Man and Woman

salima

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 05:49 pm
@Belial phil,
Belial;89693 wrote:
Ok, that makes sense.
Roles will be in relationships, naturally.
Even if both partners do the cleaning, for example, it's still a role. It's just a role that's filled by both of them.
But there's not much point in calling them roles if they're not pre-defined, you know?
Maybe it's just me, but when you say role the first thing I think of is something that's pre-determined.
I guess I just misunderstood you. Sorry. Surprised

no problem! and no apology necessary.Smile
most people to this day still believe there are pre-defined roles that must be filled, but i have always maintained that they become defined within the relationship as time goes on. they can be changed, for instance in the case of one partner being battered by the other and she suddenly wakes up one day and says 'i will not be the victim any more'. i am not discounting how difficult it is to get out of such an arrangement, but what i am saying is that we should be the ones to define our roles in relationships of all kinds, within marriage, within the larger family, within society or nation or world, even cosmos.
Caroline

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 07:01 pm
@salima,
salima;89695 wrote:
no problem! and no apology necessary.Smile
most people to this day still believe there are pre-defined roles that must be filled, but i have always maintained that they become defined within the relationship as time goes on. they can be changed, for instance in the case of one partner being battered by the other and she suddenly wakes up one day and says 'i will not be the victim any more'. i am not discounting how difficult it is to get out of such an arrangement, but what i am saying is that we should be the ones to define our roles in relationships of all kinds, within marriage, within the larger family, within society or nation or world, even cosmos.

I don't understand where you're making the comparisons with a victim of violence to roles within men and women, could you be more specific please? You say that she wakes up and suddenly decides not to become a victim, are you suggesting that she chose that role in the first place? Because if you're talking about definition then you have to see who defines these roles and who makes the choice and I'll think you'll find that victims of violence do not make that choice themselves and are infact vulnerable and vulnerable for what ever factors to having that choice made for them so I do not think that this is an example of the traditional roles within men and women. How does this apply to the roles within men and women?
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 07:53 pm
@Holiday20310401,
All I know is, women good, men bad. Let the women have their crack at ruling for a few thousand years. How much worse could it be?
Caroline

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 08:11 pm
@Holiday20310401,
I think a balance of both Krumple.
Krumple

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 08:17 pm
@Caroline,
Caroline;89754 wrote:
I think a balance of both Krumple.

See there you go again, always having to be fair... I gave you a chance to take over the world and you blew it.
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 08:20 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Hey now come on, I can be leader and my team are men!
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 06:46 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;89747 wrote:
All I know is, women good, men bad. Let the women have their crack at ruling for a few thousand years. How much worse could it be?

Here, here! I'm all for it.

Actually, as I understand it, many ancient cultures were matriarchal. If I look at my experiences and knowledge of what small behavioral differences we can attribute each gender, I'd be inclined to say I think human females are better suited to decision making and leading. I've no empirical basis for this - it's just my gut-feel.

xris

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 06:52 am
@Khethil,
They rule my world at least. When young i fooled myself I was the boss, but how silly i was. They are preprogrammed to trick us into a false sense of superiority and then we die defeated.
0 Replies

Marcus phil

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 08:48 am
@Holiday20310401,
In my opinion there's nothing wrong with this statement, apart from the fact that it is kind of nonsense. I mean, it has its meaning, but nothing to do with philosophy or knowlege. Maybe it sounds more like an aphorism...
However I disagree with it. It's not a matter of gender, but of person.
xris

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 10:51 am
@Marcus phil,
Gender does influence the character. Women generally are not confrontational or very aggressive.
Belial phil

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 11:22 am
@xris,
xris;89839 wrote:
Gender does influence the character. Women generally are not confrontational or very aggressive.

Depends on what you mean by gender.
Hormones may influence character. I doubt a penis or vagina is going to, though.
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 12:53 pm
@xris,
xris;89839 wrote:

... you'd have to meet my ex-wife :letme-at-em:
0 Replies

Teena phil

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 11:08 pm
@Holiday20310401,
If this simply means aggressive VS passive, I do generally agree. This doesnt in my opinion mean that a woman is a completely passive creature, but in relation to a man I do belive than a woman takes a more passive role (and I think quite happily). Personally I feel that I am completely capable however when I think of a man, there is a very strong appeal in someone more decisive, aggressive etc. I do not know many men that do not find any appeal in having those characteristics in relation to a woman.
I do certainly belive that a woman can have all the will in the world when the situation calls for it (also obviously depending on personality).
0 Replies