What is the Empirical World?

Zetherin

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 11:15 am
@paulhanke,
paulhanke wrote:
... this is just the old question, "If a tree fell in the forest and there was no one to hear it, would it make a sound?" in new clothes ... the answer to that question is "no" ... when the tree falls it still makes pressure waves in the atmosphere, but since there is no human subject equipped with the sensory apparatus to convert those pressure waves into the human sense of "sound", there is in fact no sound ... and likewise for color ...

But there's still a sound, even if there is no human there to experience it.

You disagree with this?
kennethamy

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 11:23 am
@paulhanke,
paulhanke;115889 wrote:
... yes, we can experience things which exist ... but that does not imply that this experience runs to any great depth - for example, you will never be able to know me like I know me ... nor does it imply that this experience is anything more than a sensory distortion of the "thing-in-itself" - for example (and to beat a dead horse), "red" ... so when you experience a thing which exists, does that exhaust all there is to know about it?

... it's more than a possibility - that's the way things are ... every one is subjectively experiencing the same mind-independent reality, but every one has his own subjective experience (the phenomenal world) ... and together, we construct an inter-subjective experience (the empirical world) ... there is considerable overlap between the the latter two, but they have their differences - as for the first, there's really not a whole lot we can infer about it (Schopenhauer tries to, but I think his logic is flawed) ...

... that's not quite the point ... the point is that our experience of what is mind-independently real is an aggregate of sensory impressions (the phenomenal world) which we know for a fact (through the social construction of the empirical world) does not exhaust all there is to know about the mind-independently real ... that the social construction of the empirical world is a work in progress also indicates that the empirical world does not exhaust all there is to know about the mind-independently real ... the question regarding whether or not the empirical world can ever be exhaustive, if answered, would simply give us an idea as to the limits of human knowledge (much like Godel's proof gives us an idea as to the limits of computable knowledge) ...

---------- Post added 12-31-2009 at 10:06 AM ----------

... this is just the old question, "If a tree fell in the forest and there was no one to hear it, would it make a sound?" in new clothes ... the answer to that question is "no" ... when the tree falls it still makes pressure waves in the atmosphere, but since there is no human subject equipped with the sensory apparatus to convert those pressure waves into the human sense of "sound", there is in fact no sound ... and likewise for color ...

So the ball is no longer red? What happened? It was red, wasn't it? Is it still round, or did that go away because we don't feel it? Does it have any shape at all? How do these things happen to the ball when nothing happened to the ball? Does the color come back when the light is turned on? Maybe the ball blushes. I was under the impression that the ball is still red, but that we just cannot see the color. But I guess that's wrong, eh?
0 Replies

paulhanke

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 11:33 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;115893 wrote:
But there's still a sound, even if there is no human there to experience it.

You disagree with this?

... yes, I disagree with this ... there are still pressure waves moving through the atmosphere, but there is no experience of sound ...

---------- Post added 12-31-2009 at 10:39 AM ----------

kennethamy;115894 wrote:
So the ball is no longer red? What happened? It was red, wasn't it? Is it still round, or did that go away because we don't feel it? Does it have any shape at all? How do these things happen to the ball when nothing happened to the ball? Does the color come back when the light is turned on? Maybe the ball blushes. I was under the impression that the ball is still red, but that we just cannot see the color. But I guess that's wrong, eh?

... it is still an object that reflects a certain wavelength of light whether or not there's a human around ... but "red" is a human name for a human experience - take away the human and his experience, and there is no "red" ... heck, just take away the fully functioning sensory apparatus, and there is no "red" - that is, what color is this red ball to someone who is color-blind? ... does "red" (or color, for that matter) even exist for someone who is color-blind? ...
kennethamy

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 11:39 am
@paulhanke,
paulhanke;115895 wrote:
... yes, I disagree with this ... there are still pressure waves moving through the atmosphere, but there is no experience of sound ...

Naturally, no one experiences sound if there is no one around. Who would think differently? But no one sees a cow unless there is someone around to see the cow either. But that does not mean that there are no unseen cows, or unheard sounds. "Heard sounds are sweet, but those unheard are sweeter still" John Keats.
paulhanke

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 11:44 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;115899 wrote:
or unheard sounds.

... which is exactly correct - since sound is one way a human experiences atmospheric pressure waves, by definition there can be no unheard sounds! Smile ...
kennethamy

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 11:47 am
@paulhanke,
paulhanke;115900 wrote:
... which is exactly correct - since sound is one way a human experiences atmospheric pressure waves, by definition there can be no unheard sounds! Smile ...

Hmm. I have been told that there are sounds that dogs can hear that we cannot because they are higher pitched sounds. In fact there are dog whistles that emit such sounds. Is that a lie?
ACB

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 12:47 pm
@paulhanke,
paulhanke;115895 wrote:
but "red" is a human name for a human experience - take away the human and his experience, and there is no "red" ... heck, just take away the fully functioning sensory apparatus, and there is no "red" - that is, what color is this red ball to someone who is color-blind? ... does "red" (or color, for that matter) even exist for someone who is color-blind? ...

If a small minority of the human race were able to experience infra-red radiation as a visible colour, would it be appropriate for the rest of us to describe an object emitting (only) infra-red radiation as "infra-red in colour"? What if 50% of people were able to see such radiation?

And if a black object started emitting infra-red radiation, would we say it had changed colour?
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 12:57 pm
@paulhanke,
paulhanke wrote:
does "red" (or color, for that matter) even exist for someone who is color-blind? ...

Just because someone cannot experience some thing, does not mean that that thing does not exist. Suppose someone is blind and deaf and cannot see or hear a car coming at them in the middle of the street. Is that car not coming at them in the middle of the street simply because that person can't see or hear the car coming?
kennethamy

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 12:59 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;115908 wrote:
Just because someone cannot experience some thing, does not mean that that thing does not exist. Suppose someone is blind and deaf and cannot see or hear a car coming at them in the middle of the street. Is that car not coming at them in the middle of the street simply because that person can't see or hear the car coming?

Subjective idealism still survives.
TickTockMan

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 01:10 pm
@kennethamy,
I don't know what you all are even going on about.

When are you Mind-Blips going to realize that you're
all just toys created by the Great Overmind. Which is, of course,
me . . . TickTockMan.

Without me, none of you would exist. There would be
nothing but empty space and me, and I am just a dream.

Sorry Mr. Clemens. You too.
0 Replies

Kielicious

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 03:12 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;115908 wrote:

You and Ken are arguing about two entirely different things. I already asked paul if he was a solipsist in disguise, hes not. Youre just not understanding what he is saying.
paulhanke

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 04:24 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;115901 wrote:
Hmm. I have been told that there are sounds that dogs can hear that we cannot because they are higher pitched sounds. In fact there are dog whistles that emit such sounds. Is that a lie?

... of course not - and just because there are wavelengths of light that we can't see doesn't mean that those wavelengths of light doesn't exist, either ... what it does mean is that higher frequency pressure waves in the atmosphere are not part of the phenomenal world, nor is infrared light ... of course, since we have prosthetic pressure sensors and prosthetic light sensors that can in fact detect these means they are part of the empirical world ...

---------- Post added 12-31-2009 at 03:27 PM ----------

ACB;115905 wrote:
If a small minority of the human race were able to experience infra-red radiation as a visible colour, would it be appropriate for the rest of us to describe an object emitting (only) infra-red radiation as "infra-red in colour"?

... sounds reasonable - and then it'd be perfectly correct to say that most people are color blind to "infra-red" ...

---------- Post added 12-31-2009 at 03:45 PM ----------

Zetherin;115908 wrote:
Just because someone cannot experience some thing, does not mean that that thing does not exist.

... okay, let me try to be perfectly clear: the basic assumption of both scientific realism and transcendental idealism is the existence of a mind-independent reality ... does that make it clear enough?
kennethamy

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 05:21 pm
@paulhanke,
paulhanke;115951 wrote:
... o. what it does mean is that higher frequency pressure waves in the atmosphere are not part of the phenomenal world,
---------- Post added 12-31-2009 at 03:27 PM ----------

I imagine that you are saying that there are sounds we cannot hear. That is just what I said. And if we had hearing as sharp as that of dogs' we would hear those sounds. Right?
paulhanke

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 05:39 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;115962 wrote:
I imagine that you are saying that there are sounds we cannot hear. That is just what I said. And if we had hearing as sharp as that of dogs' we would hear those sounds. Right?

... the distinction (if there is one) being that I have been using the word "sound" to denote the auditory experience of atmospheric pressure waves (in contrast to the visual and tactile experiences of the same) ... so perhaps I'll stick with the term "auditory experience" to avoid any further confusion Smile ...
TickTockMan

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 05:53 pm
@paulhanke,
paulhanke;115968 wrote:
I'll stick with the term "auditory experience" to avoid any further confusion"

"auditory experience . . . . ?"

Good grief. My eyes just rolled up so far in my head I saw my own brain.

I guess I'm not typing. I'm experiencing a finger enabled keyboard manipulation.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 06:07 pm
@Kielicious,
Kielicious;115938 wrote:
You and Ken are arguing about two entirely different things. I already asked paul if he was a solipsist in disguise, hes not. Youre just not understanding what he is saying.

Care to detail what I'm not understanding then? And what does Ken have to do with this? I was responding to paul.

paulhanke wrote:
... okay, let me try to be perfectly clear: the basic assumption of both scientific realism and transcendental idealism is the existence of a mind-independent reality ... does that make it clear enough?

What you have been speaking about is a "personal reality". Until you make clear what that is, you haven't made things clear enough.

Quote:
... the distinction (if there is one) being that I have been using the word "sound" to denote the auditory experience of atmospheric pressure waves (in contrast to the visual and tactile experiences of the same) ... so perhaps I'll stick with the term "auditory experience" to avoid any further confusion ...

There is no one experiencing the sound waves if no one is there. But there are still sound waves, even if no one is there. You agree or disagree? Sorry, I'm not understanding.
ACB

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 06:39 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;115973 wrote:
There is no one experiencing the sound waves if no one is there. But there are still sound waves, even if no one is there. You agree or disagree? Sorry, I'm not understanding.

It depends whether you define "sound waves" as "waves experienced auditorily" or "waves capable of being experienced auditorily". Once the definition is tightened up, the problem disappears.
0 Replies

paulhanke

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 06:57 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;115973 wrote:
What you have been speaking about is a "personal reality". Until you make clear what that is, you haven't made things clear enough.

... unfortunately, the reason for asking "What is the Empirical World" in the first place is because these things aren't clear Smile ... let me throw out some working definitions:

1) Phenomenal World: the world of subjective experience as mediated by human senses

2) Empirical World: the world of inter-subjective experience as mediated by technology and as agreed upon by consensus

3) Mind-Independent Reality: pretty much self-explanatory

Zetherin;115973 wrote:

... if you prefer to call them "sound waves", that's fine ... the reason I've been avoiding doing so is that it leads to some non-intuitive situations where you can see sound (e.g., the shock wave of a fighter jet accelerating through Mach 1) and feel sound (e.g., standing next to the speakers at a rock concert) ... but yes, of course - even if there is no one there to hear it, the falling tree still makes "sound waves" ...

---------- Post added 12-31-2009 at 06:06 PM ----------

TickTockMan;115971 wrote:
I'm experiencing a finger enabled keyboard manipulation.

... ick! - I hope you're wearing gloves!!! Smile
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 07:08 pm
@paulhanke,
paulhanke wrote:
... if you prefer to call them "sound waves", that's fine ... the reason I've been avoiding doing so is that it leads to some non-intuitive situations where you can see sound (e.g., the shock wave of a fighter jet accelerating through Mach 1) and feel sound (e.g., standing next to the speakers at a rock concert) ... but yes, of course - even if there is no one there to hear it, the falling tree still makes "sound waves" ...

Alright, so you acknowledge an external world. Good. I was confused for a second. What's next?
0 Replies

paulhanke

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 07:37 pm
@paulhanke,
... given those working definitions, what is there that can be said about the relationship among the three? ... for example, while there is significant overlap between the Phenomenal World and the Empirical World, there are also areas that are unique to each - the Empirical World doesn't include self-consciousness, and the Phenomenal World does not probe to the depth of the Empirical World ... so neither alone can exhaust Mind-Independent Reality ... throw mediation into the mix, and it could be that both together still cannot exhaust Mind-Independent Reality - especially if that mediation is mechanical as is currently the case in the Empirical World (given that Godel proved that there are limits to what can be mechanically known) ... so if we are to ever hope to exhaustively know Mind-Independent Reality, does this imply that we will have to create living prosthetic senses to probe into dimensions of Mind-Independent Reality we can't even currently imagine? ... or will another Godel come along and prove the limits of what can be humanly known? (perhaps by showing the limits of human imagination?) ...
0 Replies