't be explained simply by studying physics - while in the same breath talk about his current work in explaining consciousness by way of studying brain parts.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 01:02 pm
@paulhanke,
kennethamy wrote:

Yes, I think you are right in that when I say that I can see what you really look like when I have my glasses on, I am not saying that what I see when my glasses are off is not real (in the sense that it is mind-dependent) but rather that what I see is not an accurate perception of your face.

But keep in mind you'd be referring to an accurate perception of my face under normal (20/20) human vision, right? If you looked at my face under a microscope, you could still see an accurate perception of my face, it would just be of a different magnification.

When we use "accurate" here, we seem to be referring to a standard. And we should keep in mind that we humans are not the only standard. Hawks, for instance, it is said, have near 20/2 vision which is much more acute than humans. This would mean that at 20 feet away, the hawk could see just as much detail in my face as you could see standing 2 feet away. Each perception would be accurate, per the standard, would it not? What if the hawk and you both stood 20 feet away from my face - is the hawk's perception more accurate?

---------- Post added 01-04-2010 at 02:08 PM ----------

paulhanke wrote:

... myself not being a reductionist, I don't Smile ... if you want such an answer from the mouth of a professional philosopher, see if you can find a copy of Jaegwon Kim's essay "Making Sense of Emergence" ... in it, he makes explicit why he thinks wholes are mere epiphenomena and that looking at the whole is never the only way to understand a thing ... at any rate, I've made the difference in magnification so extreme here (organism vs. physics) that it seems pretty obvious to you that there are certain things about an organism that can only be explained by looking at the whole organism ... however, the difference in magnification is not always so extreme ... take neuroscience as an example ... you could probably get a neuroscientist to voice agreement with the statement that organisms can't be explained simply by studying physics - while in the same breath talk about his current work in explaining consciousness by way of studying brain parts.

But I still don't see how the difference in magnification has anything to do with something being real or not real. Does our visually zooming in and out of an object change reality?
paulhanke

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 01:23 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;116963 wrote:
But I still don't see how the difference in magnification has anything to do with something being real or not real. Does our visually zooming in and out of an object change reality?

... the difference in magnification has nothing to do with something being real or not real ... it is the difference in metaphysics, reductionism vs. non-reductionism, that asserts what is real and not real ... for the reductionist, the earth (to include all life on it) is merely an epiphenomenon of physics (physics being the only thing that is real) ... for the non-reductionist, the earth and the life on it are as real as physics ... for a reductionist, zooming in and out reveals/conceals nothing: reality is physics, period ... for a non-reductionist, zooming in and out changes how many real things you can see: zoom in, and you only see physics; zoom out, and you see physics + life + earth ...
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 02:41 pm
@paulhanke,
paulhanke wrote:

the earth (to include all life on it) is merely an epiphenomenon of physics (physics being the only thing that is real)

But if a reductionist is truly a reductionist, why would they stop at physics? Suppose we discover more on a quantum level, and much of how we understand physics is revised. And, perhaps even, we call this field something other than physics. Wouldn't the reductionist follow the most reduced and seemingly clear understanding (to which they would call the real)?
jeeprs

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 02:54 pm
@paulhanke,
If you go 'beyond physics' then you really do end up with some species of metaphysics again, which means that the reductionist agenda has been defeated.

Quote:
An attempt or tendency to explain a complex set of facts, entities, phenomena, or structures by another, simpler set: (John Holland)

Basically this translates as explaining matter in terms of atoms, mind in terms of neurons, and life in terms of genomes.

And I think it has failed.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 02:58 pm
@paulhanke,
jeeprs wrote:

Basically this translates as explaining matter in terms of atoms, mind in terms of neurons, and life in terms of genomes.

They haven't failed in explaining matter in these terms. The point is, however, there are often many ways to explain the same thing. Is it not possible that two explanations are true, but, at the same time, different? Yes, of course!

The problem is, when you, and others, mutter "explained" in this context, you seem to be seeking more than an explanation. You seem to be seeking something Ultimate or Absolute, the end all of explanations.
paulhanke

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 03:00 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;117008 wrote:
But if a reductionist is truly a reductionist, why would they stop at physics? Suppose we discover more on a quantum level, and much of how we understand physics is revised. And, perhaps even, we call this field something other than physics. Wouldn't the reductionist follow the most reduced and seemingly clear understanding (to which they would call the real)?

... if you take physics to be the science of fundamental nature, then what is discovered to be fundamental will always be physics ... that our ideas of what is fundamental seem to be in flux is precisely why I avoided using the word "matter" Smile ...
jeeprs

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 04:36 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;117017 wrote:
They haven't failed in explaining matter in these terms. The point is, however, there are often many ways to explain the same thing. Is it not possible that two explanations are true, but, at the same time, different? Yes, of course!

The problem is, when you, and others, mutter "explained" in this context, you seem to be seeking more than an explanation. You seem to be seeking something Ultimate or Absolute, the end all of explanations.

Of course! But it was not I who tried to explain it thus. It is materialism that has sought to become the 'end of all explanations'. It still is seeking to do that - and it won't succeed. I don't deny that this agenda has produced many material benefits, but I still say it has failed as a philosophy.
kennethamy

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 04:59 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;117069 wrote:
Of course! But it was not I who tried to explain it thus. It is materialism that has sought to become the 'end of all explanations'. It still is seeking to do that - and it won't succeed. I don't deny that this agenda has produced many material benefits, but I still say it has failed as a philosophy.

If so, then it must have failed to explain something it should have explained. What was that?
Kielicious

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 05:12 pm
@paulhanke,
Zetherin;116905 wrote:
What is nebulous about trees and forests, in terms of being real? Trees are real, and forests are real. Just as the woven fibers are real, and the linen is real. Reality isn't defined, or changed, by our theoretical zooming in and out of the innerworkings of things; the nucleus of a skin cell on a deer is just as real as the deer.

If we are to speak of society as something tangible, as in, a count of the populous, then there should be nothing unclear: It is the sum of a given set of individuals. And, I don't know why anyone would debate individuals are real. But, of course, society is usually used in the abstract and does have a varied usage. I think it would depend on how we're using the word. I think it could be unclear, you're probably right.

What makes it nebulous is many things. First, we dont know how many people or trees are adequate enough to give rise to such emergent properties like 'society' or 'forest'. Second, its often considered (as paul has noted) that ideas like 'society' or 'forest' are just epiphenomena and not 'real' in any sense. Why? Because to a greedy reductionist you can explain away the higher level phenomena by looking at its constituent parts (i.e. society is nothing more than a collection of individuals; forests are nothing more than a group of trees). But this is where we need to distinguish between the two types of reductionism. There is just plain ol' reductionism (Link) and greedy reductionism (Link). They are quite different because while regular reductionism tries to further understand a phenomenon by looking at what its parts are 'made of', greedy reductionism looks to explain away the phenonenon by 'reducing' it to a lower level.

So to further clarify, maybe a 'diagram' (of sorts) will help. Lets look at the 'levels of existence'...

Atoms --> Molecules --> Organelles --> Cells --> Tissue --> Organs --> Organisms --> Populations --> Communities --> Ecosystems --> Biospheres --> Solar Systems, etc. etc...

So we start off with physics then move to chemistry, then biochemistry, then biology, histology, anatomy, psychology, sociology, etc... Regular reductionism grants the existence of all these different types of levels, but a greedy reductionist looks to diminish the ontologies by saying that those levels dont really exist. A greedy reductionist looks at all the levels as 'abstract' ideas of simpler more 'fundamental' levels of existence. For example, a cell is an abstract explanation of a collection of organelles. So in essence, biology can be explained in terms of chemistry, and chemistry explained in terms of physics, and so on... But here's where it gets interesting because all these levels of existence are just a collection of entities at that particular level. Just like cells are just a collection of organelles, and societies are a collection of individuals, and forests are a collection of trees... which seems to beg the question: what is it about a collection of entities that give rise to novel properties? That, to me, seems to be the million dollar question.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 06:12 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;117079 wrote:
If so, then if must have failed to explain something it should have explained. What was that?

The nature of the 'empirical world'. It is still an open question in my view! Nobody can really, truly say what anything is.

What I am criticizing is the tendency to say that in principle, we have life worked out. And I think that is exactly what many scientifically-oriented philosophers are saying. 'We don't know all the details yet', quoth they, 'but we know what it is made of.'

The 'promissory notes of materialism'. They won't buy anything in my shop.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 05:44 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;116910 wrote:
It seems to me that since the universe predated minds by many billions of years, the universe was mind-independent, and, therefore, real in that sense.

Perfectly reasonable assumption, but check this out:

Quote:
When it comes to the universe as a whole, time loses its meaning, for there is nothing else relative to which the universe may be said to change. This 'vanishing' of time for the entire universe becomes very explicit in quantum cosmology, where the time variable simply drops out of the quantum description. It may readily be restored in the theory by considering the universe to be separated into two sub-systems: an observer with a clock, and the rest of the universe. So the observer plays an absolutely critical role in this respect. Linde [Andrei Linde, a physicist] expresses it graphically: "Thus we see that without introducing an observer, we have a dead universe, which does not evolve in time", and "we are together, the universe and us. The moment you say that the universe exists without any observers, I cannot make any sense out of this. I cannot imagine a consistent theory of everything that ignores consciousness...in the absence of observers, our universe is dead."
Paul Davies, The Goldilocks Enigma, p261.

Like much else in 'the new physics', this throws considerable doubt on the concept of the 'mind-independent reality'.
kennethamy

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 07:09 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;117217 wrote:
Perfectly reasonable assumption, but check this out:

Paul Davies, The Goldilocks Enigma, p261.

Like much else in 'the new physics', this throws considerable doubt on the concept of the 'mind-independent reality'.

Why can't Davies (or anyone) make sense of a universe without observers? I can. And most scientists can. If he means it, then that is his deficiency, not mine, nor sciences. I wonder how he can make sense of the question, "where was it that people evolved if it was not on Earth? And how did they get to Earth after they existed? And finally how did people do that if the Earth did not exist until it was observed?" As the King of Siam would have said, "It is a puzzlement". Another puzzlement is this: Nobody can really, truly say what anything is. Can't I say that cheese is made of curds and whey, with some salt and maybe rennet? And isn't that true?
And, if you deleted the adverbs from that sentence, wouldn't it be obviously false? It is just those adverbs that give it any plausibility it might have.
0 Replies