Man and Woman

nameless

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 01:55 am
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401;55618 wrote:
“Will is the manner of men, willingness the manner of women”.

Do you agree or disagree with this quote, and of course, why? My personal opinion is that it degrades women, but is this fair? Is the chemical makeup justified in itself?

Also, to what degree is this quote relevant?

To answer your last question first, it is the uttering of an obsolete science.
All generalities and stereotypes dissolve the closer one gets to knowing actual 'individuals'. And reality is such that no one is consistently 'the same' at all moments of one's existence; sometimes we are egoically pridefully willful, and other times selflessly 'willing', and at other times the whole spectrum in-between. All part of being human...
Holiday20310401

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 02:12 pm
@nameless,
I agree nameless; if this quote were to make any sense it would suggest that women and men are at fault for not balancing humility with independence.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 08:09 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401;61666 wrote:
Are you guys serious?! So you suppose that all of a sudden everyone 'realized' the cruelty...
It's history, what's so hard to believe? Slavery has nearly always ended because of extrinsic pressure from human rights advocates. It happened with slavery in the US, the transatlantic European slave trade, and forced labor in the Belgian Congo under Leopold II.

Human rights movements in today's world are generally not spearheaded by survivors of abuses either. How many people who work for Doctors Without Borders, Amnesty International, Human Rights Watch, etc have actually been a child soldier or a slave or a political prisoner before?
0 Replies

vajrasattva

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 03:25 pm
@Holiday20310401,
I think its the otherway around Will means wish
willingness means prompt to act or respond

Men act or responed to women they like
Women wish for men to get them

now granted this isnt always the case most people are balanced
we are all half mom and half dad but most of the time the women wish for us and we go and get them

now it also depends on the what context you use this in as well

in relationships (they say) that man wishes and women dose what man says the"re submissive

but whatever, you figure out the chick thing let me know

Dont get it???

God bless jessica alba
0 Replies

salima

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 09:24 am
@Holiday20310401,
"Will is the manner of men, willingness the manner of women".

to me this is not about men and women but about masculine and feminine aspects of human nature. the male manner (which i take to mean attitude, behavior, strategy) is that of will-action, while the female manner is that of willing-response. a proper response can be every bit as effective as any act. there is no judgment to be made here that one is good and the other bad.

i dont see anything to agree or disagree with, i think the person who spoke this quote is merely trying to express or illustrate something.
0 Replies

Psycobabble

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 10:47 pm
@Phosphorous,
Phosphorous;56414 wrote:
Medically, the drive to control and the willingness to submit has nothing to do with gender. More to do with a million host of factors that require careful testing and analysis. To simplify the two drives to something simple like gender is idiotic.

And then there's the fact that he gives no explanation for how gender determines these two drives.

In all of the lifeforms that evolution has evolved, only humans put a weaker and stronger, intellectual and not so, master and servant, aspect to gender identification.
If we disregard the body size and muscle mass distribution the female of the species has the same capabilities and ability to action outcomes as the males. The thread subject is about social imperatives, not some inate master/ subseviant psychosis that dwells within the confines of our male and female consciousness'.
There is no pre determined psychological roles assigned to males and females, social modification is the driver to the hunter gatherer ranking that has manifested itself as the primary social grace in all civilizations. As in dancing the male leads and the female follows, and so it should be as two combative characters do not assure a positive evolutionary outcome in creatures that practice monogamy. Evolution has eqipped men and women to suit the evolved role, but consider that our ancestor females were like all female animals, as capable of surving without the male (except for procreation) as the male was without the female.

---------- Post added 08-16-2009 at 03:25 PM ----------

salima;83439 wrote:

to me this is not about men and women but about masculine and feminine aspects of human nature. the male manner (which i take to mean attitude, behavior, strategy) is that of will-action, while the female manner is that of willing-response. a proper response can be every bit as effective as any act.

Well said, If females had the psychological profile of men there would be no living with them, and there would be no sex. Our mate must be compliant for the sake of the species. It is a role they fulfill, it is a social imperative that we males have fostered for our sanity.

An analogy to our patriarchal society's designation of females is Hitlers Germany. He indoctrinated the population by de humanising the scapegoat as inferior, but the motive was the fear of the capabilities of the jewish inteligencia and the economic control jews exerted internationally.

We designate females as the weaker sex, this culturally imbibes the female from cognition to see two distinct roles, differentiated by gender. We need the female to be subserviant, but understand that without us she will survive, she has the capability of being as autonomous as us. We know she is an equal but we need her to be subserviant, so we designate a role and limitations on capacity. As you succinctly put "an act of will".
Belial phil

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 01:25 pm
@Psycobabble,
Psycobabble;83533 wrote:

Well said, If females had the psychological profile of men there would be no living with them, and there would be no sex. Our mate must be compliant for the sake of the species. It is a role they fulfill, it is a social imperative that we males have fostered for our sanity.

An analogy to our patriarchal society's designation of females is Hitlers Germany. He indoctrinated the population by de humanising the scapegoat as inferior, but the motive was the fear of the capabilities of the jewish inteligencia and the economic control jews exerted internationally.

We designate females as the weaker sex, this culturally imbibes the female from cognition to see two distinct roles, differentiated by gender. We need the female to be subserviant, but understand that without us she will survive, she has the capability of being as autonomous as us. We know she is an equal but we need her to be subserviant, so we designate a role and limitations on capacity. As you succinctly put "an act of will".

Why do women need to be subservient?
0 Replies

Leonard

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 04:16 pm
@Holiday20310401,
I somewhat agree that men have will, but I don't necessarily say that women are simply 'willing'. They are much more than that, this quote is also too vague for me to go into much detail, but I disagree with it.
0 Replies

TheSingingSword

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 04:21 pm
@Holiday20310401,
I would agree, my only caveat being a substitution of masculine and feminine
0 Replies

Belial phil

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 06:23 pm
@Holiday20310401,
I don't have much willpower, and am biologically male.
The statement is a stereotype.
Then again, I generally consider myself transgender...:cool:
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 10:50 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401;55618 wrote:

Do you agree or disagree with this quote, and of course, why? My personal opinion is that it degrades women, but is this fair? Is the chemical makeup justified in itself?

Also, to what degree is this quote relevant?

It's not terribly relevant and I'd agree with most who've stated it's far too broad to really agree or disagree with. That being said...[INDENT] ... it strikes me as if someone was trying to capture, in a small package, one view on the differences between the sexes. I almost get the sense that the author perhaps was trying to romanticize the scene; as if courting roles in some Victorian love-play scenario.
[/INDENT]Yes, I could see how one might think it degrading to women. Although I must admit; of the scores of strong, willful and intelligent women I've known, I don't think many would have been terribly bothered by this brand of sentimentality. Who might, might not and why would vary from person to person.

Enjoying and celebrating our differences, especially in the joyful area of relationships is touchy; so little can be expressed without someone being offended one knows almost not what to do, really, anymore. For example, I was taught to respect the human female as an equal who's perhaps just a wee bit more special. But am I allowed to pick up this baby's bottle, having landed on the floor in the grocery and hand it to his mother as a simple act of courtesy or perhaps infinitesimal chivalry, or will I be scorned with the shriek, "What?! You don't think *I* could do that?".

Were I to choose, I'd say let slip those tender expressions of gender interaction without so much critique - that we should all lighten up some and allow ourselves some agency. This, like any other communication, ought be done in a respectful manner - let's just not obliterate all those nice differences in some well-intentioned zeal that might reduce our culture to washed-out androgyny.

Romantic expressions of love and gender-appreciation can be done without disrespect...

... or so I think
0 Replies

salima

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 11:55 pm
@Holiday20310401,
most of consensus seems to be that society believes women are treated as inferiors and not considered to be equal. (equal in what i have never quite understood-equal before the law, fine-equal in the eyes of god, fine-but get much further beyond those generalities and there will be disputes).

however from my vantage point, i would say men rule the world but women rule the men. and i dont like that arrangement either. but at least it does not allow women to say things like 'if we ruled the world there would be no war' because there are ways women could get war to end if they were interested at all in doing it. think about it...

the relationship between men and women is just a yin/yang dang thing but no one wants to accept their portion of the pot. watch this thread erupt into flames and self destruct...three, two, one...
Belial phil

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 07:30 am
@salima,
salima;89544 wrote:

the relationship between men and women is just a yin/yang dang thing but no one wants to accept their portion of the pot.

Their portion of the pot? :confused:
Are you saying that men and women do have specific roles that they should accept or am I misreading/misunderstanding that?
salima

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 07:51 am
@Belial phil,
Belial;89589 wrote:
Their portion of the pot? :confused:
Are you saying that men and women do have specific roles that they should accept or am I misreading/misunderstanding that?

i am saying they can assume whatever roles they are best suited for in any particular man/woman relationship. but each has to have certain roles-they cant both assume all the roles all the time. there has to be a give and take according to the participants. there has to be an overall balance, it cant be slanted towards one or the other.

you cant divide all the roles equally in half is what i mean. it would be like two people trying to drive one car at the same time.
Belial phil

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 08:05 am
@salima,
salima;89593 wrote:
i am saying they can assume whatever roles they are best suited for in any particular man/woman relationship. but each has to have certain roles-they cant both assume all the roles all the time. there has to be a give and take according to the participants. there has to be an overall balance, it cant be slanted towards one or the other.

you cant divide all the roles equally in half is what i mean. it would be like two people trying to drive one car at the same time.

But not all men are suited for masculine roles and not all women are suited for feminine roles.
And why can't two people fulfill the same 'roles', anyway?
What even counts as roles?

I know I'm pretty feminine and yet my partner is female, does that mean we're like two people trying to drive a car at the same time? It's certainly never felt like that.
salima

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 08:15 am
@Belial phil,
Belial;89598 wrote:
But not all men are suited for masculine roles and not all women are suited for feminine roles.
And why can't two people fulfill the same 'roles', anyway?
What even counts as roles?

I know I'm pretty feminine and yet my partner is female, does that mean we're like two people trying to drive a car at the same time? It's certainly never felt like that.

every human being has both a masculine and a feminine side, that is a fact. each person is more dominantly male or female in nature i would say, and the gay couples i have known are always composed of one of each as a representative from masculine and a feminine regardless of their biological sexes. they work it out as they wish.

what counts as roles, what i am considering for the purpose of discussion, would be like dividing daily life tasks. who is going to do the cooking, cleaning, shopping, who will manage the finances, who will take over maintenance of the property and goods.

what else counts as a role is the emotional balance of the couple-one most likely will be the stronger of the two and the other may be more dependent on their support. however in a healthy person even the weakest partner can muster up the strength when needed to support the stronger who for whatever reason is not operating at full capacity at any given time.

there are of course many more things involved, but i assume you can follow me from here. the roles are not necessarily accepted according to masculine and feminine according to biology but according to nature.
Caroline

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 09:25 am
@Holiday20310401,
I flip between the two, I can be/look really feminine and yet my mind thinks more masculine, I've also done one of those tests and it said I think more with a male mind, I will also fight if I have to and box, is that masculine? So I flip between the two all the time depending on the situation and the need that arises at the time. When I was a teen I often felt androgynous but now definately female, so I think you change and grow.
Thank you
0 Replies

Belial phil

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 01:17 pm
@salima,
salima;89602 wrote:
every human being has both a masculine and a feminine side, that is a fact. each person is more dominantly male or female in nature i would say, and the gay couples i have known are always composed of one of each as a representative from masculine and a feminine regardless of their biological sexes. they work it out as they wish.

what counts as roles, what i am considering for the purpose of discussion, would be like dividing daily life tasks. who is going to do the cooking, cleaning, shopping, who will manage the finances, who will take over maintenance of the property and goods.

what else counts as a role is the emotional balance of the couple-one most likely will be the stronger of the two and the other may be more dependent on their support. however in a healthy person even the weakest partner can muster up the strength when needed to support the stronger who for whatever reason is not operating at full capacity at any given time.

there are of course many more things involved, but i assume you can follow me from here. the roles are not necessarily accepted according to masculine and feminine according to biology but according to nature.

Ok I understand that, then.
But I don't agree with it at all.
Two people cleaning, or doing any other task, is nothing like two people trying to drive the same car. A car is specifically made for one person to control it, while a house is made so that one person can clean each room if they wanted to. Sometimes multiple people per room can work, depending on the house.
And shopping is much more fun when you do it together, if you both like shopping.
Such things need not be divided if both people in the relationship are good at them.
And I don't see why relationships need to have someone filling the role of support and someone filling the role of being dependent on support.
salima

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 05:22 pm
@Belial phil,
Belial;89641 wrote:
Ok I understand that, then.
But I don't agree with it at all.
Two people cleaning, or doing any other task, is nothing like two people trying to drive the same car. A car is specifically made for one person to control it, while a house is made so that one person can clean each room if they wanted to. Sometimes multiple people per room can work, depending on the house.
And shopping is much more fun when you do it together, if you both like shopping.
Such things need not be divided if both people in the relationship are good at them.
And I don't see why relationships need to have someone filling the role of support and someone filling the role of being dependent on support.

my analogy must be weak, it wont apply to all situations or aspects of a relationship, but i was thinking that there are not two chief financial officers in a company, for example, how can two people take care of the bookkeeping and financial matters? a do-everything-together arrangement would be great, i like sharing everything. but i still see roles. even if we dont create them intentionally, they happen within relationships, it is unavoidable. but what i am saying is that they are not pre-defined and no one should have to fit their relationship to match the definition of someone else.

you dont see any roles in relationship then? any thoughts about it?
Belial phil

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 05:41 pm
@salima,
salima;89689 wrote:
my analogy must be weak, it wont apply to all situations or aspects of a relationship, but i was thinking that there are not two chief financial officers in a company, for example, how can two people take care of the bookkeeping and financial matters? a do-everything-together arrangement would be great, i like sharing everything. but i still see roles. even if we dont create them intentionally, they happen within relationships, it is unavoidable. but what i am saying is that they are not pre-defined and no one should have to fit their relationship to match the definition of someone else.

you dont see any roles in relationship then? any thoughts about it?

Ok, that makes sense.
Roles will be in relationships, naturally.
Even if both partners do the cleaning, for example, it's still a role. It's just a role that's filled by both of them.
But there's not much point in calling them roles if they're not pre-defined, you know?
Maybe it's just me, but when you say role the first thing I think of is something that's pre-determined.
I guess I just misunderstood you. Sorry. Surprised